post #11941 of 29263 Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
intowin says: For a week now I have had no clock and no data
Tried all the fixes in the search menu under this forum.

Restored factory defaults and still nothing. Even tried forcing my host channel. When I do the 753 doey thing under system settings no host channel is listed. When I do a vbi test it says 13 is passing. So I force 13 but still nothing.

Can a channel pass vbi and not be broadcasting the gemstar tvgos?

Any help is appreciated.

I've had this situation crop up twice in the past few months. Most recently when I returned from vacation a week ago. Using OTA WETA 26 for guide in the DC area. I tried all the resets and such and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting clock/guide data. An 'obscure' fix that isn't mentioned here very often is to reconfigure your TVGuide setup with zip code 00000. Then reconfigure again to your proper zip code. This seems to clear out the TVGOS data/config properly. One reason I've heard suggested that may cause the issue is the addition of channels to the lineup. Good luck.

Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11942 of 29263 Old 07-07-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

UPDATE 3:
My DHG-HDD500 has now been receiving TVGOS data from the local CBS digital channel for 24 straight days. Since this has been a success I think I'll try a VBI Search Host Channel test on my DHG-HDD250 which has been getting guide data from the analog PBS channel. Hopefully that will also use the CBS digital channel for TVGOS data from now on.

Lots of luck on that, Phil. I've tried both VBI Search Current Channel and VBI Quick Search Cur Channel on my (definitely broadcasting TVGOS) CBS digital channel with no success in getting the Host Chan to change.
post #11943 of 29263 Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

An 'obscure' fix that isn't mentioned here very often is to reconfigure your TVGuide setup with zip code 00000. Then reconfigure again to your proper zip code. This seems to clear out the TVGOS data/config properly.

it's not that obscure. They even tell you how to do it right on the TVGOS grid if you move the cursor to the left to bring it up.
post #11944 of 29263 Old 07-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Liked: 10
Both my LG and Sony DVR's haven't been able to find the host channel for TVGOS in Atlanta (WGTV) since July 2nd. Anynone else in the Atlanta area experiencing the same problem? I've left a message for the station engineer but don't know what else to do verify that it's even being broadcast...
post #11945 of 29263 Old 07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalav8b View Post

Both my LG and Sony DVR's haven't been able to find the host channel for TVGOS in Atlanta (WGTV) since July 2nd. Anynone else in the Atlanta area experiencing the same problem? I've left a message for the station engineer but don't know what else to do verify that it's even being broadcast...

I assume you are still RECEIVING picture, etc from the station; in that case, you've done the right thing...if you don't get a response, CALL them - oops, maybe that's the kind of message you left...anyway, most engineering people are happy to respond...

on the other hand, if there's a REAL problem, or if they've been having some sort of major switchover of channels, like our local PBS stations, they may be in over their heads for a bit...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #11946 of 29263 Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Yes, picture and audio has been fine. Didn't know if something major is changing in the Atlanta area? Hope the engineer calls me back. I reset my TV Guide on the LG unit using the "00000" for the zip code. I'll check tomorrow AM if that did anything.
post #11947 of 29263 Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM

I have an HDD-250 and have lost the clock and channel settings. This apparently happened in June while I was on vacation. I'm just now getting around to trying to fix things but I there has been no clock or guide data since at least June 14th. In the past, when settings were lost, the clock always came back within a few minutes and the guide data has never been missing more than a week.

When I check the host channel, it is blank. I don't know what host channel was used in the past and the chart on Spiff's page doesn't have my area (Rock Hill, SC - close to Charlotte, NC) listed. The VBI host was listed as 1:59-11 (before I ran G* test). Now, it says fffffffd. In the G* test, I tried several different analog PBS stations (OTA and cable) as well as the digital CBS station (WBTV 59.12 on Comporium cable system) and the channel that was previously listed as the VBI, 59.11, and they all fail the VBI test. Given this how does one find a host channel?

I'm not very astute when it comes to troubleshooting this DVR. I've tried some of the settings from Spiff's FAQ's but not sure what to do. I did the steps to force the VBI channel to use the digital CBS station and will let it sit overnight but, considering there is still no clock nearly half an hour after the force, I'm not optimistic.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
post #11948 of 29263 Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR_Newbie View Post

I'm not very astute when it comes to troubleshooting this DVR. I've tried some of the settings from Spiff's FAQ's but not sure what to do. I did the steps to force the VBI channel to use the digital CBS station and will let it sit overnight but, considering there is still no clock nearly half an hour after the force, I'm not optimistic.

Run the G* test on each and every OTA channel. If none are showing VBI packet updates, sounds like a problem at the station. You'll need to find someone in the area who is still getting it, or who knows what the host was prior to the problem. That'll require a little searching on avsforum and elsewhere. For starters, try this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14134403

If somebody else can point you to the host channel, and IS still receiving guide data for him/her, yet your G* test shows nothing on the same channel, it's probably time for a reset (they come in various strengths right on down to a factory reset.) I'd try a TVGOS reset (from the 9012 menu, TV Guide submenu) first; it's fairly non-destructive - if you do start working you'll just have to re-order your channels again.

OTOH, if you find someone else with the same problem, time to call the station.
post #11949 of 29263 Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Run the G* test on each and every OTA channel. If none are showing VBI packet updates, sounds like a problem at the station. You'll need to find someone in the area who is still getting it, or who knows what the host was prior to the problem. That'll require a little searching on avsforum and elsewhere. For starters, try this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14134403

If somebody else can point you to the host channel, and IS still receiving guide data for him/her, yet your G* test shows nothing on the same channel, it's probably time for a reset (they come in various strengths right on down to a factory reset.) I'd try a TVGOS reset (from the 9012 menu, TV Guide submenu) first; it's fairly non-destructive - if you do start working you'll just have to re-order your channels again.

OTOH, if you find someone else with the same problem, time to call the station.

OK, thanks. Looks like I'll have to enable some of the OTA channels and do some extensive testing. In the past, I've just used the HD channels from cable except for the PBS HD which is OTA.

BTW, as expected, the forced host channel on the digital CBS station did not work.

Thanks, again!
post #11950 of 29263 Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, picture and audio has been fine. Didn't know if something major is changing in the Atlanta area? Hope the engineer calls me back. I reset my TV Guide on the LG unit using the "00000" for the zip code. I'll check tomorrow AM if that did anything.

I'm south of town and use PBS 8 for my VBI host at last check. Things are OK on my end, so I don't think it's a signal issue.

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #11951 of 29263 Old 07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR_Newbie View Post

When I check the host channel, it is blank. I don't know what host channel was used in the past and the chart on Spiff's page doesn't have my area (Rock Hill, SC - close to Charlotte, NC) listed.

Spiff's page lists WSOC (OTA channel 9, ABC) as the host channel for Charlotte. Over where I am, the host channel is the SCETV (PBS) station in Greenville, so you might also try the one in Rock Hill (WNSC ch 30).
post #11952 of 29263 Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I know we're pretty confident now that the Sony boxes will latch onto CBS digital TVGOS signals after Feb '09, but returning to an old issue for a moment:

There had been a fantasy somewhere in this thread that any/every CECB would be required to pass all VBI data, be it closed caption, TVGOS, or something else when converting digital VBI (however that's encoded in the PSIP) to analog VBI (bits encoded on the luminance of various NTSC VBI lines.)

Let me unequivocally lay that to rest - at least one box, my Tivax STB-T9, does convert VBI closed caption data, but DOES NOT convert VBI TVGOS data. I used my Sony DHG-HDD250 to test this, as follows:

First, I tuned my Sony to KYW-DT (OTA CBS station in Philly), and ran the G* test. Results were positive for presence of VBI packets, one or more per second. Same was true when I tuned the Sony to WHYY analog (OTA PBS station in Philly and my normal analog host channel.)

Then, I disconnected my antenna wire from the Sony antenna input and connected it to the Tivax box. Set the Tivax box to output on channel 3 analog. Connected the RF output from the Tivax box to the Sony antenna input. Turned on the Tivax box and tuned it to KYW-DT (3.1). Turned on the Sony box and tuned it to OTA analog 3. Nice picture and sound from KYW-DT (SD quality of course, but decent). Ran the G* test. NO TVGOS VBI packets were being received.

The Sony is able to decode and display the basic closed captions in this mode, so the Tivax is passing them through on VBI, but NOT the TVGOS data. So here is a single counter-example that blows the myth that ALL CECBs will convert TVGOS VBI data. I don't have my hands on a DTVPal yet (and may not for quite some time while Dish is off fixing known bugs - see here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14239691 ), so can't speak for that. Some other CECBs may, but this one surely doesn't.

It's a simple enough test, so maybe some of you with other CECBs in hand and a working CBS TVGOS digital station nearby (as can be confirmed by the first step above), can go through the same motions and see what CECBs (if any) provide this pass-thru, if not for us, then for the benefit of owners of the LG DVRs or TVGOS analog-only recorders. You see, though our Sony's probably don't have an issue with the digital transition, they provide the perfect test tool, since they give instant feedback on the presence/absence of TVGOS VBI packets.
post #11953 of 29263 Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried a cruder test with my LG3410a and a Digital Stream 9950, which turned out to be inconclusive (cf http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14239368)

As noted there, enough signal filtered through the cecb from my PBS analog station (despite the fact that the cecb was set to convert the CBS digital signal - and indeed DID provide a nice analog version through channel 3) that my 3410a succeeded in finding some TVGOS data from the PBS station, so that this did not test whether the converted CBS signal carried TVGOS data - ugh!

I haven't been spending time playing with my Sony, because - from this thread - it looks like the Sony will switch itself to the CBS digital source for TVGOS data, when the PBS analog source dries up.

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #11954 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM

I have been following this tread for a while now and my DHG-HDD500 has been working without a hitch. One thing I have never seen addressed is the guide supporting channels or subchannels with 4 digits. Comcast has moved most of the digital channels to 4 digit subchannels and I can no longer configure them in the guide. Is my only choice to get a cable-card so that the channels would get mapped to the "regular" 3 digit channel number?

-Jeremy A. Moore
post #11955 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Oh, that's been addressed in this thread plenty, if you really search back a bit.

But with 400 pages to search through I can't say I blame you for not wanting to do so.
post #11956 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM

I can not find anyone selling a new Sony DHG-HDD250 or 500. Had this product be discontinued?
post #11957 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I ran into that problem with cablecard and my cable provider. many of the HD channels were 'switched' and not receivable with cablecard. All of the local cable HD channels are in the 1600# range and so I could not remap them either. I gave up and am just as happy with antenna and QAM HD tuning thru the HDD500. I will not go back to more cable services until the HDD500 dies or is not useable and/or the upcoming digital encryption tuners are built-into equipment you can buy so you don't need to rent cable co equipment.
post #11958 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySoft View Post

I can not find anyone selling a new Sony DHG-HDD250 or 500. Had this product be discontinued?

In 2006 I believe.
post #11959 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Oh, that's been addressed in this thread plenty, if you really search back a bit.

But with 400 pages to search through I can't say I blame you for not wanting to do so.

No need to search, I have read them all. Just my memory fails me sometimes and I may have missed the one page that talked about it.

I know the 4 digit limit has been talked about (I believe it is in the FAQ and that it was still limited to less than channel 1024 - a 10-bit number?) I just do not remember there being any "tricks" other than possibly using a cable card so that the channels get remapped. Do other (newer maybe) TVGOS devices have this fixed (yet)?

I am just tired of having my recordings all listed under "unknown" because the channel is not in the guide.

It also looks like locally comcast is starting to add the basic analog channels to the free digital channels. No doubt planning to go all digital at some point. So far those channels are 2-digit.3-digit format.

-Jeremy A. Moore
post #11960 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM

I've been out of the loop for a long time here. I need to ask - are we going to need converter boxes with an analog pass-thru after 21/2009 or have you guys figured out that our HDD250/500 machines will get TVGOS data without one?

Thanks in advance, Lyca
p.sp I started searching the forum to find the answer (a needle in the haystack) but thought one of you would readily know the answer - Thanks

Lyca
post #11961 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkiewalker View Post

In 2006 I believe.

Sony discontinued these units in late November or in December 2005. If you browse posts during this period you can probably pin down the date. I bought my 250 the week before Thanksgiving 2005, and they were discontinued shortly afterward. In February 2006 the Tweeter chain had a blowout clearance sale on the 500's at $250 each, which stimulated a lot of frenzied activity here. (That blowout is how I happened to end up with both a 250 and a 500. )
post #11962 of 29263 Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyca View Post

have you guys figured out that our HDD250/500 machines will get TVGOS data without one?

