AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Jeff Beck Kicks Ass!!!!!!!! now back to discussing the great 942

Dan, Dish just added support for external devices in the latest software release, external USB drives can't be far off now

Those who are sticking with the Tivo are also sticking with HD-Lite from Directv, picture quality between the two providers is not even close

-Gary

Are you referring to upcoming Dish products that go beyond the limited hours of SD of the Pocketdish line? Or are you saying that other USB drives might be used for HD recording with the new software?

Either way this would be very good although the latter probably less expensive.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 200 Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

I think he's referring (in part) to the proposed functionality of archiving media to external USB hard drives. That's something I'm EXTREMELY keen on seeing become reality. Your 942 encrypts the media (it's protected from piracy) and you, the legal user, get to stash recordings for future reloading and viewing, saving the narrow overhead on the DVR for more recording...in other words, real HD fair use.

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #93 of 200 Old 10-05-2005, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, so is it a certainty that Dish will allow us to use large enough USB hard drives to record HD on? From reading this thread, I can't tell if it's just our wishful thinking or not.
post #94 of 200 Old 10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dish announced it was going to allow the use of sending 942 recordings off to external hard drives, it was announced a while back

Dish just recently Did what I think starts turning this promise into reality, the latest software released has a menu option called "Multimedia" inside that are some menus for "Transferring" and "photos"

the photos option works as we speak, you can connect a USB device up and transfer photos onto the 942's hard drive, their is a section labeled "My Photos" were they are stored

Dish will be releasing the pocket dish soon, which will work under the transferring menu, we could get support for external hard drive transferring at anytime now

Dish said it was allow only specific external USB hard drives, Etc.

Also remember that the recordings stored on the 942 receivers can be played between all 942 units(and even BEV), I have personally moved hard drives around between multiple different 942's and they all playback other units recordings fine

The recordings inside the 942 are encrypted for usage only on the 942's guts which decrypt's during playback, so if any knuckleheads are thinking of off-loading 942 recording's when you get them on a external hard drive think again, they are useless but for anything but playback on the 942 hardware

being that recordings can be transferred between 942 units, a whole new world of illegal trading could be started by groups of 942 users, I wouldn't be surprised if Dish changed the code inside the 942 receivers to encrypt it for playback in that receiver only(this is the way the 921 was), but then if a dude had 10 external hard drives worth of 942 recordings and his 942 went belly up he would be screwed because they couldn't be played back on another 942, I think dish will prolly stick to not using per receiver encryption for the time being

I don't think you will be able to record onto the external hard drives connected to the 942, you will first record to the 942's main hard drive and then use the transfer menu to transfer stuff from the 942's main drive onto a external connected drive, then delete the recording from the main, I also think that vice versa, one will have to transfer the recording from the external drive onto the units main drive to be able to view it

-Gary
post #95 of 200 Old 10-05-2005, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

OK Gary, thanks. All that info is great, but the original question still remains. Is it a certainty that Dish will enable USB hard drives that are large enough to handle HD? You mentioned in another thread early on that Dish was only considering smaller drives that would only be good for SD recording. Where do we stand now? I mean, let's talk numbers...250 gigs, 300, 400??
post #96 of 200 Old 10-06-2005, 06:14 AM

You know what they say... There are only two certainties in life.
If you want a certainty you'll have to wait for April 15th, a visit from the grim reaper, or an announcement from Dish.
post #97 of 200 Old 10-06-2005, 07:32 AM

Is there anywhere to get documentation on the new photo feature? I'd like to know what it expects for photo size, what transformations it does before posting, etc.

Also, as far as the ability to add external HD's via the USB port, where has Dish said that? The only thing I have found is that they will support pocket dish in the future...

/Sean
post #98 of 200 Old 10-06-2005, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't think you will be able to record onto the external hard drives connected to the 942, you will first record to the 942's main hard drive and then use the transfer menu to transfer stuff from the 942's main drive onto a external connected drive, then delete the recording from the main, I also think that vice versa, one will have to transfer the recording from the external drive onto the units main drive to be able to view it

What a PITA.

While I love watching HD material, there hasn't been anything I've recorded that is worth the hassle of downloading it to another disk, then uploading it back in order to see it again.

Seems the thread lost steam on the topic of changing out HDs. I'd like to have more time on my drive. I'm not sure what size it is.

Thanks
Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 200 Old 10-06-2005, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The external drives will be whatever Dish authorizes one to use

500GB Seagates in a custom external enclosure??
only WDC/Maxtor Pre-made 160GB external drives??

Etc. Etc. thousands of options

no one knows what dish will say we can use, heck they could say we could connect up to a Home Server via USB

Roger I am just speculating on what is the probable outcome, it makes perfect sense though by looking at the new menus in the 942

you guys could already set-up hard drive swapping in the 942, it's very simple, boy I would think about doing it again if 250GB prices were down to 50$

Jedi
yes, bottom line, we will be able to handle HD recordings with all of this

-Gary
post #100 of 200 Old 10-07-2005, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Gary. I hope so.
post #101 of 200 Old 10-07-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediPunisher View Post

Ok, thanks Jeff. It looks like the switch to HDTV is going to be more problematic than I expected.

The ability to record the major HD networks is very important to me. I currently have Dish Network with a 510 dvr, and the quality is much better than cable. That leaves me with two options... Switch to Comcast Digital cable with their HD DVR and endure their poor picture quality for most channels, or upgrade to a Dishplayer 942 and mount an antenna on my roof for HD locals. I might just switch to Comcast for now; it's the cheaper/easier option. I have a feeling that Dish Network & DirectTV are going to be hemorrhaging customers until they expand their HD lineup.

Does anyone know when DishNetwork is going to add the HD networks?
Why isn't there an ATSC or QAM/Cablecard HD-Tivo?

Actually, Sony does make such a device, and I own one. It is the DHGHDD250 or 500. the former has a 250 gig hardrive and record 30 to 40 hours of HD. The second has 2 250Gig drives. It uses TV Guide for programming, so it isn't as slick as TIVO and Replay TV. It also has only one tuner. I still am very happy with it as I have a QAM tuner built into my TV so I can still watch one and record one. I can also watch a recorded program while something else records.

I don't watch enough TV to justify paying for digital cable. In fact I just have the $14/month package and I still get all of the local HD channels, which in Denver are tough to get over the air. You can use an antenna as well as cable with it.

The only downside is the expense. It lists at $799 with the 250 gig drive, $1000 with 500. My TVguide works fine, but some areas of the country have had trouble with it.

So, now you know. You can get your local channels in HD and record them and you don't have to give much $ to the cable company.

If you don't need to record your local HD channels you can get a QAM tuner from Samsung or LG for about $250 that will turn you analog cable into HD.

Good luck, Lew
post #102 of 200 Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 AM

Quote:

being that recordings can be transferred between 942 units, a whole new world of illegal trading could be started by groups of 942 users

Gary I can't see people sending HDD's all over the place to watch a recorded show, worse case senario would be taking the drive over to a friend or family members place to watch a show. Hardly a "sky is falling", people are stealing content.

Quote:

-Gary

This would kinda defeat the purpose of an external drive...I would want a external to offload content because my HDD is getting full. Now if I offload to the external drive, and keep filling the internal, how do I watch previous content if the internal and/or the external drives are full?

Alt
post #103 of 200 Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Alt, the stuff on the Dish Hard drives can already be off loaded to your PC with proper software, you cannot view it or decrypt it in anyway, but what is stopping someone from offloading the content putting it up for download, another 942 user downloading, and playing back in his 942??

not to far fetched if you think about, people are downloading 10GB DVD's every day as we speak, not to mention the disgrace that is Alt Binaries HDTV, stuff like this is why the new optical formats are gonna require a pint of blood for every viewing of the disc

-Gary
post #104 of 200 Old 10-26-2005, 06:01 AM

Hope this is the right place to bring this up....

I'm looking for a DVD recorder, mainly for my MiniDV cam corder. The process of uploading video to a PC or MAC, editing, etc., can be combersome when all I want to do is make a quick copy of a tape for backup purposes, so a DVD recorder with firewire in on the front is a simple solution, I think.

