Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 827 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok, it did clear out Host Channel, and went to NumSearch 1 quickly. All data coming in, so Host Channel Set should be back in 24 hours.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

Joe,
FYI, I use KYW TVGOS OTA and my listings are fine (the usual spotty no-listings out toward the last day or two, but otherwise populated).
Frank

Thanks for the update. At least I have a clock now.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstur View Post

I didn't conatact rovi, but I did call my cable company. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly until after I started talking. Oh, well...lesson learned. But next time I have an hour to kill I'll keep them in mind.

I'm assuming since rovi said it's a problem in your zip code that it exits at the main station and is not a local inserter issue, anyway. Like you said...patience....

I don't know what a main station would be. My inserter feeds several zipcodes and not all share the same lineup. I still get asked (after a reset) to select a specific feed by the DHG. I had the same type of question asked by my TV (TVGOS V10) and TiVo (with or without a cable card). Those two get their data from the internet.

Send Rovi an email.

Rovi CE Support: CE_customer_support@rovicorp.com
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

No Cigar
LL
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

My first daytime Host Channel Set since the transition - not the normal 6:45/7:45 GMT
LL
Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

My first daytime Host Channel Set since the transition - not the normal 6:45/7:45 GMT

Color me with envy.

I am trading emails with the headend supervisor, but no host set. At least I have a clock.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HDD500 has been working better than it ever has since I upgraded the firmware to meet the digital conversion. It has been over a year and the unit and grid have been flawless. Not one single lockup, even the unit seems more responsive to the remote. Yesterday, I noticed the grid was empty NOLISTING for the 1st time since the firmware upgrade. I have Comcast in the DC MD suburbs PG COUNTY. My clock is 15 minutes behind, and I have a blank HOST CHANNEL. The VBI test failed. At least I can still use it , but it was nice to have full functionality for a year.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfounder View Post

The HDD500 has been working better than it ever has since I upgraded the firmware to meet the digital conversion. It has been over a year and the unit and grid have been flawless. Not one single lockup, even the unit seems more responsive to the remote. Yesterday, I noticed the grid was empty NOLISTING for the 1st time since the firmware upgrade. I have Comcast in the DC MD suburbs PG COUNTY. My clock is 15 minutes behind, and I have a blank HOST CHANNEL. The VBI test failed. At least I can still use it , but it was nice to have full functionality for a year.

As cable people, we have an extra burden. Start by checking the clocks2 screen. there should be a failing and good clock set channel. Maybe you can still see what channel your data was on before the failure. Second check is Reset, two screens to the right will show the reset of the DHG as a 7000 entry. Only 15 minutes late is not the end of the world unless you want it to be.

My TVGOS is pretty messed up right now since my headend is not so good at finding my problem. Best thing to do is NOTHING. If the host moved, the DHG can find it but it might take a few days. If you now have a digital host, it could take longer. Don't do any resets or other bad things. If you have done the 9012 test you may have lost the stored clock channel. Using .21 firmware can get you the 08.02.44 TVGOS update from a digital host but it's not needed for an analog legacy host.

Patience. Send an email to your feed. Ask them if TVGOS is bad. Send one to Rovi too.

I have had 4 decimal place channel numbers for over four years. Not a problem with .13 firmware and manual recording.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

As cable people, we have an extra burden. Start by checking the clocks2 screen. there should be a failing and good clock set channel. Maybe you can still see what channel your data was on before the failure. Second check is Reset, two screens to the right will show the reboot of the DHG as a 7001 entry. Only 15 minutes late is not the end of the world unless you want it to be.

My TVGOS is pretty messed up right now since my headend is not so good at finding my problem. Best thing to do is NOTHING. If the host moved, the DHG can find it but it might take a few days. If you now have a digital host, it could take longer. Don't do any resets or other bad things. If you have done the 9012 test you may have lost the stored clock channel. Using .21 firmware can get you the 08.02.44 TVGOS update from a digital host but it's not needed for an analog legacy host.

Patience. Send an email to your feed. Ask them if TVGOS is bad. Send one to Rovi too.

I have had 4 decimal place channel numbers for over four years. Not a problem with .13 firmware and manual recording.

I did the .21 upgrade last year as the TVGOS went digital. I know it takes longer. It took a week to populate the grid. I have not done a reset and will wait it out and record manually.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfounder View Post

I did the .21 upgrade last year as the TVGOS went digital. I know it takes longer. It took a week to populate the grid. I have not done a reset and will wait it out and record manually.

You're lucky to have a digital inserter. The reset event page will indicate something and doesn't get cleared without a full factory restore. Events that happen before the clock is set have a date of 1/1/90.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

6:45 gmt
LL
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I have difficulty believing this is in stock:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=SPM2569014901
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

What does the Artec T3APR-T Digital to Analog Converter Box you linked to at sears have to do with this thread?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

What does the Artec T3APR-T Digital to Analog Converter Box you linked to at sears have to do with this thread?

It's a method to acquire a version of TVGOS that will allow listings to be acquired from a digital source. If you search the thread for "Artec" there are 390 posts.

I use VHS tape.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Wow, almost $120! I think they were in the $50 ballpark shortly after the digital transition.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Wow, almost $120! I think they were in the $50 ballpark shortly after the digital transition.

And I think with the Fed coupon and some other little incentive I bought one for $25.

Saw a TV show the other night and a carton of cigs is about $175 in New York; back in the 60's that was $2.

This last year alone Tide went up 70% here. Please don't get me started or I will lose it
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

And I think with the Fed coupon and some other little incentive I bought one for $25.

Saw a TV show the other night and a carton of cigs is about $175 in New York; back in the 60's that was $2.

This last year alone Tide went up 70% here. Please don't get me started or I will lose it

But there is no inflation...the government says so ! Just remove items like gas, things most of us don't use and can easily substitute for.

With the price crash of HDTV sets...I recently saw 32 inches for $299-there's probably no, or a limited market, for these. I have a huge Sony Trinitron, probably the high point of CRT tech, which I feed with the HDD 250 by RGB, so the downscaled HD looks spectacular for 480i format.

Other than the fact this is a secondary set, it works and weights 160 pounds in a dedicated piece of furniture, there would otherwise be zero reason to keep it...

I don't think I've seen any converter boxes in my local CE stores. At digital transition, HD sets were still quite a bit more expensive than now, but that market is gone. Our need for this box makes up .00000000000001% of the market.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 79
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21988148

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
Old 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

It looks like that this post was deleted.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

I actually just bought one of these in January in the hope that I could get TVGOS from WHP using an antenna. Unfortunately the legacy stream doesn't work only TVG1. What a waste of time and money.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Old 05-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

It looks like that this post was deleted.

Yes, I see that it has been. It was a post by a new user, just registered today, and had two names and email addresses (along with one phone number) for technical contacts at Rovi. The poster claimed that these contacts had the power to fix TVGOS problems. Unfortunately I didn't print or copy the post, I just linked to it here. I had no reason to believe it would disappear so soon . . .

They consider THIS

Old 05-05-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

It's a method to acquire a version of TVGOS that will allow listings to be acquired from a digital source. If you search the thread for "Artec" there are 390 posts.

I use VHS tape.

Does the Artec somehow convert the digital TVGOS data stream into the older analog TVGOS format? Maybe it would help the LG LST-3410A folks breathe new life into their DVR's?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the Artec somehow convert the digital TVGOS data stream into the older analog TVGOS format? Maybe it would help the LG LST-3410A folks breathe new life into their DVR's?

No. The LST-3410a uses TVGOS V7 and I found it very unstable with V8. I have a 3410a and without TVGOS it works just fine. It also has a manual clock set ability. I understand there may still be V7 feeds. You could check the 3410a thread. There is no difference in the PQ of a 3410a and a DHG on my cable feed. Also, I sometimes get bad XDS data on my PBS and Fox channels which may have been a problem, but I cut the cap to block TVGOS and that stopped the problems (and the guide).

When my PBS station stopped TVGOS and XDS, I migrated to the DHG. I have no regrets. As for the Artec, I never had one and my memory of how it is used may not be accurate. There are posts in this thread that explain that.

It is my understanding that TVGOS needs software 08.02.44 to receive digital data. The Artec and my tapes allow a DHG to get to that update level. Since I have only legacy data it's not really required. My listing data packets are crap at this time, but I still get clock data.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.

On station to station, back to Dusseldorf city - meet Iggy Pop, and David Bowie.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the Artec somehow convert the digital TVGOS data stream into the older analog TVGOS format?

During the first 18 months or so after the transition, the digital stream in Houston was not bubbly enough to get a Grid in a strictly digital world. The Artec would allow me to get one, and then I could remove it and continue to receiving listings in that Grid. So at that time the Artec would take whatever digital TVGOS I was getting and also make a perfectly happy analogue TVGOS stream for the Sony DHG. At one point this was even advertised as such on the Rovi web site to make your Sony work - but there were only a few places in the USA that it worked.

Generally during that time frame the non-bubbly-fied format prevented the normal obtainment of data bits 1, 2, and 3; with data bit 2 being the biggest offender. These bits were known as the Unknowns. Thanks Mark.

During the last year Rovi has changed the mix so that now a bubbly-fied stream is produced that the Sony DHG can now process in a strictly digital way without the use of an Artec (or other magical methods).

During this last month the bubbly-mix has been changed again (at least in Houston). And from my perspective the Sony DHG works better than ever. I have not had memory go out of balance in the last 5-6 NumSearch(s). Something it use to do all the time here. That is not to say it won't, just that it has not yet.

If you Google Rovi Sony Contract (as others have posted), there appears to be some new activity. And I think Sony has now gotten very aggressive with plans for TotalGuide (the TVGOS replacement ?). There is talk of Guide data for both cable and OTA (Yeah) as well as internet provided guide data. No mention that I see of Guide via OTA for certain. Even with all these new license powers that Sony has obtained there was a mention that Sony does not yet know what they may do with it from a market standpoint; some comment about they do not want to offend their cable company friends. UGH

IMO the world of the DVR should leave the 18th century and enter the 21st century. The technology part is easy; the legal part is not. I hope Sony can do something. They may again decide to forgo the USA market. We could be stuck in the 18th century forever.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM
kwg

Quote:

You can access this message via Google. Use: "cache:URL".
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Thread Ender

^^

Maybe you can, if you know how to do it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do it.

They consider THIS

Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

^^

Maybe you can, if you know how to do it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do it.

I have a copy of the post if you really want to read it. I don't know the poster or why it was posted.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Thread Ender

It's not so much that I want to read it, it's just that I thought it was good information to have (if it was in fact "good" information). Again the poster was new, and that was his only post, and it was strange that the post mysteriously disappeared . . .

They consider THIS

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM
kwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

^^

In google, copy&paste with the quotes:
"cache:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21988148#post21988148"

Press Enter to search.

Then select the URL in (under google, not here!):
Results for cache:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21988148 (without quotes)

I don't know why the quotes are needed initially...

See also
http://www.searchengineshowdown.com/.../archive.shtml
Finding Old Web Pages

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv