post #901 of 29259 Old 10-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post

To dszigeti,

Funny, out of probably 40+ recordings mine has never missed a single one. You said it "fails quite often," so how long exactly have you been using it, and how many shows have failed?

I wish you could rename unknown shows...but I would rather spend the time figuring out why the tvgos isn't working. What exactly is your problem? Do you get tvgos data?

And you said you "concur" with the recording assessments....well sorry, but some of our units work perfectly well.

I would have "lost" Commander-in-Chief last night, again, but I looked at the schedule list Monday evening. This time CiC was there, but grayed out. So, I checked the TVGOS listing, and there was CiC, right where it was supposed to be. I deleted the grayed out item, and reset the recording schedule (and it did record).

Also, West Wing for next Sunday was grayed out. I went to check the listing for that, and don't have any TVGOS listing from 4:30am Sunday to 4:30am Monday. So, this one at least worked the way it was supposed to, but now I don't know how to force Sunday to refresh within the guide.

Still - way weird (after a summer of fairly perfect behaviour).

Rick Brodzinsky

SF Bay Area - OTA & Xfinity

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 29259 Old 10-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cable guy came and installed Cable Card on my DHG-HDD500.

I asked if he installed a CC before and he said many!

He knew exactlly what to do and had it up and running in about

10 min. Awesome! Records with no problem!

I am waiting for Guide to d/l now.

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #903 of 29259 Old 10-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Am fuming at Sony, the sent my unit back to me - said they just reset to factory defaults.

2 days later time still not synched and TVGUIDE not downloaded.

Its not the CC as that was changed before, I have CC on my TV and works fine.

This has to be the most overpriced crappy product.
post #904 of 29259 Old 10-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrodzinsky View Post

I would have "lost" Commander-in-Chief last night, again, but I looked at the schedule list Monday evening. This time CiC was there, but grayed out. So, I checked the TVGOS listing, and there was CiC, right where it was supposed to be. I deleted the grayed out item, and reset the recording schedule (and it did record).

Also, West Wing for next Sunday was grayed out. I went to check the listing for that, and don't have any TVGOS listing from 4:30am Sunday to 4:30am Monday. So, this one at least worked the way it was supposed to, but now I don't know how to force Sunday to refresh within the guide.

Well, I noticed this for CIC as well but a few days earlier and sure enough the guide was wrong at that point. But yesterday it was correct again, The problem with that is it didnt check again. So its obvious that the guide does not go back and check on a daily basis, Which I agree does suck. So just because it was there last night didnt mean it was correct before hand. I caught it 10 mins. into the show as I had forgot about it from earlier. Ah, well, Other than the guide mis info causing missed recordings I do like the machine.
post #905 of 29259 Old 10-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey, the same thing happened to Commander in Chief for me too, and I've never had a problem before!! Only I didn't catch it ahead of time, so I didn't record it...thank goodness for my replaytv with internet video sharing..........

I wonder if it was some issue with the tvgos data? Did anyone happen to look at the schedule listing before 9pm (eastern) yesterday? Actually, I see from the post above that someone did......well, very annoying behavior, to say the least! You would think Sony would have enough clout to put pressure on tvguide to get the listings RIGHT...
post #906 of 29259 Old 10-19-2005, 05:07 PM

To The Blarg,

Funny, out of probably 40+ recordings mine has never missed a single one. You said it "fails quite often," so how long exactly have you been using it, and how many shows have failed? /// .... I have had it for about a month and a half. It failed to record about 10 shows in the first week, and about 5 in the second week. I am still watching it to see what it does, but this week, none have failed.

I wish you could rename unknown shows...but I would rather spend the time figuring out why the tvgos isn't working. What exactly is your problem? Do you get tvgos data?/// .... Yes, I get the data. As stated by numerous of us, even thought the recorder has the show name and a "red dot" with "W" on the program to start recording, you can watch the recorder move to (say) 9 PM, and no recording occurs. I have not had the problem in the last two weeks, so maybe the unit needs to "settle down" ... Maybe the TVGOS is not "stable" when it loads intially???

And you said you "concur" with the recording assessments....well sorry, but some of our units work perfectly well. ... Ah yes ... but you underestimate how many variables are involved with getting every unit to work - not just yours! And I guess you would jump to the "operator" error" conclusion first. Well, if you look at the data some of us are reporting, there is not too much room for error. TVGOS program right there on he screen in front of me, "red dot" on, "W" on, time comes and goes ... no recording!!!

So just thank your lucky stars that you are one of the lucky ones.

I also concur with your statement that it is likely to be the TVGOS software. But when Sony puts it in their devices, they take ownership of it - so to me it's a Sony problem.

And by the way, I own a lot of Sony equipment, and I am thinking of buying more (like the Hi-def camcorder) ... but problems like this sour my overall view of the company and their capabilities.

Aussie
post #907 of 29259 Old 10-20-2005, 06:44 AM

I record regulary (the red and a R), maybe that's it. I also only use the schedule list to determine what will and will not record. I don't care if there is a red dot in the listings, it's all about the scheduled listings page.
post #908 of 29259 Old 10-20-2005, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I record regulary (the red and a R), maybe that's it. I also only use the schedule list to determine what will and will not record. I don't care if there is a red dot in the listings, it's all about the scheduled listings page.

That is what I have been using, too. Last night, I checked at about 8:45 to make sure LOST would record (it was there and correct Tuesday night), and lo and behold, it was no longer in the schedule listings! Not grayed out, just not there! So, I went back to the listings page, and once again set a "regular recording". (and now, of course, the next two weeks won't have new episodes of Lost).

What is baffling me is that this behavior has just started in the last couple of weeks, and only seems to affect ABC shows (I haven't tried seeing if it is HD vs Analog dependent - the whole point of this recorder is the OTA HD). And don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS RECORDER!

Rick Brodzinsky

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #909 of 29259 Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 AM

Blarg etal,

I also started using the "red dot" and "R", but I changed to the "W" to "make it easier on the recorder". It didn't have to search for regular programming, just record the same time same channel. It didn't matter it failed with both settings. As I said though, failures have reduced to zero in the last couple of weeks. And yes I like the recorder too. But it is certainly not because it is user friendly ... it is user hostile!!!! :-(

Aussie
post #910 of 29259 Old 10-20-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestlab View Post

... Sony sent me a new - refurb? -today - - with all accessories by overnite fedex - it's still loading TVGOS at this time -it has low s/n - the s/n is 8100311 - is the previous owner here?-

my TVGOS has updated sucessfully using the cable PBS channel this time - apparently when my other unit crashed (froze) - the TVGOS functionality was lost and would not recover by reboot, TVGOS "factory default, or and sony resets on 9012 menu. -( to reiterate - the DHG froze and then rebooted when I scrolled while pressing select on the remote - after that no TVGOs back in September -)
Quote:

previous post >>.....but I changed to the "W" to "make it easier on the recorder

can someone explain that "W" refers to?
post #911 of 29259 Old 10-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestlab View Post

my TVGOS has updated sucessfully using the cable PBS channel this time - apparently when my other unit crashed (froze) - the TVGOS functionality was lost and would not recover by reboot, TVGOS "factory default, or and sony resets on 9012 menu. -( to reiterate - the DHG froze and then rebooted when I scrolled while pressing select on the remote - after that no TVGOs back in September -) can someone explain that "W" refers to?

Weekly.
post #912 of 29259 Old 10-20-2005, 03:49 PM

Since no one seems to be having the problems I'm having, I'll just keep providing updates to my situation on the off-chance that someone will have a suggestion or this helps someone make the decision to buy or not buy this unit.

