Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
nameless33's Avatar nameless33 05:05 PM 10-02-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pri9908 View Post

I have had programs drop from time to time too. Lately, I have had to check daily at the scheduled recordings to make sure that the list stays accurate. Shouldn't have to do it with
a $700+ piece of equipment but what can I say?

Worthless comes to mind. Guess it'll be a long wait for next year's model.

Belle View's Avatar Belle View 08:35 PM 10-02-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccikong View Post

Daniel,
I added the Sony SVR-2000 as a PVR device on my Harmony 659 remote, but it doesn't control anything on my DHG-HDD250. The SVR-2000 was the model number I found for the stand-alone Sony TiVo by searching the Web. Are you aware of any other model number that I can try, or any other way to get the previous channel code into my Harmony remote?

Thanks.

I had the same problem. Called Harmony, they diagnosed the problem as a non-compatible language. The tech devised a fix, ran it through their simulator, and had me download the fix via the update button. During the call the tech also suggested customization of the remote that would allow my other components to run a little smoother. All components now work great. Apparently Harmony has techs answering phones during business hours, WOW!
tasm's Avatar tasm 11:00 PM 10-02-2005
It is also illegal to make a device to "correct" that - or to make one that allows recording of the Component HD 720/1080 signal -gotcha!

So i guess i'd have to use s-video to record HD.
buccikong's Avatar buccikong 07:32 AM 10-03-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View View Post

I had the same problem. Called Harmony, they diagnosed the problem as a non-compatible language. The tech devised a fix, ran it through their simulator, and had me download the fix via the update button. During the call the tech also suggested customization of the remote that would allow my other components to run a little smoother. All components now work great. Apparently Harmony has techs answering phones during business hours, WOW!

Thanks for the response Belle View. Initially, I just had the Harmony learn all of the codes for the DHG-HDD250 from the factory remote since their online database didn't have any working codes. I'm fine with it, I'd just like to add the previous channel. When the Harmony tech devised a fix for you, was it to the codes meant for one of the stand-alone Sony TiVo DVRs (if so, which model), or was it to the DHG-HDD250 itself? If the fix was to the DHG-HDD250, does it include the previous channel code, because the factory remote doesn't even have it.

Thanks.
Belle View's Avatar Belle View 11:21 AM 10-03-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccikong View Post

Thanks for the response Belle View. Initially, I just had the Harmony learn all of the codes for the DHG-HDD250 from the factory remote since their online database didn't have any working codes. I'm fine with it, I'd just like to add the previous channel. When the Harmony tech devised a fix for you, was it to the codes meant for one of the stand-alone Sony TiVo DVRs (if so, which model), or was it to the DHG-HDD250 itself? If the fix was to the DHG-HDD250, does it include the previous channel code, because the factory remote doesn't even have it.

Thanks.

Once the core problem was resolved all the available commands appeared in the options menu. This allows me to choose which commands I can access for the TV, Receiver and PVR. One of the many commands available is the previous channel (if I recall correctly). Remember, for mute you will want the command to go through your TV or receiver. When you open the customization screen you will see all commands available for each of the affected components, so you will choose mute under the receiver and previous channel under the PVR. The commands are for the DHG-HDDXXX
nascar24's Avatar nascar24 05:31 PM 10-03-2005
Just an upfront warning, I dont know if TVguide uses the same data in every market but they have LOST wrong on wednesday as it shows a different program in the LOST time slot. I think this could be the reason some people miss programs as the data in the TVguide may not be correct. Also, I dont see where you can manually put the time in when its wrong. Is there a spot somewhere where you can do this?
Carl_Ballard's Avatar Carl_Ballard 06:28 PM 10-03-2005
On a similar note, I have yet to receive the TV Guide listings. I manually set up some recording, but where do I manually set the system time?
bestlab's Avatar bestlab 06:40 PM 10-03-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post

On a similar note, I have yet to receive the TV Guide listings. I manually set up some recording, but where do I manually set the system time?

Sorry give to you the BAD news - but you can't - it will always be from 12am 1/1/2004 plus the time since you plugged it in - Sony wont let you set the time, date , or tune an unscanned channel- manually--Look back thru the thread for kluges to get the TG Guide to respond - (I put some in the low #700s) #714 as I recall see also #771 - Mine quit working - Sony has it now -
philspice1's Avatar philspice1 11:20 PM 10-03-2005
Has anyone else had scheduled recordings automatically delete themselves from the Schedule menu? I had mine set to record Commander in Chief on ABC which it did fine last week but the scheduled event to record the next episode was not listed. Tonight I rescheduled it and again it disappeared later this evening. I can't figure out any reason for this. Normally if there is a conflict, the event will still be listed, but grayed out. I think this may only be happening on ABC but I'm not 100% sure about that yet.
Ruidh's Avatar Ruidh 07:29 AM 10-04-2005
This week's issue: A new error message appeared while watching a recorded program.

"A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all cable services at this time. Please call your cable operator and report error code 161-4 to have the problem resolved."

Of course, Cablevision has no clue what this error code meant. As far as I could see all my usual channels were available including my premium channels. Thet had me shut down the device, remiove the cablecard, read them the number on the card and reinsert it. Of course, removing and reinserting caused TVGOS to rebuild the channels losing all of my order and on/off settings.
Ruidh's Avatar Ruidh 07:34 AM 10-04-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by philspice1 View Post

Has anyone else had scheduled recordings automatically delete themselves from the Schedule menu? I had mine set to record Commander in Chief on ABC which it did fine last week but the scheduled event to record the next episode was not listed. Tonight I rescheduled it and again it disappeared later this evening. I can't figure out any reason for this. Normally if there is a conflict, the event will still be listed, but grayed out. I think this may only be happening on ABC but I'm not 100% sure about that yet.

I've had shows recording cancelled before. I used to set up shows to record "regularly" hoping that it would work like a TivO and get all episodes of a show. But that caused recording conflicts and I think that the recordings I missed were when there were conflicts that the usit wouldn't resolve.

I don't think that conflicts work the way you think they do. I've seen grayed out items when the show isn't on the schedule. For example, there are no Bones and House for the next few weeks while Fox shows the playoffs and world series. My Tuesday night recordings showed greyed out and I was able to schedule Gilmore Girls on Tuesday. But, when Bones and House return on Nov 1, I expect the conflict to knock something off my schedule. I think I'll see all my Tuesday conflicts removed and I'll have to tell it to get one or the other.
Opinionated's Avatar Opinionated 08:25 AM 10-04-2005
Quote:

Has anyone else had scheduled recordings automatically delete themselves from the Schedule menu? ......it disappeared

I don't have your problem [yet] but have what may be a variant of a similar issue.

I'm not using a cablecard, just the QAM tuner.

NBC is on channel 0 (zero).

The programs show up in the guide. I can record them if I schedule ahead of time.

BUT, the second a program starts, it loses its info. If I press info, I get the channel but also "unknown program". I can no longer record the program using the guide but only as an "unknown".

Only on NBC.
Alan Curry's Avatar Alan Curry 08:49 AM 10-04-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruidh View Post

"A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all cable services at this time. Please call your cable operator and report error code 161-4 to have the problem resolved."

I have a Sony RP-LCD and had a cable card for it for a while just to test to see if I would get a 161-* error. Some people have had firmware updates while others have had cable card tuners replaced. I didn't have any problems.

The first thing I'd check is the signal. In other posts I've read, cable cards require good signals and maybe stronger signals than what is normally needed. Do a search on "Sony 161" for more information.

Hope this helps,

Alan
bestlab's Avatar bestlab 02:44 PM 10-04-2005
Quote:

Has anyone else had scheduled recordings automatically delete themselves from the Schedule menu? .

I read on another forum that an H10 HD DVR (dish?) does something similar when using the HDMI (supposedly incorrectly checking to see if the TV is powered up) - In that case - using the component output and leaving the HDMI disconnected stopped the problem - I notice that the manual for the HDD500 says the component outputs only work if the HDMI is disconnected - maybe there is some fouled-up software that using component instead of HDMI would work around.
Carl_Ballard's Avatar Carl_Ballard 05:20 PM 10-04-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestlab View Post

Sorry give to you the BAD news - but you can't - it will always be from 12am 1/1/2004 plus the time since you plugged it in - Sony wont let you set the time, date , or tune an unscanned channel- manually--Look back thru the thread for kluges to get the TG Guide to respond - (I put some in the low #700s) #714 as I recall see also #771 - Mine quit working - Sony has it now -