I'm also curious if there are any options that would work well with the 942 and my current set-up. While my TV has an HDMI input, I actually use the component outs on the 942 to go directly to my receiver. So in theory I think I could use the HDMI output of the 942 to go to a DVD recorder that has HDMI in or perhaps DVI in (though then I may have an audio issue). I know there may be some copy protection issues here... My goal isn't to build a large library of content. I mostly want to offload the HD has I find the 250GB drive isn't enough. I also know I won't get HD quality.

Alternatively I could run the component out of the 942 into a DVD recorder and then run component out from that to my receiver, but having the signals go through another device is something I'd like to aviod if possible.

Maybe DVHS is a better option? Though I really want my camcorder stuff on DVD.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sean
post #105 of 200 Old 10-26-2005, 11:40 AM

Hey all - I am new to this thread, but want to state some facts which should be

known by all potential 942 buyers...

BUY THIS UNIT WITH CAUTION!!! In many ways it is a HORRIBLE experience!

My background and comparison info:
I have owned TIVO units (3) since they first came out many, many years ago. I

have had Dish, including the first 921 in our area of So. Cal, as well as the

942 almost as soon as it came out. I am also a software design engineer and

systems developer. One of my primary responsibilities over the years is the

development of user interfaces.

The 942 I purchased was supposed to be a better unit than the 921 and fix the

921's software and programming issues. To a great extent it is a MUCH poorer

interface than the 921. Thus - despite many positive reviews of the 942 - an

advanced TIVO user or person who likes to get out of a DVR the ability to make

smart recording decisions - will feel ripped off, lied too, and incredibly short

changed!

On the record - I do not like Tivo as a company. They don't make money, put

advertising on your unit (changing channels late at night and other offenses),

and have horrible customer service (some have had good experiences, others

nightmares). Dish has long wait times (sometimes), but their customer service

seems friendly and eager to help. Kudos to them, on the other hand I would have

preferred not to have had to call for support at least 2 hours a month since i

have had their systems!

But there is no comparison with Tivo (at least the Non-HD ones I have had) and

Dish. Tivo does NOT have issues. IT IS ROCK SOLID. The software for

recording, making programming decisions, and it's guide quality are 10 years

ahead of dish. Using the 921, and 942 for the same type of recording issues as

a TIVO is like going backwards from a Lexus - to a Soviet patched up Gulag

mobile... It will get you there but you will be in pain, will have lost skin,

will have broken down, and will arrive at your destination dirty and relatively

unhappy!

Some of the issues with this 'beta unit' are as follows:

1) Dependability. Much better than the 921 - but not ready for prime time.

Still locks up from time to time and has issues where it needs to be reset,

especially when you are watching your favorite show!!!

If you are a die-hard sports fan - this is not the unit for you. You take a

chance watching a sporting event that if you hit the rewind, review, back,

forward buttons, that the unit will lock up, or that it will do a 'freeze' where

you hear the audio, but the video picture is in a 'pause' mode where you can

forward or backward, but never see anything but a 'still' picture of what you

are watching. Dish says to reboot - but of course anything watched to that

point is gone. Try watching the world series under this scenario and prepare

for major disappointment. Remember - the 942 was supposed to be dependable. It

is less dependable than any technology item I own... And i own them all! Even

Windows XP doesn't lock up anymore... and they don't control their own

environment like the 942 does... It is just a poorly designed and non-

bulletproof box.

2) Software. HORRIBLE! If any developer working for me wrote a system like

this - they would be fired for incompetence. I wish that some of you who rave about this box would have had the pleasure of using Tivo - you don't know what you have been missing!

Just off the top of my head, and without sitting down at the unit and writing a very specific technical article - some specific issues:

- The 942's ability to do season passes (Dishpass) is a horrible interface. It asks you to type in the name of your show - and then makes a dishpass out of the letters you entered. Even the 921 brought up the names of the different shows it found, allowing you to pick the one you want. WIth the 942 it actually just takes the letters and makes the pass. Example - Type in a show name, it will not take the one you want and will not give you a chance to agree or refine your choice. Like most of the features of this unit - they tried to make it simpler in deference to problems with the 921, making it, in my opinion almost completely unusable.

- While watching the baseball game last night - on Fox, a channel Tivo has no time capturing every nuance of their programming, in the off air mode - you just get 'DIGITAL EVENT' or something. When i press the record button to record the rest of the game - I get:
THE FOLLOWING TIMERS WILL NOT BE RECORDED:
Then a list of all 13.... Thats right all 13 events which are in my system for the whole week show up, each as "LOCKED EVENT" (even though i use no security and they are not locked!!!). Thus you cannot record what you are watching - unless you manually go to every event in the timer menu (about the worst piece of user interface software ever written!) and remove each timer from that night manually... All just to try and make a choice in what you want to record.

- The worst offender (in my opinion) of the software is conflict resolution. In Tivo - it clearly states what show would be missing and asks you how to solve the conflict. Even the 921 - while cutting off most of the info you need to see the show name, gave you the option of deciding how to resolve the conflict you just created by trying to record a show by pressing the record button.... Here is how the 942 does it:

CONFLICT - Resolve by a) Priority List, b) Override priority with this show (something to that effect..)
NEVER SHOWS YOU WHAT THE CONFLICT IS....
DOES NOT HAVE A 'CANCEL BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!' - CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! ONCE YOU HAVE PRESSED THE RECORD BUTTON YOU MUST GO FORWARD! LOSE YOUR SHOWS ON TIMER (You have no idea of what they are as this 'new' software does not list the conflicts... WHich even the 921 did!!!), or move new recording to the bottom of the conflict pile.

This is inexcusable... There should be a bright red label on the box: Warning - the software in this unit has been written by the Dish Network CEO's high school son and his friends... It was an extra credit project. Of course I am kidding... I don't think any legitimate high school student would want their name associated with this software.

- The menus are horrible - even less informative than the 921. The Dishpass system sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.. Of course my 921 didn't record my Sunday night shows... I suspect it needs a reboot - of course you don't know this till you realize that you might miss your show...

I love my weekly shows (ER, Desperate Housewives, Grays Anatomy), but am tired of going into the bedroom (where the 921 is) to verify the red light came on... Also (just an aside on the 921) If it's boston legal which was recorded it shows up as the show before (Commander in chief (or whatever)) as that recorded (0 minutes) (60 minutes boston legal) (0 minutes Nightly news)... Pretty funny! for years I have had to actually WATCH THE BEGINNING OF EACH SHOW.. VERIFY what i asked for was what the title is, then make a decision.

The Dish network HD PVR's suck your life away in small unhappy increments. Should anyone require exact technical examinations of each specific user interface issues, I will try to comply in the future - but I am busy and not a big writer of Blogs, AVSforums, etc.

While this seems like venting - it's been a long time coming. If you want something which works out of the box - do not go with Dish. The software is crap and the dependability of the units is poor. I only went with Dish because Tivo had no HD capability. I only wish that Dish had a quality software team on this project - and that they created good engineering - not a horrific, poorly designed piece of trash.

I NEVER write items like this. I do not normally vent. I am a great believer in fixing problems, not complaining about them. But.... Enough is enough... $1,000.00 for a 921... I became the 'beta' site for this unit. $1,000.00 for the 942... Was promised it was a quality unit... Have taken a HUGE step backwards.

If you are a technical user - don't buy this unit.

p.s.!!! Picture quality rocks!!!

p.p.s. I could list 20-30 interface issues with this system - I have only mentioned a few of the absolutely worse ones!

Creating TekClub - The Hi-Tech Business, Education & Social Club
post #106 of 200 Old 10-29-2005, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I fell your pain, you should know that the 942 is in a current state of software hell, the receiver was perfect 3 months back, after the new software was released, L281. you unit took a step back farther than the 921 into hell basically, beleive me dish is working on a update that will fix everything, keep up with the latest on dbstalk.com in the 942 support forum

my 921 was never in near the shape that the 942 was in, the 921 was perfect compared to the current state of the 942, beleive me though the 942 was a different machine even 2 months back, better than the 921

-Gary

-Gary
post #107 of 200 Old 10-29-2005, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Well, my 921 hasn't exactly taken a great leap forward either.

I can no longer watch TV in 2 rooms at once, have to switch back and forth.

Also, menus constantly freeze up and I have to reboot....cost me a couple of recordings I didn't want to miss.

Why the h___ don't they ever just leave things alone?

Dave

post #108 of 200 Old 10-29-2005, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree that the current 942 software sucks!! If Dish is aware that this version is so bad, why don't they just return us to the previous version until the next update is available?
post #109 of 200 Old 10-30-2005, 05:37 AM

cyphire - thanks very much for the thorough explanation of the 942 defects. While I haven't experienced all of the problems that you described, I have some of these "issues." I thought it was my misuse of the machine.

Yesterday, like always, I let a football game go on for an hour before watching it. I then rewound the machine the hour so that I could skim through the commercials. With 25 minutes to go, the machine would only play in 4X speed. If I would reboot, the game would be over. So I had to watch the remainder in the speed up mode.

I agree with everything you said and if I had it to do over, I would not purchase the 942.
post #110 of 200 Old 10-30-2005, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

People need to start filing Consumer Fraud complaints with the FTC.

- Tim

- Tim
post #111 of 200 Old 10-31-2005, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dish has been rolling the dice for years with HD customers mainly, only reason folks are still with them is because of the quality of the HD signals

If the HDNets ever showed up on C-Band, it would be bye bye Dish for me

-Gary
post #112 of 200 Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Does anybody make upgrade kits for the Hard Drives in these units like they do for Tivo?

Thanks.
post #113 of 200 Old 10-31-2005, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nope they do not, the software will not see any larger size than 250GB, it's software partitions the same size area for recording time if you insert a 250gb or 500GB

-Gary
post #114 of 200 Old 11-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm thinking of buying a 942. I have a question on how it displays the program guide for OTA stations. On my 6000, you can pick the network affiliation for the analog stations but not the digital. Then it displays the primetime programming schedule for whatever network affiliate you choose. How does it work on the 942? Can you pick the network affiliation for a digital station? If so, when you select that network program, is the setup for recording the same as a channel like HBO or TBS, etc?

What networks are available for selection? On my 6000, they only have affiliations for ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Thanks in advance for the info.
post #115 of 200 Old 11-02-2005, 03:43 PM

The 942 doesn't work the same way as the 6000 for OTA guide information. Unfortunately, the guide information will only show up if you subscribe to your locals.
post #116 of 200 Old 11-03-2005, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
To be sure you understand, it only shows guide information for those locals that you subscribe to. So, for example, you will most likely pull in several other digital channels, PBS channels, etc, and they will show no guide. Just a generic name in the time slot...something like Digital Station (I forget teh exact text).

Thanks
Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #117 of 200 Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 AM

I have checked with all the local stores in my area that show up on the Dish Network site as selling Dish HD receivers. None of them have any receivers. Does anyone know the best on-line retainler with the best price. I wouldn't mind a 921 if the price is right otherwise a 942.
post #118 of 200 Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 AM

I called Dish and they said that they would sell me a DVR 942 for $799 which included installation. I went on ebay and got a brand new one for $200 less. It should arrive Monday. From what I've been reading it sounds like downloading software revisions might be optional? If so, should I download the newest version or leave the version it shipped with on it?
post #119 of 200 Old 11-12-2005, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the software on the 942 has been updated from 281 to 282. This version seems to be working better, though I haven't spent a lot of time with it. Any comments?
post #120 of 200 Old 11-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post

I called Dish and they said that they would sell me a DVR 942 for $799 which included installation. I went on ebay and got a brand new one for $200 less. It should arrive Monday. From what I've been reading it sounds like downloading software revisions might be optional? If so, should I download the newest version or leave the version it shipped with on it?

The new software will download automatically. I have not seen any reports of users being able to prevent downloads. 282 is better than the last, so in this case that's a good thing.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page