Yes, provided you have a host channel in your area that carries the ATSC version of TVGOS. Scan the past month or so of postings for experiments that show this. Only a handful or two of cities have this now, but hopefully coverage will be mostly complete by next February.
post #11963 of 29263 Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

PhilB or WhatHappend... exactly what is the sequence you used for switching the host channel to your local CBS digital channel? My analog host channel is 12, and my digital host channel is 3.1. Both have passed the G* test. I have tried TVGOS Setup codes 963214785 (VBI Search Current Channel in the INFO box), 987789987 (VBI Quick Search Cur Channel in the INFO box), and 369874125 (??? - no change in the INFO box). Under all circumstances, my host channel either stays at 12, or goes blank (only to return to 12 once the box has

frank70,

Last night I attempted to force my second DHG unit to use the local CBS digital channel as TVGOS host channel. Previously my unit had been using the local PBS analog channel.

I turned the unit to 11-1 and ran the 963214785 test. I then turned the unit off over night. This morning the unit reported 0-26 as hos channel (local FOX analog station) which also broadcasts TVGOS.

From this, I conclude that the 963214785 test doesn't force the current channel to be the Host, but instead forces the unit to find a new host channel.

At least I know that in February I won't have this problem (channel 26 goes away) and given my previous sucess with my first DHG I fully expect to get guide data on 11-1.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #11964 of 29263 Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

From this, I conclude that the 963214785 test doesn't force the current channel to be the Host, but instead forces the unit to find a new host channel.

PhilB, thanks for confirming my suspicion (and experience) that there is not really a way to force a particular host channel in the presence of other potential host channels. One has to wonder, though, why the words that come up in the info box when you run this code are "VBI Search Current Channel" if that's not what it means! And yes, I have tried it with the Host Channel readout blank.
post #11965 of 29263 Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I do believe the following to be true even if it does not seem it should be possible:

For two months I recorded The Wild Wild West (TWWW) regularly at 8 am. Several days ago tvgos listings for the program changed to 3 pm for the last day shown but remained at 8 am for the earlier days.

Effective the morning after, there was no recording at 8 am but the same channel was recorded at 3 pm, the recording light striking me as unexpected. The program listed for 3 pm (Perry Mason?) was recorded and entered in the recordings list as TWWW.

This also occurred on the subsequent day. In the schedule list TWWW was shown as recording at 8 am regularly.

I deleted it from the schedule and reestablished it as a regular recording when in listings showing it at 8 am. The next day it recorded properly.

There have been many occasions in the past 2 years where the program recorded was not the program scheduled but this is the first time I have determined what happened.
YMMV.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #11966 of 29263 Old 07-10-2008, 05:31 PM

Quick Update: Wasn't the WGTV Host channel, but one of my three HDD250's was the culprit. All of my units quit receiving TVGOS listings (including a LG) and showed the wrong times, except one Sony that just displayed --:-- continuosly even after several resets, including a TVGOS reset. Once I disconnected this unit, the other units began downloading TVGOS and populated overnight. This evening I did a clear NVM and Zero HDD via the Wipe Unit directions described on spiffspaces page and now it has passed VBI test. Hopefully, tomorrow AM the listings/time will be populated. I would have never suspected one unit could adversely affect the other units, but it definitely prevented the other units from receiving the VBI information.
post #11967 of 29263 Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quick Update: Wasn't the WGTV Host channel, but one of my three HDD250's was the culprit. All of my units quit receiving TVGOS listings (including a LG) and showed the wrong times, except one Sony that just displayed --:-- continuosly even after several resets, including a TVGOS reset. Once I disconnected this unit, the other units began downloading TVGOS and populated overnight. This evening I did a clear NVM and Zero HDD via the Wipe Unit directions described on spiffspaces page and now it has passed VBI test. Hopefully, tomorrow AM the listings/time will be populated. I would have never suspected one unit could adversely affect the other units, but it definitely prevented the other units from receiving the VBI information.

???

post #11968 of 29263 Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there still a market for these boxes? I bought one 2-3 years ago and only used it briefly before buying a TiVo S3 (due to a TiVo special offer). I'm trying to whittle down my ever-growing stack or unused/replaced/upgraded equipment, and would happily sell it if there's still a demand.

Sorry to barge in on your thread, but thanks in advance for any info.
post #11969 of 29263 Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Since they seem to be useful past 2/2009 I'm sure you could find a buyer. Try in the equipment for sale section.

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #11970 of 29263 Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

Since they seem to be useful past 2/2009 I'm sure you could find a buyer. Try in the equipment for sale section.

Thanks, Mike, I'll look into that.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread - m401i-a3 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page