Forum Jump: 

post #17551 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

A Dish DTVPal+ converter box should also get you your channel grid (as it did for me). As a bonus, when Macrovision updates the channel lineup, you're not stuck with whatever is on the tape. On the other hand, the tape is undeniably cheaper if you already have it!

Or maybe it will actually be or become possible to go unassisted all the way from scratch (reset) to a channel grid populated with listings. I don't remember whether anyone in a digital-only environment has done this. I haven't managed it yet, although this could be because I'm OTA only, and I often have my antenna aimed away from my host channel, although I do leave it parked in that direction at least overnight.

I had to do a reset on one of my units this weekend and it reacquired the grid overnight....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17552 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

I had to do a reset on one of my units this weekend and it reacquired the grid overnight....

cheneyp,
I just want to verify that your host channel is set.

I have also reset a few times over the past month (Saturday was the last one). One time it did take about 36 hours to get the grid back, but usually it takes less than 24 hours. I don't recommend this though if you have a blank host channel. That could indicate that the TVGOS data is incomplete in your area, and you could be left with a brick.

Mark
post #17553 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
pic 7234: LineupPkt and TimezonePkt (I have lost track) I think they are still increasing?

I did take a lot of pics this morning about 6:30am. I will post more if anyone has question on specific screens, I may have a shot of it.

Pic 7230: VBI info page

Pic 7228: Clock stuff

Nothing has really changed for the last few days.

Choices are:

1. leave it alone the next few days.
2. do the zip code changer roo (last one way over a month ago I think?)
3. soft reset (last one was June 3)

Assuming I do leave it alone the next few days, I may "tune it" to something other than 11-1 CBS digital. And see if it gets downloads..........but if I do, I think it should go hunting for the 11-1?
LL
LL
LL
post #17554 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Choices are:

1. leave it alone the next few days.
2. do the zip code changer roo (last one way over a month ago I think?)
3. soft reset (last one was June 3)

Assuming I do leave it alone the next few days, I may "tune it" to something other than 11-1 CBS digital. And see if it gets downloads..........but if I do, I think it should go hunting for the 11-1?

If it was me, I would do number 2, however the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" part of me says you should do number 1. It's working so who cares that it doesn't have a host channel. I see no reason to leave it tuned to any particular channel either. There is only one source for data, so it will find it.

It is curious though, your LineupPkts are incrementing, so it seems like the data is there, I can't explain why your host channel hasn't set (other than there are apparently more pieces to the puzzle than TimezonePkts, and LineupPkts). Which is why I would do number 2, which, I believe, would start the "acquire host channel" process over.

Mark
post #17555 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 AM

Sony HDD250 for sale. This unit lost it's grid during the Feb. 2009 changeover. I have tried everything mentioned on this forum to get it back with no luck. Unit has been undated to latest Sony firmware and is showing correct time. Timezone Pkts have been increasing at appx. 9 per day and LineupPkts have been increasing at 69 per day as measured over last three days. Receiver does every task ask of it except set a grid (TV Guide spreadsheet of channel vs. programming guide based upon time). Included will be factory shipping box and remote control. First $ 300 plus $ 20 shipping inside 48 original states. I could get more on eBay and will resort to that if necessary. However, anyone who follows this forum knows how location and type of feed dependent these units are and I am selling with no guarantee that it will get a grid. Has been replaced with a DTVkPalDVR.
post #17556 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

You must be on cable and still have an analog data source.
post #17557 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

You might want to look back at some of my older posts. The 250 "shows" my digital channels as xxx.xxxx even though my Sanyo TV shows ZZ-ZZ. I always use manual recording. The few xx.x channels in my lineup are scrambled but do show in the listings. You need to supply more information about your media source in your displayed profile so I can perhaps help some more. It's that box to the left of your message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Gladly... Get it here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...50&SelectOS=25 and then follow directions therein. Be sure to use an "approved" USB drive.

I use PNY 2GB (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165609745683) and everything went through smoothly. I only had "sony" folder on the drive when doing the update.
post #17558 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

If it was me, I would do number 2, however the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" part of me says you should do number 1. It's working so who cares that it doesn't have a host channel. I see no reason to leave it tuned to any particular channel either. There is only one source for data, so it will find it.

It is curious though, your LineupPkts are incrementing, so it seems like the data is there, I can't explain why your host channel hasn't set (other than there are apparently more pieces to the puzzle than TimezonePkts, and LineupPkts). Which is why I would do number 2, which, I believe, would start the "acquire host channel" process over.

Mark

Yep I agree with what you say; I will go slow.

Right now, I think I will have it tuned to a "non" CBS digital for tonight after it records stuff.

see what happens the next morning.

and then if necessary do the zip code changer roo

I think with the local CBS having TVGOS off-line after transition for about 38 hours made it "stupid" for some reason? And it just has not figured itself out? It did take the local CBS about 72 hours to get their PSIP back "on"

It is realy sort of funny, cause the Host column on the analogue page has not increased count in a month!
post #17559 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 AM

Went away for a quick vacation, and while we were gone CBS changed its digital feed to its original VHF channel. I assume this happened on 6/12, but don't know the exact deal.

Before rescanning channels, I checked the 753... status. Clock set channel was now 0:9-0, so I guess it was able to figure that out without a rescan even though that channel was formerly analog?

HostSUFlags was now c48, which I think means that the clock was set, host ID set, and 2 of the 3 that set after a zipcode change were set, whatever they do (the 1st & 4th from the right, but not the 3rd).

Timezone packets received now showed 3, which is what it showed before I recovered a grid. Perhaps it reset itself while we were gone?

The LastDLStart showed a 6/12 time, while the LastClkSet showed a 6/15 time.

Strangely, despite all that, the grid was filled out except for day 8, which was all no listings - the same thing it had been doing consistently before 6/12.

I rescanned the channels, was pleased to find that the Silver Sensor non-VHF antenna seems to pick up VHF 7 and 9 (ABC and CBS) with very good signal strength after the move.

The next day, after the rescan, I've gotten another timezone packet (now 4 total), and the HostSUFlags is now ee8, which I think means everything is set except the 4th from the left (unknown flag) and the 2nd from the right (1 of 2 that set after a timezone packet arrives).

The LastDLStart still has a 6/12 time, and the host channel is still blank.

However, day 8 has now mostly filled in, and day 7 (yesterday's day 8) is completely filled in.

I'm pretty much scratching my head at all that, but as long as it seems to work....
post #17560 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

wait and see
post #17561 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 AM

Well, I bit the bullet. I got tired of playing with all the work arounds and decided to just download the new firmware from the Sony site after a power outage yesterday.

I had been getting mixed results since the transition from the two 250s that I have hooked up to my TV. One was not getting any new guide data and one was getting a hodge-podge of hit and miss data.

The download was painless and the install was even more painless. I was able to reach in behind the units and didn't even have to pull them out of the rack. If you have to do this blind, the USB slot is located near the bottom just to the right of the cable card slot and the USB drive inserts with the plastic alignment guard facing down.

After the installation, the clocks (which I lost yesterday due to the power outage) were immediately set to the proper time. This morning I had a full 8 days of listings on both units.

I'm done, no more stress. Yippeeeeeee... Like Phil Knight says, "just do it".
post #17562 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
They do leave you scratching your head! Even though I did the zip code change on my 250 and it reset the HostID field, it has not gotten any new time zone or lineup packets. Host channel still blank but day 8 is filled in nicely.

Oddly, day 8 on the 500 is mostly no listings. Only a few channels filled in. Still blank host and no new time packets. Hopefully, this one won't lock up again when I record on it tonight.

Otherwise all is peaceful.
post #17563 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:

cheneyp,
I just want to verify that your host channel is set.

I have also reset a few times over the past month (Saturday was the last one). One time it did take about 36 hours to get the grid back, but usually it takes less than 24 hours. I don't recommend this though if you have a blank host channel. That could indicate that the TVGOS data is incomplete in your area, and you could be left with a brick.

Mark

I had 0:45-0 (digital PBS) before the reset and it came back with the same host. This is the one unit (of the 3 I have) that I did NOT upgrade to .21 firmware. All three of mine are connected to OTA and cable (one with a cablecard). The one unit with the CC has slowly disappearing listings as it is still showing 1:0-97 as the host. Probably going to have to reset the zip code on that one to acquire the digital host.
post #17564 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post

You must be on cable and still have an analog data source.

No analog source. Came back with digital OTA host; same one it had before the reset...

My other two units had an analog cable source and they are no longer getting updated listings since Friday - going to have to do the zip code reset to get the digital host....
post #17565 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

It's only been two hours since the change.

Created some new dates, for the change, and searches; all to be expected i guess.

Both pictures tell all that has changed.

Still no host; but its been too early.

Since the Zip code change is the same DMA; perhaps the "00000" is required to do a full Zip Code Change?
LL
LL
post #17566 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Atlanta, GA - OTA Sony DHG-HDD dvrs .21 upgrade on the 250,.05 original for the 500
After the force host an both units yesterday and having them update to current listings to day 8, they still are working fine. Host channel on both units is blank (one did show 46.1 until this last force host). If I understand correctly, a blank host is the norm now for a digital only environment. In the 753 screens I see a lot of inactive reports as well as some blacklisted. Do not remember what all this means if anything.
Michael
post #17567 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Atlanta, GA - OTA Sony DHG-HDD dvrs .21 upgrade on the 250,.05 original for the 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post

Mike,
You will feel different if you do a factory reset now that your digital. In fact I dare you to do a factory reset. If you do the reset I hope you have a vcr analog tape to use after you hit the wall!!

Still have quite a few hours of shows to get done with, but when I am, I will do the full reset and such. It seems that the only people who have grid trouble live in FL. Must be the same problem as with the voting machines.
Michael
post #17568 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisMichael View Post

Still have quite a few hours of shows to get done with, but when I am, I will do the full reset and such. It seems that the only people who have grid trouble live in FL. Must be the same problem as with the voting machines.
Michael

I live in Minnesota and am still not able to get the grid on my HDD250. It does have the lattest firmware and TVGuid versions and I do get the Ads but no grid.
post #17569 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisMichael View Post

............... If I understand correctly, a blank host is the norm now for a digital only environment. In the 753 screens I see a lot of inactive reports as well as some blacklisted. Do not remember what all this means if anything.
Michael

If I understand correctly, you can get Listings with a blank HostChan, but you must have established a digital host (shown in HostChan field) in order to acquire a Channel Lineup (Grid). There appear to be many areas that still don't have all the proper TVGOS parameters being transmitted to acquire a Channel Lineup.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #17570 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Liked: 11
>> bardot861
>> Believe VBI data was being sent for last few months from CBS station - WBZ out of Boston, MA. I am in Southern Rhode Island.

I am north-west of Boston. Analog CBS WBZ 0:0-4 was my host station before the transition too. Last Friday night during the transition, I installed the new Sony firmware. I still had 8 days of good listings from analog, and now I continue to have 8 days of listings 4 days later. Good news! I also endorse the Sony firmware update.

However I don't know from where I am getting my TVGOS VBI data from. Since the Sony firmware update, not one VBI test has passed. Perhaps the firmware update breaks the test and makes it obsolete? VBI test fails on CBS WBZ analog (which used to pass), WBZ digital, and every PBS digital station.

For three days or so my host station was blank on the 753 menu. Now it says my host channel is 0:30-0.

Crazy thing is - there is NO channel 30-0 in my reception!! I am OTA only.

Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but can anyone explain how my host channel is a non-existent channel, yet I continue to get all 8 days of TVGOS listings? The debug menus are now obsolete?

(Can take more data down if you tell me which 753 fields are important).

-Erik
post #17571 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortier View Post

Sony HDD250 for sale. This unit lost it's grid during the Feb. 2009 changeover. I have tried everything mentioned on this forum to get it back with no luck. Unit has been undated to latest Sony firmware and is showing correct time. Timezone Pkts have been increasing at appx. 9 per day and LineupPkts have been increasing at 69 per day as measured over last three days. Receiver does every task ask of it except set a grid (TV Guide spreadsheet of channel vs. programming guide based upon time). Included will be factory shipping box and remote control. First $ 300 plus $ 20 shipping inside 48 original states. I could get more on eBay and will resort to that if necessary. However, anyone who follows this forum knows how location and type of feed dependent these units are and I am selling with no guarantee that it will get a grid. Has been replaced with a DTVkPalDVR.

Are you sure you've gone into the channel editor to verify that you have no grid? If all the channels are there but turned off, it will appear as if you have no grid if you just look at the main guide screen.
post #17572 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleskier View Post

....... Since the Sony firmware update, not one VBI test has passed. Perhaps the firmware update breaks the test and makes it obsolete? VBI test fails on CBS WBZ analog (which used to pass), WBZ digital, and every PBS digital station.

For three days or so my host station was blank on the 753 menu. Now it says my host channel is 0:30-0.

Crazy thing is - there is NO channel 30-0 in my reception!! I am OTA only.

You are correct, the VBI test is no longer applicable. Look instead at the ATSC Slicer screen under the 753 menu.

0:30-0 is almost certainly the physical channel number for your CBS (or possibly PBS) virtual channel. For instance, my CBS is 4.1 but they actually transmit on channel 36.

Look back over the past three or four pages for posts by mabuttra for hints about what fields to look at in the 753 menu screens.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #17573 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

You are correct, the VBI test is no longer applicable. Look instead at the ATSC Slicer screen under the 753 menu.

0:30-0 is almost certainly the physical channel number for your CBS (or possibly PBS) virtual channel. For instance, my CBS is 4.1 but they actually transmit on channel 36.

Look back over the past three or four pages for posts by mbuttra for hints about what fields to look at in the 753 menu screens.

Channel 30 is actually WBZ-TV (CBS) which is mapped to virtual channel 4.1
post #17574 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaToad View Post

I live in Minnesota and am still not able to get the grid on my HDD250. It does have the lattest firmware and TVGuid versions and I do get the Ads but no grid.

MegaToad,

Do you still have access to cable? In this message, you commented that your host channel was 1:0-4. That would be analog channel 4 on cable. It is possible that your cable company is converting the SCTE-127 data, and sending it out on analog channel 4, if that is the case, then you should be able to get back up and running from there.

Mark
post #17575 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Was wondering how often the available channel lineup for a given provider (in my case FIOS in Wash DC area) gets updated? Obviously TVGOS/Macrovision has to add any new channels but is there any action as the user I need to take to refresh my listing? Like reset zip? For a few months some of the HD channels still do not have any channel lineup allocation (some of the extreme HD ones like Hallmark HD, FX HD, WGN HD, Speed HD etc.)

Derek
post #17576 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM

I need tips and a primer on how to set up the TVGOS channel listing order from the Sony HDD500. Does one exist?

Q1: Why don't the Sony channel call letters and TVGOS channel call letters match? When I use channel up/down on the Sony, and hit INFO, I see the actual call letters of the channel I am watching (ie, "CBS WBZ-HD"). TVGOS Channel Setup has either different call letters for the same station (ie, "CBS WBZ-DT", or totally different call letters altogether (ie, "CBS WNYC-SD") as choices among its 600 channels listed.

Q2: If I have incorrect channel call letters for my (Boston-area) market, or worse still, call letters totally missing altogether, is the host channel sending incorrect TVGOS data? Is this a local station issue or Macromedia issue? Why would my actual local stations have the wrong call letters in the TVGOS channel setup, or worse, be missing altogether?

My actual situation I need help with...

I admit that I find the TVGOS channel setup to be the most needlessly frustrating (poor) user interface in years. This is likely because I just don't understand how TVGOS works yet, and thus am doing things the hard way.

Before the transition (about eight weeks ago), my HDD500 froze up on me two times (due to TVGOS data hiccups I assume) where I lost all my TVGOS listings and my channel setup. I never restored my TVGOS channel setup and left it in its default jumbled mess (all my local stations are always 6-9 pages down) even though I have been getting good TVGOS listing data since then.

Four months ago, the last time when I did set up my all TVGOS channels (hunting one by one, a mind-numbing 2 hour process), I had to manually edit a bunch of channels in the following manner :
  1. Found an existing channel that mostly matched the call letters and had same 0:4-1 channel number, moved it up to become my station I'd use (Easy)
  2. Found call letters that mostly matched, but was for analog channel number, so I manually edited it into my preferred 0:4-1 digital station (More worrisome)
  3. Found no call letters even remotely close, so I grabbed another CBS station from another market, ignored its call letters, and manually stomped over its channel number to match what it is in Boston, ie, changing Providence 0:10-1 into Boston 0:4-1 (Scary!!)
  4. Thought it was a good idea at the time, but I turned OFF all the analog stations (except 0:0-4 host channel) and all the other market stations I don't get reception for (thought I'd conserve VBI data parsing cycles)

Since the transition, I updated the Sony firmware and two-times did TVGOS re-setup where I gave it two different local ZIP codes. Now that I am continuing to (still) get TVGOS listings, it's time to painstakingly set up my TVGOS channels once again.

In doing so last night, I notice that I am totally missing all my 0:44-(1,2,3,4) PBS stations as I scroll one by one through the 600 or so listed channels. None of the call letters look even close to what the Sony INFO button correctly shows for these channels (WGBX-DT, WGBX-World, WGBX-Create, WGBX-Kids). There is no WGBX* anywhere in the 600 or so TVGOS channels listed, except for ONE old "WGBX" that is a single analog 0:0-44. No data for the other digital 0:44-(1,2,3,4) channels.

What gives? What can I do? Am I doing something wrong?

So I thought I'd be smart and use my TVGOS tip I wrote in here months ago. While watching the channel via Sony channel listing (ie, channel up/down button), I would go to my desired channel 0:44-3 "WGBX-Create" and then hit the TVGOS listing button. Hot dog - it takes you right to the channel in the TVGOS listing. It's there. It looks correct. Great! Now I just want to take this channel I have here - right there on the screen - and move it to position #1.

OK, I hit the MENU button, I see an option called "set this channel order" or something similar, I pick it, and it puts me BACK into the GENERIC TVGOS setup menu all over again, and without my WGBX-Create channel even highlighted or selected, but worse, this "WGBX*" call letter is not even amoung ANY of the 600 call letters listed, nor is any 44-3 channel in any of the 600 channels listed. IT WAS JUST THERE!! Argh!!!

What am I doing wrong?

I cannot do a factory reset, since that would wipe out the latest TVGOS firmware I got before the digital transition.

Help? Tips? Is this how you order your TVGOS channels?

-Erik
post #17577 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Channel 30 is actually WBZ-TV (CBS) which is mapped to virtual channel 4.1

Hot dog! The world makes sense again.

Thank you! It was like getting a daily Christmas present, except the tag fell off, and you didn't know who to thank for giving it to you. :-)

-Erik
post #17578 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi:
Want to thank you - and Possum Girl. And to think I was congratulating myself on bolding that line. How prescient of me - cept ...I did'nt. Looks like this takes some of the drama out of keeping these dvr's going. Now - if I don't get my thumb stuck in back of unit....
thnx. again.
Barry
post #17579 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:

MegaToad,

Do you still have access to cable? In this message, you commented that your host channel was 1:0-4. That would be analog channel 4 on cable. It is possible that your cable company is converting the SCTE-127 data, and sending it out on analog channel 4, if that is the case, then you should be able to get back up and running from there.

Mark

I am OTA only have been for years. Are other havig issues in MN? It did get the lattest Guid version and I am getting the ads so it must be locking in on somthing since I started from a factory reset.
post #17580 of 29252 Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleskier View Post

I need tips and a primer on how to set up the TVGOS channel listing order from the Sony HDD500. Does one exist?
-Erik

I see this as well. My PBS channel 8.1,2,3 show the different call signs-etc.. but only 8.1 WGTV-HD is in the channel editor. Not sure where the info screen gets its call listings, but many times I see what you have described. From what I have read in the past, Macrovision only list the most popular channels for a given area. I am led to beleive that the given area is of some size when I see stations that are no where close by. Not sure how they determine all this and why or how some channels that clearly do not belong get stuck in the editor.
Guess it would be too much of a nightmare to cluster the stations better for a given transmitting area. So I guess we are out of luck with a quick fixx. Perhaps at sometime down the road when things all get routine and working smoothly, that Macrovision will update the channel list for each area. We may have to(probably) email them to get so action. I will wait to do so till late summer if all continues to go well with the operation of these boxes.
Michael
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page