AVS Forum banner
3M views 30K replies 1K participants last post by  JoeKustra 
#1 ·
Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread

HERE'S A LINK TO A RESOURCE GUIDE OUTLINING OPERATION OF THE SONY HDD250/500, INCLUDING OPERATION OF THE TVGOS SYSTEM:

spiffSPACE.com Sony HDD250/500 FAQ

#23 ·
ordered mine May 8 from Sony

tomorrow Comcast installs a SA8300 and an additional cablecard

(edit: you cannot swap cards between displays: it messes up the autorization)

so I will be able to compare the 2 recorders: the SA 8300 does not have DVI working and only outputs 1080i until Comcast updates the firmware

the nice thing about the Sony store is the return policy: you can get a RA automatically by email thru their automated phone system

#24 ·
Sony Style said that they got a limmited number of the first batch. All other orders are on back-order. As for other retailers, it looks like the end of May to the beginning of June. Datavision has not heard anything yet...

SO GBrock fill us in on the initial thoughts!!!

#27 ·
Well, it won't be me reporting on it tonight. According to the service agent I spoke to at FedEx, the driver got to the curb, scanned the package, and it had been rerouted by the shipper. So they took it back.

I spoke to an agent at SonyStyle, and she said that the "package was misrouted" and that they would have to cancel my order and I'd have to reorder?!?!?! After telling her that that option was unacceptable and I'd ordered it weeks ago so I'd have one of the first ones they shipped, and that FedEx told me it was someone from Sony that had rerouted the package, she tried to talk to FedEx again to see if they could get the box back (at least that's what she said.) Anyway, after going the rounds for 45 minutes with me doing my best to keep my temper in check, I have to call back tomorrow so I can speak to a supervisor. They didn't have any available.

I've gotta say, I've never been this unhappy with a mail-order/e-commerce experience. And I've had a lot of them.

#28 ·
If I were you GBrock I would have assaulted the FedEx person and took my package with my name on it inside. It worth a night in jail for your mail. Anyway what's the cop gonna say to the fedex guy, when you tell him the fedex guy teased you with a package that had your name on it and you ordered it. (TV Rule of Law) Possession is 9/10th of the law. This is y I deal with USPS as often as I can. If you get a letter or a package from the mailman and Sony wants it back, they are not going to do that, and at worse they leave it at your door. That's y they call it MAIL-order.

#29 ·
GBrock

What did Sony finally say? Hopefully they let you keep the package...I too would be furious as hell if that had happened to me...

#30 ·
GBrock

What did Sony finally say? Hopefully they let you keep the package...I too would be furious as hell if that had happened to me...

#31 ·
Comcast brought me an 8000 DVR; they said the 8300 is not available yet

it does some strange things: you cannot tune to ch 205 Discovery HD unless you switch to an analog channel first: DVI and firewire ports are not active

I got an extra CableCard for the Sony: I can phone in the info to activate it

Comcast techs have to phone in the CableCard data which then has to be faxed to Plainfield to authorize the card

#32 ·
I was talking to a supervisor 10 minutes after they opened on Saturday. He put me on hold to 'get the current status' and came back on and told me the package had already been delivered and they couldn't get it back. He claimed that Sony had not done the re-routing and that the information had been turned over to another department that would investigate why the package had been re-routed.

He said I'd have to reorder. He couldn't tell me when they would have more in stock, but that he would request the info and promised an email to me on Tuesday or Wednesday with an ETA.

I have a coupon code for free shipping. Now I need to decide whether I want to use it or not.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by jerrich
FWIW, the shipping date is now OFF the Sony site. I guess they enjoy yanking us around. Hmmm. JR

Uhmm, my guess would be because THEY ARE ALREADY SHIPPING! Why would you put a shipping date that is in the past on your web site? All you need to do is put the product on the site and let the consumers correctly assume the product is available.

-phil

#36 ·
I emailed Sony yesterday to try to cancel my order. I hope it gets cancelled before it ships!

With the price reduction in the DirectTV HDTivo to $699 effective today, this Sony box does not look so attractive any more. Of course I am locked into DirectTV, have to pay the $4.99/month Tivo fee, but the HDTivo box has more features. Plus I can record from DirectTV and OTA at the same time.

#37 ·
I rec'd mine on Friday (5/13/05) afternoon...got it set up mostly on Saturday night. CableCARD won't be installed until tonight so I haven't really worked with tweaking the channel guide or anything. Figured I'd wait until I had access to all the channels first.

From the looks of it I think I am going to like it. I will be using it as well as a Comcast Motorola 6200 (6212 I think? Has 2 tuners) series DVR/HDTV Cable box.

Using the Sony in conjunction with the Comcast box affords me luxury of not missing the second tuner in the Sony.

We archive shows for quite awhile and watch them on our time schedule and the Motorola box just didn't have the HDD capacity, ya know?

#40 ·
The guide is kind of nice...I haven't really had a chance to sit down and really USE it but what I have seen I like...Setup was extremely easy and it worked the first time. Detected regular cable channels that don't require decrypting immediately during initial setup, even the local HDTV's...

So far so good.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.