Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 382 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Member
 
EdwinC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1938 View Post

The guide is currently transmitted by pbs channel 28, which is TW cable channel 3 in Los Angeles. That channel failed the VBI test. However, subsequently I found that TW also outputs channel 28 on a high numbered channel. I suggest you find that channel and perform a VBI test. If it passes, you can tune to that channel before putting the unit in standby.
HD channels have weird numbers, which you can edit into the guide. However, I suggest you call TW since they may give you a free card, and charge you a nominal fee to install it. After it is installed, the HD channel numbers are in the 400's.
Both of my units currently get the guide OTA.
Ray

Thanks Ray, Pardon me for being ignorant, but if you are getting your TVGOS via OTA how do you sync this with the cable channels? I was going to hook up to OTA to get the right time, and the try doing manual recordings, but are you saying that I can "map" the TVGOS to the right cable channel using the channel editor? I also noticed previous recordings done through OTA seem clearer than the "live cable feed", is this just my imagination or is OTA better. If this is the case, I might as well go OTA for everything, I just have to shell out $85.00 to get my Antenna from my old house and put it up in the apartment complex, which has a lot of restrictions, i.e. Antenna should not be attached to the structure, etc. etc. Thanks Again!
EdwinC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2008, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinC View Post

Thanks Ray, Pardon me for being ignorant, but if you are getting your TVGOS via OTA how do you sync this with the cable channels?

I told you in the last post that the TVGOS stream is independent of the method it is sent via (OTA/CABLE). From OTA antenna you can get all the local Cable channel lineups sent over the TVGOS information stream. No mapping is required for 90% of the channels (some times cable companies add new channels then you just map them).
WhatHappend is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
dlhoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any updates on the prospect of using an STB to convert an ATSC host channel to analog for feeding TVGOS to the DHG-HDD units? It was talked about a while back and I just did a search to no avail. Anyone have any news on this subject?

I believe the last we heard was that there were no converters available yet that preserves the TVGOS data during the D/A conversion process. Is that right?

By the way, thanks to all of you guys for sharing the info here. I'm optimistic we'll have some kind of solution for the analog cut-off.


Thanks,
Dave
dlhoppe is offline  
Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ray1938's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinC View Post

Thanks Ray, Pardon me for being ignorant, but if you are getting your TVGOS via OTA how do you sync this with the cable channels? I was going to hook up to OTA to get the right time, and the try doing manual recordings, but are you saying that I can "map" the TVGOS to the right cable channel using the channel editor? I also noticed previous recordings done through OTA seem clearer than the "live cable feed", is this just my imagination or is OTA better. If this is the case, I might as well go OTA for everything, I just have to shell out $85.00 to get my Antenna from my old house and put it up in the apartment complex, which has a lot of restrictions, i.e. Antenna should not be attached to the structure, etc. etc. Thanks Again!

You get both cable and ota listings either by cable or ota but you have to specify your cable service in the setup to see them. I haven't noticed any difference between cable and ota on HD programs. I have both listed in my guide in case the cable goes down. I subscribe to cable since not all cable channels are available ota. You probably didn't need to move your antenna since a small indoor uhf device is probably ok.
Ray
Ray1938 is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
 
dlhoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I've been following this thread for quite some time. I've read that after a reboot, these units will revert back to the Gemstar version that came with the factory firmware (analog operation only). In this scenario, the only way they can get back to the downloadable version that enables TVGOS data reception from ATSC broadcasts is via analog VBI carrying the newer Gemstar software version. As I understand it, a reboot without analog broadcasted Gemstar updates will render the TVGOS in these units unusable.

Maybe I should have stated the point of my question more clearly. If we're not able to get a firmware update to solve the problem of rebooting after the analog shutdown, will we be able to use a converter box as an alternative?

So, my question still stands. Does anyone know of any successful experiments using a converter box to feed the DHG units from an ATSC source?


Thanks,
Dave
dlhoppe is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post

Yes, I've been following this thread for quite some time. I've read that after a reboot, these units will revert back to the Gemstar version that came with the factory firmware (analog operation only). In this scenario, the only way they can get back to the downloadable version that enables TVGOS data reception from ATSC broadcasts is via analog VBI carrying the newer Gemstar software version. As I understand it, a reboot without analog broadcasted Gemstar updates will render the TVGOS in these units unusable.

