AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   Can anyone please, tell me how to get TStoATSC to work ??? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/525039-can-anyone-please-tell-me-how-get-tstoatsc-work.html)

gn2 03-28-2005 06:26 PM

I have several movies and programs in HD taped off a DCT6200 to DVHS tape. I want to put them on the computer, edit them, and put them back on DVHS tape. I can do everything EXCEPT get them back on tape without tons of dropouts. I've determined that I need to run the files through TStoATSC to get an ATSC compliant file bit-rate, but I can not for the life of me figure out how exactly to do that.
I FINALLY got some instruction from a computer programmer friend of mine about the basics of command line program use, so I can get the damn thing to run, but I end up with an empty file every stinking time.
Any ideas why ?
Also, how do I find the "PID's" ?
I have no clue what "PID's" are, and I also have no idea what "make sure they are in hex" means.
I'm NOT a computer engineer, and I don't understand the shorthand/code they speak in.
If someone who does understand, has been successful could please, please write out a short guide for dummies, I would be forever grateful.
Why can't there be a gui program to do this ??
For the lack of quality in the HD cable broadcasts in my area, I NEED to be able to fix stuff on the computer...

balazer 03-29-2005 11:28 AM

Have you read the TStoATSC readme?

gn2 03-29-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by balazer
Have you read the TStoATSC readme?
Yes I have read it, but I'm not a computer engineer, and I needed some of the most basic things explained to me before I could get it to work.
For instance, you must put the program in the same place as the files(at least I had to). I also found out you could do it without specifying the "PID's" which is good because I still don't know in what form to type them. A more exact example would help me because I don't understand what "pids must be in hexadecimal form" means.
I did get it to work, with the gracious help of another expert in this area who emailed me some great explanations with screen captures that I could leave up while doing my own to compare. Seeing the screen captures of what my command lines should look like was the biggest help.
The program works great, BTW. I was able to get a great file for re-archiving to DVHS tape, only thing is the DD5.1 drops out momentarily quite a bit.
OT: balazer: Just wondering if you're a golfer ? Have you ever played "Bristol Harbour" in Canandagua ? Its a great course, just south of you...

balazer 03-29-2005 09:35 PM

No, I am not a golfer.

TStoATSC does not need to be in the same directory as your files. The easiest thing would be to put it somewhere in your path (like c:\\winnt\\system32), and then in your shell, set the current directory to where the files are before running TStoATSC. (e.g., if they are in d:\\video, type d: and then cd video) You can also specify the full path to the files on the command line. If the filename or path has spaces in it, enclose it in quotation marks.

My version, at least, requires PIDs to be specified on the command line. You can use TSReader Lite to find the PIDs. Open the file with TSReader's file reader source. Then look at the preview thumbnails in the right. Match the program number with a program number in the left. Click the program number in the left. The top middle pane will tell you the audio and video PIDs.

I believe TSReader reports all PIDs in hex by default, so you can just copy those numbers as you see them from the TSReader window to the TStoATSC command line, e.g. 11 and 14.

balazer 03-29-2005 09:37 PM

I don't know where the audio dropouts come from. You can try TStoATSC3 with different audio offsets to see if that fixes it.

gn2 03-30-2005 03:27 AM

What exact format should I write different audio offsets to see if that has an effect ?
I have a decent a/v receiver, and it displays a "dialog offset +4" notice sometimes, would that mean that I add a "4" to the command line ?

balazer 03-30-2005 07:48 AM

No, the dialog normalization parameter is completely unrelated. I can't tell you what audio offset would work. You'd just have to experiment.

gn2 03-30-2005 06:07 PM

Can you give me any information about it ? Is it a small range ? Is it a single digit number ? Any way to determine the correct number ??
I'm hearing from other people that the small audio dropouts are not uncommon after using TStoATSC, is there any way to avoid them ?

balazer 03-30-2005 06:09 PM

There is no way to determine the correct number. It is just a hack that works sometimes. Read the readme for examples. I have no idea why some people get audio dropouts after using TStoATSC.

robena 03-31-2005 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by balazer
There is no way to determine the correct number. It is just a hack that works sometimes. Read the readme for examples. I have no idea why some people get audio dropouts after using TStoATSC.
Actually, TStoATSC is not causing the drops.

If anything, it makes them better and has been a tremendous help to me and many people.

But some streams are really weird, and they need a full remux which is out of the scope of TST.

And even properly remuxed, some streams still don't agree well with JVCs.

gn2 03-31-2005 05:49 PM

Is there a "how to" guide anywhere that tells how to do a "full remux" ?
I realize its likely very difficult, but I'd really like to get as perfect copies as possible, and I'm willing to try anything...
What is causing the small audio dropouts ? Any idea ? Any suggestions as to what I can do to get rid of them ??

robena 04-01-2005 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gn2
Is there a "how to" guide anywhere that tells how to do a "full remux" ?
Here.

koik69 05-09-2005 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gn2
I have several movies and programs in HD taped off a DCT6200 to DVHS tape. I want to put them on the computer, edit them, and put them back on DVHS tape. I can do everything EXCEPT get them back on tape without tons of dropouts. I've determined that I need to run the files through TStoATSC to get an ATSC compliant file bit-rate, but I can not for the life of me figure out how exactly to do that.
I FINALLY got some instruction from a computer programmer friend of mine about the basics of command line program use, so I can get the damn thing to run, but I end up with an empty file every stinking time.
Any ideas why ?
Also, how do I find the "PID's" ?
I have no clue what "PID's" are, and I also have no idea what "make sure they are in hex" means.
I'm NOT a computer engineer, and I don't understand the shorthand/code they speak in.
If someone who does understand, has been successful could please, please write out a short guide for dummies, I would be forever grateful.
Why can't there be a gui program to do this ??
For the lack of quality in the HD cable broadcasts in my area, I NEED to be able to fix stuff on the computer...
Paul,

Can you give me any hints on how to use the TSTOATSC? I'm happy you got it to work, maybe you can help me. I tried following the instructions too but the program seems to hang up and the file created was empty; how long does the conversion take? I might be able to figure out the PID's from one of the post in this thread. I think I'm very close.

kirk
koik69@yahoo.com

balazer 05-09-2005 01:01 PM

Sounds like you are not specifying the correct PIDs. Use TSReader Lite to find the PIDs.

gn2 05-09-2005 01:07 PM

Kirk: Someone else sent me a copy of the program that finds the PID's automatically, or maybe they all do that, I'm not sure ??
For me to get it to work, I just put the program in the same place as my files, ie. I put the program exe just in my D: drive, not in any directory or folder or anything. Then I start a command prompt, change the prompt to the correct drive, then type in dir so I can see the exact file name of the big movie file, then type tstoatsc and leave a space, then " quotation mark, then the file I want to converts name exactly as it appears in the dir of the drive, then I just push enter. I know its working when the PID's come up and the cursor goes to the left side of the screen and sits there blinking.
It takes quite a long time, some movies seem to give it difficulty and are very slow, most are about as long as the movie runs.
You can specify the file name of the completed conversion if you want after the file name of the one you're doing, just leave a space, and put the name you want it to be in "s.
You can email me if you want a copy of the version that finds PID's automatically.
Sometimes the program shows alot of stuff while it works, sometimes it just sits there till its done. I have one program that I've tried to run through it that only produces an empty file, but only one, every other movie I've processed with it worked great.

koik69 05-09-2005 02:11 PM

Paul,

Thanks for your time and effort. I will try it! I'll email you for the program to find the PID's.

kirk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.