Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Merc, I don't think you will be sorry. SO far this unit is working as described. It is ashame that some people can't get the TV Guide downloaded. I know if that happened to me it would be going back as defective. I don't know what Replay GUI looks like. My CAble company's Moto 6208 GUI is alot to be desired...The TV Guide is colorful, informative, and relative easy to navigate for myself.

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

merc, I have the same issue as you do. My wife loves our 3 ReplayTV's. I hacked two of them and have 160hr and 250 hr "5040's". I sure wish DNNA would make HD units! Guide is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc View Post

Well.... I just couldn't help myself and bought one of these units.

It will arrive on Friday, and I'll make sure I pick up my cablecard on Thursday.

Guess I should take my wife on a mini-vacation on Saturday, as she requested, in order to keep the peace in case this unit sucks compared to our ReplayTV DVRs???

post #153 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover View Post

It was a HiDef 16x9 recording onto a DVD. It was recorded squeezed to 4x3 and the stretched on playback to restore widescreen format. It took almost no hit in quality.

That is good news. I have used an old HD tuner on an NTSC set in the basement. The HD stations look incredible, especially when I am far enough away to not see the scan lines. Anything sourced in HD still looks good downrezd. Your HD recording must look like a really good film/DVD transer, which is pretty darn good. Lew
post #154 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Nathan,

I appreciate your opinion, but you speak like someone who doesn't have either a Tivo/ReplayTV, or, a Samsung 165/DVHS combo.

You are very intuitive.

My point of view is that I have never paid to watch television, and I've never paid for a guide type service (ie. TIVO). The tvguide system seems more like a freebie than an absolute must from my standpoint. Remember, ignorance is bliss.

I think some of the early reports were a little too harsh on the sony unit itself. It's not so much that the Sony deck is having problems, but the tvguide service and accessing that is fidgity. It obviously does work, that's not really up for discussion. The real question is how does the tvguide service work, and is it reliable or not? And that is something sony doesn't have any control over.

Is anyone claiming they have another tvguide powered device that works perfect, but fails to work with their new sony deck? That might mean something.
post #155 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Well, I paid around $350 each(average) for my three 3060 ReplayTV DVRs, and they came with lifetime guides included... although usually, the lifetime guides cost extra on both Tivo and Replay units. Still, in this case you get what you should pay for, as the Replay and Tivo guides are wonderful, accurate and make using the unit very, very easy. And... there are no ads on the guides so you can see a few hours at a time on the screen.

For $1000, I'd expect that the Sony would include a guide at least as good as the ones on the Tivos and ReplayTVs??? Of course, doing that would decrease their profitabilty on the item since I'd guess that the TV Guide is free to them since it includes the ability to bombard us with ads every time we look at the guide?
post #156 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post

The real question is how does the tvguide service work, and is it reliable or not?

Yes, that's the million dollar question for sure. Hopefully someone will figure it out and let the rest of us know.

I had the guide working for a couple of days and then I messed with it editing and reordering the channels. Grrrr! Now I have "No Listing" showing on every channel. Can't seem to find the solution. Sony says to pull the plug for a minute and try again. Who knows, I'll give it a try tonight. I have the analog station that transmits guide data enabled and in the guide. Don't know what else I can try. Any suggestions?
post #157 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 02:47 PM

How do you know which channel has the guide on it???
post #158 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 03:08 PM

Quote:

How do you know which channel has the guide on it???

Everyone keeps saying PBS transmits it, but I dunno. Probably worth googling.

Just found this, haven't read yet. TV Guide On Screen.

Not sure it provides any new data, though it does mention frequency and duration of OTA transmissions. Why some people are failing to get them though isn't clear. It's probably dependent on the region and who is "in charge" of transmitting.
post #159 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 03:16 PM

Don't assume it's PBS. In Milwaukee, it's the local UPN station (WCGV).
post #160 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post

Don't assume it's PBS. In Milwaukee, it's the local UPN station (WCGV).

How'd you find that out? It seems like someone wasn't getting any data, but then added their local station that transmits the data, and then they started to receive the guide. I'm too lazy too look back through the post though.

Man, all this talk is making me want to buy one and test it out, haha.
post #161 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 03:19 PM

I just did the unplug routine and the box went through a pretty lengthy reboot process showing "Welcome..." on the LED display. However it didn't prompt me with the setup routine again. It retained my zipcode and other setup information. We'll see tomorrow morning what effect it may have had.
post #162 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:

How'd you find that out? It seems like someone wasn't getting any data, but then added their local station that transmits they data, and then they started to receive the guide. I'm too lazy too look back through the post though.

Man, all this talk is making me want to buy one and test it out, haha.

I think the post you're referring to was regarding the LG3410.

We have a local web site for HDTV http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/ and there are technicians from some of the local stations that post there. One is from WCGV and he posts quite often regarding technical stuff. He was telling us about the guide data inserter and how it runs 24x7 and the data is on line 17 of the vertical interval.

That's not to say that PBS doesn't also transmit. I wonder what problems that might cause if two local stations are transmitting the guide data. Hmmmm.....
post #163 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 PM

Check out this site. It has a decent description of how the system works from a high-level.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp...&sid=-1&aid=79
post #164 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:

You are very intuitive.

It's not so much that the Sony deck is having problems, but the tvguide service and accessing that is fidgity. It obviously does work, that's not really up for discussion. .

Oh it's up for discussion, trust me. It seems to work sometimes in some places on some systems. But yes, it's not a Sony 'specific' problem as the Sound & Vision reviewer found out when the TV Guide within the Toshiba DLP failed to provide info. This issue is way too widespread for this software to be considered even remotely reliable.

I returned the Sony for fear of being past the return period when something else happened via the TV Guide. Once I went back to the SA 8300, all of a sudden it didn't seem so bad. I think the Sony could be a very nice piece with the proper software.
post #165 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Liked: 16
I sent mine back also. I respect Sony for trying to provide a device that would not have any monthly fees for the programming guide. But unfortunately, if you can't get the guide data OTA or from your cable company, the Sony DVR's are not worth the price.

Too bad TV Guide does not provide an alternate method for receiving the guide. Since they provide the guide to the broadcasting stations via VPN over the internet, it seems feasible that they should provide the consumer the option up updating the guide data over the internet.
post #166 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 07:08 PM

andydrew, sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I agree that they should have other options available to download the TV Guide system...With the open USB port, too bad we can't use a USB memory stick to pull the info off our home computer then upload it via the unit USB port...A question to SOny I believe!!!

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
post #167 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydrew View Post

Too bad TV Guide does not provide an alternate method for receiving the guide. Since they provide the guide to the broadcasting stations via VPN over the internet, it seems feasible that they should provide the consumer the option up updating the guide data over the internet.

Actually, Sony probably could have if they wanted to. My old ATI All-IN-WONDER Radeon uses the GemStar/TV Guide Data. You had to have a net connection to get the guide listings.

Alan
post #168 of 29273 Old 05-24-2005, 10:36 PM

Quote:

kong,

I was amazed that Cablecard rental here on TWC is ONLY $1.75 a month??? Can that possibly be true?

Cablecard rental here ( Chicago Comcast ) is only $0.00 and is considered part of cable service, as it should be. A digital "cable" box has a $5 rental fee associated with it, it you need one.
post #169 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 04:58 AM

HDTV box rental here is $7 a month.
post #170 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with internet guide data. Our Replaytv's are perfect and even get show time changes. It would be great if there was an internet link that updated each day. Time on our Replay's is perfect as well.

I guess Sony may have a lot of open box specials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydrew View Post

I sent mine back also. I respect Sony for trying to provide a device that would not have any monthly fees for the programming guide. But unfortunately, if you can't get the guide data OTA or from your cable company, the Sony DVR's are not worth the price.

post #171 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 12:52 PM

Any updates from people that actually got the tvguide data to work? Is it staying updated for all 8 days out?
post #172 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

I just re-read this thread. There are 6442 hits on 171 posts from 40 different posters. There seems to be 5 units working with some degree of satisfaction owned by: Kong, GBrock, O+lsl, Ozeyeo and Stork3000. Merc expects his friday? MarkRubin, AndyDrew, and Ken Ross sent theirs back, and BenDover said he cancelled his order.

I may have missed some info, but that's most of it.

Is there anyone else that actually has one of these? and if it's you, please tell us how it's working for you.

Lew
post #173 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Any updates from people that actually got the tvguide data to work? Is it staying updated for all 8 days out?

Mine is updated until 3:00am Thursday morning...I am going to check out the guide later this evening...I won't be able to get the Cablecard until mid-June(expensive month!!!).

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
post #174 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

lewlew, I checked with NW Sony Only and my Qualia salesman is going to see about getting one and seeing how it works on cable.

Dave....up the street from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew View Post

I just re-read this thread. There are 6442 hits on 171 posts from 40 different posters. There seems to be 5 units working with some degree of satisfaction owned by: Kong, GBrock, O+lsl, Ozeyeo and Stork3000. Merc expects his friday? MarkRubin, AndyDrew, and Ken Ross sent theirs back, and BenDover said he cancelled his order.

I may have missed some info, but that's most of it.

Is there anyone else that actually has one of these? and if it's you, please tell us how it's working for you.

Lew

post #175 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 06:07 PM

TV Guide updated until Friday 3:00am...It seems to be only getting 3 days worth of guide info. I am not complaining, maybe that is what is being transmitted from the towers.

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
post #176 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Still no luck here. Talked to Sony support again today. They're escalating my issue to a "technical" group. I told them I want to force a complete reset of the unit to erase all configuration info. One guy I spoke to says it definately has a service menu that would allow one to do this. It would also allow access to the Gemstar module for monitoring the download process and any errors that could be occurring. He said thay haven't posted the tech manual yet, so he doesn't know the keystrokes to get in. He says the units are so new, there's hardly any support solutions in the knowlege base. They're going to have a different person from their "product technical group" call me tomorrow. Hopefully they'll help me get the guide reset and operating again. It hasn't been fun getting through the "layers" of customer support, but I think I'm getting close to the "technical" people that should be able to help.

I also placed a call and sent an email to an engineer at the local TV station that provides the guide data in their broadcast. I want to make sure their Gemstar encoder is online. I could certainly be barking up the wrong tree if the data is not in the stream.

If I learn any reset or service menu codes, I'll be sure to post them here.

Also, if anyone has figured out any service menu access codes on their own, I'm all ears.
post #177 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 08:34 PM

dlhoppe,

In the manual on page 83, just above "lost password", it states that pressing the front panel EXIT and TV GUIDE buttons will reset the unit.

Cynthia
post #178 of 29273 Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew View Post

Lew

Just thought I would update folks on how things are going with the recorder. Since getting my guide info a couple days ago, it has been filling in slowly but surely. I think I have around 4 days of stuff now. Several blocks I had to turn on myself (Encore, ESPN-HD, among others). Others (notably TNT-HD and my PBS-HD) I must tune manually as there are no entries for them in the channels I can assign.

I also mentioned in previous threads that I had trouble tuning stations in my HBO block with my CableCARD. I was last chalking that up to signal issues. Well, today a couple techs came out and cleared up my signal issues...I am receiving quite a strong signal now. However, HBO channels still will not decode. The symptoms are the same as before: either a black screen or a few frames of video folowed by a freeze frame. The diagnostic on those channels now show a "Good" digital cable signal (around 87%).

My cable provider now suspects Sony -- so I imagine I have entered the first stages of being a go between them in order to figure out what's wrong. I can get by without those channels for now, but in the long run, I'll have trouble convincing my wife that we can live without HBO on that set.
post #179 of 29273 Old 05-26-2005, 05:34 AM

Well, my Sony has arrived at out local Fed-Ex office, so I guess I'll go and pick it up later today after picking up a cablecard at the TWC office.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed....
post #180 of 29273 Old 05-26-2005, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynKennard View Post

dlhoppe,

In the manual on page 83, just above "lost password", it states that pressing the front panel EXIT and TV GUIDE buttons will reset the unit.

Cynthia

Thanks Cynthia. I saw that and tried it before. It's the same as pulling the power cord. It doesn't clear any configuration or guide data from the unit.

Just as a note, I noticed I have guide data for most of this Friday and Saturday. I saw this yesterday and when I looked this morning, no change. I was hoping the guide was starting to fill in. Hopefully the tech will help me if he calls today.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread - m401i-a3 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page