Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 462 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13831 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm back. It appears now that I have NO host channel and my guide listings show "No Listing" effective this Thursday and after.

I have a cablecard from Brighthouse Networks and have tried communicating with them, the local CBS affiliate (WKMG) and get nothing of any substance from either. This morning I sent an email to the PBS affiliate to see if they stopped transmitting their analog TVGOS feed (I think they did).

The Macrovision website still states that local CBS (WKMG) is carrying it. Does anyone have a solution or some advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13832 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM

SonyWinner....I just contacted Brighthouse technical to consider them as a provider. When I ask if my Sony HDD250 using THEIR CableCard would work with their service, I was told "....yes, but there would be NO tv guide!" I thought the answer was just a sloven way of kissing me off, but you seem to support this.
post #13833 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 AM

Well, I've got all of my feelers out right now.....Brighthouse, Macrovision, local PBS and WKMG affiliates.....hopefully someone will give me a positive response this time and I'll post whatever info I receive. What good is a guide with no listings?? If I don't have listings.....I don't need this unit and I guess it will become a very expensive doorstop ! Duh !

Are you in Orlando, too?
post #13834 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM

No.....On west coast of FL just above Tampa Bay. My HDD 250 had a reboot shortly following the loss of my local PBS TVGOS provider. Since then, I have done everything mentioned on this forum to get TVGOS and correct time back with no success. The Chief Engineer at local CH 10 said several weeks ago that they were adding TVGOS to their digital signal, but he swore that my older "Legacy" Sony unit would never accept any digital TVGOS signal. I will keep trying, but I may be one of those "maybe" users in the future that is out of luck. My wife is very happy so far (knock on wood) with a first- to-be-shipped Dish DVTPalDVR.
post #13835 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
post #13836 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM

Now I've added Sony to the list of "questioners" as I received a good-for-nothing response from Macrovision:

"This email address is for supporting our Consumer Electronics partners only. If this inquiry is regarding the Digital Transition please consult our Digital Transition web site located at www.macrovision.com/dtv for regular updates. If you need further assistance please contact your Consumer Electronics Manufacturer for support."

That website tells me nothing.
post #13837 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi...I believe someone in the recent past posted a list of download periods and types SOMEWHERE for digital TVGOS broadcasts...was it in THIS thread? thanks - Tony

(I have a Sony, but I'm wondering about this for my LG3410a, with which I'm now trying a DTVPal in TVGOS mode, but have no idea whether downloads would come on the DIGITAL TVGOS broadcast schedule or the analog.)

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #13838 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 04:02 PM

FYI - 2 500's OTA only
See post 13877 and 79
Left them on again set on 2-1.
Both lost a few listings, maybe 2 stations, for day 8 but for the most part are full.
Still no host listed, clock channels still fffffffd but correct time.
One interesting note, one of the channels that lost listings was 2-1?
Will leave on again after running G*test and see what tomorrow brings!
Ain't this fun.
post #13839 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS5 View Post

As suspected, I am now back to OTA PBS WTTW 11 for my host channel, and am receiving listings once more.

The saga continues in Chicago....

It seems that "screw-around weekend" is over in Chicago. I forced the digital host yesterday and it stuck (Comcast CBS-HD), but got no listings during the day. Normal listings appeared overnight.

One odd thing --- there were no packets on analog PBS 94 or CBS-HD 189 for part of yesterday afternoon and early evening. The OTA stations were OK, so Comcast was up to something. Maybe something to do with the transition? Dunno.

Phil
post #13840 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaopepe View Post

Thank you Possumgirl, I could try to go back to analog using an indoor antenna and see if I can get the channel lineup with analog and then switch to digital, but at this point I have the latest version of the firmware and the clock is also correct. What is missing is the channel lineup and the guide.

I will give what Frank suggested a try first and hope it works. Otherwise I have to go back to analog and start everything all over again.

Sorry it took me so long to write back. I was trying every possible way for several nights in a row.

Here is some background: I live in a building where the analog channels are blocked, which means my Sony should pick up the digital VBI host, but it didn't. I followed all of Frank's directions but got stock with "No data on this screen". I tried using other zip codes and nothing worked.

I had to connect the TV to an indoor antenna, allow the analog channel to be selected as host and the channel line up first.
Once the channel lineup were there, even though empty, I was able to connect back to my regular antenna and force it to pick up the CBS as the digital host.

In my tests I noticed that the data packet comes done much faster on the analog channel than the digital channel. 100 packet per minute compare to 63 per minute.

Anyway for now my TV Guide is full, let's see if it stays that way if I leave it alone for a week.

Thanks everyone for your help.
post #13841 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fontana View Post

As of this morning, the host channel finally showed up as 0:32-0. 32 is the raw UHF channel for 4-1, so I guess I've finally got the unit locked to the digital feed . So far it's sticking. I hadn't heard of a digital host channel showing as its raw UHF channel before. Is anyone else seeing that?

That is normal for the host channel to display the frequency assignment, although some users in this forum have reported the host channel displays the actual channel #. My digital host is channel 7.1 but is displayed as 0:39-0 as UHF 39 is the frequency assignment for digital CBS 7.1 in my area.
post #13842 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

That is normal for the host channel to display the frequency assignment, although some users in this forum have reported the host channel displays the actual channel #. My digital host is channel 7.1 but is displayed as 0:39-0 as UHF 39 is the frequency assignment for digital CBS 7.1 in my area.

Yes, it seems to work either way, but if the Sony detects the digital host automatically (as opposed to being forced to via the VBI Search Current Channel code), it fills in the host with the RF channel number and a zero subchannel (the TVGOS packets are embedded in the MPEG data stream that also carries the video and audio for all the subchannels, so the subchannel in the host is effectively irrelevant - a non-zero subchannel simply indicates that the PSIP-mapped rather than the raw channel number is being used.)
post #13843 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Scott,

Right after I replied to your message yesterday I went and checked my DVR listings, and found that day 8 data was missing (should have flled in Tuesday night). I checked again this morning, and now day 7 and day 8 are missing.

Mark

Scott are you still getting TVGOS data using the G* Test? My guide still isn't updating, and I only have 1 day of listings left. I tried a TV Guide/Exit reset, last Friday, and was able to set my clock by doing the G* Test on 12-1, but the next morning No Listing, No Listing, No Listing... across the board. Then I tried forcing the host channel again, and still No Listing the next morning. I'm going to do the G* Test, and leave the unit on over night, and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll probably do the 'TV Guide Restore Factory Defaults' in the G* Test screen. I won't do the main 'Restore Factory Defaults' because I have recordings that I haven't watched yet. This is frustrating, after a month of getting listings via the digital host, now nothing for almost a week.

Mark
post #13844 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Um, Naw na na Naaaaa! Can't touch this!

Sony BRX-A320

The device that I wanted to come to North America as the sucessor to the DHG-HDD250/500 was the BDZ-T90, announced last spring, which combined a dual-tuner DVR with Blu-Ray recording.

Sadly, it seems never to have made its way outside Japan.
post #13845 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So is anyone else in Phoenix not receiving guide data past Thursday, or am I the only one on here in Phoenix with one of these DVRs? Thanks
post #13846 of 29299 Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some Success! Anyone in Oklahoma waiting on the digital TVGoS to start needs to contact OETA and complain. The equipment arrived a few days ago, but is not functioning correctly. The person at OETA said they only had 2 requests about this service and that it is up to TV Guide to come fix the problem as OETA is leasing space to TV Guide for the equipment. He said if they had more complaints it would help prompt TV Guide to get someone on fixing the problem. HE said they are going to try and get it up and running correctly in a couple of days after making some changes on their end.
post #13847 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 03:52 AM

Well after 3 years of OTA and regular cable, I'm going to get a CableCard for one of my Sonys. I wouldn't expect it but....installing the card doesn't do anything to stored programs does it? Would not want to lose the 12 hours or so of recordings I have.
post #13848 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

Well after 3 years of OTA and regular cable, I'm going to get a CableCard for one of my Sonys. I wouldn't expect it but....installing the card doesn't do anything to stored programs does it? Would not want to lose the 12 hours or so of recordings I have.

No, but good luck with it working for a guide, unless you can get a good digital host channel to come up.
post #13849 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyWinner View Post

No, but good luck with it working for a guide, unless you can get a good digital host channel to come up.

Well I have a working analog guide now and my local PBS station is transitioning to digital prior to June 12. Why wouldn't it work without a digital host channel?
post #13850 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 AM

You're lucky if your PBS is moving TVGOS to digital - ours didn't, turned off the analog feed and I need an update from our local CBS station. They aren't cooperating.....and neither is Brighthouse !
post #13851 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:

You're lucky if your PBS is moving TVGOS to digital - ours didn't, turned off the analog feed and I need an update from our local CBS station. They aren't cooperating.....and neither is Brighthouse !

I actually didn't find this out until last week when one of the local PBS engineers confirmed (on another thread) they would be putting the digital TVGOS on line shortly. I was trying to get information from the local CBS station (as that is where I expected I would get the new digital TVGOS) but it turns out they aren't owned and operated by CBS and had no plans to support digital TVGOS.

Fortunately, Macrovision approached the local PBS station about it and they agreed to carry it going forward. The good news for me is that they've had very consistent support of the analog TVGOS in the last 3 years so the track record is good...
post #13852 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

Hi...I believe someone in the recent past posted a list of download periods and types SOMEWHERE for digital TVGOS broadcasts...was it in THIS thread? thanks - Tony

(I have a Sony, but I'm wondering about this for my LG3410a, with which I'm now trying a DTVPal in TVGOS mode, but have no idea whether downloads would come on the DIGITAL TVGOS broadcast schedule or the analog.)

See post 13734 for the analog schedule and posts 13709 & 13708 for the digital information.
post #13853 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortier View Post

No.....On west coast of FL just above Tampa Bay. My HDD 250 had a reboot shortly following the loss of my local PBS TVGOS provider. Since then, I have done everything mentioned on this forum to get TVGOS and correct time back with no success. The Chief Engineer at local CH 10 said several weeks ago that they were adding TVGOS to their digital signal, but he swore that my older "Legacy" Sony unit would never accept any digital TVGOS signal. I will keep trying, but I may be one of those "maybe" users in the future that is out of luck. My wife is very happy so far (knock on wood) with a first- to-be-shipped Dish DVTPalDVR.

I live in Lake Alfred FL (half way between Tampa and Orlando), I have two 250's. One is picking up guide data and the other has shown no data on screen for several days. Haven't figured out the difference between the two yet but the good news is data is coming in somewhere on one of them... I've tried to force to 6.1 (CBS) but I think the good one is recieving info from channel 24 analog PBS. Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Lyca
post #13854 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post

Some Success! Anyone in Oklahoma waiting on the digital TVGoS to start needs to contact OETA and complain. The equipment arrived a few days ago, but is not functioning correctly. The person at OETA said they only had 2 requests about this service and that it is up to TV Guide to come fix the problem as OETA is leasing space to TV Guide for the equipment. He said if they had more complaints it would help prompt TV Guide to get someone on fixing the problem. HE said they are going to try and get it up and running correctly in a couple of days after making some changes on their end.

I guess I am one of those 2. I have left 2 messages on the engineering line voice mail. Have not received a response.

I have 2 DHG-HDD250s with cablecard from Cox. I have searched VBI on all the probable CBS and PBS stations OTA and digital (all iterations). None found. Last hope is OETA inserting via digital and the Sony's picking it up.
post #13855 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

What good is a guide with no listings??

Nothing that's half as bad as a Sony not getting a usable time signal.
post #13856 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

This sounds like the edge of what I think of as the unknown black hole.

I don't recall reading any posts where someone has successfully gotten their channel lineup (and correct clock) using a digital host when both have been lost and there is no analog host available. I hope I'm wrong and someone has done it. Anyone? When I was testing and used Frank70's procedure, I had the same result he did in that the clock set and channel lineup ONLY got built once I let the analog host take over.

If the analog host in S.F. is not transmitting TVGOS right now, that sort of confirms my fears about getting a channel lineup rebuilt from digital host.

Has anyone gotten the channel lineup to build via a digital host?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #13857 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaopepe View Post

Sorry it took me so long to write back. I was trying every possible way for several nights in a row.

Here is some background: I live in a building where the analog channels are blocked, which means my Sony should pick up the digital VBI host, but it didn't. I followed all of Frank's directions but got stock with "No data on this screen". I tried using other zip codes and nothing worked.

I had to connect the TV to an indoor antenna, allow the analog channel to be selected as host and the channel line up first.
Once the channel lineup were there, even though empty, I was able to connect back to my regular antenna and force it to pick up the CBS as the digital host.

In my tests I noticed that the data packet comes done much faster on the analog channel than the digital channel. 100 packet per minute compare to 63 per minute.

Anyway for now my TV Guide is full, let's see if it stays that way if I leave it alone for a week.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Reading ciaopepe's results confirms my fears on this matter.

Over the weekend one of my units suffered a hard reset when I tried to get it out of a lockup situation and resorted to unplugging it. Bottom line short...once again I had to use the analog host to get the channel lineup back.
post #13858 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 PM

osu1991 and NE OK (Tulsa) readers...

Came home tonight and my 2 DHG-HDD250s had correct times. The living room box has cable 98 (Fox 23) as host and the MBR box has OTA 23 as host.

The living room box I had used to search VBI so I had lost the guide settings totally. When I hit the guide button it prompted me to choose my programming provider (Cox Digital via CableCard) and went right to the guide. Guide totally populated 8 days out. I just have to clean the guide up again.

The MBR never lost the guide but was using up the days it still had populated and the time was off with me messing with it.

Not sure if we will have Fox and PBS both as guide sources when OETA/TVGOS gets their act together. I'm just happy I have a guide now and probable for the future. I didn't want to have to replace the Sonys. Can't stand the motorola boxes and cablecard is much cheaper. The picture is much better from the Sonys as well.
post #13859 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I got it all using Frank70, but I reset my 250 on the front panel of the unit by pressing EXIT/TV GUIDE buttons together.

Also I reduce the time between the 4 steps (24 hrs/4 days) to 12 hrs. I believe the time could be reduced even farther to 6 hrs, because the signal is now digital and downloads are much faster, but I'm not going to experiment because I finally got it working. It took me over a month to do so.

Gregg
post #13860 of 29299 Old 02-24-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Scott are you still getting TVGOS data using the G* Test? My guide still isn't updating, and I only have 1 day of listings left. I tried a TV Guide/Exit reset, last Friday, and was able to set my clock by doing the G* Test on 12-1, but the next morning No Listing, No Listing, No Listing... across the board. Then I tried forcing the host channel again, and still No Listing the next morning. I'm going to do the G* Test, and leave the unit on over night, and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll probably do the 'TV Guide Restore Factory Defaults' in the G* Test screen. I won't do the main 'Restore Factory Defaults' because I have recordings that I haven't watched yet. This is frustrating, after a month of getting listings via the digital host, now nothing for almost a week.

Mark

Hey Mark,
No luck here either. I have stayed locked on 12-1 for several days now, but no new listings. My last day is today. I am glad for a clock at least and switched to manual timers. I wonder if 12 changed something at the switchover or something. Have you tried a G*test on 12-2? I doubt it helps. Good luck. Scott
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page