Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 464 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13891 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a very sick DVR. A power hit appears to have upset it greatly, and I need help to revive it. (Apologies for the lengthy tale.)

I've been using my DVR for a couple of years now. I've had to reset it once or twice, and I've had to use the reset-from-lockout procedure to revive it this summer. But this is new.

The situation is this: We experienced a power "event" on Monday, where we lost and regained power a couple of times. The cause was a broken wire between power poles. The broken wire came down, sparking, etc., just outside the room where the DVR lives. The DVR is not on a surge protector/UPS.

After the "event", I noticed that the DVR lost its time display. I assumed it had reset for some reason. I think it still had old TVGOS program information. I still could view my channels, and HD channels mapped their information correctly so, for example, channel 2-1 could be reached by entering 2.1. So, the basic viewing functions of the DVR worked. I checked the VBI and host channel information and saw they were unset. From this summer's lockup I knew that the TVGOS information would select the wrong channel, so I did the manual VBI Search Channel function and turned the DVR off overnight. However, in the morning the time still had not been set.

We didn't use the DVR until we wanted to watch a recorded program on Tuesday evening. The clock had still not set itself, and I discovered all the recordings had been lost, as though a hard factory reset had been done. Very distressing!

Wednesday my wife watched a little TV, using the basic DVR functions to pause and skip the program that was tuned in. After she finished, I decided to do an explicit Restore Factory Defaults procedure, hoping to get things into a known state. The reset seemed to go as expected; the channel scan completed, and the numbers of channels seemed about right.

However, when I exited the channel scan to complete the setup, there was no picture or sound from any channel I selected. I still get menu displays on the screen, but no TV programming! Oh, and this morning the clock still had not set itself.

So now I'm really perplexed:
- I can't get the clock to set
- I can't get TVGOS information
- I can't even watch programming through the DVR now, although I could immediately after the "event".

I could sure use some suggestions about what to do next.

TIA
Dave Kristol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13892 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheOne View Post

I am not aware of anyone who has successfully demonstrated that one of these recorders can acquire a digital clock channel on its own after a reset. In any instance where both the host channel and time data are lost (such as a TVGOS reset, a power failure?, or a full factory reset), the TVGOS software reverts to the default version (08.01.42 for most of us), which cannot acquire data from a digital source. Usually the next steps are to acquire the intermediate version of the software (8.05.40) that does allow reception of digital source information, which in turn allows the acquisition of the latest version of the software (08.06.44 currently) as well as the channel listings and guide information. Once this occurs, we know that the recorder can receive clock data from a digital source.

But, here's the rub. After one of the aforementioned resets, the clock data is initially incorrect. Without a clock channel, the clock cannot be set correctly. Even if the recorder can locate a digital clock channel on its own (which has yet to be demonstrated), the default software won't recognize data from the digital channel. Without the correct time, the downloads do not occur. Without the downloads, the software will not recognize digital source information and, therefore, cannot update the software, obtain the channel list, obtain the guide listings, or update the clock information.

As I see it there are three solutions to this issue. The first and easiest (since we have direct control of this method) is a VCR backup tape of an analog broadcast containing VBI information, which someone (I don't remember who) suggested much earlier in this thread.

Good stuff...
As a test, I was able to recover (with listings) from a full factory reset within a few hours using the VCR tape method. Unfortunately, I can't test a full recovery in a digital environment because Tucson doesn't have a digital host

Currently, I think a way to simulate an all digital environment would be to use DHG with a cablecard and nothing connected to the antenna input in a market where you can't tune to any analog cable channels when your cablecard is installed. If someone has this setup and has a cable digital host, they could perform a recovery test.
post #13893 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 AM

To those people in Phoenix, I emailed KAET about not receiving TVGOS for the past week. One of their engineers replied that a power supply failed on 2/19 and they are waiting on a replacement. Once the replacement is installed the analog TVGOS will be back online.

Also, the Director of Engineering told me that KAET still has not decided if they will carry the digital TVGOS signal after the June digital transition.
post #13894 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
post #13895 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-Tel View Post

My local CBS analog host ceased transmissions on 2/17. I had thought that the transition for the Sony would not require me to take any action!!??
On the other hand my LG3410A is the one I've been trying to get back on TVGOS. I'm chasing my tail on that one!
Anyhow I need some direction as to how to get my Sony to receive digital TVGOS. I (THINK?) know it is being transmitted because I have a DTVPal DVR that is receiving TVGOS listings. And yes, it has its own problems!

If I need a software upgrade how do I get it and install it?
Any other necessary user actions to get the Sony into the digital TVGOS world?
I really appreciate any help and will supply more info if needed?
Thanks, Fred

You should go to the first post in this thread, which will direct you to Spiffy's site, to see everything we know about the above and other issues, thoughtyou should be assured that your present version of the TVGOS firmware IS the current one, 08.06.44.

I am not an expert in forcing a Sony to go to a new host channel...you should read what's in the support site and, then!, if you have a question, ask it here!

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #13896 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyWinner View Post

Thanks. And from I what I read here, I will need a certain software version to achieve the digital signal, correct? Which version is that, please and if I don't have it, how do I get it? Oh, an btw, local CBS affiliate finally responded with: "We have temporarily disabled this service due to problems with the equipment that inserts the data into our signal. As for information on how to receive this you will still need to contact TV guide. We don't have any information on their service or how to acquire it. If they refer you back to me please get the name and number of who you called and I will forward this to my contact."

Still no response from Brighthouse.

The TVGOS software is downloaded just like the listings. It takes care of itself once a host channel is found. The Sony firmware version makes no difference.

If CBS is temporarily not inserting TVGOS data, you have to hope a different local analog channel is. The DVR will normally find a different host if left on its own and can't get listings for three days.

Once there is an active host, your OTA solution should work.

Most of the major cable companies have agreements with TVGOS and will pass the data through their equipment. Not sure about Brighthouse, as I seem to see problems posted about them.

Phil
post #13897 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kristol View Post

I have a very sick DVR. A power hit appears to have upset it greatly, and I need help to revive it. (Apologies for the lengthy tale.)

I've been using my DVR for a couple of years now. I've had to reset it once or twice, and I've had to use the reset-from-lockout procedure to revive it this summer. But this is new.

The situation is this: We experienced a power "event" on Monday, where we lost and regained power a couple of times. The cause was a broken wire between power poles. The broken wire came down, sparking, etc., just outside the room where the DVR lives. The DVR is not on a surge protector/UPS.

After the "event", I noticed that the DVR lost its time display. I assumed it had reset for some reason. I think it still had old TVGOS program information. I still could view my channels, and HD channels mapped their information correctly so, for example, channel 2-1 could be reached by entering 2.1. So, the basic viewing functions of the DVR worked. I checked the VBI and host channel information and saw they were unset. From this summer's lockup I knew that the TVGOS information would select the wrong channel, so I did the manual VBI Search Channel function and turned the DVR off overnight. However, in the morning the time still had not been set.

We didn't use the DVR until we wanted to watch a recorded program on Tuesday evening. The clock had still not set itself, and I discovered all the recordings had been lost, as though a hard factory reset had been done. Very distressing!

Wednesday my wife watched a little TV, using the basic DVR functions to pause and skip the program that was tuned in. After she finished, I decided to do an explicit Restore Factory Defaults procedure, hoping to get things into a known state. The reset seemed to go as expected; the channel scan completed, and the numbers of channels seemed about right.

However, when I exited the channel scan to complete the setup, there was no picture or sound from any channel I selected. I still get menu displays on the screen, but no TV programming! Oh, and this morning the clock still had not set itself.

So now I'm really perplexed:
- I can't get the clock to set
- I can't get TVGOS information
- I can't even watch programming through the DVR now, although I could immediately after the "event".

I could sure use some suggestions about what to do next.

TIA
Dave Kristol

Dave,

Try the following in this order:

1. Turn the recorder on and perform a soft reset.

2. Once the reset is complete rescan your channels.

3. Reenter your setup information using a Zip Code of 00000.

4. Reenter your setup information again using your correct Zip Code.

5. Turn the recorder off and leave it off overnight.

6. Check the following morning for a clock and a channel lineup.

7. If you have them, you know where to go from there, if not, post the results and we'll try to help further.

Good luck.
post #13898 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxgy View Post

Actually, I've since found this to be more rock stable..

Of course to get the full array of channels, you still need to do the "make each one the host temporarily" setup one at the time - leaving your local host as the last one setup.

Does this mean deselecting the first host channel in the Guide and channel editor or "forcing" a second (then third) host channel using the previously documented method? (Think of selecting 17-1 then 9-1 for the Toronto market - is that right?)
post #13899 of 29253 Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Scott,

I just sent an email to feedback@kwch.com, asking them if they would look into it.

Here is the response I got from them today:

Mark,

We are working to restore this function with our digital signal. I
don't know exactly when this will be back up and running - but we'll
keep you posted on our website.

John Boyd
KWCH.com News Content Producer

Not much to go on. I guess it's better than "What is TVGOS???". Of course last night, since my guide is completely filled with 'No Listing', I decided to re-do everything from the ground up using Frank70's procedure. Despite my CBS station's problems on their end, it has managed to take my version from 8.01.42/0.00.00 to 8.01.42/8.05.40 last night, and on up to 8.1.42/8.06.44 today. I'm hoping the clock gets set tonight, and maybe even have a channel list in the morning.

Mark
post #13900 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post

The TVGOS software is downloaded just like the listings. It takes care of itself once a host channel is found. The Sony firmware version makes no difference.

If CBS is temporarily not inserting TVGOS data, you have to hope a different local analog channel is. The DVR will normally find a different host if left on its own and can't get listings for three days.

Once there is an active host, your OTA solution should work.

Most of the major cable companies have agreements with TVGOS and will pass the data through their equipment. Not sure about Brighthouse, as I seem to see problems posted about them.

Here's the response from our Local CBS affiliate, WKMG:

"The problem is with the TV guide equipment that puts the data on my signal. TV Guide is working on the problem now and we hope to have a solution soon. Until then you will not be able to get the data no mater how you receive the signal.

The problem the equipment was causing disrupted our video to many receivers though not all. As you can imagine I could not allow this to continue.

We will have this back on as soon as tv guide resolves the problem.

Again the arrangement with them is for us to transport the information.
We have no control over the content nor do we act as a support center for them. Any issues that you have with this service should be directed to them.

Frank
Local6

So, for now, I'm just hangin' out here with "No Listings" - at least the channels are there. Still no response from Brighthouse (figures). Latest communication from Sony is to call them directly - which I already have a feeling will be "fruitless". Thanks to all for your help!
post #13901 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

One of many reasons we may no longer have DVR's in the USA, for us ordinary OTA folks.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ut-control.ars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOGB9...org/issues/soc

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/r...ent=6520194876

I think it is partly financial. An OTA DVR, like the new sony unit in England which burns Blu Ray, is priced at 1,000 pounds, which puts it way above most folks here in the US. Like the cell phone market, we fall for the "easy payment plan" DVR which charges you forever from your provider. This is also easier than selling to the public,as the public is not going to try to fix the box and you as a company have to support another company, not deal with returns from J6P as soon as the guide locks up.

The other side of this is that the boxes are programmable at the whim of the "company", so you can do things like screw with 30 second fast forwards and make sure no one cracks anything.

This makes content providers happy. I'm just pissed that there are no "record out" jacks anymore, and worse, that my TV will not output 5.1, only stereo, so that hooking things up gets more complicated.

Here is the farce. Point an HD camera at an HD screen. Record....you have just eliminated HDCP, etc. Not to mention anyone who really cares and will spend a few bucks can still rip and burn.......

The law abiding person takes the hit.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #13902 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Dave,

Try the following in this order:

1. Turn the recorder on and perform a soft reset.

2. Once the reset is complete rescan your channels.

3. Reenter your setup information using a Zip Code of 00000.

4. Reenter your setup information again using your correct Zip Code.

5. Turn the recorder off and leave it off overnight.

6. Check the following morning for a clock and a channel lineup.

7. If you have them, you know where to go from there, if not, post the results and we'll try to help further.

Good luck.

I did that. Still no clock, and my VBI channel is 4-1. I'm in the NYC area, on Comcast, so I would expect my VBI channel to be 2-1 or 13.

However, I was bad. Between steps 4 and 5, I watched TV through the DVR -- on 4-1. I'll try the procedure again today... and be good.

BTW, after I did a soft reset yesterday, I got back the ability to watch TV through the DVR. That's a big relief! I thought I might have a brick.

Thanks for your help!
Dave Kristol
post #13903 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCtech View Post

Does this mean deselecting the first host channel in the Guide and channel editor or "forcing" a second (then third) host channel using the previously documented method? (Think of selecting 17-1 then 9-1 for the Toronto market - is that right?)

Sorry I wasn't more detailed on that part...

Using the example of Toronto local host, Buffalo secondary host...

It means you have to change country to USA, enter a Buffalo zip code (14201 for example), wait 24 hours for the Buffalo TVGOS channels to show up in the channel editor. Once they do, change the country to Canada, enter your Toronto zip code, wait another 24 hours. After that, both the Buffalo & Toronto groups of channels should be in the editor in a combined list. Then you can play with the channel assignments as described earlier in order to get daily updates from both Buffalo & Toronto hosts (some from host #1, some from host #2).
post #13904 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Some good news:

I have managed to force a digital clock channel, which has stuck for the last day. On one of my recorders I now have analog 26 PBS as a host channel and digital 9.1 CBS as a clock set channel. Both stations are Washington, DC.

And some strange news:

A couple of days ago both of my recorders lost their host channel. I had another issue to correct so I did a soft reset, rescan of channels, and reentered the setup information. When the recorders each reacquired a host channel they both wound up with analog 22 PBS in Annapolis, MD. The strange part is that one has a channel list with 549 entries and the other has a channel list with 730 entries.
post #13905 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxgy View Post

Sorry I wasn't more detailed on that part...

Using the example of Toronto local host, Buffalo secondary host...

It means you have to change country to USA, enter a Buffalo zip code (14201 for example), wait 24 hours for the Buffalo TVGOS channels to show up in the channel editor. Once they do, change the country to Canada, enter your Toronto zip code, wait another 24 hours. After that, both the Buffalo & Toronto groups of channels should be in the editor in a combined list. Then you can play with the channel assignments as described earlier in order to get daily updates from both Buffalo & Toronto hosts (some from host #1, some from host #2).

Ok, thanks! I've done that without knowing it was the proper procedure since I just came out of using a 143xx zip code. I changed to a Toronto postal code and then forced 9-1 to be the host. Seems to be seeing everything including Time Warner cable and Rogers cable channels plus all the off-air. I have full listings for next Friday so I think that should indicate day 8 is fully populated. A couple of more days and I'll be more certain. I have 9-1 and 17-1 both "on" in the guide and channel editor and both analog equivalents "off". The box is showing 9-1 as host where it was 17-1 two days ago.
post #13906 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of many reasons we may no longer have DVR’s in the USA, for us ordinary OTA folks.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ut-control.ars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOGB9...org/issues/soc

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/r...ent=6520194876

Those have nothing to do with digital DVR like the SONY. That is for cable company early release VOD which VOD is not recordable by cable DVR anyways.

This only means you can't record the analog output of these early VOD titles to a analog DVR, VCR, DVD recorder, or new HD analog component capture card on your PC.

This will not effect the SONY's DVR ability to time shift OTA.

And if you buy the HDFURY2 HDMI to Component converter ($150 monoprice) you should continue to be able to use you old HDTV with component inputs (I don't understand how that product is a legal HDCP device.)
post #13907 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kristol View Post

I did that. Still no clock, and my VBI channel is 4-1. I'm in the NYC area, on Comcast, so I would expect my VBI channel to be 2-1 or 13.

However, I was bad. Between steps 4 and 5, I watched TV through the DVR -- on 4-1. I'll try the procedure again today... and be good.

BTW, after I did a soft reset yesterday, I got back the ability to watch TV through the DVR. That's a big relief! I thought I might have a brick.

Thanks for your help!
Dave Kristol

Watching TV between steps 4 and 5 should not have made a difference. Also, ignore the VBI channel. This is only the last channel that you tuned. The important channels are the host channel and the clock set channel. The host channel is where you get your VBI data.

Do the following in order (don't do anything else between steps) and let me know the results:

1. Enter the 753159852 menu.

2. Go to the Section System-Statistics screen and note the Host Chan.

3. Go to the Section Other-Clocks 2 screen and note the Clock Set Chan.

4. Exit the menu.

5. Tune to the channel where you think you should be getting VBI data.

6. Run the G* Test and observe that the VBI: count is increasing (should take less than 15 seconds).

7. Exit the test. If the VBI: count did not increase repeat steps 5 & 6 using a different channel (try all CBS and PBS stations in your broadcast area until you find one broadcasting VBI data).

8. Enter the 753159852 menu again.

9. If you ran the test on a digital channel, go to the Section ATSC-ATSC Slicer screen and observe that the TVG count is increasing. Otherwise, skip this step.

10. Go to the Section Reception-Slicing 2 screen and observe that the count(s) are increasing (probably only the Dummy counts will increase).

11. Exit the menu.

12. Issue a 963214785 command. When VBI Channel Search appears in the info box, wait for a few minutes then turn the recorder off and leave it off overnight (no watching TV this time).

13. The following morning check for a clock and a channel lineup.

14. If there, you know what to do, if not, perform steps 1 through 4 again and post results.

Good luck.
post #13908 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Those have nothing to do with digital DVR like the SONY. That is for cable company early release VOD which VOD is not recordable by cable DVR anyways.

This only means you can't record the analog output of these early VOD titles to a analog DVR, VCR, DVD recorder, or new HD analog component capture card on your PC.

This will not effect the SONY's DVR ability to time shift OTA.

)

Very true "for now" but that may/could change............some have speculated this could apple to new DVR's in the future..........for example preventing your ability to record the Super Bowl (or what ever) for you own use.
post #13909 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

(I don't understand how that product is a legal HDCP device.)

HDCP is about COPY protection.

I don't now of any HD recording devices that can
take HD inputs from Component outputs. Maybe
there are some - But they are probably few and
far between. Also the Device only outputs Video,
No Audio, further complicating any copying.
post #13910 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Very true "for now" but that may/could change............some have speculated this could apple to new DVR's in the future..........for example preventing your ability to record the Super Bowl (or what ever) for you own use.

The FCC prohibits such restrictions:
Quote:

A covered entity shall not attach or embed data or information with commercial audiovisual content, or otherwise apply to, associate with, or allow such data to persist in or remain associated with such content, so as to prevent its output through any analog or digital output authorized or permitted under license, law or regulation governing such covered product.

post #13911 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

.............Also the Device only outputs Video,

The HDFury2 does have audio output capability......... "Sound output in both Analog and digital Optical through an innovative 3.5mm combo jack".

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #13912 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDCP is about COPY protection.

I don't now of any HD recording devices that can
take HD inputs from Component outputs. Maybe
there are some - But they are probably few and
far between. Also the Device only outputs Video,

HDCP devices are not supposed to allow analog access to protrected content. This device appears to violate that HDCP licensing agreement and violates the DCMA act (it defeats the digital copy protection and output a non protected HD analog signal). But you can buy it, so get them while they last.

The device has a spdif optical audio output. Also you can use the stereo analog output of your STB if you wish. Their are devices for computers as I mentioned that record HD analog signals via component. HD PVR Capture
post #13913 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

The HDFury2 does have audio output capability......... "Sound output in both Analog and digital Optical through an innovative 3.5mm combo jack".

I didn't see any audio from the MonoPrice Website
LL
post #13914 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDCP devices are not supposed to allow analog access to protrected content. This device appears to violate that HDCP licensing agreement and violates the DCMA act (it defeats the digital copy protection and output a non protected HD analog signal). But you can buy it, so get them while they last.

The device has a spdif optical audio output. Also you can use the stereo analog output of your STB if you wish. Their are devices for computers as I mentioned that record HD analog signals via component. HD PVR Capture

I knew you would find a recording Device
post #13915 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't see any audio from the MonoPrice Website

Look on the device photo to the right of the HDMI jack. You will see the audio jack. The spdif optical cables for that jack are available at various stores and have been used for years on portable minidisk players.
post #13916 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look on the device photo to the right of the HDMI jack. You will see the audio jack. The spdif optical cables for that jack are available at various stores and have been used for years on portable minidisk players.

Give me a break - I'm OLD
post #13917 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 04:34 PM

FYI - 2 500's - OTA only
FWIW
Both machines had been left on CBS 2-1 overnight for three days as I had lost 0-11 and 0-2 as hosts. I had recieved all listings and time was correct for three days.
Last night I left one on all night on 2-1 and the other I turned off.
The one left on still shows no host and fffffffd for the clock set channel but all listings are good and time is correct.
The one I turned off now has 0-2 as the host channel but has 2-1 as the clock set channel and all listings and time are correct.
As ImTheOne said, host and clock set don't have to be the same.
Will try the same thing tonight and see if the digital clock set stays.
post #13918 of 29253 Old 02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

I'm hoping the clock gets set tonight, and maybe even have a channel list in the morning.

Well, I got up this morning, but the clock was still not set . I turned the unit on, and had no channel list, then I noticed that I had ads... I haven't had ads since December, so something is working. I forced the host again, and turned the unit off, and went to work. Tonight I got home, and my clock is now set . I should also point out that this is all from a digital host. There is no analog host here any more. I still don't have a channel list, or listings, but the listings weren't there before anyway. So now I can set some manual recordings at least.

The clock thing confuses me. Before, whenever I would do a TV Guide/Exit reset it would throw off my clock by about 40 minutes. All I had to do to get it corrected was to run the G* Test on my digital host, and it would be set within 2 minutes. I thought this was a function of the 8.06.44 software, so I thought the only issue would be whether I could get back to this version of software. Although it did, I couldn't set the clock by running the G* Test and had to let it find it on its own. The clock channel is now 0:19-0, which is the RF channel for 12-1 which is my digital host channel. My host channel is currently blank.

Mark
post #13919 of 29253 Old 02-28-2009, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The FCC prohibits such restrictions:

Quote (from FCC assumed?):

"A covered entity shall not attach or embed data or information with commercial audiovisual content, or otherwise apply to, associate with, or allow such data to persist in or remain associated with such content, so as to prevent its output through any analog or digital output authorized or permitted under license, law or regulation governing such covered product".

The key words are "under license, law, or regulation governing such covered products". Simply look at how fast FCC laws, regulations, and application of the laws has changed in just the last 45 days and what is on the table to change. The FCC we have had for the last 60 years, is not the same FCC we have had for the last 45 days.

To put it very mildly the "lobbyist" are working feverously to limit what "end users" of traditional OTA is capable of and what OTA users are allowed to do or not in their own homes with OTA signals.
post #13920 of 29253 Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Watching TV between steps 4 and 5 should not have made a difference. Also, ignore the VBI channel. This is only the last channel that you tuned. The important channels are the host channel and the clock set channel. The host channel is where you get your VBI data.

Do the following in order (don't do anything else between steps) and let me know the results:

The full set of steps did not yield a working clock. So I'll give you several sets of results for different channels. Channel 2/2-1 is CBS, Channel 13/13-1 is PBS here in the NYC area. I used the full set of steps for 2-1. Here are the results for steps 1-4:
Quote:

1. Enter the 753159852 menu.

2. Go to the Section System-Statistics screen and note the Host Chan.

3. Go to the Section Other-Clocks 2 screen and note the Clock Set Chan.

4. Exit the menu.

I get VBI information on 2-1 and 13-1 and none on 2 and 13. In the G* test, 2-1 and 13-1 show VBI PASS, ATSC PASS. 2 and 13 show VBI FAIL, ATSC PASS (and the counts don't change).

In all cases, the Host Chan is blank. The Clock set Chan. is fffffffd, except the morning after the VBI Search Channel procedure (for Chan 2-1), when it is 0:0-0.

Oh, and my software version is 08:01:42. From some other recent messages here, I infer I'm in that Catch-22 situation where I can't pick up clock, because my software can't do so from a digital channel, and I can't download new software unless I have a clock.

Dave Kristol
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page