Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 29254 Old 06-11-2005, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjyang View Post

Anyone have any issues with the Sony passing the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal over Optical?

Haven't experimented enough to see if it's really a problem (namely haven't tried to find programs that I know are broadcasting the DD5.1 signals). Can someone recommend a few programs that are reliably transmitted with DD5.1 so I can test?

Thanks

sjyang

Optical works perfectly for me. That's all I use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 29254 Old 06-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ordered this unit on Wednesday, from Vann's, it arrived yesterday, and all is working perfectly: clock was set within 3 hours, and the guide full after overnight. I was upgrading from a Panasonic TU-HDS20 for just OTA HDTV, and this is our first DVR. The only thing which I can't figure out is that there are two stations whose digital channels did not load, which I use to get with the older unit (in the SF Bay Area: the KQED digital channels 9.1-9.6, and KBWB-DT 20.1). Does anyone have any thoughts with what I can try to receive those last few OTA stations?

Thanks,
Rick

Rick Brodzinsky

SF Bay Area - OTA & Xfinity

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #273 of 29254 Old 06-11-2005, 08:34 PM

Quote:

The only thing which I can't figure out is that there are two stations whose digital channels did not load, which I use to get with the older unit (in the SF Bay Area: the KQED digital channels 9.1-9.6, and KBWB-DT 20.1). Does anyone have any thoughts with what I can try to receive those last few OTA stations?

As per KQED, it is unfortunate that the time of day you scan makes a difference in terms of the channels you locate. Since 9.3, 9.4, and 9.5 shut down after 8:00 PM, you have to perform your channel scan before 8:00.

Poke around in the menus for your unit and you will discover a menu item that allows you to rescan and add channels. Do this tomorrow morning....

As far as 20.1 goes, I don't know. Perhaps they were having problems at the time of your scan. Perhaps they will show up when you rescan as well.

Now, how come I am unable to get guide data for KQED_DT?
post #274 of 29254 Old 06-12-2005, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Astera View Post

As per KQED, it is unfortunate that the time of day you scan makes a difference in terms of the channels you locate. Since 9.3, 9.4, and 9.5 shut down after 8:00 PM, you have to perform your channel scan before 8:00.

Poke around in the menus for your unit and you will discover a menu item that allows you to rescan and add channels. Do this tomorrow morning....

As far as 20.1 goes, I don't know. Perhaps they were having problems at the time of your scan. Perhaps they will show up when you rescan as well.

Now, how come I am unable to get guide data for KQED_DT?

The channels you get from "scanning" and the channels that are in the guide are two entirely different things. You don't have to have a channel in the scan list to tune it via the guide. If you have a digital channel missing from the guide, then find the associated "analog" version of the missing channel and edit it to specify the digital channel number. It worked for me.

If you'd like to report a missing channel to Gemstar or have other questions, call 800-386-7380. You won't likely get to speak to someone immediately, but they will return the call if you leave a message.
post #275 of 29254 Old 06-12-2005, 07:35 AM

I monitored this forum, somewhat, and thought to give the Sony DHG-HDD250 version a chance. Purchased it at ABT Electronics locally for its sale price ($130) less than any advertised price I had seen at Sony authorized and less than not authorized resellers. (I was told that was important). I picked up the unit on Saturday. Set up connections on Saturday. Within the hour I had the time and a list of local channels but no program details. Let the unit sit from 8 PM until 8 AM and had all the program details and listings. Unit is as good as or better than expected. Picture quality is extraordinary. I love to have a DVR that does not feed the purses of the money grabbers for subscriptions to a service, TV Listings, that are already paid for by broadcasting networks.

Nice product in this new and slow growing market.

P.S. It's probably time that this forum break off into smaller more useful segments
post #276 of 29254 Old 06-12-2005, 08:46 AM

Thanks, I tried once already, as well as manually tuning those stations, and all I get is "no signal". I'll keep trying.

My daughter, who will be going away to college in the fall, thinks I need to store all her WB shows in HD until winter break! HA! I bought this toy for me :-)

Rick

Rick Brodzinsky

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #277 of 29254 Old 06-12-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrodzinsky View Post

Thanks, I tried once already, as well as manually tuning those stations, and all I get is "no signal". I'll keep trying.

My daughter, who will be going away to college in the fall, thinks I need to store all her WB shows in HD until winter break! HA! I bought this toy for me :-)

Rick

When you tune to a channel that indicates "no signal", go to the "Preferences/System/System Menu" area and you'll be able to see the signal strength of the station you're tuned to at the bottom of the screen. I don't know yet what the signal strength threshold is for when you start to see picture and hear audio. The weakest channel I get has a strength of "77%", but it's solid reception with zero breakups or pixellation. I would guess that for some reason your signal is not strong enough or not getting from the antenna to the box. Did you add any cabling or splitters when you installed the Sony? If possible, try a different single cable from the antenna straight to the box and see if the signal loss is in your existing cabling. Mine picks up signals as good or better than the other three STB's I have (which all work very well), so I would bet the Sony is not the problem. You can also use this diagnostic screen to aim your antenna as well. Just watch (or have someone else watch) the signal meter and turn the antenna until you have maximum signal strength.
post #278 of 29254 Old 06-12-2005, 06:17 PM

First time my unit skipped a scheduled recording. I set it to Universal HD to record U571 tonight at 9:00pm. My unit was not showing the red recording in the front led display. I turned my setup on and it wasn't recording. I tried a manual recording and it wouldn't allow me to record it...I recorded Bring it On with no problems from UD...Anyone else encounter this problem???

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen
post #279 of 29254 Old 06-12-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post

When you tune to a channel that indicates "no signal", go to the "Preferences/System/System Menu" area and you'll be able to see the signal strength of the station you're tuned to at the bottom of the screen. I don't know yet what the signal strength threshold is for when you start to see picture and hear audio. The weakest channel I get has a strength of "77%", but it's solid reception with zero breakups or pixellation.

Thanks - I reran the auto-scan, and third time's the charm. All the channels came in (plus a couple of others I didn't even know were in the area). I did do some fiddling with the connections going into the box, so maybe...???

Rick

Rick Brodzinsky

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #280 of 29254 Old 06-13-2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I ordered this unit on Wednesday, from Vann's, it arrived yesterday, and all is working perfectly: clock was set within 3 hours, and the guide full after overnight.

Were you able to get a full 7 days of data for the Guide? I bought my unit last week and seem to have been getting a rolling 2.5 days of data in the SF Bay Area (I'm trying to be patient and leave the unit off for extended periods of time).

Thanks

sjyang
post #281 of 29254 Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong View Post

First time my unit skipped a scheduled recording. I set it to Universal HD to record U571 tonight at 9:00pm. My unit was not showing the red recording in the front led display. I turned my setup on and it wasn't recording. I tried a manual recording and it wouldn't allow me to record it...I recorded Bring it On with no problems from UD...Anyone else encounter this problem???

Kong, when you open "Recording History," does it show an error message for the time/program you were trying to record? I have encountered this problem, discussed in an earlier post, and get a "Recording not permitted by service provider" message.
post #282 of 29254 Old 06-13-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjyang View Post

Were you able to get a full 7 days of data for the Guide? I bought my unit last week and seem to have been getting a rolling 2.5 days of data in the SF Bay Area (I'm trying to be patient and leave the unit off for extended periods of time).

Thanks

sjyang

Same as you, but that is consistant with the way the TVGuide data has been described earlier in this thread. You get first 2 days, plus day#8 on the first load, and then a day each following day (plus the +8 day). If you scroll to the end of this week, you should see the guide filled in there, too. Too bad that is the way it was implemented (seems weird), but it is working as advertised.

Would have been nice if Sony had put an ethernet port on the unit (or even use the USB), so that we could do broadband download.

Rick

Rick Brodzinsky

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #283 of 29254 Old 06-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Spahrkee ,

That is the message "Recording not permitted by service provider" ...It is seems to be a problem if it is a movies "premiere" on Universal channel. Slingblade did the same thing for me...I looked in the history like you stated...

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen
post #284 of 29254 Old 06-13-2005, 10:46 PM

Kong, well as you'll see in the thread there are a couple of theories floating around about why this happens, but I've experienced it on a couple of HBO channels and TCM. Only sporadically, can't see any rhyme or reason for it.
post #285 of 29254 Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong View Post

Spahrkee ,

That is the message "Recording not permitted by service provider" ...It is seems to be a problem if it is a movies "premiere" on Universal channel. Slingblade did the same thing for me...I looked in the history like you stated...

kong, I understand that the message "Recording not permitted by service provider" in the recording history is shown when the program is copy protected.
post #286 of 29254 Old 06-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

On Amazon someone posted this criticism:

made the mistake of buying this unit to soon without doing my home work. 1. The TV Guide On Screen is limited to 3 digit numbers ( 999 max ) which is just stupid given the fact that some free ( atleast in my area ) HD broadcasts use 4 digit numbers. So in CHANNEL EDITOR, I can't replace a SD channel number with a HD channel because the tune channel field won't accept a 4 digit number. What a stupid limitation!

Could someone explain to me what it means.

We have a SONY TV with a built in HD clearQam tuner. The network HD channels come in as channels 1XX.xx(x).

Would those channels not be able to be tuned in with this DVR.
post #287 of 29254 Old 06-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

made the mistake of buying this unit to soon without doing my home work. 1. The TV Guide On Screen is limited to 3 digit numbers ( 999 max ) which is just stupid given the fact that some free ( atleast in my area ) HD broadcasts use 4 digit numbers. So in CHANNEL EDITOR, I can't replace a SD channel number with a HD channel because the tune channel field won't accept a 4 digit number. What a stupid limitation!

We have a SONY TV with a built in HD clearQam tuner. The network HD channels come in as channels 1XX.xx(x).

This would be a limitation for Cable Card users on TWC-Austin. All the encrypted HD channels start in the 1500's here.

Alan
post #288 of 29254 Old 06-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks
post #289 of 29254 Old 06-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

Are you serious? That is unbelievable.. The majority of the HD channels in the Bay area have 4 digits - e.g. KQED 117.2, KGO 117.1, Discovery HD 115.4, ESPN-HD 116.1 (or.2?), INHD1 105.1, INHD2 105.2 etc. etc.

Call Sony and ask them. If this is truly the case, then it's inability to function as a recorder for HD cable channels makes it basically useless, at least without a Cable Card.

peter
p.s. I wouldn't blame myself for "not doing my homework" on this one... ;-)
post #290 of 29254 Old 06-15-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Turtle View Post

It does sound like your local cable company is sending CCI bits set to Copy Never for HBO & TCM. CCI comes through the cablecard, it has nothing to do with the FCC Broadcast Flag (which is for ATSC OTA). Cable is much more restrictive than the FCC's BF proposal (D.FAST licensing is very strict). Maybe you can call up your cable company and convince them to change HBO/TCM from Copy Never to Copy Once.

Excellent information. This seems to describe my exact predicament with Albany Time Warner Cable. With their CableCARD I get all NTSC/PCM audio using digital optical audio to my DD receiver but no ATSC/DD. The receiver senses the ATSC signal, flips to DD Pro Logic mode and then the sound output stops. Of course no one I can actually speak to at Time Warner knows anything about CableCARD technology and the back-end technicians won't take phone calls... very frustrating. What are the chances this provider will flip-the-bit-settings to enable sound output?
post #291 of 29254 Old 06-15-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria View Post

Are you serious? That is unbelievable.. The majority of the HD channels in the Bay area have 4 digits - e.g. KQED 117.2, KGO 117.1, Discovery HD 115.4, ESPN-HD 116.1 (or.2?), INHD1 105.1, INHD2 105.2 etc. etc.

Call Sony and ask them. If this is truly the case, then it's inability to function as a recorder for HD cable channels makes it basically useless, at least without a Cable Card.

peter
p.s. I wouldn't blame myself for "not doing my homework" on this one... ;-)

You are OK with channels separated by the "." (or "-" if you prefer) so the guide won't have any trouble with channels such as 123.456. The problem that the Austin, TX guy is having is that his cable company has some CableCard digital channels remapped to over 999.
post #292 of 29254 Old 06-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Excellent information. This seems to describe my exact predicament with Albany Time Warner Cable. With their CableCARD I get all NTSC/PCM audio using digital optical audio to my DD receiver but no ATSC/DD. The receiver senses the ATSC signal, flips to DD Pro Logic mode and then the sound output stops. Of course no one I can actually speak to at Time Warner knows anything about CableCARD technology and the back-end technicians won't take phone calls... very frustrating. What are the chances this provider will flip-the-bit-settings to enable sound output?

I was referring to CCI (Copy Control Information) bits in regards to why some people encountered their recordings not going through on certain channels. As far as the SPDIF problem you are encountering, I'm not exactly sure what is going on there. In the menu (Sony's, not the Tv Guide), go to preferences then audio then dolby digital, is it set to Auto On?
post #293 of 29254 Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Same as you, but that is consistant with the way the TVGuide data has been described earlier in this thread. You get first 2 days, plus day#8 on the first load, and then a day each following day (plus the +8 day). If you scroll to the end of this week, you should see the guide filled in there, too. Too bad that is the way it was implemented (seems weird), but it is working as advertised.

Would have been nice if Sony had put an ethernet port on the unit (or even use the USB), so that we could do broadband download.

Rick

Thanks that's helpful and my guide did fill out with a full 8 days. While setting up the TV Guide was a pain, I'm actually quite happy with the PQ and the performance thus far.

BTW, the unit does have a USB port, though at this time, it's declared "reserved for future use".

sjyang
post #294 of 29254 Old 06-16-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I was referring to CCI (Copy Control Information) bits in regards to why some people encountered their recordings not going through on certain channels. As far as the SPDIF problem you are encountering, I'm not exactly sure what is going on there. In the menu (Sony's, not the Tv Guide), go to preferences then audio then dolby digital, is it set to Auto On?

Right, but your information basically confirms the problem I'm experiencing as described by this:

"CCI is information that describes the duplication rules for an item of digital content. It is intended to reduce illegal duplication and subsequent distribution of video and audio content subject to copyright restrictions. Content providers indicate illegal duplication and distribution of entertainment content as a leading cause of revenue loss. Although copying of content by analog equipment such as VHS VCRs would still be possible and has been ongoing for many years, the content copied to such devices is stored at a reduced quality level because of the nature of that equipment and the storage medium. Digital storage devices would have no inherent qualities such that the copied content would be reduced in quality. In fact, such equipment would be capable of perfect storage of the original digital content. This perfect storage capability is a primary motivation for the requirement to include CCI information in all high value content. In the case of the CableCARD/Host interface, a specification exists that describes how content that has been decrypted by the CableCARD module must be re-encrypted on the CableCARD-Host interface if the CCI value for the content indicates that it is high value. Hosts that receive content from the CableCARD module that is marked with high value CCI must also protect that content on any of its digital outputs, such as a 1394 output. Inclusion of CCI support in the CableCARD module and Host as well as the system infrastructure is required to protect high value content. Newer set-top-boxes (STBs) with embedded security will also include digital outputs requiring system infrastructure support to protect high value content. CCI will be carried along with digital content steams from the headend and can be set on a service-byservice basis with the installation of DAC release 2.97. The four possible values that CCI may take on and their meaning are indicated in the table below:

CCI Information

CCI Text Description

Copy Freely ------- Any number of copies may be produced.
Copy No More ---- A copy of the content has already occurred and no more copies are permitted.
Copy Once -------- Only one copy of the content is permitted.
Copy Never ------- Copying of the content is never permitted."

I believe my CATV provider: Albany Time Warner, has set the CCI value to "high" on most of the digital channels thus rendering the optical audio out interface of my TV inoperable. It is interesting to note I do receive DD on the local HD channels: ABC-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, PBS-HD & ESPN-HD; but not on 100s of other digital channels. My assumption is if Albany Time Warner would modify the Copy Never setting and change it to Copy Once this would meet both goals of protecting their digital content and enable the subscriber to fully use their in-home digital devices receiving the full digital signal being paid for.
post #295 of 29254 Old 06-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting - where is your CCI information quoted from? I'd like to do a bit more reading on this.

peter
p.s. edit update - thanks for the source!
post #296 of 29254 Old 06-16-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria View Post

Interesting - where your CCI informatoin quoted from? I'd like to do a bit more reading on this.

peter

Here is 'the source' I used for my quote.
post #297 of 29254 Old 06-16-2005, 10:35 AM

Optivity, if that were the case (TW Albany's CCI bits = Copy Never or Copy No More), then you wouldn't be able to schedule records for any of those channels. Is that the case for you? If not, then it's not the CCI bits that are causing your SPDIF loss on those channels. Again, did you check to see if your Dolby Digital setting is Auto On in the Sony preference menu? I don't believe the Sony box would shut off the SPDIF output for any CCI setting. I wonder if maybe your audio receiver is doing it.
post #298 of 29254 Old 06-16-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Optivity, if that were the case (TW Albany's CCI bits = Copy Never or Copy No More), then you wouldn't be able to schedule records for any of those channels. Is that the case for you? If not, then it's not the CCI bits that are causing your SPDIF loss on those channels. Again, did you check to see if your Dolby Digital setting is Auto On in the Sony preference menu? I don't believe the Sony box would shut off the SPDIF output for any CCI setting. I wonder if maybe your audio receiver is doing it.

I may be confused!

If so, it won't be the first time... I'll have to check my set-up tonight and get back to you. If interested... my receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR600 and the owner's manual can be viewed 'here.'
post #299 of 29254 Old 06-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

I'm once again shopping for an HD DVR (since LG is buying back my 3410A). So, being somewhat leery after that experience, I have some questions that have not been addressed in this thread:

1) Does a power off command turn off the unit during a timer or manual recording? (Yes, the LG unfortunately did this.)

2) Does the unit continue to buffer the current channel while you play back a previous recording?

3) Have any discreet codes been found yet? (Can't find any at remotecentral.com.)

4) One person mentioned that tuning HD channels takes a LONG time. Do others agree?

5) The manual shows no capability for editing programs or even the program titles. Is this function indeed lacking?

Thanks.

Phil
post #300 of 29254 Old 06-16-2005, 12:57 PM

In an earlier portion of this thread, I had talked about my recorder not being able to pull in HBO and Cinemax with a CableCARD installed. About a month has passed, and the issued is finally resolved. Initially, my cable company had blamed Sony. Sony went through a series of diagnostics with me and told me it was the cable company.

I had a tech come out today, and we went through another round of diagnostics, and he happened to catch someone in the main office that knew exactly what the problem was. They re-entered the info from the CableCARD Pairing screen and everything is now fine.

I have to say, I am really enjoying this recorder. The only dings I have against it are the lack of a second tuner (and that's a small one for me) and the lack of more Guide sorting options (how about one that sorts by channel number?...easily worked around, but still).
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page