Dish 942 notes and comments - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 200 Old 01-16-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Yes...but not two OTAs. 2 SATs or one SAT and one OTA.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 200 Old 01-17-2006, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm thinking of going from cable to Dishnetwork as my HD content provider.
I've been hearing that Dishnetwork/DirecTV downres their HD content to save on
bandwidth, thereby dimenishing PQ. Regarding HD, How does Dishnetwork PQ compare to OTA/cable?
post #183 of 200 Old 01-17-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Dishnetwork is very comparable to my OTA. I cannot compare to cable, as I have not used HD cable, or cable at all for that matter, in several years.

I must say, though, that some HD content does not look quite as clear as I would expect on the movie channel that comes with the HD subscription. However, that is based on their playing old movies.

On the other hand, Discovery HD, for example, has excellent quality.

I don't subscrive to the Voom channels, so I cannot speak to them.

I have read a lot of complaints about DirecTV downrevving to save BW, but I have no personal experience with DirecTV HD. I have not read about Dishnetwork downrevving, but maybe they do, I don't know.
post #184 of 200 Old 01-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

I'm interested in getting a 942, but have a few questions;
-I have a Echostar 6000 set up now with two dishes and all that good stuff. Will I need to upgrade my actual dishes at all to use the 942?
-Could I just swap the card in my 6000 into a 942 I buy onEbay?
-Is it generally a tricky/bad idea to buy them on Ebay?
-Is it a bad idea to get a 942 now considering things are going the mpeg-4 route and it may become obsolete very soon?
Another thing; does the TiVo Series 3 have anybody thinking of going to cable? That thing looks awesome!
Thanks
post #185 of 200 Old 01-23-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you'll need to upgrade your dishes.

I don't think you will use your card from the 6000. I don't recall a card being in my 942. I'm thinking my poor memory is telling me that the installer said the card was 'built into the 942'. (You can take this statement to mean I'm not absolutely sure.)

I didn't buy mine on eBay. But I've purchased and sold a lot of things on eBay, with good success. But some people have been burned. I think the important thing is to be sure the seller has a lot of ratings, and that they are good.

On timing, if the newer box is due in a month or two, I'd wait. I waited a year before buying mine, and I finally gave in and got it. That's been almost a year ago now. It all depends on how anxious you are, and if you are willing to wait through some delays.
post #186 of 200 Old 01-24-2006, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 285
audio dropouts on the Discovery channel

anyone else experiencing audio dropouts from the digital audio output of the 942? seems to happen regularly every few minutes

Thanks

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #187 of 200 Old 01-24-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

It is a common topic on the 942 support thread here
post #188 of 200 Old 02-06-2006, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Regarding HD, How does Dishnetwork PQ compare to OTA/cable?

My locals are significantly better than the Dish HD channels...
post #189 of 200 Old 02-10-2006, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thought I'd post this for any future prospective Dish DVR owners:

I had a lot of trouble with my Dish 942 DVR (random reboots, etc.). Every time I would call and they asked if I was using a UPS. I was, so we went on to debug the issue. The finally gave up and sent me a new unit which had the same problem! After further research, I realized that my UPS did NOT have Automatic Voltage Regulation. AVR keeps the voltage at an exact level... a UPS does nothing unless the power drops to below a certain threshold (70V, etc.). I got a unit with AVR and all my problems went away. The Dish techs never thought to mention this so I am passing the info along!

Bottom Line: It is very likely that you will need to purchase/use a automatic voltage regulation unit with the Dish DVR units (they are known to have flaky PSUs). You can get AVR in a UPS (and thus have battery backup) or just AVR capability in a surge protector.
post #190 of 200 Old 02-10-2006, 03:45 PM

Liked: 11
Greg_R

Good to know. My 942 gets flaky every once in a while Might just be the problem.

Thanks
Steve
post #191 of 200 Old 02-14-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post

Can the 921 HD recorder record two different hi def programs at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Yes...but not two OTAs. 2 SATs or one SAT and one OTA.

OK, I have a question about a way(s) to record 2 OTA-HD programs at the same time. I have a 921 that I purchased, not leased, 18 months ago and I get almost all of the local OTA-HD with strong signals using my indoor antenna. If I upgrade to the 622 with the new satellite dish and keep my 921 (which most opinions seem to say you can), could I connect one line to each receiver, each connected to a separate indoor antenna, and then be able to watch and/or record 2 OTA programs at the same time?

Deuces suggested this simple idea to watch one OTA and record the second:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces View Post

OK, somebody stop me if I'm crazy, but I have a question. I have a Dish DVR 942 (2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner), therefore I can record and/or watch 2 satellite HD channels at once, but only 1 OTA HD channel. I want to know if what I am thinking is possible, if it is crazy, or if it will reduce my picture quality. Could I split the HD signal from my OTA antenna and run one into the DVR 942, and the other into another input on my TV. So when, on a night like tonight I can still record NCIS and watch (on the feed straight into the TV) the bowl game between FSU and PSU? Call me crazy if you must, is it possible, will I lose any quality?

Thanks

And DroptheRemote replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptheRemote View Post

Deuces, it's not a crazy question.

You may get a slight deterioriation in the signal by splitting it, but as long as you had a strong signal to begin with (and I recall that you did), it probably won't be an issue in terms of losing the ability to view all the stations you're currently receiving.

Try it and see -- the cost is minimal.

Will either one of these work? Is there any other way?

I appreciate any and all suggestions.
post #192 of 200 Old 02-14-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

doctom,
I think that you should be able to connect a line to each dvr and have it work. You don't need really need 2 antennas. You could use one and split the signal, feeding one to each dvr. That should be ok. This applies to your second question as well. I agree with DroptheRemote, in that you shouldn't see much difference in your split antenna signal as long as you started with a good strong signal.
post #193 of 200 Old 02-15-2006, 08:30 AM

Thanks Jedi35, that's good news to hear! I'll try the simple solution first and see how that works.
post #194 of 200 Old 02-16-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi35 View Post

doctom,
I think that you should be able to connect a line to each dvr and have it work. You don't need really need 2 antennas. You could use one and split the signal, feeding one to each dvr. That should be ok. This applies to your second question as well. I agree with DroptheRemote, in that you shouldn't see much difference in your split antenna signal as long as you started with a good strong signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom View Post

Thanks Jedi35, that's good news to hear! I'll try the simple solution first and see how that works.

After thinking about the second scenario above I have some follow-up questions to it, because I'm not sure I understand about splitting the antenna signal correctly. It sounds like I am to split the antenna feed so one goes as usual into the normal imput on the receiver and the other line goes directly to a TV input. Do I just connect it to any coaxial imput on the TV? How do I select the OTA channel going to the TV...with the TV remote? Sorry, if these sound like stupid questions but I just want to be clear about what I'm doing.

Thanks.
post #195 of 200 Old 02-24-2006, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

Thought I'd post this for any future prospective Dish DVR owners:

I had a lot of trouble with my Dish 942 DVR (random reboots, etc.). Every time I would call and they asked if I was using a UPS. I was, so we went on to debug the issue. The finally gave up and sent me a new unit which had the same problem! After further research, I realized that my UPS did NOT have Automatic Voltage Regulation. AVR keeps the voltage at an exact level... a UPS does nothing unless the power drops to below a certain threshold (70V, etc.). I got a unit with AVR and all my problems went away. The Dish techs never thought to mention this so I am passing the info along!

Bottom Line: It is very likely that you will need to purchase/use a automatic voltage regulation unit with the Dish DVR units (they are known to have flaky PSUs). You can get AVR in a UPS (and thus have battery backup) or just AVR capability in a surge protector.

Well, I have the Canadian version of this box (called the 9200, through Bell Expressvu) and I'm on unit number 3. First box was bought in August 2005 and worked flawlessly (except from odd bright green/yellow stripes once or twice) until January 2006, when all of a sudden, "you have a serious hard drive problem" appeared on screen. A few minutes with tech support and they determined a new unit should be sent to me. A few days later, it arrived.

