Question / Broadcast Flag and current firewire recorders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-08-2005, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a few questions for the experts here.
Hope someone can answer my questions.

What I'm wondering is about the upcoming July 1st Broadcast Flag date.

Once this date occurs how will the current and older D-VHS recorders and computer harddrive recorders/My HD cards / and standalone HD receivers with Firewire be affected by the Broadcast Flag.

Will all this equipment still ignore the flag and allow unlimited exact digital dupes?

Example: D-VHS recording off air to another D-VHS deck so you could edit out the commercials and have a dupe without commericals or just simply a backup dupe of some special programming you wanted to have for future viewing that might be a rarity.

Will all current gear just ignore the flag whereas all new gear will block recordings if the flag is present or at least block backup digital firewire HD dupes to another deck off the first gen. master you made.

Also, tied to this same Flag theme is it a good idea to get the My HD card now so you have it for later use and is there any advantage to this and building your own media center for HD recording via broadcast/firewire.

I hope someone can clear up my confusion regarding the Broadcast Flag and recorders.

BTW, I realize it's up to the broadcaster to turn it on.
But I'm wanting to know in regards to "if they do turn it on", then what happens for my abilities to record.

Thanks for the help, bjf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-08-2005, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You're not reading newspapers and looks like you're not even reading this forum to find answers to your questions. The courts found FCC overstepped it's authority when issued broadcast flag requirement for all devices. That means broadcast flag is no longer a rule anybody needs to follow.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I saw that yesterday.

That said there's still a very good chance that the Flag will re-appear via this congress. I don't think it's realistic to think the flag is forever gone.
Hollywood's greed will keep it alive.

I am still wanting to know about the Flag in regards to had it been implemented what would and would not be allowed. Thanks in advance to anyone who can post the answers.

bjf
post #4 of 6 Old 05-08-2005, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

If the equipment does not understand the broadcast flag it will continue to operate unencumbered.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-09-2005, 11:35 AM

BUT, isn't it true that if Congress does cave into the Hollywood greed and passes the Flag as law, a cable provider using the flags can force your cable box to not OUTPUT anything via firewire for certain shows? i.e. if you had a cable STB and a MyHD120 card, you could record all the networks, MAYBE an HBOHD and probably NEVER a PPV...since the cable STB would only output for the local networks (as requried by the law) and cable channels IF the BF lets them?

at least, that's the way i understand it...
...no way to record on even non-BF flag equipment if your digital source isn't spitting out anything via firewire to record...
post #6 of 6 Old 05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
I use a moto 6412 out to a JVC30k. I do get a copy inhbit message when I try to record from TNT-HD (at least I did last time I tired)...but everything else HD records.

I assume the JVC units do recognize the flag. BUT we are still suppose to be able to make one copy. I suspect the former poster is correct...the real threat is when they disable the firewire outputs all together. My cable company phone techs will tell you that the firewire outputs are NOT active (I had a supervisor tell me this on the phone...he was absolute in his statement). Of course this is not true.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page