post #721 of 29289 Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

If you have it set to record a weekly half-hour show via the guide, and they do one episode (season finale, for example) for one hour, does the sony record the whole hour, like ReplayTV would?

I have seen the Sony make this adjustment. It seems to work as long as the increased program time slot (1 hour, 2 hours, whatever) includes the normal time slot. The LG did this also, so it's probably a built-in function of TVGOS. It has not worked with sports, like a football game that runs over.

YMMV, since TVGOS makes everything a big secret and I have not seen this documented anywhere.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 29289 Old 09-14-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Thanks, quick question about cable card install by cablevision, did the cablevision tech need to program anything or did he just isert the cablecard into the cablecard slot.

He did have to get some data of the display and call it in to have the card correctly provisioned.

Quote:

The reason I ask is I have an appointment set and may not have the Sony in time and I was hoping he might be able to leave the card.

Let's hope it comes in time.
post #723 of 29289 Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 AM

Grrrrrrr!

The Sony dropped my scheduled recordings for Bones and House last night. They were just gone off the scheduled recordings list. I didn't notice until Bones was halfway over.

Very pissed here. Anyone else missed recordings? Ever figured out why?
post #724 of 29289 Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruidh View Post

Grrrrrrr!

The Sony dropped my scheduled recordings for Bones and House last night. They were just gone off the scheduled recordings list. I didn't notice until Bones was halfway over.

Very pissed here. Anyone else missed recordings? Ever figured out why?

Yes my unit has done this in the past and also did it last night. I recorded Bones and House but it just skipped Rock Star: INXS. There was no indication why it did not record it just missed it. All three of these shows are set to record weekly.
post #725 of 29289 Old 09-16-2005, 01:13 PM

I hate to say it but I check that all of my programs are scheduled correctly EACH day and also make a point of making sure the recordings start as scheduled.

Kind of kills the whole idea behind DVR's but mine has me trained. It seems just when I start to trust it again it will miss something. Good thing I don't trust it anymore because it has been working fine!

I'll probably miss all my scheduled programs for the weekend and lose all of my epg since I made this post today...
post #726 of 29289 Old 09-16-2005, 08:28 PM

New problem.

SInce last night, the following trext has been displaying instead of the guide data: "Updated information will be available within 24 hours. The Guide is rebuilding your channel list based on your setup change."

Ummm. I didn't change anything in setup. My recordings have continued and I can search for programs, just not view the listings. I did the front panel reset this morning.

UPDATE 9/18: It seems to have resolved itself. I don;t know if it was related to my redoing the TVGOS setup yesterday. But there are still chunks of guide data missing on a lot of channels one week out.
post #727 of 29289 Old 09-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

wrc15963,

Now that my CableCARD is working (yippee!), I did not get any TV Guide info downloaded last night. The guide has always worked OK without the card. I'm going to do a reset and see if that takes care of it, but I'm worried that the card is somehow not allowing the guide info through.

Did you have any issues with the guide after your card was working?

Phil
post #728 of 29289 Old 09-17-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post

wrc15963,

Now that my CableCARD is working (yippee!), I did not get any TV Guide info downloaded last night. The guide has always worked OK without the card. I'm going to do a reset and see if that takes care of it, but I'm worried that the card is somehow not allowing the guide info through.

Did you have any issues with the guide after your card was working?

I don't think mine got the TV Guide info the first night. I would go ahead and do the reset and see what happens by tomorrow morning. You have suffered long enough and it would be nice to finally have everything work with your CableCard.
post #729 of 29289 Old 09-17-2005, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm about ready to buy one of these units, but have a question. To get all my OTA channels, it looks like I'll need two antennas. Can I hook up two seperate antennas to the two RF inputs on the HDD500? How does it combine the signals, or does it have to "pick" the antenna input?
post #730 of 29289 Old 09-17-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post

I'm about ready to buy one of these units, but have a question. To get all my OTA channels, it looks like I'll need two antennas. Can I hook up two seperate antennas to the two RF inputs on the HDD500? How does it combine the signals, or does it have to "pick" the antenna input?

One RF input is antenna and one is cable. The box does not accommodate choosing between different antennas, only 'antenna' or 'cable' or 'both.'
post #731 of 29289 Old 09-17-2005, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post

one thing that is not clearly explained in the manual is that while for cable - a scan always overwrites the previous channel lineup -( whatever odd unencrypted channels + subscribed channels happen to be on cable at the time you scan the cable will be all you can tune )-
In the case of the antenna OTA input - you have a choice of doing overwrite or alternately a separate "Auto Add from antenna" which lets you rotate or switch the antenna and then rescan to pickup the rest of the OTA stations to the channel list --
As far as I can determine - if the channel doesn't scan in you cannot tune it manually (no DXing capability)
post #732 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It should be noted that the "auto add from antenna" feature does not seem to scan in CHANGES made to previously scanned HDTV channels. For instance, recently two channels around here made some changes - one fixed their PSIP mapping and the second added a subchannel - and these two changes were not reflected by "auto add", just a complete overwrite scan.

And you're correct, you must do a scan before you can tune any HDTV channel in - although it is still possible to check the potential signal strength via the system menu.

Combining multiple wideband antennas aimed in different directions is NOT as simple as it may sound and is generally NOT recommended. Instead, invest in a rotor.
post #733 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post

Combining multiple wideband antennas aimed in different directions is NOT as simple as it may sound and is generally NOT recommended. Instead, invest in a rotor.

I agree with the difficulty of do-it-yourself antenna combining. In this town, antenna installers sell an 'area special,' a tv antenna that essentially combines 3 directional/channel-tuned antennas into one. It is a product manufactured for the specific market and combines the various signals into one downlead as part of its design, I would imagine other metro areas have the same thing available. The advantage of no rotor is mechanical simplicity and no need to manually rotate the antenna to receive programs you may record while absent.
post #734 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks guys. Guess my next step is find one antenna that does it all. At least I'm moving forward at long last. About 2 years ago I couldn't get squat with an antenna, yesterday I tried a small antenna and got most of my channels from inside the house - I thought I'd need to install on the roof and still have trouble. I'll be ordering a HDD500 later today!
post #735 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 06:44 AM

Can someone explain to me how to rest the TVGOS? I have searched to no avail.

Thanks
post #736 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77haven View Post

Can someone explain to me how to rest the TVGOS? I have searched to no avail.

A quick search for "reset" gives the answer. Or try page 83 of the printed manual.

Phil
post #737 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc15963 View Post

I don't think mine got the TV Guide info the first night. I would go ahead and do the reset and see what happens by tomorrow morning. You have suffered long enough and it would be nice to finally have everything work with your CableCard.

I did a reset last night. It looks like it won't help because this morning the TIME is still wrong on the front display. Without the card, the correct time would display a few minutes after a reset, although the guide needed overnight to download. I even tuned to the local PBS station (11 analog) before turning the unit off, since that was the host channel for the last three months.

It looks like the suffering will continue.

Phil
post #738 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post

I did a reset last night. It looks like it won't help because this morning the TIME is still wrong on the front display. Without the card, the correct time would display a few minutes after a reset, although the guide needed overnight to download. I even tuned to the local PBS station (11 analog) before turning the unit off, since that was the host channel for the last three months.

check previous posts #671 and #713( during Aug-Sept)for the hidden "9012" TVGOS menu - where you can check to see if the channel you are tuned to is sending VBI packets - I solved my problem by turning off the cable PBS channel -per a previous post - it was as I suspected sending corrupted data - turning the antenna to the OTA PBS channel while the unit is off -assuming no conflicting recording sched- will load the basic listing info for the next two days in less than 12 hours in my experience - The FAQ at TVGOS.com talks about the schedules for TVGOS data (about 4x per day)
post #739 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post

Checking the diagnostics screen, the Host Channel is shown as 0:0-17 (off air PBS), but the VBI Host is showing as 0:0-51 - which, if I check it, is an extremely fuzzy PAX. Perhaps I should remove 51 from the DVR's list to prevent any attempt at locking onto such a weak channel?...

I went to the diagnostic screen and I do not see the Host Channel or VBI Host information as you have listed. Is this the diagnostic screen from the following path? Preferences, System, Diagnostics.
post #740 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I went to the diagnostic screen and I do not see the Host Channel or VBI Host information as you have listed. Is this the diagnostic screen from the following path? Preferences, System, Diagnostics.

From another poster:

Diagnostics screen: go to the main Guide Setup menu (the one with three options). Move the cursor highlight over the first option, "Change System Settings" but do NOT hit Select. Type in the number "753159852". You'll now be in the diagnostics menu... use up/down to select category, and left/right to see other screens. When you first enter the menu, if you hit RIGHT you can see what Host Channel it's using (ignore the VBI Channel, that seems to just be the last channel you were on before entering). Most of the screens won't be particularly useful, but there's one where you can see your Guide packet decoding statistics and, if you tuned the Host channel before entering diagnostics, you can see live decoding statistics.

Phil
post #741 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can you load dvd or DVD-R movies onto the hard drive instead of only TV broadcasts?
post #742 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post

Can you load dvd or DVD-R movies onto the hard drive instead of only TV broadcasts?

nope.
There are no external inputs, except antenna and cable.
post #743 of 29289 Old 09-18-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:

there is another way to monitor the VBI packets -tune to the channel you want to monitor for TVGOS VBI - hit {menu} -then on the upperleft of the remote - press {screen mode} -don't select any menu selection - just key in {9012} you will get a new list - scroll down to {TV Guide} and {select} - select G* Factory test - (don't use the G* factory default unless you want to start from scratch with the EPG) --- it will then display a color bar screen with the VBI packets being received if TVGOS is on that channel - If its not it will show VBI fail and the VBI good reading will stay at zero - usually it will show about 1 or 2 good packets per second I use this method to make sure I have no cable channels feeding TVGOS info
post #744 of 29289 Old 09-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone with this Sony DVR using a Gefen HDMI Switcher and if so, what, if any, problems are you seeing? I've heard that it causes the unit to switch from, say 1080i, to 480i. Any comments would be appreciated. Also, will the PQ quality improve using HDMI vs component? Thanks.

Jim
post #745 of 29289 Old 09-19-2005, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirluckyj View Post

Is anyone with this Sony DVR using a Gefen HDMI Switcher and if so, what, if any, problems are you seeing? I've heard that it causes the unit to switch from, say 1080i, to 480i. Any comments would be appreciated. Also, will the PQ quality improve using HDMI vs component? Thanks.

Jim

I tried the HD-241N and had to send it back for a refund. With the switcher in place I had a HDCP problem where the Sony would not authenticate with the TV. With the switcher out of the picture it never has an authentication problem.
post #746 of 29289 Old 09-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

I just talked to Gefen. They confirmed a problem with the 2x1 HMDI switcher. They have a new 4x1 HDMI switcher. They are going to see if this problem has been corrected on the new unit and email me. If so, I will get it. I'll advise.

Jim
post #747 of 29289 Old 09-19-2005, 01:29 PM

I noticed two nights ago that something was supposed to be recording and when I looked at the face of the machine the RECORDING indicator was not on. I looked at the recordings list and the shows that were to be recorded were there. On closer inspection I noticed that the time readout was entirely wrong and was in fact frozen on the display. No matter what I did the display showed 6:32pm (or somewhere close by there).

After I made sure my recordings were done for the evening I did a reset. I couldn't do it using the buttons on the face because none of them reacted. I had to unplug the unit for a few minutes. It came back on and the and the remote and the buttons on the face began to operate properly but the time was incorrect. If I remember correctly the time was not set it all, it was blank. It reset itself overnight and everything appeared normal until this morning. It was acting similarly but it did go back to normal without a reset.

Anyone else seen this happen? Could there be a problem with the Auto-off feature that happens in the middle of the night? Most of the time I turn it off myself in the evening but I was transferring something from the Sony to my DVD recorder. I have noticed that the show freezes on the "Delete" page at the end of playback and that it is a little sluggish to come back to life the next morning...Maybe its a combination of being left on and the playback "End" menu is left on when the unit is trying to automatically shut itself off...? Does anyone know if you are watching the machine when it is scheduled to turn off will it just shut down on you or will it give you some kind of warning about what is about to happen?
post #748 of 29289 Old 09-19-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if you are watching the machine when it is scheduled to turn off will it just shut down on you or will it give you some kind of warning about what is about to happen?

I was watching TV Saturday night at 1am and it just shut off without any warning.
post #749 of 29289 Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlogan View Post

I was watching TV Saturday night at 1am and it just shut off without any warning.

This is not the anticipated behavior for the unit. You should normally get a warning when its auto-shutdown is about to happen. In my own case, I haven't had it shut down without warning yet, and I have seen the warning several times.
post #750 of 29289 Old 09-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stork3000 View Post

This is not the anticipated behavior for the unit. You should normally get a warning when its auto-shutdown is about to happen. In my own case, I haven't had it shut down without warning yet, and I have seen the warning several times.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention and missed the warning. It was a long night of being out ;-) I just know it shut off right at the end of SNL at 1am. It took me a second to remember it was supposed to do that. Since the warning before the channel change comes 2 minutes before and then goes away before the change, I bet I was away during the last commercial break before they came back to wave goodbye and missed the warning. Does it also happen 2 minutes before shut off?
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread - m401i-a3 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page