That sucks big time! Still no guide, either.
PhillyC's Avatar PhillyC 06:03 PM 10-04-2005
It's difficult to tell who is using OTA or cable while reading some of these posts with guide problems. So, just in case you have cable (with or without CableCARD) and cannot get any guide data, I'll remind you of this previous post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6238074

Mentioning OTA, cable, CC, and putting your location in your profile would make it a lot easier for others to help you.
bestlab's Avatar bestlab 09:00 PM 10-04-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post

It's difficult to tell who is using OTA or cable while reading some of these posts with guide problems. Mentioning OTA, cable, CC, and putting your location in your profile would make it a lot easier for others to help you.

-When I talked to the Comcast head-end here in 974xx they said they have no TVGuide insertion equipment - any signal would have to be a pass through from the broadcaster - which apparently isn't happening - The PBS affiliate engineer told me that if the video signal is run through a proc amp (rebuilds the VBI) the data will possibly be lost. -proc amps are common in head-end operations - where local ads are inserted etc..
PhilB's Avatar PhilB 07:20 AM 10-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post

That sucks big time! Still no guide, either.

As PhillyC stated, it would be helpful if we knew whether you are using the DHG-HDD for OTA only or cable recording.

I'd suggest you call your local PBS station engineering dept. and ask them if they are broadcasting the Gemstart guide data. If so, make sure your DHG-HDD is set up to tune that channel.

If you're only hooked up to cable, then try hooking up an antenna (rabbit ears may be adequate) to see if you get the time and guide data.

-phil
kidAtoZed's Avatar kidAtoZed 09:29 AM 10-05-2005
Hi all,

I've read a couple of posts in this thread about having copy protection issues that prevent you from recording HD programs when using the CableCARD. Does anyone know if that's an across-the-board thing, or just happening with a handful of cable providers? Also, has anyone heard of this happening with other components that rely on CableCARD to receive/record HD (ex Toshiba TV with Symbio recorder)? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks!
inlogan's Avatar inlogan 01:32 PM 10-05-2005
Looks like Sony is paying some attention to the TVGOS problems. I found this in the support section of the Sony website.

Knowledge Article C394733

The TV Guide On Screen set up is complete, but the program guide information is not showing.

After completing the TV Guide On Screen set up, program guide information will not immediately be available. It may take up to 24 hours after the set up is complete before program guide information begins to appear. This is normal, however, be sure that no cable or DSS set-top box is connected, because this can interfere with the TV Guide signal.

NOTE: It may take longer than 24 hours after the set up is complete for some program guide information to become available.

IMPORTANT: For customers in the Dallas area only: The TV Guide On Screen information is broadcast on channel 13 which is on the A-feed. Select the A-feed then turn off the Digital Network Recorder to collect the guide data.

IMPORTANT: For customers in the state of New York only: The TV Guide On Screen information is not currently available if using Cablevision cable service. Contact your service provider for further information.

videophiles's Avatar videophiles 01:49 PM 10-05-2005
anyone tried to add another 250GB hard-drive to hdd250 model? seems like the hdd500 has two 250GB hard-disks i think.

*btw, hi-def contents are recorded in mpeg-2??? i wish i could make-use of the USB port to burn few hi-def dvds!
PhillyC's Avatar PhillyC 03:57 PM 10-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestlab View Post

-When I talked to the Comcast head-end here in 974xx they said they have no TVGuide insertion equipment - any signal would have to be a pass through from the broadcaster - which apparently isn't happening - The PBS affiliate engineer told me that if the video signal is run through a proc amp (rebuilds the VBI) the data will possibly be lost. -proc amps are common in head-end operations - where local ads are inserted etc..

I have seen a couple of internal Comcast memos that address TVG problems. They were shown to me confidentially, so I cannot reproduce them here. One of them was dated early in 2005, so Comcast has long been aware of this issue at some level of the company.

The way I understand it, the Gemstar equipment resides at the local station, such as PBS. Comcast should have no trouble passing the VBI part of the broadcast signal on an analog channel, except when your home setup involves passing that channel through a digital-only box (like the DCT-700) or a DVR (like the 6412), which internally changes the signal to digital so it can be recorded on the HDD. Yes, the cableco may lose the Guide data if such a signal passes through certain equipment (edge decoders) at the headend, but that equipment can be bypassed in the case of the Guide host channels.

