Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 979 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #29341 of 29351 Old 12-20-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 133
WD2500 EIDE. There are two in the HDD500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29342 of 29351 Old 12-20-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Ouch. We're moving from the "smooth sailing" stage to the "cannibalise the doorstop for semi-useful parts" stage.
post #29343 of 29351 Old 12-20-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Ouch. We're moving from the "smooth sailing" stage to the "cannibalise the doorstop for semi-useful parts" stage.
yep
post #29344 of 29351 Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actually, I still have 'smooth sailing' on my Sony.
I think if you do a little research and learn how to live with your Sony without the guide, it's still very usable.
Mine has the time and day correct, I can live with that. When I browse the recordings, usually just seeing that info I can tell what show it is.
Now that system doesn't fly with my wife so we also have TIVO.
post #29345 of 29351 Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A bit of a surprise today.... after being unplugged for about 6 months, my DHG-HDD250 gave me an error message about the hard drive being faulty, and the time was reset to 2004. The error message also stated that recording would not be possible due to this problem. I tried recording a short segment, it was a no-go. Looked up 'reset' procedure in the manual, hit the Exit & TVGuide buttons, it reset the unit and came back to life. Time was changed to June 2014, and now there's a front panel clock again. Apparently the Sony "fixed" itself.

My other DHG-HDD500 is still plugged in, but basically unused because I got tired of having to re-calculate the time offset just about every week when it would freeze up. I've been using two Channel Master CM7400s that I picked up on Ebay this year for about $130 total. While not perfect, they do the job more than adequately, without having to worry about a clock issue.

I really wish there was some way to access the internal Sony software..... and re-program the correct time and date. This past weekend there were five NFL games on broadcast TV..... the Sonys would have come in handy for these football marathons.
post #29346 of 29351 Old Today, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post

I really wish there was some way to access the internal Sony software..... and re-program the correct time and date. This past weekend there were five NFL games on broadcast TV..... the Sonys would have come in handy for these football marathons.

As JoeKustra would say, Get a UPS battery backup to keep the correct time during power spikes, and I would say use the 9012 menu to reset to factory default at 1159:55 PM tonight (Wednesday). The internal clock will revert to 12:00 AM Thursday January 1 2004 but you will lose any schedules you have programed to the DHG.
On your remote, click menu, screen mode (aspect), enter numbers 9012 on your remote, scroll down to TV Guide and click on. On the next screen click on reset to factory default and your internal clock will revert to 12:00 AM 2004. The good thing about this method is you will not lose any recordings but you will need to reschedule your shows. You will not get back the front panel clock but the internal clock will be in sync. Now the good news, If you succeed you will have the correct time and day of the week for all your recordings. If you do this method next Wednesday (New Years Eve), your internal clock will be in sync for all following years including leap year. On DST I believe the DHG does not adjust the clock so you can just adjust your schedules by an hour to compensate. If you just want the correct time on the DHG and do not care about the day of week, or if the DHG reboots and you just want the right time of day. You can use the Izzy method posted earlier on this forum, for the correct time of day but maybe not the right day of week.
Merry Christmas!.....

Last edited by izzy900; Today at 04:58 AM. Reason: TYPO
post #29347 of 29351 Old Today, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy900 View Post
As JoeKustra would say, Get a UPS battery backup to keep the correct time during power spikes, and I would say use the 9012 menu to reset to factory default at 1159:55 PM tonight (Wednesday).

Merry Christmas!.....
You too Izzy. I'm not using my DHG at the moment but it's not in a box either. It sits in my system with a VCR still connected - just in case. I'm due to lose my clear QAM on 2/10/15, so it will be a waste of space then. I already have enough capacity with a Tivo, so I won't get another cable card. Take care.
post #29348 of 29351 Old Today, 05:34 AM

I can't seem to find the link to the Izzy method anymore, so I can not give link.
here is the method...

HOW TO SET CLOCK ON SONY DHG-HDD 250/500 DVR
1. Hold exit and TV Guide buttons on front of DVR simultaneously! (Unit will reset)
2. Wait for unit to cycle and dashes show instead of time!
3. Power up unit and write down the time on unit clock (Example 4:23 AM)
4. As soon as you have time written down repeat step 1. resetting unit. (The unit will keep the time from the last reset during new reset but the dashes will show on screen till powered up!)
5. Now this is when you wait for the exact time that you have written down from your DVR to come. (Do not power up DVR again until the actual time in step 3.) (Example 4:23 AM actual time)
6. Power up DVR at the appointed time and presto the clock will show that time!
This fix will only work if the unit is left alone and powered down with the dashes showing while waiting to reach your reset time!.
post #29349 of 29351 Old Today, 06:20 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
As JoeKustra would say, Get a UPS battery backup to keep the correct time during power spikes...
Umm, I believe joecass mentioned the unit freezing up, not power issues . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
My other DHG-HDD500 is still plugged in, but basically unused because I got tired of having to re-calculate the time offset just about every week when it would freeze up....

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #29350 of 29351 Old Today, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Umm, I believe joecass mentioned the unit freezing up, not power issues . . .
My bad, I should have mentioned that setting the zip code to 00000 and downgrading the firmware from 1.21 to 1.13 seems to make the dhg more stable, just thought I could get those with clock issues up to par during the holidays. Oh by the way, I almost did not know it was you without your guy with spam icon.
post #29351 of 29351 Old Today, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
As JoeKustra would say, Get a UPS battery backup to keep the correct time during power spikes, and I would say use the 9012 menu to reset to factory default at 1159:55 PM tonight (Wednesday). The internal clock will revert to 12:00 AM Thursday January 1 2004 but you will lose any schedules you have programed to the DHG.
On your remote, click menu, screen mode (aspect), enter numbers 9012 on your remote, scroll down to TV Guide and click on. On the next screen click on reset to factory default and your internal clock will revert to 12:00 AM 2004. The good thing about this method is you will not lose any recordings but you will need to reschedule your shows. You will not get back the front panel clock but the internal clock will be in sync. Now the good news, If you succeed you will have the correct time and day of the week for all your recordings. If you do this method next Wednesday (New Years Eve), your internal clock will be in sync for all following years including leap year. On DST I believe the DHG does not adjust the clock so you can just adjust your schedules by an hour to compensate. If you just want the correct time on the DHG and do not care about the day of week, or if the DHG reboots and you just want the right time of day. You can use the Izzy method posted earlier on this forum, for the correct time of day but maybe not the right day of week.
Merry Christmas!.....

Merry Christmas !

An UPS is not the issue..... the issue is locking up more than it should, and having to calculate a time offset. I would rather not set the clock back to 2004, in the event someday I decide to sell it, it looks better to have the time appear to be 2014, even if it's the wrong date and time.
At least it would show that the DHG was functional to some extent.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread