Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskaran View Post

Hope this helps...

Baskaran

I did not know that Sony could or was downloading software updates. I will check. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 29289 Old 09-01-2005, 09:44 AM

I checked the software version, and I have that updated one you listed.

Yesterday some channels turned from off to on randomly, but today they are ok. Of course there is no way of knowing if my software was updated, so we'll see.

I also pulled guide data for a second straight day, now have 1, 2, 7, 8.

Last night I had scheduled to record US Open highlights because they were in HD. Today when I looked though, I had a couple minutes of Letterman in HD, and then US Open highlights in SD. That's odd because I didn't even know letterman was broadcasting in HD, and in the listings he isn't listed that way. Guess it takes them a bit to catch up.

Still impressed with this box.

Oh, and I love the S-Control with my sony tv. The DVR sits way low to the ground out of IR sight, so being able to use the tv's line of sight is great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #633 of 29289 Old 09-01-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Look at the line starting with 08: (second line I believe). If it starts with "08:01:42/08:06:20/" then you have the latest version that fixes the problem according to Sony.

I have the version you indicate, but it says:
Build Time: Jan 21 2005

You'd think that they'd update the Build Time if they did in fact push new software...
post #634 of 29289 Old 09-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccikong View Post

I've had the DHG-HDD250 since May and have a question for other owners. Does anybody's unit display show promotions in the ad panel under the video preview window when viewing the guide? Instead of displaying show promotions, as seen in the manual, I just have two "TV Guide On Screen" windows.

Thanks.

I was told by a Gemstar rep some time ago that the next version of TVGOS software for our DVRs will include the ad capability. If it is anything like the other software versions such as in the Panasonic DVD recorders, expect to see a lot of Bowflex and timeshare ads!

Larry
post #635 of 29289 Old 09-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Look at the line starting with 08: (second line I believe). If it starts with "08:01:42/08:06:20/" then you have the latest version that fixes the problem according to Sony.

Hope this helps...

Baskaran

yup, got it. Thanks!
Mine has the same Jan 21 build time as buccikong. Probably the physical manufacturing date, or component/chipset date??
post #636 of 29289 Old 09-01-2005, 06:46 PM

I'll see if anyone wants to answer my questions about my HDD500 - I have a full guide and all the OTA HD Stations and the analog cable stations
They have all the local Digital Broadcasters on the cable and my QAM tuner will only pick up 4 of the 5 - I have run the scan several times and no CBS - It shows up as "Channel 713" on a cable box ABC,NBC,Fox show up on my Sony DHG-HDD500 with the normal PSIP info (their analog OTA chan in decimal format) - The PBS is different -it should read 28.1 but shows up as 90.60 - I wonder why the CBS doesn't scan in - it's there at "Chan 713" on the Comcast boxes.
Another strange thing - I was checking what the frequencies of the QAM received chans were and the came up as 627m~ ABC, 621m~ PBS, but both FOX and NBC show 537m~ (the same) but I get both as separate HD signals- how'd they do that???? There are many other unencrypted signals - I think they are VOD or similar since they are movies and sports not shown in the titantv list nor on the TGOS for my Comcast build-
Any ideas how I can get Comcast 713 with this unit???
hidden menus? - I have found is the TGOS diagnostic screens which are gibberish -the two diagnostic screens from the standard system menu are nice --haven't found the file details etc for recorded pgms (size,encoding etc)or the raw tuner channel list (frequencies or actual UHF channel)- - I've talked to sony and they are helpful at the second level but won't discuss items beyond the manuals topics. - I'm ok with that -
any one know any trick key sequences to load unencrypted Cable HD channels - -My CBS OTA has multipath problems and Id like to have the cable signal.-
Thanks Buccikong-- I'll try the amp - when I had a cable modem I had low receive and high transmit levels because of the very old coax in the drop
post #637 of 29289 Old 09-01-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestlab View Post

Any ideas how I can get Comcast 713 with this unit???

Perhaps you need a cable amplifier to pick up your CBS. Without an amp, I can barely pick up any of the QAM channels on my unit. My cable provider is Time Warner and they installed an amp for free. The QAM channel numbers are different than the cable box numbers for me. If you try an amp, I'd suggest doing a full scan and manually checking all of the channels added - your CBS may show up as something other than 713.
post #638 of 29289 Old 09-01-2005, 10:45 PM

Tonight I had the first recording I actually cared about, that new show Prison Break. I started to watch it about a half hour before it was done recording, but it was having a weird audio/video problem, so I waited for it to finish.

When I started to watch it when it was all done, the problem continued. What happens is every 35 seconds like clock work the video gets jarbled for a split second, then starts again with no audio for another 3 seconds, then the audio comes back on. I can literally count out about 35 seconds between each one, and sure enough, there it is.

I've recorded other stuff with no problem, and I tested another program with no problem. Anyone have a similar issue? Even reseting didn't help, it just screwed the clock up by 1 hour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #639 of 29289 Old 09-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nathan: Could very well have been the source. That's the problem with HD: it's so new and there's still so many problems at the headend they you never know whether an issue is caused by YOU or THEM.

See if it happens again... the Sony doesn't appear to have a true "live" mode like some other DVRs, as it's about 1 or 2 seconds behind a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD on the same channel. So it seems like it's always reading off of the disk.
post #640 of 29289 Old 09-02-2005, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, the fix doesn't work, I had new channels added this morning. Maybe you can call your contact to inform them.
post #641 of 29289 Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post

Nathan: Could very well have been the source. That's the problem with HD: it's so new and there's still so many problems at the headend they you never know whether an issue is caused by YOU or THEM.

See if it happens again... the Sony doesn't appear to have a true "live" mode like some other DVRs, as it's about 1 or 2 seconds behind a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD on the same channel. So it seems like it's always reading off of the disk.

I was thinking the same thing. I started recording another program and then watching it while it still recorded, no problems. Oh well, my divx player and the internet can be my backup when this puppy (or live feeds) have problems.

post #642 of 29289 Old 09-02-2005, 07:42 AM

Quote:

So it seems like it's always reading off of the disk.

I think that's correct since you can hit the back/rewind button and it will playback stuff which just occured live.
post #643 of 29289 Old 09-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

The delay time must be a choice of the manufacturer. The Moto 6412 is always buffering live TV, but the delay between "live" on the 6412 and the same program from a different source is negligible, or maybe one second. The Sony delay can be about 6 seconds. I discovered this as I watched a ball game live on the Sony while I was on the phone with a friend. He had the same game on and was reacting to plays before they happpened! I've since used PIP to compare and get the same result. So yes, the Sony has a LONG delay due to buffering.

Phil
post #644 of 29289 Old 09-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

There's a difference between always "writing" to the hard drive and always "reading" from the hard drive. I suspect that "live" mode on most DVRs is essentially live decoding of the stream, and you only start reading the stream written to disk when you rewind or pause. Which makes sense for something like the 8300HD, which can have DVR capabilities totally disabled by the cable company so that it's just a "dumb" cable box.

On the Sony, I suspect that there's no "real time" decoding - it's always writing the stream to the drive before it again reads it a couple seconds later and decodes THAT. Thus the extra long delay. But also perhaps why its trick play performance is a lot better.
post #645 of 29289 Old 09-02-2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post

...Thus the extra long delay. But also perhaps why its trick play performance is a lot better.

Presently I own both the Sony and a Dish 942 PVR. The Sony 'trick play' is better, though it's close. Haven't tried an A/B comparison of live to find out delays. Satellite locals are definitely delayed; don't know about OTA between the two PVR's.
post #646 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Comparing OTA to cable, OTA on my old HDTV receiver used to be about 0.5 seconds ahead of anything on cable, but now it's about 3 seconds behind.

The Sony's trick play is a heck of a lot better than the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, which in addition to having an annoying 1+ second delay between you hitting RW or FW and it actually doing anything (it's possible to hit RW, wait a second, hit PLAY and have nothing occur except a brief pause), also looks more like a slow slideshow of images during RW or FF unless you're in the fastest mode.

In comparison the Sony is sooooo smooth and responsive.
post #647 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

All true. The trick play features are very smooth.

So I wonder why the unit's response time is so slow in other ways, like when bringing up the guide.

Phil
post #648 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

I get the feeling the Guide software and/or program listing database is not continually buffered in the background... almost like it has to initialize/start up each and every time you hit GUIDE.
post #649 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 05:11 PM

I don't know if this is a known glitch or not... but I just tried several times to record Forrest Gump on TNT-HD and each time the record light lites up, but then goes off. At the same time, the lock icon goes from unlocked to locked and then back again to unlocked as it stops recording.

Did I mess up some setting on this somewhere or is this a known glitch?
post #650 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Run, Forrest, run!

post #651 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Check the record log. Probably an error about copy protection.
post #652 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 07:13 PM

Press menu, recording history and then press select on the highlighted show that would not record. When I have had this problem it indicates the recording not permitted by service provider. Please let me know if your unit show the same message.
post #653 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 10:17 PM

The manual mentions paging thru the TV guide with the channel rocker - I noticed that it works on the Favorites also - I don't see any mention of that in the manual - Since the favorites categories seem to be ordered alphabetical - I was planning on renaming mine - but no need now
post #654 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 10:32 PM

Quote:

Press menu, recording history and then press select on the highlighted show that would not record. When I have had this problem it indicates the recording not permitted by service provider. Please let me know if your unit show the same message.

Yes damnit! Mine says "Recording not permitted by service provider".

What the heck is that???
Is this some sort of "copy never" broadcast flag BS?

I pay Time Warner around $110 each month, and if I cannot timeshift shows I desire to watch later, I am gonna cancel my service and move to Direct TV. Tomorrow, I will be calling to complain and demand a month refund since I am obviously NOT satisfied with the cable service....

EDIT: I've tried to record other stuff on TNTHD and none of it will record. Seems like the entire channel is copy never???
post #655 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 10:57 PM

That's crap merc, sorry they're screwing you. Hopefully you can get that settled, maybe someone can fix some stuff and get that turned off.

post #656 of 29289 Old 09-03-2005, 11:14 PM

ARGHHH.... this crap is pushing me closer and closer to the dark side... two wrongs might not make a right... but it sure will make me feel less powerless against this kind of Hollywood crap...
post #657 of 29289 Old 09-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc View Post

Yes damnit! Mine says "Recording not permitted by service provider".

What the heck is that???
Is this some sort of "copy never" broadcast flag BS?

I pay Time Warner around $110 each month, and if I cannot timeshift shows I desire to watch later, I am gonna cancel my service and move to Direct TV. Tomorrow, I will be calling to complain and demand a month refund since I am obviously NOT satisfied with the cable service....

EDIT: I've tried to record other stuff on TNTHD and none of it will record. Seems like the entire channel is copy never???

I agree with you on the copy BS the movie industry is pulling on us trying to record movies OFF TV we want to watch later in HD. The whole thing is a joke and I thought all this was worked out when this kind of stuff went down with the VCR, But, No its all back with the HD stuff. Its really out of control, Problem is your Sony HD recorder will be useless with Dish providers. As far as that goes it not just cable thats pulling this its the whole industry so you are not safe going that route either.
post #658 of 29289 Old 09-04-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc View Post

ARGHHH.... this crap is pushing me closer and closer to the dark side... two wrongs might not make a right... but it sure will make me feel less powerless against this kind of Hollywood crap...

TNT-HD records fine on Dish 942 PVR, no flags. However, the Sony OTA reception and picture quality is much better.

Cable+OTA or Sat+OTA or OTA only?...to be or not to be...

...remarks from the dark side
post #659 of 29289 Old 09-05-2005, 02:28 PM

Instead of giving a dad-to-day report on my guide's updating I waited til it was all full, which is today. It added one day of listings each day, and starting today I have 8 full days of listings. I've recorded 7 different things, and 6 were flawless. The one messed up recording I had could have been the broadcast, but I have no way of knowing.

I love how the guide tells you when shows are new. It might not say repeat on all the others...but I assume if it doesn't say new, it's a repeat right? Still impressed with this box.

post #660 of 29289 Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM

So can this unit record HD from cable if it has a Cable Card installed, or are all the channels "Record Never"? If it makes a difference, I'm on TimeWarner in New York City.

Regards,

Robert
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread - m401i-a3 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page