AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

Good news, clock is up.

That is very good news. Have you checked your clock set channel in the 753... menu?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 151
no but it should be the local PBS.

MickinCT
Old 03-31-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no but it should be the local PBS.

WEDH, WEDN, or WEDY? Someday that might be important.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Wedh........

MickinCT
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Wedh........

Did it just start working over Cable, or did you hook up an antenna today?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
Old 03-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Just hooked up ant. tried cable no longer working on that, kept unit on for 2 days hoping it would find sig no luck crapcast must not be putting signal out? I had this unit boxed up for more than a year, not using it this is the last of my DHG units I had 6 ie 250-500 ver. of these at one time sold all of them but this one, just wanted to see if it was still working alright. it was 2 years ago on cable not now.

MickinCT
Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

THIS one has the SD slot http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DHG-HDD...item1c25867ca9

MickinCT
Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
kwg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's curious that a "proto/pre-production" unit shows up again around april fools...

I didn't find a trail to connect the 2 units but I did find negative feedback for the sale last year:

seller: waterbed43
the item was listed as new but it had damage to it and was not operational
Sony HD DVR New in Box with Remote and Manual (#130502718060)
buyer: philsbmw3
US $241.38
Apr-11-11 15:30
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

And ten years is just around the corner and nothing better and cheaper has come along.

I am still waiting for the DHG 12000. 12T of data storage, and 12 digital tuners, that wirelessly fills the house with 1080p and HD audio............and my price point is $49.99

No, but at $189.00 it would make some sense. If the world of cablecard had actually found traction and taken off, we'd have a choice here. Instead the "content providers" have wangled a world where owning your own video recorder is somehow suspect and they all live on someone else's string. We end up with junk DVR from the cableco with horrid listing software and no reason to improve. The HDD is so much better than the 8300, tvgos aside. With one exception there is NO mass market DVR you can buy-and even they require a subscription for the unit to work. (accept that the channelmaster and dish dvr are not mass market, even if they are known HERE)

"I've never seen one of these before", said my CATV installer last year.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Just hooked up ant. tried cable no longer working on that, kept unit on for 2 days hoping it would find sig no luck crapcast must not be putting signal out? I had this unit boxed up for more than a year, not using it this is the last of my DHG units I had 6 ie 250-500 ver. of these at one time sold all of them but this one, just wanted to see if it was still working alright. it was 2 years ago on cable not now.

I tell you what, why dont you box it up and I'll take care of disposing it for you.
I'll send you my mailing address and even pay for the shipping costs.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With a clock it is easy to make recordings. Even with a bad clock you can use the WS conversion. On one unit 8 miles away I am getting 99% bad data. It took a week to get a clock, but I could record with that. I fed it some VHS tapes just to get a grid, some listings and the 08.06.44 TVGOS patch that should help if data ever gets working again. I have small hope for that.

At my house there is no data since yesterday. Cable company is clueless. I had to spell TVGOS for them.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a (what looks like) a pretty new HDD500 on eBay for the next 6 days. If you're looking.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No DPPs in five days?

HostSUFlag stays at 0xfd8

the end is near?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No DPPs in five days?

HostSUFlag stays at 0xfd8

the end is near?

I have had NO data for 10 days. My cable company says they are waiting for parts. I sent email to Rovi but no answer. The sky is getting darker.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Um? It might be gone?

Still no DPPs and now Days 7 and 8 show mostly "No Title". Maybe only 5% filled in for those 2 days.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Um? It might be gone?

Still no DPPs and now Days 7 and 8 show mostly "No Title". Maybe only 5% filled in for those 2 days.

You are seeing what I get from the unit I have installed at my mother's house. The data is bad but some gets fixed. Jed1 is also in this special place. Rovi has a ticket for this, but it may not be their fault. For now I just wait and hope the power doesn't fail longer than my UPS can hold out.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 52
A pair of 250's just got listed on fleabay for $450 buy it now.
These are not mine as I bought a brand new 250 last year for 500 as I recall.
$225 each is not too bad a price.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

You are seeing what I get from the unit I have installed at my mother's house. The data is bad but some gets fixed. Jed1 is also in this special place. Rovi has a ticket for this, but it may not be their fault. For now I just wait and hope the power doesn't fail longer than my UPS can hold out.

In a couple of more days, I will send a note to the station. It is beginning to look like only a tiny amount of data comes through. Perhaps they knocked the inserter off the shelf?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In a couple of more days, I will send a note to the station. It is beginning to look like only a tiny amount of data comes through. Perhaps they knocked the inserter off the shelf?

Don't wait. I called my cable company. They sent a tech out and it took an hour to explain my problem. The real trick is finding the person at the feed who knows what the inserter is and what it does. I'm still analog, and the tech never heard of the VBI.

This morning one unit locked up when powered on. It was sluggish the last two days. A front panel reset worked but now the clock is 31 minutes slow. Patience is needed.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I just checked it again before leaving..........after 7 days or so, it finally started to get data again and all 8 days filled in. Host channel set at 6:45am GMT last night. And it got 7 DPPs last night.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I expect it to reset again when we get back......wind has been up to 40mph the last 36 hours and should be the next 24 hours........and the lights have already flickered, enough to make the UPS on the computer whistle; but not yet reset the Sony.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joe, getting anything yet? Still have the grid, but no data. I also had to reset and clock is 11 minutes slow. Missing a lot of the last minute of shows....sucks.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post

Joe, getting anything yet? Still have the grid, but no data. I also had to reset and clock is 11 minutes slow. Missing a lot of the last minute of shows....sucks.

No, still no data. But my problem is very local and I get only legacy data. If KYW is not sending out TVGOS it might explain why I stopped getting their data as well, should that even be a physical possibility.

You did send Rovi an email, right? I got my response after a week saying they know they have a problem with my zip code.

I do only manual recording, so a clock off a few minutes is easy to fix. My youngest unit has drifted a few seconds fast. You can adjust the start and stop offsets for all shows with setup.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

While gone the last 36 hours, the storms knocked out the power. All data is coming in, so no harm done. The power was off long enough even the Flat Screen had to be set up. LOL

I do not remember if it waits till it goes to NumSearch "1" or if it will set HostID again tonight.
LL
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post

Update: I now have legacy packets. They have moved to vsb 12, QVC and are 50% "fixed". Listings are changing and no telling if they are finished messing things up. I sent Rovi another email.

I have no data on my KYW channel either. Patience.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The NYC DMA is currently stable, and we are happy for it. I think the TVGOS listings are generally better than the Tribune-sourced TV listings from Cablevision.

My Downstairs, OTA only unit, despite the head-end TVGOS reset, kept the channels, all OTA, in proper order, and when listings and grid returned, the channels were in order.

The upstairs unit, OTA and cable card, with OTA providing listings (no tvgos on the cable system), is another thing entirely. I have a mess of listings, some impossible, like Comedy Central over the air. Scrolling down a few dozen, I find it again listed, but under "cable". Prior to the master reset, I'd finally gotten the TVGOS list accurate-and it was great to have a grid of only what you actually watch...after reset, it was again a randomized mashup, which I've again had to re organize.

The question...why did unit one have no real issue where unit two went nuts ? Could it be that the OTA choices are lots smaller than the "cableco" choices ? There are over six hundred listings, potentially. Kind of amazing.

I'm not getting too compulsive this time. My cable co is going to full digital, so I'm sure there's more shuffling to go on. They just offered "free for the first year" converter boxes. I'm sure they are eagerly anticipating revenue from all those garage and kitchen tv sets that had been "free" all these years. The notices that have gone out sort of hint that cablecard or digital tuners will still work but "you NEED this for FULL function", while remaining vague about it. I'm keeping the analog set till shutoff, then seeing what the digital tuner set gets. I don't care about PPV.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post

The NYC DMA is currently stable, and we are happy for it. I think the TVGOS listings are generally better than the Tribune-sourced TV listings from Cablevision.

The question...why did unit one have no real issue where unit two went nuts ? Could it be that the OTA choices are lots smaller than the "cableco" choices ? There are over six hundred listings, potentially. Kind of amazing.

I've done both trimming channels and no trimming channels with no observable effects. Smartest thing is to do nothing like you said. I do arrange them in a logical physical order, with the host as channel position 1.

When I turned on unit #2 today (after packets resumed) it displayed the frequency and then froze, same thing as #1 that I reset. This time I went to #3 to check its condition and it was fine and had moved its clock set channel. Then I noticed that #2 was fine. It took over 2 minutes to boot. I went to #1 and saw that my new clock set channel was "disabled" with TVGOS yet the Sony found the signal. Legacy data is still crap, but I wonder if I had waited a few minutes if I could have avoided the front panel reset. Maybe next time.

Trivial issue. I often find my OTA channels turned on in the channel editor. Not by me. I always turn them off.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

No, still no data. But my problem is very local and I get only legacy data. If KYW is not sending out TVGOS it might explain why I stopped getting their data as well, should that even be a physical possibility.

You did send Rovi an email, right? I got my response after a week saying they know they have a problem with my zip code.

I do only manual recording, so a clock off a few minutes is easy to fix. My youngest unit has drifted a few seconds fast. You can adjust the start and stop offsets for all shows with setup.

I didn't conatact rovi, but I did call my cable company. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly until after I started talking. Oh, well...lesson learned. But next time I have an hour to kill I'll keep them in mind.

I'm assuming since rovi said it's a problem in your zip code that it exits at the main station and is not a local inserter issue, anyway. Like you said...patience....
Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Joe,
FYI, I use KYW TVGOS OTA and my listings are fine (the usual spotty no-listings out toward the last day or two, but otherwise populated).
Frank

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv