Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post

This message happens with both DHG's. The cable provider has been contacted and they claim that the reason a recording can't be made because the programs are copyrighted and can be transferred to a DVD. They can't explain why it doesn't happen all of the time. As we know the DHG can't transfer (copy) content to any device.

I too had trouble finding someone who didn't just give me stock answers. Even the TiVo can record copyrighted material; it just doesn't allow copying those files over to an external drive.

- Kerry

TiVo Premiere w/2TB internal upgrade and Lifetime Service. Sony DHG-HDD250 retired in 6/13: CableCARD, 1.2.13 firmware, reset weekday & time as needed with 147412356 code. (further time adjustments by the "Izzy method")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Yes i've done it hdmi in 5.1 1080. IT IS doable.

MickinCT
Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 450
That's not what they're talking about. A CableCard DVR won't let you transfer the original TS of a copy-once program to another device. Playing the episode and capturing the video output in realtime with a capture card is a different procedure.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Playing the episode and capturing the video output in realtime with a capture card is a different procedure. That is how I do it , with the colossus card to pc via hdmi then burn to blu-ray.

MickinCT
Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

Playing the episode and capturing the video output in realtime with a capture card is a different procedure. That is how I do it , with the colossus card to pc via hdmi then burn to blu-ray.

I stand corrected. (or brought up-to-date) But yes, it is a different topic; slotkar is being blocked from recording to the DVR in the first place.

- Kerry

TiVo Premiere w/2TB internal upgrade and Lifetime Service. Sony DHG-HDD250 retired in 6/13: CableCARD, 1.2.13 firmware, reset weekday & time as needed with 147412356 code. (further time adjustments by the "Izzy method")
Old 05-01-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post

Does anyone here get a message stating:

Recording stopped

Recording not permitted by service provider.

on the DHG through your cable service?

I have received this message. It is bogus. The part about stopping is true. The reason given is not useful. Your cable provider is not doing anything to cause this. There is nothing in the cable signal that is causing this.

I do believe this only occurs for those of us with cable cards.

Generally, a front panel reset has cleared this issue for me. I had not seen this until after "upgrading" to firmware version 1.2.21

Many here have recommended dropping back to firmware version 1.2.13

YMMV
Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Steady DHG recording for me as well. Never reset and am only a day behind real time. It's been working fine in our household so far, plus keeps everyone's memory and math skills sharp. smile.gif
Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Just checking in LOL

Have not logged in for a very long time.

We still use the DHG with the .21 stuff. Of course patches are not there now etc. We use it as the "third" tuner, what TiVo cannot handle

It works ok, about once a month it will lock up and the only thing that makes it work again it to "unplug" for a reset.

We have to set recording to 4-5 hours to catch most shows because our math is so bad. LOL
Old 05-17-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Just checking in LOL

Have not logged in for a very long time.

We still use the DHG with the .21 stuff. Of course patches are not there now etc. We use it as the "third" tuner, what TiVo cannot handle

It works ok, about once a month it will lock up and the only thing that makes it work again it to "unplug" for a reset.

We have to set recording to 4-5 hours to catch most shows because our math is so bad. LOL

It's nice to hear from you. I moved last November and kept one DHG running. After setting the zipcode to 00000 It has never locked up or needed a reset. I usually pick a program and let it record a season. I have the correct time and day of week so it's easy.

The real work is done by a pair of TiVos.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Not much activity on the threads for these older machines. I have both my Sony DHG 250 & 500 plugged in, but I haven't used them in months since I lost my QAM cable. My OTA reception is marginal at best, making recording difficult. The 500 likes to lock up frequently, for no apparent reason. The 250 is more reliable, but having to calculate the correct time just to use it is annoying.
Early in the year I scored a Channel Master CM 7400 on Ebay for a very cheap price. I've been using that in my main setup, leaving the DHG 500 dormant.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post

Not much activity on the threads for these older machines. I have both my Sony DHG 250 & 500 plugged in, but I haven't used them in months since I lost my QAM cable. My OTA reception is marginal at best, making recording difficult. The 500 likes to lock up frequently, for no apparent reason. The 250 is more reliable, but having to calculate the correct time just to use it is annoying.
Early in the year I scored a Channel Master CM 7400 on Ebay for a very cheap price. I've been using that in my main setup, leaving the DHG 500 dormant.

But if you have no QAM, and marginal OTA, may I ask WHAT you are recording??? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

But if you have no QAM, and marginal OTA, may I ask WHAT you are recording??? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Well.... what I meant by "marginal" is that my OTA reception is weak during the winter, and anytime it rains, snows, is windy or sometimes just cloudy, the reception is unreliable. However, during warmer weather it's acceptable. For four years I've had two DTV PAL dvr's that work very well. Then in recent years I acquired the two Sony DHG machines, which worked equally as well when TV Guide was still in existence. After the demise of TV Guide, the Sonys were serviceable as long as they were connected to cable QAM, but then my QAM went the way of the dodo bird. I adjusted, but noticed the Sony tuners were not as sensitive as my other equipment. The Channel Master CM 7400 is a good replacement since it takes it's clock signal from the Internet. But I do subscribe to basic cable with a standalone cable box, and when my cable co eliminated QAM, they sent me these digital transport adapters for free, that will tune in what used to be analog and QAM channels. Plus my extensive arsenal of DVD recorders. So I'm not always able to record High Definition programming, but I manage to make do with what I have.
One thing is for sure, I absolutely refuse to get involved with building an HTPC, or acquiring any type of TIVO. And, my cable co's cable cards do
not support the Sony machines.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
but having to calculate the correct time just to use it is annoying...

Sony has an app for Android that does the calculations for you just FYI. Recorder calculator.

I'm not a big TV watcher but I do have an Xbox One that had a built in OneGuide that pulls channel information from online which is the feature I miss the most outside of the DVR. I'm going to hook the 250 up to my Xbox tonight to see how it works. If anyone is interested I'll report back later.

"Now that's how you supposed to drive!"
Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

So far it works pretty good with the exception of some channel mapping. I can even pause and rewind live tv and can control the recorded shows playback through the Xbox.

I'm thinking that a cable card might solve the problem with the channel mapping. Anyone have any experience with a cable card (without reading through 1200 pages of this thread)?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2014, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post

So far it works pretty good with the exception of some channel mapping. I can even pause and rewind live tv and can control the recorded shows playback through the Xbox.

I'm thinking that a cable card might solve the problem with the channel mapping. Anyone have any experience with a cable card (without reading through 1200 pages of this thread)?

Thanks
I had the same success using Sony Google TV and the Buddy TV Guide App. I have cable cards (Single Stream Scientific Atlanta) on both of my DHG's 250/500 and the app allows you to add all your Favorite HD channels to the Guide and SD channels.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

I had the same success using Sony Google TV and the Buddy TV Guide App. I have cable cards (Single Stream Scientific Atlanta) on both of my DHG's 250/500 and the app allows you to add all your Favorite HD channels to the Guide and SD channels.

Izzy,

Do the higher channels tune correctly (above 125) and do they map channel to channel with the cable card (2->2 instead of 2->2.1)? I know I'm missing out on some of the channels I'm capable of receiving but the limits of the tuner in the 250 as is has always been a hindrance.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post

Izzy,

Do the higher channels tune correctly (above 125) and do they map channel to channel with the cable card (2->2 instead of 2->2.1)? I know I'm missing out on some of the channels I'm capable of receiving but the limits of the tuner in the 250 as is has always been a hindrance.

Thanks.
As you probably know by now anolog TV channels may no longer be available in most areas, so without a cable card channel 2 CBS is 2.1, 4 NBC is 4.1, 5 FOX is 5.1 etc. You can go to TitanTV http://www.titantv.com/Default.aspx and see all your channels mapped with cable card. Most HD channels in my lineup map out in the 700's, so yes with a single stream card you can tune past the 125 anolog channel limitations.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok,

I think a cable card is in my immediate future then!

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The highest channel a DHG can tune is 1023.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:21 PM

"As you probably know by now anolog TV channels may no longer be available in most areas, so without a cable card channel 2 CBS is 2.1, 4 NBC is 4.1, 5 FOX is 5.1 etc. You can go to TitanTV http://www.titantv.com/Default.aspx and see all your channels mapped with cable card. Most HD channels in my lineup map out in the 700's, so yes with a single stream card you can tune past the 125 anolog channel limitations."

Izzy900: sounds like you have the same setup I do with Time Warner Cable ? My HD channels are all in the 700's, i.e. CBS is 702, NBC is 704, etc. However, in my area (NYC) that's all about to change.
I've been notified (to add icing on the already depleted cake) that Time Warner is changing the channel lineup, it seems HD programming will move up to the 1200's, if I'm reading the notice correctly.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post

Izzy900: sounds like you have the same setup I do with Time Warner Cable ? My HD channels are all in the 700's, i.e. CBS is 702, NBC is 704, etc. However, in my area (NYC) that's all about to change.
I've been notified (to add icing on the already depleted cake) that Time Warner is changing the channel lineup, it seems HD programming will move up to the 1200's, if I'm reading the notice correctly.

I have Cablevision and with cable card my DVR can tune to channel1997. I would not read in too much to the channel lineup changes as the cable card will allow you to tune in to the new channels. You may have some instances where your DVR may reboot on it's own for the new channels to take. Sometimes just pulling the cablecard out (say no to channel scan with card out) and reinserting it will do the job.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi everyone. It has been awhile.

Update:

All is still 'Sailing with Smoothness' with my 250.

I reset it every 4-to-6 weeks.

Vizio has been sending out a software update to its TVs, and now has a Device Pairing Menu, which includes the Sony DHG250/500 units! It works, but I unpaired mine because I couldn't figure out how to bring up the TV's Menu with Vizio's remote. It would just bring up the Sony 250 Menu.

I'll just keep using the 250's remote.

(Now using FireFox 30. IE9 now rarely used. I may get IE10 for rare use.)

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 33.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 07-04-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Thread Ender

Wow . . .

They consider THIS

Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Not so smooth for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
[SIZE=4]Hi everyone. It has been awhile.

Update:

All is still 'Sailing with Smoothness' with my 250.

I reset it every 4-to-6 weeks.

I use both my 250 and 500 models with TW cable cards, and outdoor antenna.
The 250 lost the guide just before the service ended and the 500 still has it. With the 250, I have to pull the cable card to program most cable channels but can set the precise start and end times. With the 500, I set the start and stop times with the guide but I generally have to set program time in 30 minute steps.

I leave both units on all the time and they reset every so often even when I'm not touching them. Sometimes they reset when I send commands too rapidly.

Each time that happens, I have to use the reset method to get the correct time again, and completely reprogram since every entry becomes delayed by a day.

Just a few days ago, I had to reset time on both units because of a momentary power dropout.

While I dislike having to reset the time, I find it much better than the alternative of using a calculator to set recordings since I can often recognize a recording by channel and record time.

Ray
Old 07-08-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1938 View Post
I use both my 250 and 500 models with TW cable cards, and outdoor antenna.
The 250 lost the guide just before the service ended and the 500 still has it. With the 250, I have to pull the cable card to program most cable channels but can set the precise start and end times. With the 500, I set the start and stop times with the guide but I generally have to set program time in 30 minute steps.

I leave both units on all the time and they reset every so often even when I'm not touching them. Sometimes they reset when I send commands too rapidly.

Each time that happens, I have to use the reset method to get the correct time again, and completely reprogram since every entry becomes delayed by a day.

Just a few days ago, I had to reset time on both units because of a momentary power dropout.

While I dislike having to reset the time, I find it much better than the alternative of using a calculator to set recordings since I can often recognize a recording by channel and record time.

Ray
Resets are the price you pay to keep the guide. I have had one unit running for a year without a reset by setting the zipcode to 00000.

I have a VCR to set the clock twice a year. That and a UPS reduces the work to a very low level.

I record about three programs a week, usually a whole season. There are several 10-episode short season that are best, like 24 and Extant. I can recognize a program by day. Anything else goes onto the TiVo.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Resets are the price you pay to keep the guide. I have had one unit running for a year without a reset by setting the zipcode to 00000.

I have a VCR to set the clock twice a year. That and a UPS reduces the work to a very low level.

I record about three programs a week, usually a whole season. There are several 10-episode short season that are best, like 24 and Extant. I can recognize a program by day. Anything else goes onto the TiVo.
Both my units are set to the zero zipcode but apparently that didn't eliminate my reset events. A UPS wouldn't be that useful here in Los Angeles since power outages are rare.
I just remembered that even without a reset problem, the time has to be reset more than twice a year to adjust for both the actual daylight savings time, and for the built-in daylight savings time change.
Ray
Old 07-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1938 View Post
Both my units are set to the zero zipcode but apparently that didn't eliminate my reset events...
I always found that the DHG's with CableCards were much more prone to spontaneous resets than those without CableCards. YMMV

They consider THIS

Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

"I always found that the DHG's with CableCards were much more prone to spontaneous resets than those without CableCards. YMMV"

With or without the TVGOS Reset that wipes the patches?

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 33.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Patches don't matter anymore. My unit has a DST change date in 2011, and a run year of 2013, so all I need to set is the time & date twice a year. Funny, I did a FP reset last month to see what would happen. My FP clock came on.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
"As you probably know by now anolog TV channels may no longer be available in most areas, so without a cable card channel 2 CBS is 2.1, 4 NBC is 4.1, 5 FOX is 5.1 etc. You can go to TitanTV http://www.titantv.com/Default.aspx and see all your channels mapped with cable card. Most HD channels in my lineup map out in the 700's, so yes with a single stream card you can tune past the 125 anolog channel limitations."

I have Cablevision. They pass HD signals as 2.1, 4.1, etc. They pass local channels too, (public access) but with intentionally bizarre numbers (99.124, 99.185). They come in clear QAM, only the OTA channels. So, even though analog is gone, and the Cable Co is using this to make sure you now have to rent a box for $8 per month forever per set, you will probably still get clear QAM for the OTA channels. Everything else is scrambled. If you get the HD with Cablecard, you get 702, 704, etc, but if you hook up the QAM tuner, you get them as 2.1, 4.1, etc. We cut all CATV service, keeping phone and internet....but we still get the OTA channels in clear QAM. I think the FCC requires this in most markets, save NYC and a few other cities.....sorry.

My TiVo won't work on the "free" QAM channels, because it can't match the guide and the 2.1 or 4.1, and you can't trick the guide into using the OTA guide.....whereas the Sony will do this.

Short answer, most folks will still get clear OTA via QAM even if they shut off cable, provided they still have some service to the home. I cut the cord last week, but with OTA (which is good for my sony boxes and the Tivos) and Hulu plus for the three cable shows I actually watched.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv