Views:	583
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	325673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Live TV - Pause Function Desc.PNG
Views:	582
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	325681  

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Win7 Pro and FireFox 33 on Desktop.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 10-22-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Image disappeared due to no attachments
post #29313 of 29332 Old 11-06-2014, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Forgot about the Clock Change this past weekend. Recordings were off for Sunday's programs.

Made a 1-hour-ahead adjustment to my Scheduled Programs until I did my Thursday AM Reset.

Upon updating the Schedule times and dates, I ran into that 'Channel Not In Lineup' problem again. Solved it by exiting menu, changing to that channel, and editing the Scheduled Program then it worked.

Strange in that I edited a Monday and Tuesday program for The Voice and forgot to properly set the date for Tuesday's program. I had it set up for Monday.

This made my other Monday setup disappear from the Scheduled Recording List. In the past, I've must have done this before, and couldn't figure why some Scheduled Recordings had gone 'missing'.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YNG - TVGOS Gone.gif
Views:	479
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	352242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony DHG-HDD250-500  -  'Sorry' with Remote.png
Views:	482
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	352258  
Attached Images

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Win7 Pro and FireFox 33 on Desktop.
post #29314 of 29332 Old 11-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

So does all this mean your SAILS are in TATTERS?

You're GIVING UP on the DHG??

It's CURTAINS???
mabuttra likes this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #29315 of 29332 Old 11-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It's CURTAINS???

Nah. That image I just posted was made shortly after TVGOS died.

It's SMOOTH SAILING as usual, minus the occasional icebergs I run into.

You are a funny character.

KerryNY likes this.

- Pj
post #29316 of 29332 Old 11-06-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It's CURTAINS???

I have to admit that after using a two tuner TiVo Premiere for almost two years, I just bought a four tuner TiVo Roamio. I moved the Premiere to the living room TV, and put the Roamio on the basement TV. Then last Sunday, I pulled the plug on the unused Sony DHG for the last time, and took it out to the electronics recycle pile in the garage. I just couldn't justify keeping the Sony which has only been used as a clock for the last year or so. I guess I'll have to try to get by with only six tuners to choose from. I still have the DTVPal hooked up, but its days are also probably numbered.
post #29317 of 29332 Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post
I just couldn't justify keeping the Sony which has only been used as a clock for the last year or so.
You were using the DVR notorious for having a clock you can't set exclusively as a timepiece? Is that the DVR equivalent of the blind leading the blind?
post #29318 of 29332 Old 11-07-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I know how you both feel. I have two TiVo small units, and there isn't as many conflicts this fall, so the DHG is unplugged. I look at the DHG, VCR, and box of tapes. Then I ask myself if the space can be used better.
post #29319 of 29332 Old 11-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
.... I guess I'll have to try to get by with only six tuners to choose from . . .
I've still got you beat.. EIGHT tuners total on my 4 Premieres!

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #29320 of 29332 Old 11-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I have to admit that after using a two tuner TiVo Premiere for almost two years, I just bought a four tuner TiVo Roamio. I moved the Premiere to the living room TV, and put the Roamio on the basement TV. Then last Sunday, I pulled the plug on the unused Sony DHG for the last time, and took it out to the electronics recycle pile in the garage. I just couldn't justify keeping the Sony which has only been used as a clock for the last year or so. I guess I'll have to try to get by with only six tuners to choose from. I still have the DTVPal hooked up, but its days are also probably numbered.
Mark, my husband bought me a Roamio Pro for my birthday and, after learning about MoCA networks, I decided to set one up and added a TiVo Mini in the bedroom. We've since sold both Premieres and added a second Mini on the porch. It's like having the Roamio in all 3 rooms at once.

The DHG is still plugged in but only connected to the OTA antenna in case our cable goes out (which isn't very often). It really should be recycled, and although I still can't bring myself to do it the day is probably approaching.

After using the networked Roamio for a few months I can't even believe that I was using the DHG exclusively just 2 years ago. Things are so much better now.

My best to everyone.

Size matters not ...

Last edited by mac24; 11-07-2014 at 09:40 AM.
post #29321 of 29332 Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Waiting till they die !

I'm still using both DHG units. While most of the heavy recording is done by Tivo, I still have one SD TV fed via RGB, and I use the other DHG for the buffer function. I don't record anymore from them, but the downconverted 480i is very good even at 480 on the Trinitrons.

I'm amazed the HD is still working......I figure it is all free till something dies...then I'll buy a new HD set, as they've come down to about what I paid for the DHG alone...and it is only going to be OTA from that connection anyway.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #29322 of 29332 Old 11-08-2014, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[QUOTE=speedlaw;28862370]I'm still using both DHG units. While most of the heavy recording is done by Tivo, I still have one SD TV fed via RGB, and I use the other DHG for the buffer function. I don't record anymore from them, but the downconverted 480i is very good even at 480 on the Trinitrons.

The more I read the recent post the more this is looking like a TIVO forum instead of a Sony DHG forum....
Sony has no one to blame for this but themselves. Had they updated the firmware to correct the clock issue on these wonderful units and a few minor tweaks to allow use to edit recording names, many users would not be recycling them...
Instead Sony's answer to it's loyal customers was an (Cr)app time calculator that a Junior High School science student could have written...
What a shame to be recycling such well built units....
On the TIVO theme I also bought a TIVO, latter model HD XL with 1TB HDD with lifetime subscription on EBAY for 300. And even though they are not getting the firmware upgrades that the Premiere's and Romios have to their user interface, it's good enough for me. The fact they record on time and you can extend the recording times to catch any clipped endings is a plus. Other than that I still use my 2 DHG's for backups and overflow. What I like about the Sony's is the fact that you can commercial skip for a minute or longer, on the TIVO the best you can do is 30 sec skips revealed on TIVO forums. And of course you can transfer your recordings to your PC for editing and burning if you chose. So its a Plus for TIVO and Minus for Sony for abandonment....
Tivo won the War, Sony lost this battle....
post #29323 of 29332 Old 11-08-2014, 11:16 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post
It really should be recycled, and although I still can't bring myself to do it the day is probably approaching.
Mine is unplugged, but I see no reason to toss something that can still be more useful than the standard "tuner box" that the cable company charges for. At least the DHG can still pause live TV, or easily allow a program to be recorded in real time. I live alone, and only use one television now, but when I find use for a another, the DHG will likely be connected to that. (unless I experience a substantial increase in wealth)

- Kerry

TiVo Premiere w/2TB internal upgrade and Lifetime Service. Sony DHG-HDD250 retired in 6/13: CableCARD, 1.2.13 firmware, reset weekday & time as needed with 147412356 code. (further time adjustments by the "Izzy method")
post #29324 of 29332 Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Instead of the TiVo route, I went with the MOXI HD DVR after retiring my DHG. Currently have two 3-tuner Moxi DVR's (6 tuners total) and four Moxi Mates in various rooms. Similar to the TiVo Roamio and mini setup.
post #29325 of 29332 Old 11-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Liked: 66
[quote=izzy900;28880546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post
Sony has no one to blame for this but themselves. Had they updated the firmware to correct the clock issue on these wonderful units and a few minor tweaks to allow use to edit recording names, many users would not be recycling them...
Instead Sony's answer to it's loyal customers was an (Cr)app time calculator that a Junior High School science student could have written...
What a shame to be recycling such well built units....
So its a Plus for TIVO and Minus for Sony for abandonment....
Tivo won the War, Sony lost this battle....
While pretty much spot-on, I will respectfully disagree with our friend Izzy on a couple of points.

As stated previously, I remain unconvinced that Sony engineers had access (legal or not) to the 3rd Party Gemstar software to implement a clock set or program edit capability. But for arguments sake, let's say they did. My impression from those who contribute to this thread is that you're all are pretty tech-savvy - much more so that me anyway. Had you been setting up manual recordings and editing program names (you don't just "type" them - you have to arrow to each letter and press "select" - a real pain) on a single-tuner DVR for the last 18 months, my guess is that most of you would have moved on anyway - and probably ended up with the same equipment that you have now. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll let me know.

You may have thought the calculator app to be an insufficient response, but the simple truth is that there were not that many DHG units still in service and another corporate investment in an 8-year old obsolete (by 2013 standards) product probably didn't make economic sense. These days Sony is more of a media company than electronics, and I'm much more upset that they sold off their Vaio line (great laptops - I'm typing on one now) than I am with how they reacted to discontinued TVGOS.

Yes it's too bad these are being recycled, but an 8-year lifespan for home electronics these days isn't all that bad. DVD recorders were a hot item for 3 years, then were obsolete within months. Think of how many still-functional tube TV's, CRT monitors, and VHS units have been recycled - or are waiting to be. That's just the way it is with technology.

And yes, TiVo won the DVR war with Sony, but not because the Guide was discontinued. In the early days of the DVR, TiVo and Sony were involved in a joint venture. The original TiVo units from 1999 to about 2002 were actually sold by Sony, and carried the Sony name. Sony developed the DHG after the companies parted ways. When I learned the DHG was discontinued, I quickly located one on closeout at Best Buy - and when I picked it up I clearly remember the salesperson telling me they were being discontinued due to a legal dispute with TiVo that Sony did not want to pursue. I have no proof of this, but it does make some sense given that the companies had a prior arrangement.

So the war was not lost in 2013, but in 2005 before it ever really got started.

mabuttra likes this.

Size matters not ...
post #29326 of 29332 Old 11-11-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[quote=mac24;28954026]
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post

While pretty much spot-on, I will respectfully disagree with our friend Izzy on a couple of points.

As stated previously, I remain unconvinced that Sony engineers had access (legal or not) to the 3rd Party Gemstar software to implement a clock set or program edit capability. But for arguments sake, let's say they did. My impression from those who contribute to this thread is that you're all are pretty tech-savvy - much more so that me anyway. Had you been setting up manual recordings and editing program names (you don't just "type" them - you have to arrow to each letter and press "select" - a real pain) on a single-tuner DVR for the last 18 months, my guess is that most of you would have moved on anyway - and probably ended up with the same equipment that you have now. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll let me know.

You may have thought the calculator app to be an insufficient response, but the simple truth is that there were not that many DHG units still in service and another corporate investment in an 8-year old obsolete (by 2013 standards) product probably didn't make economic sense. These days Sony is more of a media company than electronics, and I'm much more upset that they sold off their Vaio line (great laptops - I'm typing on one now) than I am with how they reacted to discontinued TVGOS.

Yes it's too bad these are being recycled, but an 8-year lifespan for home electronics these days isn't all that bad. DVD recorders were a hot item for 3 years, then were obsolete within months. Think of how many still-functional tube TV's, CRT monitors, and VHS units have been recycled - or are waiting to be. That's just the way it is with technology.

And yes, TiVo won the DVR war with Sony, but not because the Guide was discontinued. In the early days of the DVR, TiVo and Sony were involved in a joint venture. The original TiVo units from 1999 to about 2002 were actually sold by Sony, and carried the Sony name. Sony developed the DHG after the companies parted ways. When I learned the DHG was discontinued, I quickly located one on closeout at Best Buy - and when I picked it up I clearly remember the salesperson telling me they were being discontinued due to a legal dispute with TiVo that Sony did not want to pursue. I have no proof of this, but it does make some sense given that the companies had a prior arrangement.

So the war was not lost in 2013, but in 2005 before it ever really got started.

Well said. One of the reasons I wasn't as upset as some people were about the demise of TVGOS, is that I bought my DHG off of ebay in 2006, knowing that the digital transition was going to happen in 2009, and that the DHG probably wouldn't be usable after that. I also knew that the DHG had been discontinued, and the future for it was unpredictable. I figured I would use the DHG for three years, and by then maybe something better would be out. I was surprised when I discovered that the DHG would be able to use the digital TVGOS. I got almost four more years use from it than I thought I would when I bought it.

Mark
post #29327 of 29332 Old 11-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I too suspect that Sony stopped producing the DHG because of potential litigation.

I use three DHGs, two with cable cards. My daughter gave me the third one, with which I did the TV Guide reset. In doing so, I lost the time display, and the list of recordings has a different format. On the plus side, I can make cable recordings without having to first pull out the cable card.

Once in a while, I have to reset the clock, which now is easy to do. Knowing the record time, along with channel and day makes it easy for me to identify stuff.

It was nice having the tv guide, but without it, the DHG is still far superior to the stack of VCR cassettes.

I plan to continue using these units for as long as they work.

One of the things Sony did right was the choice of Hard Drive since the one in my first DHG has been running continuously for over 9 years.

Ray
post #29328 of 29332 Old 11-17-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Made the switch - Tivo was not as immeditaely superior as I expected it to be

I had yet-another 12+ hour power outage in the wind storm last week, and it’s not even winter yet. I’ve had it.

So lack of DHG clock has pushed me into the dark side – I bought a used Series3 Tivo. Then on cue, I had a second power outage right after getting the Tivo up and running, quickly proving it was the right choice.

It’s been very interesting seeing how the other ‘better’ half lives. The ‘superior’ so-good-you-will-gladly-pay-extra-monthly-for-it Tivo versus the ‘lowly’ Sony DHG with free TVGOS. Tivo is not as awesome as I imagined all these years, nor was our little ole DHG such a second class citizen after all.

It’s still early days for me with the Tivo so far, but I already have some first-time use impressions.

Currently the score is DHG:18 Tivo:4 (with another 5 points currently in the swing state)

The DHG features you took for granted…

Things Sony DHG did better than Tivo:
  1. The Tivo runs HOT! It requires a PC-style fan in back to keep the chipset cool. You can hear whenever the chipset does any work at all (such as updating the season pass) as it makes the fan spin up wildly. Ever time I move the cabinet the Tivo sits in, the darn thing spins up its fan (motion detection?). In comparison, the DHG runs very cool (did it even have a fan? If it did, you never heard it)
  2. Worst still, the Tivo fan in back is VERY NOISY! When it spins up – which it did for two days straight at the start of system reset and again for two days after the second power outage, the fan is so shrieking loud that you cannot have a conversation in the living room. Is an F16 taking off in the room? No, it’s just the Tivo doing a little CPU work. (The SO threatened to throw it out the window on the first night)
    - I will end up replacing this fan with a quieter model if I can find one.
  3. DHG has MUCH QUIETER disk drives than Tivo – hearing the constant click clack of the head moving on the Tivo drives is very noticeable across the large living room and bothers me. EVEN IN STANDBY – this disk is still in constant use. In comparison, the DHG drives seem only a quarter as loud where it is hard to notice a disk drive sound without looking for it.
  4. Tivo is missing any POWER BUTTON! Neither on the remote or on the box. Are you kidding me? The lack of a power button on the Tivo really bothers me! To put the Tivo into a slightly-less-power-hog mode where the two tuners aren’t both 24/7 broadcasting to the (turned off) TV… you have to navigate through multiple menu key clicks - every time you ‘turn off’ the TV and Tivo. That’s NUTS – and will drive me nuts – every night I watch TV. DHG had a standby power button on both the remote and the unit itself. I get up and turn the physical TV power switch off on the TV, power button off on Receiver, power button off on DHG… Tivo… oh wait… no button… to turn Tivo into standby… you have to navigate many clicks via the remote – they discourage you – and the worldwide user community – from trying to save any power less than full-bore everything-everywhere-full-on.
    - I haven’t put my KilloWatt on the Tivo yet (would have to endure another two days of fan noise) but am curious how little standby saves that Tivo would encourage users to leave ALL of it at full power, including the two tuners broadcasting and recording, LEDs, etc. That’s got to be more than a few watts worth. When you turn the receiver on, you hear that Tivo has been actively broadcasting both video and audio all night as its default. Really Tivo?
  5. Tivo pretends to be dumb – or that you are dumb. What is disk space?? Disk space doesn’t exist! Hey Tivo, I just deleted 15 shows, so tell me, how much disk space did I just clear? You know, that little feeling of satisfaction you get when you cleared up space? Tivo says “I won’t tell you!” Hey Tivo, I just set up & recorded 50 season pass shows, it’s been a week now, how is my season pass setup doing? How full is the disk already? When will I start losing “delete for space” shows out of the trash bin? How many of my “keep until I delete” shows have already filled the disk at this point? Hey Tivo, when will I start missing the new shows not being recorded because I might have more “keep until I delete” than I should because I recorded too much via Season Pass? Tivo pretends such questions and concepts do not exist. Like a banana republic dictator, it struggles to keep you ignorant and in the dark. NO. SUCH. THING. DISK SPACE. DOES NOT COMPUTE. DANGER. DANGER.
    - How do I get around this on Tivo? There must be some patch that shows free vs. used space? MUST! Right?
  6. Tivo does not allow you to set the recording defaults – they’re fixed! Really? On DHG my standard is “keep until I delete” for all my shows that matter, which is 90% of what I schedule, where 10% of shows like nightly news are the ‘fodder’ that can be deleted when needed. DHG lets me set the default options to match my recording tastes. How luxurious, who knew? On Tivo, it wants to encourage you into letting it delete all your shows by default. DICTATOR. For every show in the season pass (56 so far), I have to enter the special ‘change options’ menu and adjust each of the three recording options – that’s THREE times for EACH and every show! (No, Tivo, keep until I delete; No, Tivo, keep all episodes; No, Tivo, keep first run only). It gets old fast. Clearly the Dictator does not want you doing this.
  7. No front panel clock on Tivo, are you kidding me? So now I finally have a real clock that works again within my entertainment center (we used DHG clock as the one clock in the room) – yet Tivo does not display it? The gods must be trying to drive me crazy. Break his TVGOS clock, give him Tivo clock, but then don’t display it. Who built this thing?
    - The Tivo Settings Menu only lets you turn off the front panel LEDs.
    - Looks like there is space for a clock display on the front panel – is there a Tivo patch that turns the front panel clock on??? Hope so!! None found yet.
  8. No front panel display scroll for the title of the current show?? Another ‘luxury’ feature that the ‘lesser’ DHG did have. Other viewers who walked into the room could see this was Nova or Independent Lens (etc), but not on Tivo.
  9. Tivo remote has horrible tendency to double-click every press – picking the wrong choices and sending you off the screen in some, no many, cases. Driving me nuts – seems a Romper Room remote made for kids.
    - Is there a fix for this? The buttons on the peanut-remote seem big, squashy and kid-like. When you finally press it hard enough to register your press, it gives you two clicks, one on way down and one on way up. Extremely annoying. The DHG remote feels cleaner.
    - Tivo put the pause button between the RR and FF?? It should have been the play button. Instead you have to hit the smaller play button above which does not seem ergonomic. I keep hitting pause by mistake to take it out of FF.
  10. The 8-seconds backwards button and FF button are fixed time intervals on Tivo, versus programmable on DHG (another DHG ‘luxury’). The 8-second button is a waste, does nothing, you have to hit it 8+ times just to get any movement meaningful to back before commercial end. Whereas on DHG I had BACK set to 1-minute (or was it 30-seconds) to get back before the commercial break. Easy, one press. Luxury.
  11. DHG has FF of 90x, whereas Tivo is only 60x. Tivo FF seems much slower by comparison.
  12. Tivo only lets you to start recording UP to TEN minutes before the show as its MAX? Nuts. It should have the same minus-3 hours option for recording before the show as it does after the show.
    - There goes my capturing the 1:30 hour of pre-game hype and analysis before every Pats game, that the ‘lesser’ DHG allowed with aplomb.
  13. Live TV on Tivo can only be paused for only a SHORT scant 30 minutes? Already had a case where that was not long enough .. paused a LIVE TV show for a phone call, by time got back, 30 min window expired, your show pause-point is gone! On DHG I had it set to record the last 1:30 hour, so I could go backward for context to get news stories or ballgames if something big happened live. Surprised how much I already miss this.
    - Live TV on DHG is superior – will likely keep this as my prime way to watch live TV.
    - And on DHG, you also get the channel up/down button right there on front of the unit – walk-up easy as you hold the kitchen prep pot and knife – imagine that - unlike Tivo.
  14. The whole Tivo ‘delete-what-when’ scheme is apparently based on the listing order of your schedule shows. Yet it is hard to know exactly what shows and at exactly what multiple daily show times each show will trump the others on your list. In my 55+ season pass shows, I’ve already had unintended shows cancel others lower on the list out. Worst of all, for being the apparent heart of their system where you’d spend the most time - for every third show you adjust, Tivo says “wait” for a ungodly amount of time before it lets you continue sorting the rest of the shows (three at a time). This can take hours. No, Tivo, how about you let me make all my changes in one swath – since my time is more precious – and then you make all the updates AFTER. But no – you sit there waiting in dead silence as TiVo ‘thinks’ and says “WAIT”.
  15. And while you’re stuck doing that all night (moving shows up/down), the Tivo menu screen is NOT transparent where you get to see the live TV show in the background (as DHG does in all its menus, PIP no less) – no – you’re stuck on a dead menu screen for hours at end trying to fine tune the show ordering in the season pass list in complete radio silence. Where the double-clicks on the remote drive you nuts.
  16. Something I never noticed but did on DHG a LOT – I would press the One-minute skip ahead button while in 90x FF – to fly over break periods even faster. On Tivo, doing this brings you immediately to the end of the show. Another way that FF on Tivo seems much slower than on DHG.
  17. This is killer – there is no way to add “go to” chapter marks into the video you’re watching? Are you kidding me? This is the superior product? I used this feature all the time on DHG – to mark the big moment in the show – to mark the spot in the show where they had the exact perfect paint color for your SO – etc – to go back to the spot right after the show – or a year from now. Used this all the time in countless ways – very surprised Tivo does not have anything similar.
    - Or do they? Haven’t found it yet.
  18. The dreaded Yellow Exclamation points! Without any ability to know how much disk space is free, you live in dread of all the yellow exclamation points on ALL your new just-recorded shows: “Oh no, yellow, Dad, is Tivo really going to delete my XYZ show we just taped last night?” I have no idea. Disk could be full, or disk could be empty, or your show could go at any minute. How does that make you feel? You feel ‘chained’ to the Tivo trying to rescue all the exclamation point shows before they are deleted. This is fun?!?

Things I’m in the middle on (jury still out):
  1. Season Pass - Seeing as how Tivo was promoted as being how the “better side lived” for so long, I expected much more in its “so good you’ll pay for it” feature set. If I set up a season pass for “Modern Family”, I thought it’d be smart enough to find every MF episode showing across every channel I get, compare the titles already recorded on the disk, and record the new one if I already don’t have it. It doesn’t seem to be that slick – despite all the CPU heat it generates. Instead it just records a season pass of a show on that ONE channel only. So I have to set up multiple season passes for EACH channel it is on in both first run and syndication. Given their list-order paradigm – this could be good or bad – so jury is still out for now.
  2. I thought Tivo had a much better live sense for when shows run over (which is the whole reason for shelling out an expensive monthly ‘internet-live’ Guide charge). I had a season pass for “Sunday Night Sports Xtra” which appears every Sunday after the Patriots game. Instead it somehow recorded 30 minutes earlier on the newscast, as if it only went by the static downloaded guide (like TVGOS did), versus a live internet-provided “hold on, the show went over” signal. I expected too much. Their guide is the same as the free TVGOS, no more, no extra features. OK, fine. Call it equal. Except I’m paying for it.
  3. Channel 2-1 Greater Boston first run show is 7pm. Using Season Pass with “first run only”, I can’t get Tivo to stop recording the 12am re-broadcast on 2-1 later that same night. I want the 7pm Greater Boston first run ahead of other shows, so I have to put it high on the order list, but then I miss out on the other 12am show I’d rather record instead of the Greater Boston repeat – the “first run only” doesn’t seem to be working on Tivo. This schedule scheme is klunky. I might have to end up using the manual recording option … like on dead-TVGOS DHG … how ironic.
  4. There’s another daily show that uses its Friday night time slot as a special recap for the week. Normally on DHG I just recorded the Friday show. However with Tivo Season Pass, I can’t figure out how to get it to record just Friday only and skip the Mon-Thur shows. On DGH – it’s easy - you have the daily vs. weekly setting that allowed me to record Friday only – simple & perfect. Tivo season pass has less scheduling options than DHG? Really?
  5. I expected I could set up and record Netflix streaming shows on the Tivo app while I was at work – so that my slow DSL buffering delays would be hidden and that I could watch the show without delays already stored on the hard disk – no such luck – same as watching it live on my PC – no difference – what a shame. Not a Tivo value add. But not on DHG either – so a wash.

Things Tivo did better than Sony DHG:
  1. IT HAS A WORKING CLOCK (so unfortunately Tivo beats DHG on this one point alone in this Rovi-killed-TVGOS era). Sad really.
  2. Apart from the very noisy fan that everyone in the house has to withstand for two days upon power up, Tivo does survive power outages fine. See working clock.
  3. Tivo gives you its iconic little ‘doo-dupe’ sound effects whenever you hit the FF or other buttons – half the family likes them, other half hates them. DHG is silent on key presses (less child-like than Tivo interfaces).
  4. Having a trash bin to restore recently-deleted-but-not-yet-actually-deleted shows from is nice. DHG trusts you meant the deletion and it’s instantly gone forever.

So now having had both – it’s clear that I would have still kept buying the DHG over Tivo - if only the DHG still had a working Guide and working Clock today.

While I made this recent move to Tivo out of the fear for ‘wasting my time’ with the DHG by resetting its schedule on the roughly 6 times a year I’d lose power, it already seems clear to me - in this first week - that I have already spent way more time just by fooling around with the Tivo Season Pass options and bad defaults and most especially with its Season Pass all-critical listing order. Given all the Season Pass recordings, it might take even more time babysitting this 2x bigger Tivo than the smaller DHG system did. This is an improvement?

And on the ‘superior’ Tivo, I don’t even get the comfort of knowing how much disk space is left before I HAVE to delete my shows – I could be good for a year, or just a week – no way to tell! I’m denied the feel good moment of seeing the disk space free up on deleted shows. Tivo says "There is no such thing as disk space”. So thus Tivo chains you into deleting/freeing things every night – ‘just in case’. At least with DHG, I knew when I’d have to spend the once-every-four-weeks session of cleaning out shows once the disk space was >90% full, had the comfort knowing how much time/space I had left, and also the satisfaction of a reclaimed space.

The points so far go to DHG. So far, the Tivo guide and feature set doesn’t really seem any better than the while-it-was-working TVGOS for free, and wouldn’t be worth the extra monthly cost… if only DHG had a working clock.

But it is early days yet. There’s still time for me to get converted into the “disk space is not real” and “always feel at risk for losing recorded shows” Tivo mindset. We’ll see.

Am I missing any other hidden Tivo features cherished by advanced users that might sway me into the “Tivo is such an improvement over DHG” camp?
videobruce likes this.
post #29329 of 29332 Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleskier View Post
I had yet-another 12+ hour power outage in the wind storm last week, and it’s not even winter yet. I’ve had it.

So lack of DHG clock has pushed me into the dark side – I bought a used Series3 Tivo. Then on cue, I had a second power outage right after getting the Tivo up and running, quickly proving it was the right choice.

Am I missing any other hidden Tivo features cherished by advanced users that might sway me into the “Tivo is such an improvement over DHG” camp?
I can understand your frustration. Imagine if Sony had kept supporting and upgrading the DHG. I've never seen a TiVoHD. I have two used Premiere 2-tuner units that replaced four Sony units. The Roamio is the current product but I have no need to change. I could say that your review of a 2007 TiVo is "interesting", but you know that. The Premiere and Roamio threads on AVS have little activity which may be due to the constant updates and the fact that the units just work. They're not perfect, especially the guide, but what is anymore? Since I always used a UPS, power was never an issue for me.
post #29330 of 29332 Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Where else could I share my Tivo impressions than with my fellow DHG brethren!

My DHG was released in 2004, my used Series3 Tivo was built in 2010. I'd bet it'd be a wash (at best) when you'd asked people to review - which one had the benefit of an extra 6 years of technology advancements, AND also cost more for being 'better'. 50/50 would be my guess for DHG despite being first generation.

I also can see right away why Tivo instantly kills so many disks on people. Their default "record all Tivo suggestions" means it is rifling through the disk constantly to record countless 'maybe' shows, wastefully recording and deleting shows that no one ever saw or ever would see. Versus our DHG disks lasting for how many years now?

Update: I forgot one major plus for Tivo in my first cut of the list: having two tuners is nice.

Update: I forgot one major minus for Tivo in my first cut of the list: I've had Tivo stutter for minutes on a playback of a show I just recorded, and then finally reboot itself (cue noisy fan again). When I tried to watch the same playback a second time, it also stuttered, and then rebooted itself a second time. Again with noisy fan. Third reboot I just deleted the offending show. Doesn't exactly breed confidence, but am hoping it is a one-off issue.

Anyway... I just wanted to share that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, just to help and prepare fellow DHG owners who do switch over.

Reduce your expectations - know that you're getting a working clock, and from a DHG POV not all that much more, and you'll be fine.
post #29331 of 29332 Old Today, 05:37 AM

Quote:

I just wanted to share that the grass isn't always greener on the other side,
just to help and prepare fellow DHG owners who do switch over.

No, 'TeeVoh' for me. I shall hang onto my DHG until it dies. Then, I'd look online to get another DHG!

(And the 'dead' DHG shall be turned into a trophy or monument.)

It's still...
S M O O T H _ S A I L I N G, baby!

- Pj
post #29332 of 29332 Old Today, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Where else could I share my Tivo impressions than with my fellow DHG brethren!

My DHG was released in 2004, my used Series3 Tivo was built in 2010. I'd bet it'd be a wash (at best) when you'd asked people to review - which one had the benefit of an extra 6 years of technology advancements, AND also cost more for being 'better'. 50/50 would be my guess for DHG despite being first generation.

I also can see right away why Tivo instantly kills so many disks on people. Their default "record all Tivo suggestions" means it is rifling through the disk constantly to record countless 'maybe' shows, wastefully recording and deleting shows that no one ever saw or ever would see. Versus our DHG disks lasting for how many years now?

Update: I forgot one major plus for Tivo in my first cut of the list: having two tuners is nice.

Update: I forgot one major minus for Tivo in my first cut of the list: I've had Tivo stutter for minutes on a playback of a show I just recorded, and then finally reboot itself (cue noisy fan again). When I tried to watch the same playback a second time, it also stuttered, and then rebooted itself a second time. Again with noisy fan. Third reboot I just deleted the offending show. Doesn't exactly breed confidence, but am hoping it is a one-off issue.

Anyway... I just wanted to share that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, just to help and prepare fellow DHG owners who do switch over.

Reduce your expectations - know that you're getting a working clock, and from a DHG POV not all that much more, and you'll be fine.
The major glaring flaw on the DHG's was the design decision to only include 1 tuner. That was a deal breaker for me when they were launched to retail, as well as non-functional ethernet/firewire meant archiving/offloading was/is impossible. I was a holdout expecting a 2nd generation line with dual tuners minimum and working firewire but that never materialized whereas the Tivo S3 from the get go had 2 tuners and a working ethernet port with tivo2go aka archiving of content, so was a natural choice for me. I didnt pick up a DHG until around 2010 when I saw a brand ew unit on fleeabak for aroun $99 and said what the heck even if it is a door stop soon I always wanted one of these units so picked up one.....
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page