After hooking it up, it was clear that the replacement unit had a problem of a different sort, but only on recorded programming. Every 20 seconds or so, the playback (video and audio) simply freezes, just like pressing the PAUSE button for a moment. After verifiying that this issue affected only material recorded onto the HD (LIVE stuff seems fine), I contacted tech support again and we went through all the hoops....still could not rectify this issue. So he said they are sending me yet another unit. He says they have received "some other callers" with this problem.

When it works, this system works well indeed. But the hard drive and the software/hardware buffers that allow the input/output of programming from/to multiple sources/displays seems to be under-designed for the tasks it is being asked to do.

Yes, I have the unit hooked up to a Belkin UPS with voltage regulation.

We'll see what happens with the third unit.
post #196 of 200 Old 02-26-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelch View Post

Well, I have the Canadian version of this box (called the 9200, through Bell Expressvu) and I'm on unit number 3. First box was bought in August 2005 and worked flawlessly (except from odd bright green/yellow stripes once or twice) until January 2006, when all of a sudden, "you have a serious hard drive problem" appeared on screen. A few minutes with tech support and they determined a new unit should be sent to me. A few days later, it arrived.

After hooking it up, it was clear that the replacement unit had a problem of a different sort, but only on recorded programming. Every 20 seconds or so, the playback (video and audio) simply freezes, just like pressing the PAUSE button for a moment. After verifiying that this issue affected only material recorded onto the HD (LIVE stuff seems fine), I contacted tech support again and we went through all the hoops....still could not rectify this issue. So he said they are sending me yet another unit. He says they have received "some other callers" with this problem.

When it works, this system works well indeed. But the hard drive and the software/hardware buffers that allow the input/output of programming from/to multiple sources/displays seems to be under-designed for the tasks it is being asked to do.

Yes, I have the unit hooked up to a Belkin UPS with voltage regulation.

We'll see what happens with the third unit.

Ditto here, I have exactly same situation on my second 942 receiver (pausing recorded HD movie every1-2 minutes during playback ) , first receiver also had a bad hard drive after 5 month of use and also it died in 01/06.

Now still waiting for a call from their tech on what to do next after my call to complain ( I was told it will take 10-14 days for their engineers to figure out solution to my problem ) it is now 9 days past and still waiting.
post #197 of 200 Old 07-23-2006, 01:43 PM

Hi,

I notice that it's been a while since anyone has posted to this thread. I hope it's OK that I posted now (this is my first post).

I have an HD-ready TV (i.e. no built in tuner). I am looking to purchase an HD tuner with built in DVR if possible so I can view/record OTA HD stations. I don't watch a lot of TV so OTA is all I really need.

I read through this thread to try and determine if the 942 would work for this. It would appear that it does, but I'm just curious if it requires a Dish Network subscription in order to view OTA's. If that is the case, can someone recommend an HD tuner/DVR combo that doesn't require a subscription?

Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place!
post #198 of 200 Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM

I knew if I held out long enough karma would come my way. Today in the mail i got a postcard from E* saying that they are phasing out all of the older HD (MPEG2) receivers by August 15th 2007, and I am eligible for a free upgrade to the newest model.

So the install of new receiver (622 ) is free the newer HD channel package is only $5 more a month (now including the HD network locals) and they will give me a $10 discount for the next 10 months. So i get more HD channels and a newer receiver.

I end up paying less than my current subscription rate (for the next 10 months) because of the $10 rebate per month, then after that the increase is only $5 per month.

Great deal and I do not have to pay anything for the upgrade receiver. If you have an older 942 receiver you are going to be doing what I am. I guess MPEG 2 broadcasts are going away.

Sweet
post #199 of 200 Old 09-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 285
unstuck

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #200 of 200 Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 AM

Liked: 11
Recently I lost the HDMI signal out of my 942. I tried a different cable and still no signal. Temporarily I'm using component. Anyone have any issues on this?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page