Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 406 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12151 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
jrn23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

I need to go back though, and confirm that even the oldest firmware version of the Sony DVR (1.2.05) works. I think WhatHappnd has this firmware version.

I thought WhatHappend was at 1.2.05 as well. My concern with this box past analog shutoff is that I seem to recall reading that the TVGOS firmware version needed to be at a certain base level for digital TVGOS to be supported. Our units, or mine anyway, base firmware is below the level to support digital TVGOS but gets updated to a supported version at the first TVGOS (analog) download. It is that later version that is running when I forced my host to the cables digital CBS channel. I may have misunderstood this but the big unknown to me is, after analog shutoff, what will happen if I have to reset my box to factory settings and the older default TVGOS. Sorry, can't remember the versions off hand.

And OK troll may have been a bit too harsh. It was just the timing of the post following a post I had just made WRT the usefulness of this thread.
jrn23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12152 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spiff72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

That's good. I've sent a message to markrubin asking that he also add it to the first message of this thread. We'll see what happens.

I sent him a note too, but haven't heard back yet.
spiff72 is offline  
post #12153 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spiff72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn23 View Post

I thought WhatHappend was at 1.2.05 as well. My concern with this box past analog shutoff is that I seem to recall reading that the TVGOS firmware version needed to be at a certain base level for digital TVGOS to be supported. Our units, or mine anyway, base firmware is below the level to support digital TVGOS but gets updated to a supported version at the first TVGOS (analog) download. It is that later version that is running when I forced my host to the cables digital CBS channel. I may have misunderstood this but the big unknown to me is, after analog shutoff, what will happen if I have to reset my box to factory settings and the older default TVGOS. Sorry, can't remember the versions off hand.

And OK troll may have been a bit too harsh. It was just the timing of the post following a post I had just made WRT the usefulness of this thread.

I thought WhatHappend made a post about your concern as well, and noted that the dowloadable firmware update worked via digital too. Again - I need to go back and look.
spiff72 is offline  
post #12154 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
jrn23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

I thought WhatHappend made a post about your concern as well, and noted that the dowloadable firmware update worked via digital too. Again - I need to go back and look.

You are correct, post #12168.
jrn23 is offline  
post #12155 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
AtlantisMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA - OTA Sony DHG-HDD dvrs .21 upgrade on the 250,.05 original for the 500
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello every one. My girlfriend in north Cobb (30189) just had Comcast come out and install cable cards in both the 250 and 500. Then left as they were downloading the channels, Said it would take 40 minutes. Been several hours and nothing. Can not access any channels.
When he got the first card in ( had trouble trying to get it in) it started receiving the guide from the Vinnings headend, but after doing the second dvr, he said oh, I need to set these for the Stone Mountian headend. Then he reset both and left. Of course nothing is working in that none ot the channels are coming up. Can not tune in any of the channels manually and the guide will not be ready for 24 hrs. He did not leave any channel list and when asked what needed to be done, his reply was that it ( the dvr) would tell her once the download was complete.
So does anyone know how to find out what the proper headend is for N. Cobb? She called Comcast and could not get a definitive answer.
Any other suggestions for me to pass along to her?
Thanks, Michael
Found out from my grilfriend that it is northeast Cobb. She found it on the work order, idot tech said it was Stone Mountian. Never bothered to read his own work order.
AtlantisMichael is offline  
post #12156 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Member
 
dspadoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisMichael View Post

Hello every one. My girlfriend in north Cobb (30189) just had Comcast come out and install cable cards in both the 250 and 500. Then left as they were downloading the channels, Said it would take 40 minutes. Been several hours and nothing. Can not access any channels.
When he got the first card in ( had trouble trying to get it in) it started receiving the guide from the Vinnings headend, but after doing the second dvr, he said oh, I need to set these for the Stone Mountian headend. Then he reset both and left. Of course nothing is working in that none ot the channels are coming up. Can not tune in any of the channels manually and the guide will not be ready for 24 hrs. He did not leave any channel list and when asked what needed to be done, his reply was that it ( the dvr) would tell her once the download was complete.
So does anyone know how to find out what the proper headend is for N. Cobb? She called Comcast and could not get a definitive answer.
Any other suggestions for me to pass along to her?
Thanks, Michael

Michael,

It sounds like the cards have not been "authorized" at the headend. Until that happens you won't get anything. You can check this on both DVRs in the Menu -> Preferences -> System screen for Cable Cards. If one of the diagnostic subscreens says something like "waiting for authorization", then that's likely the problem. To authorize the cards, the headend will need the Card ID and Host ID for each unique card/machine combination. You can find these on one of the Card diagnostic screens, too.

It sounds like the installer may have called the Vinnings headend to authorize the card(s), but then did not call Stone Mountain to make the switch before he left. The typical Comcast CSR can't do this for you over the phone; it has to be done by a tech at the headend.

Once each card is authorized, the scan for available digital channels shouldn't take long.

Re: New info: Stone Mountain vs. northeast Cobb - same suggestion.
dspadoni is offline  
post #12157 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Land of Sugar, TX
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn23 View Post

I thought WhatHappend was at 1.2.05 as well. My concern with this box past analog shutoff is that I seem to recall reading that the TVGOS firmware version needed to be at a certain base level for digital TVGOS to be supported. Our units, or mine anyway, base firmware is below the level to support digital TVGOS but gets updated to a supported version at the first TVGOS (analog) download. It is that later version that is running when I forced my host to the cables digital CBS channel. I may have misunderstood this but the big unknown to me is, after analog shutoff, what will happen if I have to reset my box to factory settings and the older default TVGOS. Sorry, can't remember the versions off hand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

I thought WhatHappend made a post about your concern as well, and noted that the dowloadable firmware update worked via digital too. Again - I need to go back and look.

jrn23,

You are correct. The default TVGOS version that is burned into the FLASH on the DHG unit does not support digital guide download (according to a FAQ posted on the TVGOS website). In order to support ATSC download of TVGOS, the DHG has to update it's firmware over the air via one of the nightly TVGOS transmissions - via analog NTSC. After that firmware update has succeeded the DHG then can update TVGOS schedules via digital ATSC. As spiff72 alluded to, the TVGOS firmware can also update via digital at this point.

Where you will have a problem is when you have to do a factory reset after February 17, 2009. In this case the DHG will lose any downloaded firmware and default to the FLASH version. When the unit comes back up there will no longer be an NTSC broadcast to update the firmware from and you DHG is most likely a brick at that point as far as TVGOS goes. The tuner should still work to pause live TV.

One possible solution would be to record your local NTSC TVGOS host onto a VHS or DVD for 24 hours and then play back the recorded stream to your DHG to update the TVGOS firmware. Of course 24 hour VHS tapes are hard to find. If you can get a better idea of when the TVGOS stream is broadcast then that should help reduce how much time you need to record.

Another possibility that I've been sitting on (although I seem to recall someone else mentioning a few months ago) is that Sony will provide a firmware update that we can apply to bring the DHG units up to a more recent TVGOS version. I was told that this would happen a month ago by a Sony CSR. Given that this was first line CSR I'm not holding my breath that it will happen but who knows, we might get lucky.

I suppose there's also the possibility that the DTVPal will live up to the hype and pass the TVGOS signal. You could then use that (in theory) to update the TVGOS firmware. Not holding my breath for this, either.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
PhilB is offline  
post #12158 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spiff72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

jrn23,

Another possibility that I've been sitting on (although I seem to recall someone else mentioning a few months ago) is that Sony will provide a firmware update that we can apply to bring the DHG units up to a more recent TVGOS version. I was told that this would happen a month ago by a Sony CSR. Given that this was first line CSR I'm not holding my breath that it will happen but who knows, we might get lucky.

-phil

I had someone recently email me and mention this firmware update too. They spoke with someone at Sony on 8/13, and they were told that once available, it would show up at the following link:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...HGHDD500&LOC=3

EDIT: This might be moot, since the post mentioned by WhatHappend earlier leads us to believe that the TVGOS software download CAN be done over a digital host channel, even with the reverted FLASH version of the TVGOS software/firmware.

I will try to get this additional info into my forum in the next day or two.

Thanks
spiff72 is offline  
post #12159 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Land of Sugar, TX
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

EDIT: This might be moot, since the post mentioned by WhatHappend earlier leads us to believe that the TVGOS software download CAN be done over a digital host channel, even with the reverted FLASH version of the TVGOS software/firmware.

I must have missed that post by WH. Since I have two DHGs, and they're not being heavily used until the new TV season begins, I may do a factory reset to one and test this out. I had originally planned on testing out a DTVPal in this manner but I haven't been able to find one locally and my coupons expire at the end of this month so that may not happen.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
PhilB is offline  
post #12160 of 29287 Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spiff72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

I must have missed that post by WH. Since I have two DHGs, and they're not being heavily used until the new TV season begins, I may do a factory reset to one and test this out. I had originally planned on testing out a DTVPal in this manner but I haven't been able to find one locally and my coupons expire at the end of this month so that may not happen.

-phil

If you do this test make sure you let us know. I would like to see a few more data points out there!