Maybe I should have stated the point of my question more clearly. If we're not able to get a firmware update to solve the problem of rebooting after the analog shutdown, will we be able to use a converter box as an alternative?

So, my question still stands. Does anyone know of any successful experiments using a converter box to feed the DHG units from an ATSC source?


Thanks,
Dave

That part is not true and only speculation. When my unit reverted to a real old version of TVGOS it still read the ATSC and even updated to the latest 8.06.44 version from a ATSC channel. Now the unit is far from perfect while using a digital channels for G* information. For one thing if you enter the Diagnostic screen after a G* factory test the VBI channel will be a strange number as well as the clock set channel. Those are probably the bugs that G* has fixed in the newest yet to be released version of guide software. But the basics of guide download and G* software loading appears to function. This would be expected since the G* software on these units has had the ATSC slicer diag screen from the beginning.

And also your understanding of REBOOT is wrong. You would have to go into a special mode to wipe out the Software back to factory load. Power removal or front panel reset don't change G* software.
WhatHappend is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
dlhoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for taking the time to "straightening me out" on that. Excellent synopsis!
dlhoppe is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Newbie
 
REWAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My previous tests on what I like to call my 'virtual host-channel' were predicated on the fact that a host channel has already been established. This test only verified clock changes. The clock could be skewed to a different time based on a VCR recording.

This test was repeated after a 'cold' boot of the Sony hdd250. This removed all channel listings and lineup data (as expected). The 753159258 diagnosic menu also indacted that no host channel was designated. I also removed my antenna so as not to allow the system to acquire the 'true' host channel.

The G* factor test was performed on the 'virtual' host channel and passed. However, since no host channel was present, the clock never got updated. I tried to force the 'host-channel' throught the 147896325 diagnostic code. Typically this takes about 5 minutes to complete. I left it on for over 10 minutes and it never completed. I aborted the diagnostic menu and shut off the Sony (hoping this would allow it to aquire my 'virtual' host. After about 30 minutes of down time the clock was still reading as --:-- and no host channel was acquired.

It seems that the proper acquisition of a host channel is essential to uploading data to the Sony. It's not looking as good as I had hoped. I will perform some further tests to try to gather more info.
REWAT is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post

Maybe I should have stated the point of my question more clearly. If we're not able to get a firmware update to solve the problem of rebooting after the analog shutdown, will we be able to use a converter box as an alternative?

Even though the Echostar ATSC tuner itself will be only be SD (as all the CECB boxes will), it's being said that it will convert the digital TVGOS data to analog through the RF, and will keep all the old guides usable. Whether that actually turns out to be true or not, we won't know for a few months, but we're all waiting.
Rammitinski is offline  
Old 03-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Newbie
 
Wirefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox200 View Post

This may have been discussed before, but, I had Bones and Justice red dotted to record and it disappeared. Is this a broadcast flag, TVGOS, or Sony issue?

fox

I had this same exact issue with the Scientific Atlanta Cablecard and DHG-HDD250. Comcast blamed Sony and vice versa. I tried updating the firmware to v1.2.13 to no avail.

You must have the copy authorization in order to record the decrypted streams. Whatever I tried or Comcast tried as far as "hitting" the card could not fix this menu option: Preferences > System > CableCARD > SA CableCARD CP Screen > Auth Status : Waiting for CP Auth

It was a Scientific Atlanta problem. As soon as we replaced the newer PKM800 model card with the older PKM600 model, I was good to go. Now I have Auth Status: CP Auth Received

Forget Tivo. This Sony DVR rocks. Many Thanks for the excellent input from this forum and SpiffSpace!

WFX

The Alexandria, VA TVGOS VBI channel is 92 WETA btw.
Wirefox is offline  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
 
teeitup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

I called KHOU engineering today. They will be carrying the TVGOS data on their ATSC channel but it probably won't be until after all the O&O get it up and runnning.

-phil

For anyone in the Seattle area, I contacted the local CBS affiliate (KIRO) and asked if TVGOS data is being sent yet over the ATSC channel (7.1). Their response was not yet, but prior to analog cutoff.
teeitup is online now  
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Member
 
EdwinC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1938 View Post

You get both cable and ota listings either by cable or ota but you have to specify your cable service in the setup to see them. I haven't noticed any difference between cable and ota on HD programs. I have both listed in my guide in case the cable goes down. I subscribe to cable since not all cable channels are available ota. You probably didn't need to move your antenna since a small indoor uhf device is probably ok.
Ray

I did what you suggested and hooked up an indoor antenna to my dhg 250, the guide did load, unfortunately the HD channels was not showing on the cable line up, I had to use the channel editor to re-direct/map the HD channel i.e. 94.503 to the analog cable listing, l then moved this up the channel display. Now I can use the guide to set recordings again. Thank you and thank you Sony for having the fore sight of redirecting channels, otherwise this would not have been possible.
EdwinC is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ray1938's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinC View Post

I did what you suggested and hooked up an indoor antenna to my dhg 250, the guide did load, unfortunately the HD channels was not showing on the cable line up, I had to use the channel editor to re-direct/map the HD channel i.e. 94.503 to the analog cable listing, l then moved this up the channel display. Now I can use the guide to set recordings again. Thank you and thank you Sony for having the fore sight of redirecting channels, otherwise this would not have been possible.

The listing should included HD channels with correct channel numbers if a cable card is installed. Without that card, channel numbers must be edited in, as you did. Perhaps you chose the wrong cable company option in setup. I suggest you revisit that setup. Also, I suggest investigate the cost of a cable card. According to recent call with TW, cost is only $1.75 per month and you can install it yourself. In my area, without that card you can't get any of the cable channels only OTA.

Ray
Ray1938 is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Member
 
dspadoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post

I had this same exact issue with the Scientific Atlanta Cablecard and DHG-HDD250. Comcast blamed Sony and vice versa. I tried updating the firmware to v1.2.13 to no avail.

You must have the copy authorization in order to record the decrypted streams. Whatever I tried or Comcast tried as far as "hitting" the card could not fix this menu option: Preferences > System > CableCARD > SA CableCARD CP Screen > Auth Status : Waiting for CP Auth

It was a Scientific Atlanta problem. As soon as we replaced the newer PKM800 model card with the older PKM600 model, I was good to go. Now I have Auth Status: CP Auth Received

Forget Tivo. This Sony DVR rocks. Many Thanks for the excellent input from this forum and SpiffSpace!

WFX

The Alexandria, VA TVGOS VBI channel is 92 WETA btw.

Interesting and Odd: I had the exact opposite experience with the SA cards (although I got the same song & dance of Comcast & Sony blaming each other). With the original S-card (blue), I couldn't get all subscribed channels and got the "not authorized to record" problem; tried several S-cards - no go. Switched to the new M-card (green) and all problems went away. Go figure.
dspadoni is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 01:06 PM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I downloaded the firmware update files from page 315 and loaded them onto a FAT formatted Dell 64Mb USB drive. I re-named the drive label to SONYHDD500, according to the instructions in SpiffSpace It did not take on my 1.12.05 firmware unit, even after unplugging and re-booting it.

How do I tell which type of FAT formatting I have? Windows XP only says FAT, nothing else.

Thanks.

Mark
giomania is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
colofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: loveland,co
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I lost guide data a while back and since I really wanted to go OTA anyway I tried to change. It has been three days and I don't even have a clock running.

I went over to spiffspace and read through the FAQ again but nothing about forcing it to do a channel surf.....Any new information on being able to do this?
colofan is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
frank70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by colofan View Post

I lost guide data a while back and since I really wanted to go OTA anyway I tried to change. It has been three days and I don't even have a clock running.

I went over to spiffspace and read through the FAQ again but nothing about forcing it to do a channel surf.....Any new information on being able to do this?