Comcast has an agreement with TVG to figure out how to pass the Guide data in all possible scenarios. TVG has agreed to render technical assistance as needed. Comcast is also working with Motorola with regard to the DVR's and digital boxes.

Eventually, the encoders, edge decoders, and set top boxes will all have to be upgraded. Also, when cablecos go totally digital, they will need to maintain one or two analog versions of host channels. I heard a while ago in these forums that TVG was working to come up with data generation equipment that is all digital, but the Comcast memos do not address this at all. Nor do we know if our current consumer units would work with such future digital equipment.

The bottom line is that Comcast is well aware of all the Guide issues, has a plan to address them, and is working with TVG all along the way. The wheels, however, turn slowly.
tasm's Avatar tasm 04:22 PM 10-05-2005
I wonder if you can install a bigger hard drive in the future in the DHGhdd.Like if they come out with a 500GB hard drive.Is a computer hard drive the same as the hard drives in DVR'S?
pri9908's Avatar pri9908 07:03 PM 10-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by videophiles View Post

anyone tried to add another 250GB hard-drive to hdd250 model? seems like the hdd500 has two 250GB hard-disks i think.

*btw, hi-def contents are recorded in mpeg-2??? i wish i could make-use of the USB port to burn few hi-def dvds!

It does have (2) 250GB hard drives.
icmoney's Avatar icmoney 07:34 PM 10-06-2005
My 250HDD is randomly dropping scheduled recordings. Seems to be confined to my CBS HD channel. I receive my HD channel over cable and I do not use CableCard. I schedule all of Monday nights CBS HD schedule and it will remain on the schedule thru Sunday. When I check on Monday, usually 3 shows have been dropped from scheduled recordings list. Other shows are dropped on other nights as well. It seems to drop them on the day they are to record.

I've only had my unit for about 5 weeks and I am still collecting data to see if there is some kind of pattern. Will update post if I discover anything.
PhillyC's Avatar PhillyC 07:55 PM 10-06-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by icmoney View Post

My 250HDD is randomly dropping scheduled recordings.

What do you see in Recording History?
pri9908's Avatar pri9908 08:50 PM 10-06-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by icmoney View Post

My 250HDD is randomly dropping scheduled recordings. Seems to be confined to my CBS HD channel. I receive my HD channel over cable and I do not use CableCard. I schedule all of Monday nights CBS HD schedule and it will remain on the schedule thru Sunday. When I check on Monday, usually 3 shows have been dropped from scheduled recordings list. Other shows are dropped on other nights as well. It seems to drop them on the day they are to record.

I've only had my unit for about 5 weeks and I am still collecting data to see if there is some kind of pattern. Will update post if I discover anything.

My unit dropped this week's episodes of "Lost" and "Invasion." They are both scheduled weekly and I checked as late as 2p.m. EST to verify that they were still listed. Good thing they will repeat on Saturday. I will try again as once-only scheduled recordings. The weekly recordings seem to be more prone to taking the hit than the once-only ones.
icmoney's Avatar icmoney 02:52 PM 10-07-2005
Recording Hist shows everything I have recorded, but I rescheduled all dropped recordings as I noticed they were gone.
nascar24's Avatar nascar24 07:51 PM 10-07-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pri9908 View Post

My unit dropped this week's episodes of "Lost" and "Invasion." They are both scheduled weekly and I checked as late as 2p.m. EST to verify that they were still listed. Good thing they will repeat on Saturday. I will try again as once-only scheduled recordings. The weekly recordings seem to be more prone to taking the hit than the once-only ones.

I stated this in another thread that this is not the fault of the recorder itself but the TV guide data was wrong, LOST was wrong in my TV guide data this week so I put it in manually. Im sure this is what probably happened to you as well. Although in my market Invasion was still correct.
lussie's Avatar lussie 10:33 PM 10-07-2005
Wow.. I was just googled "Sony HDD500 Linux" and noticed that Sony posted the source code.

Doh.. I cant post the URL (still a newby)

Anyway, you can do the search and see..

Cheers,
-Kevin
Tags: sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop