Dish 942 notes and comments - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 200 Old 11-15-2005, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Geez, guys, this is scary stuff.
I am just about to purchase either Dish or Directv with their HD-PVR.
Would you all advise that I go with Directv ?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 200 Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 PM

Not at all. My Dish 942 has been running great. With the latest update(282) I can now receord HD on the 2nd tuner.

....I just wish the DVR was always recording Thats my only complaint.
post #123 of 200 Old 11-16-2005, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxl7 View Post

Geez, guys, this is scary stuff.
I am just about to purchase either Dish or Directv with their HD-PVR.
Would you all advise that I go with Directv ?
Thank you.

If you go to the site that discusses the DirecTV HD recorder, you'll find plenty of issues there too.

The 942 offers a lot more functionality, at least it did for my needs. That is, cabability to watch the 2nd tuner in a different room, across the cable.

I have experienced some of the frustrations that are listed here, but not all of them by any means, and it has been quite enjoyable.
post #124 of 200 Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM

I can only comment about DIsh network. The most important decision for me staying with Dish for so long is that they offer great upgrade paths for their EXISTING customers. I don't think any technology provider does as good a job at taking care of their customers as DISH network.

A yhear or so ago I was looking for a replacement remote, and through a sat installer found out that you could contact DISH, and as an existing customer, upgrade to a DVR and nwe dish and get it all installed plus hdwe for $150! Great deal.

Now I have upgraded to the 811 for $50 plus $5/month.

THey want to keep me as a customer, and it's easy why.
post #125 of 200 Old 11-16-2005, 06:34 PM

I tried all the codes but none control my Sony 7100ES Receiver. Any ideas?
post #126 of 200 Old 11-18-2005, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSr View Post

Not at all. My Dish 942 has been running great. With the latest update(282) I can now receord HD on the 2nd tuner.

Can you explain this a bit more??? You can now record 2 HD shows at the same time???

thanks,

Kipp

Mits 1080p DLP WD-52628
Mits WT-46809
Dish HD DVR 942
Sony DVP-NS70H
post #127 of 200 Old 11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The 942 has 2 sat tuners/1 OTA tuner, one can record 2 hd channels from Dish at once, even while viewing a recorded show, you can record 2 hd channels from Dish and 1 OTA hd channel even at the same time, again while viewing a recorded event

-Gary
post #128 of 200 Old 11-18-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:

....I just wish the DVR was always recording Thats my only complaint.

Mine won't do that (record HD on the 2nd tuner). Do I have to do something to get the update, or is it automatic?
post #129 of 200 Old 11-18-2005, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

what the heck are you guys talking about??, are you saying that the 942 won't record a Dish HD channel on the second tuner?? if you are recording while viewing another channel you are using the second tuner

-Gary
post #130 of 200 Old 11-19-2005, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C. View Post

Mine won't do that (record HD on the 2nd tuner). Do I have to do something to get the update, or is it automatic?

Dont really know. When I first had the unit installed the 2nd tuner(not the OTA) would receord on hi-def channels but in SD. Now the 2nd tuner receords the HD channels in HD.

I do not have anything running into the OTA tuner yet.
post #131 of 200 Old 11-19-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Dont really know. When I first had the unit installed the 2nd tuner(not the OTA) would receord on hi-def channels but in SD. Now the 2nd tuner receords the HD channels in HD.

I do not have anything running into the OTA tuner yet.

That's the problem I have, the 2nd tuner will record the HD channels, but not replay it in HD. I'll have to double check and see if that has changed recently.
post #132 of 200 Old 11-19-2005, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

That's the problem I have, the 2nd tuner will record the HD channels, but not replay it in HD. I'll have to double check and see if that has changed recently.

I just recorded three short segments 1st- without a trace in hd tuner 1. 2nd-untouchables in hd tuner 1. 3rd racing stripes in hd tuner 1. went to dvr menu and began playback from beginning and all three programs which were recorded at the same time (check guide-all start at 7"00) are playing in hd. All three show up in hd when the tuner is not in shared mode. ran same setup in shared mode and all three shows are still in hd when started over. I have never had a hd recorded program not playback in hd whether tuner 1 or 2.
post #133 of 200 Old 11-19-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug7669 View Post

I just recorded three short segments 1st- without a trace in hd tuner 1. 2nd-untouchables in hd tuner 1. 3rd racing stripes in hd tuner 1. went to dvr menu and began playback from beginning and all three programs which were recorded at the same time (check guide-all start at 7"00) are playing in hd. All three show up in hd when the tuner is not in shared mode. ran same setup in shared mode and all three shows are still in hd when started over. I have never had a hd recorded program not playback in hd whether tuner 1 or 2.

Admittedly, I have only had my 942 for a few weeks, but this is good news to know. I figured I had to have it in single mode, which most of the time I do not. I still didn't realize I could record up to 3 shows at once even in single mode!

thanks,

Kipp

Mits 1080p DLP WD-52628
Mits WT-46809
Dish HD DVR 942
Sony DVP-NS70H
post #134 of 200 Old 11-19-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Are you saying you can record three shows at once? How the heck can you do that with 2 tuners? All I know is, when something records on tuner 2 it plays back in SD, and if I am watching HD on tuner one and one of my timers wants to record something else, it changes channels. If I try to go back to what I was watching, it tells me that it will stop recording if I change channels, and my timed event won't be recorded. With Tivo it would just switch me to the other tuner and I could go on.
post #135 of 200 Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Are you saying you can record three shows at once? How the heck can you do that with 2 tuners? .

There are three tuners on the 942. Two satelite tuners and one ota tuner. You can record three streams at once and still watch one dvr program so in reality the 942 can handle four steams at once. Each of the four streams can be shown in hd if they are broadcast in hd.
post #136 of 200 Old 11-20-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:

, and if I am watching HD on tuner one and one of my timers wants to record something else, it changes channels. If I try to go back to what I was watching, it tells me that it will stop recording if I change channels, and my timed event won't be recorded. With Tivo it would just switch me to the other tuner and I could go on.

If you are watching an ota channel, than yes, when you change to another ota channel the 942 will give you the pop up message to stop recording. It does so because there is only one ota tuner. Also if you use dish pass to set up recordings for movies for instance; it will search and find the desired program just sometimes the program will be recorded on a non hdtv channel( you want hbo hd and it finds hbo 300 or you want your ota hd local channel and it finds your local channel in the 8000's instead).you need to verify that dish pass timed recordings are accurate to the specific channels you want. I prefer to use manual recordings to avoid this potential snafu.
post #137 of 200 Old 11-21-2005, 03:39 AM

Quote:

There are three tuners on the 942. Two satelite tuners and one ota tuner. You can record three streams at once and still watch one dvr program so in reality the 942 can handle four steams at once. Each of the four streams can be shown in hd if they are broadcast in hd.

Actually, with TV2, the 942 can handle 5 streams at once (record 3, playback 2). If the stream going to TV2 is recorded HD, then it is downconverted to SD, but is a stream nonetheless.
post #138 of 200 Old 11-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Newbie to the forum...

If anyone is having problems with the DISH HD reciever, power it off at night. Mine would hang up all the time, but I watched the tech support channel, and they recomeended turning the reciever off at bed time (the exact opposite of what the installer said to do). It functions much better now.
post #139 of 200 Old 11-21-2005, 10:30 PM

Quote:

If you are watching an ota channel, than yes, when you change to another ota channel the 942 will give you the pop up message to stop recording. It does so because there is only one ota tuner. Also if you use dish pass to set up recordings for movies for instance; it will search and find the desired program just sometimes the program will be recorded on a non hdtv channel( you want hbo hd and it finds hbo 300 or you want your ota hd local channel and it finds your local channel in the 8000's instead).you need to verify that dish pass timed recordings are accurate to the specific channels you want. I prefer to use manual recordings to avoid this potential snafu.

OK, this is starting to make sense to me now. I think my misconception had to do with trying to record 2 OTA shows at once. Thanks for all the good information!!
post #140 of 200 Old 11-27-2005, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

As usual with AVS threads, I read so much info I'm more confused than when I started.

I was about to get a DirecTIVO HD when I read this thread. I have a 9" CRT PJ, so picture quality is a big issue. I won't ever archive, but will record for time shifting, and record one show whle watchng another. I can live without the TIVO convenience, but do want to know my show will be recorded as programed.

Afew questions:

First, I think the 941 had DVI, VGA or RGBHV out (CRT only takes RGBHV). Does the 942? If I need to use a transcoder to get to analog it makes the 942 less attractive (with all the potential bugs and problems).

For a primo display, is the PQ of Dish really noticably better than DirecTV?

Is the OTA tuner good? I currently use a HTPC with HiPix...which is not good on some channels, even with a good antenna.

If the current software is so bad, can you just use the older one mentioned (I doubt it), or is there a point in waiting a few months before buying a unit? I wasn't sure if the hardware would change (making waiting good) or if any 942 bouht now would be "fixed" whenever Dish fixed the software.

Thanks,

Jeff

Finally went digital: RS20, ISCO IIIs, DIY 10.5' wide torus screen, Stewart StudioTek 1.3 G3 with 4 way masking and adjustable image size
post #141 of 200 Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,
The 942 does not have VGA or RGBHV. If you use one, I guess your resulting quality depends on how good the transcoder is. For best results you'll want to transcode the hdmi signal, if that's possible.

I've heard several claims that Directv will downrez the hd signal on some channels pretty badly to save bandwidth space. I have a buddy who complains a lot about HDNet Movies and Universal HD. I'm quite happy with Dish's picture quality. If they are compressing the signal, it's not as much as Directv. I imagine that Directv's space issues wil be solved once they start utilizing their new satellites that are going up, and switch over to MPEG4.