Assuming you know your OTA host channel, see section 2.2.2 under "VBI Search Current Channel". It worked fine for me. Otherwise, the more radical method in "TV Guide" - "Reset to Factory Defaults" in 1.2.16 can be used (caution - NOT "Reset Factory Default" at the top level of this service menu, which will really REALLY wipe things), which will channel surf, but it seems to take much longer than the method in 2.2.2 to latch onto the host channel. Using the 2.2.2 method, I believe I had the clock back within the hour and a download that night.
frank70 is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Member
 
toy4two2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I was reading reviews on this unit on Amazon because I am thinking of returning my TIVO HD for it (because TIVO's QAM recording is crippled). I came across this, is there any truth this is why SONY discontinued this unit, does it not obey Copy Never tags, if so, I'm definetly getting one, TIVO obeys that and I don't see any hacks around it like the original TIVO hacking dream machine S1s:

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest HD DVR can be found!, February 17, 2006
By Home Theater Reviewer - See all my reviews
Sony just discontinued these units afraid of going to court for 'encouraging' HiDef recordings of broadcast programmings.
toy4two2 is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spiff72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two2 View Post

Hey guys, I was reading reviews on this unit on Amazon because I am thinking of returning my TIVO HD for it (because TIVO's QAM recording is crippled). I came across this, is there any truth this is why SONY discontinued this unit, does it not obey Copy Never tags, if so, I'm definetly getting one, TIVO obeys that and I don't see any hacks around it like the original TIVO hacking dream machine S1s:

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest HD DVR can be found!, February 17, 2006
By Home Theater Reviewer - See all my reviews
Sony just discontinued these units afraid of going to court for 'encouraging' HiDef recordings of broadcast programmings.


I have seen the Sony refuse to record a program on a Premium channel - but I think it was a glitch with my cable system. I don't think the statement about not obeying copy never tags is accurate.
spiff72 is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ray1938's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two2 View Post

Hey guys, I was reading reviews on this unit on Amazon because I am thinking of returning my TIVO HD for it (because TIVO's QAM recording is crippled). I came across this, is there any truth this is why SONY discontinued this unit, does it not obey Copy Never tags, if so, I'm definetly getting one, TIVO obeys that and I don't see any hacks around it like the original TIVO hacking dream machine S1s:

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest HD DVR can be found!, February 17, 2006
By Home Theater Reviewer - See all my reviews
Sony just discontinued these units afraid of going to court for 'encouraging' HiDef recordings of broadcast programmings.

Recording HDTV is the primary use of this recorder and I've recorded HBO and Showtime movies but mostly TV shows.
However, I also own a Toshiba non-hd DVR with DVD burner, and it will only record HBO and Showtime movies to the hard drive. Also, there is a symbol on the recording icon indicating that the recording can't be duplicated.

Ray
Ray1938 is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Newbie
 
Wirefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My elation with getting the SA cable card (older model PKM600) working was premature. I can decrypt channels only for a few hours before I get the 161-6 error.

A hard reboot clears the problem, but just temporarily. The soft reboot (TV guide and Exit keys) doesn't help at all. Sony says it's an electrical problem, and I need to ship the unit to PA for service.

so .... I guess we'll see what life is like without an HD DVR. I'm pissed off, but I still refuse to go Tivo.

WFX
Wirefox is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post

My elation with getting the SA cable card (older model PKM600) working was premature. I can decrypt channels only for a few hours before I get the 161-6 error.

A hard reboot clears the problem, but just temporarily. The soft reboot (TV guide and Exit keys) doesn't help at all. Sony says it's an electrical problem, and I need to ship the unit to PA for service.

so .... I guess we'll see what life is like without an HD DVR. I'm pissed off, but I still refuse to go Tivo.

WFX

I believe there was a known software problem
between the DHG and the SA cards. Have you
done the FW update. I believe that was one of
the reasons for the update to fix the SA problem.

Of course I could be WRONG.

But what I can say as an owner of 6 Sony
DVRs - the Sony Service Center is great.
drhankz is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
jmonier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post

My elation with getting the SA cable card (older model PKM600) working was premature. I can decrypt channels only for a few hours before I get the 161-6 error.

A hard reboot clears the problem, but just temporarily. The soft reboot (TV guide and Exit keys) doesn't help at all. Sony says it's an electrical problem, and I need to ship the unit to PA for service.

so .... I guess we'll see what life is like without an HD DVR. I'm pissed off, but I still refuse to go Tivo.

WFX

Fixing it definitely requires a hardware modification and the only place they do that is PA.
jmonier is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post

Fixing it definitely requires a hardware modification and the only place they do that is PA.

OH YES - I remember that fact now.

I'm glad I have MOTO Cable Cards
drhankz is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 AM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I downloaded the firmware update files from page 315 and loaded them onto a FAT formatted Dell 64Mb USB drive. I re-named the drive label to SONYHDD500, according to the instructions in SpiffSpace It did not take on my 1.12.05 firmware unit, even after unplugging and re-booting it.

How do I tell which type of FAT formatting I have? Windows XP only says FAT, nothing else.

Thanks.

Mark

I re-formatted the USB drive above using FAT32, but the update still did not work. Any ideas on what else to try?

Thanks.

Mark
giomania is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I re-formatted the USB drive above using FAT32, but the update still did not work. Any ideas on what else to try?

Thanks.

Mark


Not all USB drives are compatible. Did you put the files on the drive the exact way described? If so, then you will have to try a different USB drive. Can you borrow one from some one?
WhatHappend is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Member
 
dspadoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I downloaded the firmware update files from page 315 and loaded them onto a FAT formatted Dell 64Mb USB drive. I re-named the drive label to SONYHDD500, according to the instructions in SpiffSpace It did not take on my 1.12.05 firmware unit, even after unplugging and re-booting it.

How do I tell which type of FAT formatting I have? Windows XP only says FAT, nothing else.

Thanks.

Mark

I had the exact same problem with a Dell 64Mb USB drive, same as yours. I bought a 2Gb USB drive, formatted it as FAT (not FAT32; if a drive is FAT32, that should be stated in the drive properties dialog when you right-click the drive icon), and that worked perfectly (apparently, size matters ). You should either borrow one or buy one; they're not expensive - I got a PNY brand for about 35 bucks. Just make certain you follow the instructions for labeling the drive, etc.
dspadoni is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Member
 
washerebefore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why does Sony Charge for a Fix that is a known Problem with the recorded.

I've been putting up with the 161-6 error for months and only get some channels.

What is the electronic fix?

Does anybody know what that fix is?

My recorded had that can't watch while recording problem but the USB update seem to take care of that.

But my cable company wants me to give back the CC for free use of Cable box non-DVR for a year.
If it was a DVR I'd do it in a sec and sell my Sony.
washerebefore is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I downloaded the firmware update files from page 315 and loaded them onto a FAT formatted Dell 64Mb USB drive. I re-named the drive label to SONYHDD500, according to the instructions in SpiffSpace It did not take on my 1.12.05 firmware unit, even after unplugging and re-booting it.

How do I tell which type of FAT formatting I have? Windows XP only says FAT, nothing else.

Thanks.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I re-formatted the USB drive above using FAT32, but the update still did not work. Any ideas on what else to try?

Thanks.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Not all USB drives are compatible. Did you put the files on the drive the exact way described? If so, then you will have to try a different USB drive. Can you borrow one from some one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspadoni View Post

I had the exact same problem with a Dell 64Mb USB drive, same as yours. I bought a 2Gb USB drive, formatted it as FAT (not FAT32; if a drive is FAT32, that should be stated in the drive properties dialog when you right-click the drive icon), and that worked perfectly (apparently, size matters ). You should either borrow one or buy one; they're not expensive - I got a PNY brand for about 35 bucks. Just make certain you follow the instructions for labeling the drive, etc.

I used a Sandisk Cruzer 512Mb USB drive I have, and it worked. The drive was formatted as FAT, so I left it at that.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark
giomania is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ray1938's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by washerebefore View Post

Why does Sony Charge for a Fix that is a known Problem with the recorded.

I've been putting up with the 161-6 error for months and only get some channels.

What is the electronic fix?

Does anybody know what that fix is?

My recorded had that can't watch while recording problem but the USB update seem to take care of that.

But my cable company wants me to give back the CC for free use of Cable box non-DVR for a year.
If it was a DVR I'd do it in a sec and sell my Sony.

I have two Sonys and cable company recorder and much prefer the Sony for recording commercial tv since with the cc box you can't jump forward in time. Also, the Sony stores more programs.

Ray

Ray
Ray1938 is offline  
 

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off