Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 29253 Old 07-27-2005, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I turned off one analog channel in my channel list. It is definitely not the channel broadcasting TVGOS data. I left for the weekend, so the receiver was never on. When I returned, it had stopped updating Day 8's, so the final three days out have no listings on any channel.
Have others had this experience? I tried changing zip codes, so will check tonight to see if Day 8 came back (nope, it didn't). Makes it tough to edit the Guide. Even toughter to schedule future recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 29253 Old 07-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Switching back to Auto HDMI happens to me as well. However it was even worse as my unit ALSO kept getting stuck in 480i mode (fixed now with a new cable). Intentional or not, this is still undesirable behavior in my book and I call that kind of stuff a bug. :-)
post #453 of 29253 Old 07-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGEL 35 View Post

What happend here

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #454 of 29253 Old 07-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post

Switching back to Auto HDMI happens to me as well. However it was even worse as my unit ALSO kept getting stuck in 480i mode (fixed now with a new cable). Intentional or not, this is still undesirable behavior in my book and I call that kind of stuff a bug. :-)

Yeah, the CSR also said that when the DVR starts (after the mystery length of off time), it examines the connections and determines which is best for us. I guess we're not being very smart when we disagree with Sony's choice! But our decision to change format is agreed to for awhile, just not after several hours or overnight.

Makes me want to get up off some cash, buy a Zektor 4 input component switcher, and connect all my equipment via component.

Separately, there is no news from Comcast yet on how or when they will get my Motorola CableCARD working.

Phil
post #455 of 29253 Old 07-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong View Post

Mine is updated until 3:00am Thursday morning...I am going to check out the guide later this evening...I won't be able to get the Cablecard until mid-June(expensive month!!!).

Mine is updated till friday 3:00am

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #456 of 29253 Old 07-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

I had this problem but a more severe version earlier - a bad HDMI cable was preventing the DVR from reading my TV's capabilities, so after this "indeterminate" amount of time it would reset to "Auto HDMI" but only offer 480i until I manually changed format modes. Now at least when it resets I still get a full range of formats.
post #457 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Well I received my open box HDD500 yesterday and so far I couldnt be happier for what I paid for this so early on in release, I dont even think it had ever been plugged in as the power cord was not even unwrapped and all the orginal tape was on the unit as well. As far as Im concerned this unit was new. And for almost half of msrp. I also like being able to get TNT in HD and many more digital channels over my basic cable feed. The TVguide does appear to be working as well at this point as it has began to download the info, My one biggest complaint is that it has no RF out. I couldnt believe it. I had to split the cable with a splitter to get it back to my TV so I could use the TV's tuner if I would like while recording. Really kind of a stupid mistake in not providing it but the splitter is an easy workaround. But all in all so far so good, Have not recorded with it yet.
post #458 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
nascar - I assume you got a cable card, then, since you're getting TNT HD? How much do the cable companies charge you for those? It's not supposed to be much from what I see.

I agree; it's dumb not to have the RF out. I'm looking at getting one of these. The lack of RF out wouldn't affect me unless I do get a cable card and route my cable connection in to the unit (I'm looking at it for just OTA HD right now). I just have Mediacom basic (no digital package). Would the cable card then enable me to get HD even if I only have basic cable with no digital? (I assumed when you said you have basic cable that you don't have digital cable?)

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #459 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

nascar - I assume you got a cable card, then, since you're getting TNT HD? How much do the cable companies charge you for those? It's not supposed to be much from what I see.

I agree; it's dumb not to have the RF out. I'm looking at getting one of these. The lack of RF out wouldn't affect me unless I do get a cable card and route my cable connection in to the unit (I'm looking at it for just OTA HD right now). I just have Mediacom basic (no digital package). Would the cable card then enable me to get HD even if I only have basic cable with no digital? (I assumed when you said you have basic cable that you don't have digital cable?)

Basically the cable card allows you to get the encrypted digital channels. You can hook up the HDD500 and using the internal QAM demodulator, get all the un-encrypted digital channels. Time Warner in Austin doesn't encrypt the OTA HD channels so I can receive them with just the internal tuner. I don't have the HDD500 yet but that is how it works with my tv. My cable card costs $1.75 a month for rent.

Alan
post #460 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, Thats why I was so suprised when I was flipping through the channels and I found that I had TNT HD. Wasnt expecting that channel to be open. With your basic cable there is a good chance you will get some of your local channels in HD as well. But what I found though is that I am going to still have to keep the antenna as not every local channel that is in HD is on the cable system. I dont know if it is true or not but I was reading elsewhere that the digital channels I have may move around quite a bit due to the cable company moving them around for some reason or another. I guess I will see. Anyone else here notice this? I would recommend you just get a spliter and route your cable through it as well.
Yep all I have is basic expanded cable, No Digital. Im curious how much info the TVguide will have when I get home tonight.
Also on a side note you will probably get all the Digital music stations. I believe I got over 50 of them.
post #461 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you also getting cable channels like ESPN in HD? THAT I would kill for!

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #462 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you also getting cable channels like ESPN in HD? THAT I would kill for!

I was hoping for this as well but so far I didnt find it, Tonight when I get home Im going to take a pen and paper out and mark down what number the Digital and HD channels are at and see if they disappear or change during the month. Since they are not standard basic cable channels they wont show up on the TVguide. Also a strange thing I found while looking at some of the digital channels that they were breaking up like OTA antenna channels do when the antenna was not postioned correctly. Kind of figured that might be some copy protection thing going on but I figured if that was the case it would just be a black screen like some of the other channels it picked up.
post #463 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

How do you play the "Coming Soon to DVD" short program, the only one in the Recordings List? I've highlited & pushed Play and nothing happens. Thanks.

Jim
post #464 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirluckyj View Post

How do you play the "Coming Soon to DVD" short program, the only one in the Recordings List? I've highlited & pushed Play and nothing happens. Thanks.

Jim

Hmmm,
I just hooked mine up last night and if I recall all I did was hit play.
post #465 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Jim

That one baffled me for a while. If you highlight the 'coming soon to DVD' and press 'enter', another line appears below labeled '4/20/2005' or something like that. Highlight that line and hit 'enter' again.
post #466 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Re RF out: you should NEVER EVER use the RF output from a VCR, cable box or DVR if you care at all about getting the utmost in quality or actually being able to use both at once (unless your TV has only RF input, but then again it would be kind of silly be on this site with one of those). Always split the signal BEFORE it goes into either item.
post #467 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Alerion: Thanks. Got another question. Go into the System Menu and see what the temperatures are on the two hard drives. My No. 1 is 98 and No. 2 is 109. I wonder why the difference. Also, my unit was built in June 2005. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks to all in advance.

Jim
post #468 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Can some one tell me when you go in to system menu and you see digital cable signal strength were does it come from ?cable co.?

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #469 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post

Re RF out: you should NEVER EVER use the RF output from a VCR, cable box or DVR if you care at all about getting the utmost in quality or actually being able to use both at once (unless your TV has only RF input, but then again it would be kind of silly be on this site with one of those). Always split the signal BEFORE it goes into either item.

Hmmm,
Never heard that one before and I have never had issue with it since I bought one of the first pop top Maganovox VCR's which I still own and it still works if you can believe it.
post #470 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Well Its been about 14 hours since I put in my zip code for TV guide and no listings have poped up yet. Not to happy about that but hopefully they will come in overnight.
post #471 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

When searching for in the auto programs and you get new channels like analog digital.
What does shown mean

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #472 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar24 View Post

Well Its been about 14 hours since I put in my zip code for TV guide and no listings have poped up yet. Not to happy about that but hopefully they will come in overnight.

The receiver needs to be left off for an extended period. If you turn it on to check listings and it's in the middle of downloading from what I can tell the listings do not update. Near as I can tell, in Grand Rapids analog PBS broadcasts the updates sometime around 6:00 AM and it takes about half the morning to load. Different stations and localities are different. Sure would be nice to be able to get that info of where/when from TVGOS.
post #473 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar24 View Post

Hmmm,
Never heard that one before and I have never had issue with it since I bought one of the first pop top Maganovox VCR's which I still own and it still works if you can believe it.

The only reason those RF outputs exist is for VCRs, cable boxes and DSS receivers to work with televisions that had only RF inputs, and predates RCA composite connections - never mind HDTV! Splitting the RF signal with a quality 1ghz or better splitter before all of your devices is always a much better idea.
post #474 of 29253 Old 07-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Daniel is absolutely right. My incoming line is split 4 ways to a Moto cable DVR, the HDD500, a Mits D-VHS, and a Sony Plasma TV. You can watch or record on any of these devices while the others are doing something else. Of course your TV must have inputs for all of these devices. NOTHING in my setup uses RF out. The picture is always better via the other digital or analog outputs.

Phil
post #475 of 29253 Old 07-29-2005, 03:24 AM

Quote:

Go into the System Menu and see what the temperatures are on the two hard drives. My No. 1 is 98 and No. 2 is 109. I wonder why the difference.
Jim

My unit is the HDD250, so it only has one drive. The menu shows its temp as 102 every time I have checked. Room ambient is 75 F. I'd guess the higher temp is the drive that's always running.
post #476 of 29253 Old 07-29-2005, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

When I checked yesterday my drive 1 was 113 and drive 2 was 109.
post #477 of 29253 Old 07-29-2005, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerion View Post

The receiver needs to be left off for an extended period. If you turn it on to check listings and it's in the middle of downloading from what I can tell the listings do not update. Near as I can tell, in Grand Rapids analog PBS broadcasts the updates sometime around 6:00 AM and it takes about half the morning to load. Different stations and localities are different. Sure would be nice to be able to get that info of where/when from TVGOS.

Well glad to report the listings are now coming in, Only checked the first 2 days this morning, But this is good news. I turned on analog OTA PBS and UPN. Dont know if thats where it picked it up or not though as it could have been off cable as well.
post #478 of 29253 Old 07-29-2005, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

When I turned on my unit this morning, the Guide asked me what service I was using, Comcast Analog or Comcast Digital. I hit the wrong one. How can I change this? Thanks.

Jim
post #479 of 29253 Old 07-29-2005, 06:50 AM

Jim - go to the Set Up menu (at top of TV guide screen), choose the second (middle) option. It might be called Change Channel Display? I think that will help you. Sorry if not, but I'm away from the Sony right now and guessing from memory.

Good luck.

Andy
post #480 of 29253 Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Well checked the guide today after work and it has downloaded 2 days into the listings. I dont believe the listings update 24/7 as someone said in this thread, I believe it starts for a certain time at night and then stops at a certain time. This info seems like it would be done quickly but I guess not, My gemstar update of my guide info for my ATI HDTV wonder updates in all of 2 mins. for about 8 days. Dont quite get why its so slow. I know it isnt broadband but it sure would seem like it could fill the whole guide in about an hours time
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page