I have an email into the engineer at our local HD station - he says that they have the equipment in place, but he isn't sure whether they are sending data yet. I was going to wait until he gets back to me, but i might just try the test one of these days to check myself.
spiff72 is offline  
post #12161 of 29287 Old 08-19-2008, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HoustonPerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
access this link below:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...?mdl=DHGHDD500

Type in "DTV Transition" and select/search for the answer - read the answer!
HoustonPerson is offline  
post #12162 of 29287 Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mike LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That answer comes up simply because the unit has a digital tuner. I would think anyway. Sony's stance on the issue of digital TVGOS has been that the unit will not receive it, though we know that isn't the case.

Judging from their online info and the answers people have received from CSR's and even engineers from Sony, I wouldn't trust what they say at all regarding this unit.

Gamertag: crud monkey
Mike LS is offline  
post #12163 of 29287 Old 08-19-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

I have more control over my forum - not the AVS forum, since the first post in this thread isn't mine to edit...

I can put a sticky topic about this on my forum.

I need to go back though, and confirm that even the oldest firmware version of the Sony DVR (1.2.05) works. I think WhatHappnd has this firmware version.

I used to have 1.2.05 and then I upgraded to get rid of the HDMI video reverting to auto-HDMI mode all the time. I did all the initial testing of Digital guide downloads using 1.2.05 and it worked fine. When the CBS digtial station first started broadcasting they must have had a really old TVGOS version because my unit reverted to a Guide version I have never seen anyone post before (it was older version). The unit was able to update its self to the current version via the Digital channel (unit left on CBS digital).

I don't see the need to test with 1.2.05 any longer, since the 1.2.13 FW update works well.
WhatHappend is offline  
post #12164 of 29287 Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HoustonPerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

That answer comes up simply because the unit has a digital tuner. .....


I know, and that is the funny part; Sony says there is "no digital tuner in it!" They made the product, and know nothing about it. No wonder CC, BB, and Fry's could not sell these things.

Only sliced bread is better...........Duh, no I take that back the Sony Box is Better.
HoustonPerson is offline  
post #12165 of 29287 Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Member
 
djrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I turned off the Auto-Off feature, and left my unit on tuned to 10.1 (KOLN in Lincoln, NE), which I had previously done the G* test on (VBI did increment). The following morning, day 8 of the program guide was filled in. SO...I guess you can indicate that this digital channel is correctly broadcasting TVGOS.
djrich is offline  
post #12166 of 29287 Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Stingray1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sarasota Fl
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TVGOS firmware is 8.01.42/8.06.44, however, when I do the G* test(on channel 10.1), the screen that shows successful downloading of VBI packets shows the TVGOS version as 8.01.42 in the upper lefthand side.. I received ALL 8 days of guide data on cable (QAM) channel 10.1, the local(Tampa) CBS HD channel, within a few hours.

The ONLY thing I did to update the guide was leave the HDD500 turned on and tuned to cable 10.1. Afterwards the host channel still showed as my PBS channel(Tampa 3).

As I understand it, 8.01.42/8.06.44 means 8.01.42 is in the flash memory. Since my G* test is successful while showing TVGOS version 8.01.42, I assume that a reset to flash memory WILL NOT prervent successful downloading guide dat on a digital channel.
Stingray1 is offline  
post #12167 of 29287 Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

I used to have 1.2.05 and then I upgraded to get rid of the HDMI video reverting to auto-HDMI mode all the time.

I don't see the need to test with 1.2.05 any longer, since the 1.2.13 FW update works well.

Interesting...I upgraded all my units with the 1.2.13 firmware, and I still have the problem where it reverts to Auto HDMI mode on one unit.

Mark


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

giomania is offline  
post #12168 of 29287 Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,134
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrich View Post

I turned off the Auto-Off feature, and left my unit on tuned to 10.1 (KOLN in Lincoln, NE), which I had previously done the G* test on (VBI did increment). The following morning, day 8 of the program guide was filled in. SO...I guess you can indicate that this digital channel is correctly broadcasting TVGOS.

I tried this last night with mine. I disabled the Auto-Off, and confirmed that the last listing shown on the TVGOS screen was 11:30pm on Wed Aug 27th. I left the unit turned on, and tuned to OTA 4.1 (WWL-DT New Orleans) which is my local CBS station. This morning I checked the TVGOS screen and had listings thru 11:30pm on Thu Aug 28th.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
post #12169 of 29287 Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TheRatPatrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

No wonder CC, BB, and Fry's could not sell these things.

And the fact that they were $999.99.
TheRatPatrol is offline  
post #12170 of 29287 Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 AM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol View Post

And the fact that they were $999.99.

Heh, I paid retail for my first one (from One Call) and got the other two for $250 from Tweeter. Funny thing is, I worked there at the time, and had to read about the "Disco" price on this thread!

Mark


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

giomania is offline  
post #12171 of 29287 Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Member
 
EdwinC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

I have more control over my forum - not the AVS forum, since the first post in this thread isn't mine to edit...

I can put a sticky topic about this on my forum.

I need to go back though, and confirm that even the oldest firmware version of the Sony DVR (1.2.05) works. I think WhatHappnd has this firmware version.

I am no techie so I apologize in advance to those that may think I am wasting their time. I do understand that there is a way to get a digital channel to be your host channel. What I am not sure of is if after I "force" the digital channel to be my host channel, would it revert back to the analog host afterwards? It would seem to me that if this is the case, then I would be better off waiting for February (DTV Transition) to do it. However, if the digital channel "sticks" and becomes my host channel after I "force" it, then I might as well do it now. I hesitate because every time, I try to do "correct" something on my 250, I manage to mess it up! Ok, let me have it!
EdwinC is offline  
post #12172 of 29287 Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Land of Sugar, TX
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinC View Post

I am no techie so I apologize in advance to those that may think I am wasting their time. I do understand that there is a way to get a digital channel to be your host channel. What I am not sure of is if after I "force" the digital channel to be my host channel, would it revert back to the analog host afterwards? It would seem to me that if this is the case, then I would be better off waiting for February (DTV Transition) to do it. However, if the digital channel "sticks" and becomes my host channel after I "force" it, then I might as well do it now. I hesitate because every time, I try to do "correct" something on my 250, I manage to mess it up! Ok, let me have it!

Edwin,

From my experience, once the digital host channel is locked, it will stay the host channel. However it appears that after a power cycle the host channel may revert back to the analog host.

One thing to keep in mind is that in February you will have to do a channel scan as many channels will be moving frequencies on the transistion. If you host channel is one of those, odds are that your DHG will need to find the new host.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
PhilB is offline  
post #12173 of 29287 Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Member
 
southbayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Bay, Los Angeles
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently Time Warner Cable in LA shuffled their lineup. Did an autoscan to find all the channels again, both with my tv and HDD250. After the scan my TV found the new location for both nbc/cbs at 4.1/2.1 (they used to be in the 95.xxx range and above.) However the HDD250 did not find them. (although it found all the other stations just fine.) If I directly enter the #'s 2.1 or 4.1 on the keypad of the remote to tune to either station it informs me there is no signal. The cable is hooked up fine because I get all the other stations.

Usually I wouldn't worry, because I get the networks OTA. However in rainy weather (rare in LA) or during Santa Ana conditions (frequent) the OTA digital signal for NBC (and FOX) is poor to say the least.

What has gone wrong that I can't tune to these stations with the HDD250, yet I can with the TV.
southbayla is offline  
post #12174 of 29287 Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
frank70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbayla View Post

What has gone wrong that I can't tune to these stations with the HDD250, yet I can with the TV.

Entering 2.1 or 4.1 is useless unless they came up in the scan, as it has no idea what RF channel to map those to. You could try the "Add channels" option, to try to find them again, I suppose. I'm not a cable user, so I'm not up on the fine points of clear QAM reception.
frank70 is offline  
post #12175 of 29287 Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ray1938's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbayla View Post

Recently Time Warner Cable in LA shuffled their lineup. Did an autoscan to find all the channels again, both with my tv and HDD250. After the scan my TV found the new location for both nbc/cbs at 4.1/2.1 (they used to be in the 95.xxx range and above.) However the HDD250 did not find them. (although it found all the other stations just fine.) If I directly enter the #'s 2.1 or 4.1 on the keypad of the remote to tune to either station it informs me there is no signal. The cable is hooked up fine because I get all the other stations.


What has gone wrong that I can't tune to these stations with the HDD250, yet I can with the TV.

I have both TW and OTA reception in WLA, and find it hard to believe that TW would assign the same numbers as OTA. If your 250 is connected to an antenna, both those channels should come in OTA.

Ray
Ray1938 is offline  
post #12176 of 29287 Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Member
 
fox200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pleasanton,ca
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even though the host channel says 5.1, the guide just stops downloading and says "no listing". This has happened on all my units at different times. I have to go back to the analog channel to get the guide back. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

fox
fox200 is offline  
post #12177 of 29287 Old 08-22-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
frank70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox200 View Post

Even though the host channel says 5.1, the guide just stops downloading and says "no listing". This has happened on all my units at different times. I have to go back to the analog channel to get the guide back. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

fox

Yes, I've had this happen a few times (but in my case the missing listings are sparsely populated with a good listing here-and-there) - it seems to coincide with additional channels appearing at the end of my list, but I'm not positive there is a correlation. Even when it is in this state, if I run the G* test on the digital channel, the listings fill in. To get it to start downloading listings from the digital host channel again (when the unit is "off"), I need to force the host away from that channel, and then back to that channel.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Sony's documented preference for an analog host over digital, so even though it has a digital host seemingly "locked in", it may go on the prowl in the wee hours for an analog one. Just a guess. But WhatHappend has not reported this symptom, so it may be a local phenomenon having something to do with guide updates.
frank70 is offline  
post #12178 of 29287 Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Member
 
fox200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pleasanton,ca
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Yes, I've had this happen a few times (but in my case the missing listings are sparsely populated with a good listing here-and-there) - it seems to coincide with additional channels appearing at the end of my list, but I'm not positive there is a correlation. Even when it is in this state, if I run the G* test on the digital channel, the listings fill in. To get it to start downloading listings from the digital host channel again (when the unit is "off"), I need to force the host away from that channel, and then back to that channel.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Sony's documented preference for an analog host over digital, so even though it has a digital host seemingly "locked in", it may go on the prowl in the wee hours for an analog one. Just a guess. But WhatHappend has not reported this symptom, so it may be a local phenomenon having something to do with guide updates.

Thank you for your response frank. I just hope I don't have to babysit my 3 Sony's when analog goes away just to have guide data. I think for now I'll keep on an analog host.

fox
fox200 is offline  
post #12179 of 29287 Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Newbie
 
DVR Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's 2005. I'm looking for something to replace my Sony DVD Recorder. There are some fancy new combo units available from Panasonic. They have VCR, DVDR, and a Hard Drive all in one unit! Wow! But they're still too expensive; maybe next year. Wait a minute; Sony has a High Definition Recorder with a Hard Drive. No built in DVDR and it costs $1,000.00! Outrageous, besides, there are hardly any HD TV stations out there.
2006 rolls around and the Panasonic DMR-EH75 is looking good. For a very reasonable $450.00 I have a fantastic combo unit. Hooray! By 2007 or 2008, I'll bet Panasonic will have one with High Definition.
Along comes late 2007 and I'm looking for the latest and greatest from Panasonic. Wait a minute, this can't be right, there must be a typo, no hard drive units at all! In fact there is no good fee free High Definition Over the Air unit at all! A nightmare come true! Is it 1992 again? How could they do this? Tivo? Monthly fees for Over the Air? Give me a break! Come next year, I guess I'll use a Digital to Analog converter with my Panasonic DMR-EH75.
Early 2008 brings with it the possibility of a future DVR, the EchoStar TR-50. My mouth waters with anticipation.
Now it's the summer of 2008. I get my highly rated DTVPal. I can't get it to work with my Panasonic TV Guide, the picture quality is terrible, and it dies the next day. What a letdown, but that was only the beginning. Tech support was like robot Deli Bellys. I called EchoStar in Colorado and spoke with an actual American woman and told her about my DTVPal problems. My return for refund request was met with we have a no refund policy. They promised to send me a new unit. In closing my conversation with her I asked, will the same division (as DTVPal) in EchoStar be making the TR-50? An enthusiastic Yes! Will the same Tech support be used for the TR-50? A cautious Yes. Will the same customer support people be working the TR-50? A depressed Yes. Thank you, click. One week later and I still don't have a replacement DTVPal. That's the end of TR-50. Now what? I take a second look at the Sony DHG- HDD 250. It's looking pretty darn good at this point. A casual whim takes me to E-bay and what do I find? A like new 250 up for auction and is located within driving distance. A fairly easy bid process wins the unit for me at a price of $460.00. To me that's not bad. To some of you a fortune. Three years of TiVo would set me back almost $700.00. I have the Sony at home and it doesn't have so much as a smudge on it. Everything works. I have my Over the Air HD recording and good old TV Guide. Life is good again. This forum is simply amazing with its wealth of information. Thank you all.
DVR Dan is offline  
post #12180 of 29287 Old 08-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Wally1912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NAS South Weymouth, MA
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox200 View Post

Even though the host channel says 5.1, the guide just stops downloading and says "no listing". This has happened on all my units at different times. I have to go back to the analog channel to get the guide back. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

fox

I've been experiencing this as well when using a digital host. I've had complete days with no listings and sometimes, as Frank70 mentioned, only little bits of guide info missing.
Wally1912 is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread - m401i-a3 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off