I think the OTA tuner in the 942 is one of the best I've used. The most recent software fix(282) is working a lot better than 281. I haven't had much trouble with it yet.
post #142 of 200 Old 12-04-2005, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi35 View Post

Jeff,
The 942 does not have VGA or RGBHV. If you use one, I guess your resulting quality depends on how good the transcoder is. For best results you'll want to transcode the hdmi signal, if that's possible.

Its possible for me because the HDMI seems not to be encrypted on my 942. In fact, I can currently plug it right into a DVI monitor, although I don't know when this happened. Before that occured, I used a DVI to VGA converter.

Also, the OTA HD is killer because of the DVR.
post #143 of 200 Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 PM

I'm about to buy my first HD TV, so I called DishNetwork (I've been a customer for more than 5 years) to see what they could do to upgrade me to HD with the 942. I've been using ReplayTV since it's invention and can't see giving up DVR capabilities just for the sake of HD. Anyway, they said it would cost me $100 for an HD receiver (installed), but $798 for the 942! I said that was twice what DirecTV wanted for the HD Tivo and was put on hold while the rep "checked to see if they could give me a better deal". Well, after 10 minutes, she came back with: "this product is too new for any discounting". So... am I getting screwed? Should I switch to DirecTV?
post #144 of 200 Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna_95 View Post

I'm about to buy my first HD TV, so I called DishNetwork (I've been a customer for more than 5 years) to see what they could do to upgrade me to HD with the 942. I've been using ReplayTV since it's invention and can't see giving up DVR capabilities just for the sake of HD. Anyway, they said it would cost me $100 for an HD receiver (installed), but $798 for the 942! I said that was twice what DirecTV wanted for the HD Tivo and was put on hold while the rep "checked to see if they could give me a better deal". Well, after 10 minutes, she came back with: "this product is too new for any discounting". So... am I getting screwed? Should I switch to DirecTV?

Sounds familiar. See
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=46008&page=2#31
and
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=46008&page=2#31
for possible options.

--Joachim
post #145 of 200 Old 12-07-2005, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna_95 View Post

I called about a month ago and got the same story (7 year customer here). I told them I was interested in getting a DVR, and that my cableco was offering a lease deal on them. I asked if they had a lease option, and was told "No". I then asked if I could cancel at this time with no penalty (I am leasing a Dish 811, and agreed to a year commitment). They said I was free and clear, so I told them I would probably be cancelling soon. They act like they couldn't care less...

I ended up buying a Sony HD DVR and I am recording with it off from my lifeline basic cable subcription, but I haven't cancelled Dish yet.
post #146 of 200 Old 12-08-2005, 11:07 AM

I also ran into the same road blocks of having to buy the receiver instead of being able to lease it. I sent off a polite E-Mail to the Dish network regarding how they treat their current customers. Based on the response I will have to consider other options.
post #147 of 200 Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I left DirectTV and came to Dish for the same reasons. Seems they both think their customers will stay as opposed to going to the trouble to change.

Although, I did consider the input I've read about quality of HD picture. I've seen lots of complaints about DirecTV's HD pics, due to more compression. I cannot compare though, before changing to Dish, I was SD only at DirecTV.

I've read about some other units out there from Sony that you can use that you don't have to pay the monthly fee for. I'd look into that if I were considering options.
post #148 of 200 Old 12-17-2005, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Please help me with my 942:

I started noticing freezing of the picture/loss of audio for about 3 seconds: this occurs randomly sometimes every 15 minutes: sometimes not for hours: it is in all HD channels: SD is OK

Had Dish out here and they checked signal levels and said everything was OK: they said it sounded like the 942 was the problem but Dish rep said this is normal for the 942!

one thing I did notice was in the Dish pointing menu when I did the switch test Sat 2 would sometimes come up NG but the tech said that only had to do with the splitter on the back of the 942: when we ran the test for him it is OK

Ideas?

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #149 of 200 Old 12-17-2005, 05:06 AM

I had sent a letter expressing my disappointment to the Dish Network regarding the upgrade policy. It was about 2 weeks and they did respond to my E-Mail. I feel they did the right thing in offering me the 942 for the same price a new subscriber would pay.

Question : I have the Dish 500 on the roof an have been told it will handle the HD channels. The 942 is a dual tunner do I also need a switch installed to take advantage of the dual tunner. Currently on line goes to a TV in a bedroom and one goes to the den.

TIA
post #150 of 200 Old 12-20-2005, 06:52 AM

I had the same set up as you. What I did was to take out the bedroom receiver and route that line to the 942 in the den so that it would have the two sat inputs. Since the 942 can feed a second TV, I just sent the TV2 output back to the bedroom.

I had 2 dishes, one 500 pointed toward the 110 and 119 (I think that's it) and the other pointed at 148. I moved the second dish from 148 to the 68 sat so I could get the VOOM HD stuff. I'm not sure why I'm telling you all this because what I did to the dishes may have nothing to do with your location and I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to dish pointing and switch installations.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page