Finally talked to a human at Sci-Atl on Wednesday and Thursday. Guy on Wednesday didn't seem to know much about CableCARD and just wrote everything down and "sent it to the engineers." Called today for an update and got a different guy who simply asked, "when was it built?" Mine was built May '05. Apparently Sci-Atl developed a firmware upgrade in Apr '05 and all CC built after then have it already. Besides that, he seemed determined to not allow the blame to be put on the CableCARD.

SO, I'm back to waiting on Sony, who today said they have no update on a fix to why I keep loosing Digital Tier programming shortly (30m - 2 hrs) after a reset (including hard factory default resets.)

...hmmm...hmm...hmmm....
post #913 of 29259 Old 10-21-2005, 06:41 AM

Noticed today in the menu of the unit (not tvgos) that there is a record history. I have been 66 for 66 in successful recordings.

Again, not trying to say anyone with problems is a naysayer...just trying to give a fair overview of this unit.

I'm in Los Angeles on OTA (location and content are major factors).
post #914 of 29259 Old 10-21-2005, 08:25 AM

Man, am I having a headache with TVGOS. I used to have three selections on the Guide Setup screen where you choose your cable lineup. Then one of the three (the one I routinely chose) disappeared and I neede to experiment between selecting the other and laboriously reprogramming all of my channel selections.

The, a few days ago, the listings failed to reappear with the dreaded rebuilding your guide data because of your setup change message. Except, of course, I didn't change my setup as it was working perfectly for me. The 24 hours has now been 4 days and I'd have been really pissed if most of my recordings weren't being grabbed by the guide data from before the failure.

But that data is tunnig out and unless the guide rebuilds itself before tomorrow night, I am going to be missing lots of scheduled recordings.

last night I got the dreaded 161-6 cablecard error and I reset the box and removed and reinserted the cablecard.

Nathan118, this box works great when it works. I've had several weeks of flawless operation, but these period are punctuated by periods of bizarre braindamage on the part of this unit.
post #915 of 29259 Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Noticed today in the menu of the unit (not tvgos) that there is a record history. I have been 66 for 66 in successful recordings.

Again, not trying to say anyone with problems is a naysayer...just trying to give a fair overview of this unit.

I'm in Los Angeles on OTA (location and content are major factors).

My Recording History shows me perfect, too (except for one I purposely killed when I first got the unit, to see what would happen). Since it didn't try to record the shows where the schedule mysteriously disappears, it isn't a failed recording.

Rick Brodzinsky

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #916 of 29259 Old 10-21-2005, 03:46 PM

The guide finally d/l last night!

The guide displays e.g. all Discovery Channels grouped together,
all HBO, all Showtimes etc. no matter what the channel #s are.
Unlike Comcasts guide listings which list in numerical order on the screen.
The channel display on the Sony is correct with Comcast box

Is that right?

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #917 of 29259 Old 10-21-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:

My Recording History shows me perfect, too (except for one I purposely killed when I first got the unit, to see what would happen). Since it didn't try to record the shows where the schedule mysteriously disappears, it isn't a failed recording.

The record history did not show that I was 66 for 66. It showed that I have recorded 66 shows. The fact that every show I have setup to record has recorded is what tells me I have been 66 for 66.
post #918 of 29259 Old 10-21-2005, 05:38 PM

I'm in Los Angeles viewing ABC off the air HD and lost my weekly recording of Commander in Chief also!

It was greyed out with the times listed as 9 pm - 10 pm Tuesday with ????????????.

Must be the TV Guide ..... this is too wierd. I can't believe I missed the episode, though!
post #919 of 29259 Old 10-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Hey, the same thing happened to Commander in Chief for me too, and I've never had a problem before!! Only I didn't catch it ahead of time, so I didn't record it...thank goodness for my replaytv with internet video sharing..........

I wonder if it was some issue with the tvgos data? Did anyone happen to look at the schedule listing before 9pm (eastern) yesterday? Actually, I see from the post above that someone did......well, very annoying behavior, to say the least! You would think Sony would have enough clout to put pressure on tvguide to get the listings RIGHT...

Hi, I haven't posted before so please forgive any errors. I discovered before the 10/18 show that Commander In Chief wasn't going to record. I looked up CIS in the listings and set up another recording. It did record and I discovered that the title had changed from "Commander-In-Chief" previously to "Commander In Chief" on 10/18.

I have Over the Air only and have had complete success recording programs with my DHG-HDD500 since I bought it in early September. My biggest issue is with TVGOS which does not list 3 digital channels in the Albuquerque-Santa Fe area, so I had to use the analog channels to get guide info. It would be helpful to find a phone # to contact them to fix this. I tried an email, but they didn't respond and Sony tech support does have contact info either. If someone has a TVGOS tech phone #, let me know.

I really like this forum. I don't come here on a daily basis, so it may take me a couple of days to reply.

Rob
post #920 of 29259 Old 10-21-2005, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone from Sony is following this thread, for the next firmware update, please consider adding a 29 second setting to the configurable ADVANCE command. The 30 second one is OK for jumping past commercials, but then you have to back up a bit unless you mind missing the first few seconds when the program returns. With a 29 second skip, as soon as a commercial comes on, you could hit ADVANCE 4-5 times and land 2 or 3 seconds before the program returns, without the need to rewind or jump back. Just an idea...

One other suggestion - please implement a shortcut to turn the closed captions on and off. Maybe pressing and holding the INFO button could bring up the caption menu?
post #921 of 29259 Old 10-22-2005, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMeyer1 View Post

Hi, I haven't posted before so please forgive any errors. I discovered before the 10/18 show that Commander In Chief wasn't going to record. I looked up CIS in the listings and set up another recording. It did record and I discovered that the title had changed from "Commander-In-Chief" previously to "Commander In Chief" on 10/18.

I have Over the Air only and have had complete success recording programs with my DHG-HDD500 since I bought it in early September. My biggest issue is with TVGOS which does not list 3 digital channels in the Albuquerque-Santa Fe area, so I had to use the analog channels to get guide info. It would be helpful to find a phone # to contact them to fix this. I tried an email, but they didn't respond and Sony tech support does have contact info either. If someone has a TVGOS tech phone #, let me know.

I really like this forum. I don't come here on a daily basis, so it may take me a couple of days to reply.

Rob

TVGOS support line -- 800-286-7380 -- not sure how technical it is, though.
post #922 of 29259 Old 10-23-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMeyer1 View Post

Rob

Rob:

I'm using a DHG-HDD250 for OTA HD recording. Several of the "lesser" digital
stations were missing from my TVGOS as well. I found that if I took an unsued
entry, say a digital channel in another language or one that was too weak to
actually use or the analogue equivalent channel (probably the best choice),
and edit the entry, I could get proper listings for the missing channel. In my
area, analogue 23 is digital 26-2, so I editted the 23 entry to change the
channel number to 26-2 and everything works perfectly.
post #923 of 29259 Old 10-23-2005, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess Sony forgot to put in a "previous channel" button on the remote. Would be nice to have.
post #924 of 29259 Old 10-23-2005, 01:25 PM

Has anybody experience pausing the unit then after a minute or
so press rewind and the screen is still paused while the audio is
playing from where it was rewined? The only way to get to back
to normal is to change channels.

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #925 of 29259 Old 10-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

ABC often plays games with the start/stop times of popular prime time shows, they can often run a minute or two long or short. I've seen it with Commander in Chief, Lost, Alias, Desperate Housewives, etc. NBC used to do it occasionally for a few shows last season (ER), dunno if they still do. For those setting up regular/weekly recordings, perhaps TVGOS is deciding that regular/weekly schedules don't match what's in the guide because the times don't always exactly match up from week to week.
post #926 of 29259 Old 10-23-2005, 02:53 PM

The unit and tvgos have no idea when a show "changes," they simply know that at 10pm on Thursdays ER is on. The unit doesn't care if ER starts 1 min early, it will just start taping at 10 pm. That would in no way cause the unit to skip recordings. The unit specifically gives a "begin recording X mins early or late" option.
post #927 of 29259 Old 10-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaster View Post

Rob:

I'm using a DHG-HDD250 for OTA HD recording. Several of the "lesser" digital
stations were missing from my TVGOS as well. I found that if I took an unsued
entry, say a digital channel in another language or one that was too weak to
actually use or the analogue equivalent channel (probably the best choice),
and edit the entry, I could get proper listings for the missing channel. In my
area, analogue 23 is digital 26-2, so I editted the 23 entry to change the
channel number to 26-2 and everything works perfectly.

Thanks dmaster

I didn't realize I could edit the channel #. Your suggestion fixed my problem. Thanks also to Rammitinski, but I don't need the phone # anymore.

I have a Dishnetwork 921 also. It gives an estimate of recording time remaining anytime you go to the recorded events screen. Does anyone know if the Sony can give an estimate of time remaining? I have over 50 hours of HD recorded so far, so I may be getting close to the limit.
post #928 of 29259 Old 10-24-2005, 11:57 AM

Well everything has been going great, but it looks like my host channel has stopped transmitting the TVGOS data since at least Saturday. I was away most of last week and got back to find the "Guide data is unavailable for 24 hours due to system setup change" message. I went into the 9012 service menu on the channel that was transmitting the TVGOS data and it says VBI test failed and no packets are being received OTA. I sent an email to WETA (Washington DC PBS Channel 26) to see if they are aware, but I've not heard back yet. Anyone else in the DC area? I tried going to MPT which is Maryland PBS on channel 22, but for some reason even though it shows it's sending VBI packets it's not updating the guide or the clock at all.
post #929 of 29259 Old 10-24-2005, 03:45 PM

Same problem here, NYC with Time Warner Cable.

Lost TVGOS on both my Sony DVR and Panasonic TV.

Called TWC they tell you to call TVGOS.

Opened a ticket with Panasonic since they have better support than Sony, they took down some TVGUIDE info from debug and opened a ticket with TVGOS ... now waiting for a call from TVGOS

Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlogan View Post

Well everything has been going great, but it looks like my host channel has stopped transmitting the TVGOS data since at least Saturday. I was away most of last week and got back to find the "Guide data is unavailable for 24 hours due to system setup change" message. I went into the 9012 service menu on the channel that was transmitting the TVGOS data and it says VBI test failed and no packets are being received OTA. I sent an email to WETA (Washington DC PBS Channel 26) to see if they are aware, but I've not heard back yet. Anyone else in the DC area? I tried going to MPT which is Maryland PBS on channel 22, but for some reason even though it shows it's sending VBI packets it's not updating the guide or the clock at all.

post #930 of 29259 Old 10-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamweb View Post

Same problem here, NYC with Time Warner Cable.

Lost TVGOS on both my Sony DVR and Panasonic TV.

Called TWC they tell you to call TVGOS.

Opened a ticket with Panasonic since they have better support than Sony, they took down some TVGUIDE info from debug and opened a ticket with TVGOS ... now waiting for a call from TVGOS

Sal

I just got home from work and still no guide data or correct time. However I don't think my antenna was positioned correctly today before i went to work. The reception was terrible. So I aimed the antenna and went into the 'Menu' 'Format' "9012' service menu and G*Test and it showed Pass this time and packets were being received. So hopefully I'll have guide data starting tomorrow. Maybe the email I sent to the PBS station made them aware of it. I suggest trying to G*Test to see if your packets are being received. Go to the channel where you receive your TVGOS data. Hit the Menu key on the Sony remote, then the Format key, then type in 9012. It'll take you to a series of menus. Pick the last one, then select G*test. You'll see a colorblock, some tests on the left, and if data is being transmitted you'll see the packets increase. This is how I aim my antenna every night before bed so I make sure I am receiving good packets and not bad packets.

My clock just set :-) I'm back on track to the listings! Hooray.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page