Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 981 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #29401 of 29421 Old 04-11-2015, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
After an extended period of inactivity a thread can be flagged as inactive, or it used to be that way. I have four 250 units that I would hand over to anyone willing to pick them up. All have good fans and worked until I pulled the plug. I have no boxes and they don't fit into a P.O. flat rate box. Anyhow, don't get nuts about this. I have a ton of stuff that has to go. I went from a four floor house to a 150 sq ft cave. Not everything fits.
Why move into a hole in the wall? Now nothing fits and you have to purge....sometimes change is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29402 of 29421 Old 04-12-2015, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Why move into a hole in the wall? Now nothing fits and you have to purge....sometimes change is good.
Yes, I am always getting new stuff. I was living in a house my sister owned after moving back from CA. She sold the house, and I had a choice of getting an apartment or moving in with my mother. I chose to move in with her, she's 87, and my family spends 9 months in FL every year. I have a room since this is an old house and I don't have the money or desire to fix it up. It's a rural area, I'm retired, and I like living alone with my stuff. This year my cable is all encrypted so I use two TiVo boxes with cable cards. The network I made is really good, so sharing stuff is fast and easy. There's no possibility of OTA, but my cable & internet is pretty good. The DHG taught me a lot, and I use that knowledge every day.
post #29403 of 29421 Old 04-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Good grief!

For the first time since having this 250, I did something that I have not done before with it.

I remembered I needed to check on the unit which I didn't do earlier, because I knew disk
memory was getting pretty low. So, I ran to the unit on Wednesday night and turned it
on to check 'System' and WoW! I was down to 3% hard drive space!

What would've happened if it ran out at 0%? Didn't I read here a long time ago that
something bad happens - or could happen when space runs dry?

I deleted some stuff and got back to near 30% remaining, so...

(Things are still SMOOTH SAILING! Whew! That was close!)

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV with Firmware: 1.1.19. Windows7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop Computer.
ClearStream-4 Antenna, a dying DTX9950 Converter Box (See www.BadCaps.Net and Capacitor Plague - Poorly made caps)
, Philips 3576H DVR, Philips 19PFL3403D TV.
post #29404 of 29421 Old 04-18-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Good grief!

For the first time since having this 250, I did something that I have not done before with it.

I remembered I needed to check on the unit which I didn't do earlier, because I knew disk
memory was getting pretty low. So, I ran to the unit on Wednesday night and turned it
on to check 'System' and WoW! I was down to 3% hard drive space!

What would've happened if it ran out at 0%? Didn't I read here a long time ago that
something bad happens - or could happen when space runs dry?

I deleted some stuff and got back to near 30% remaining, so...

(Things are still SMOOTH SAILING! Whew! That was close!)

Yes-It will stop recorgind video.
Seriously though I dont kow if anything "bad" happens, but in general once hard drives get close to capacity they behave poorly since the read head has to travel all over the place to find free clusters to write to.....

Last edited by qz3fwd; 04-18-2015 at 12:38 PM.
post #29405 of 29421 Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still use my DHG's on a daily basis, with the Phillips HDR5750 as a backup for other recordings. Despite it age, it still runs circles around the cable dvr I had as far as the controls, live buffer etc.
post #29406 of 29421 Old 05-05-2015, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have (mostly) fond memories of my old Sony DHG-HDD250. I got my first HDTV, a 34" widescreen flat tube RCA Scenium from Circuit City right about 12 years ago. Got a good deal on a floor model. Of course, my old VCR was useless when it came to recording the good stuff in HD, and the networks were starting to show quite a bit of HD in primetime by then. So after a year or so, I began researching my options for recording HDTV. I had my eye on the Sony DVR as well as one from LG (the LST-3410A, I think). By the time I had decided on the Sony, it was almost too late. I could find exactly one of them available in Nashville, a floor model at a Best Buy across town. I think the original retail price was $500 but can't quite remember what I spent on it -- I think $300 and they threw in a $20 gift card.

Being able to pause and rewind live TV was so cool! And since I could keep shows to watch on demand, I decided all I needed was very basic cable. Comcast provided it in clear QAM, so I never used a Cable Card in my unit. Got the local broadcast channels in HD plus the now-defunct INHD and INHD2 (cable companies' answer to HDNet). Playback on the DHG was always great.

The weak point of the unit, of course, was the TV Guide On Screen system. As time went on, I had to do a lot of fiddling with the unit to get the listings, and therefore the recordings, to always work right. Thank goodness for the SpiffSpace webpage with all sorts of tips and tricks, like how to access to service menus.

After two or three years, I ended up subscribing to Dish Network's new Turbo HD package, so didn't use the DHG any more. (Turbo HD was great -- a skinny all-HD channel bundle -- kinda like what's now offered by Sling TV -- with their VIP 722 HD DVR for one TV, all for a regular no-contract price of $35 a month, I think.) I lent the DHG to a friend using an OTA antenna; she liked it when it worked but I think eventually found it to be too troublesome. It sat in my closet unused for a long while and I finally sold it on eBay a couple years ago for $98. (I made sure bidders understood that the TVGOS system was defunct by then.)

I'm looking forward to going back to my own no-service-contract DVR again. After several years with Dish, AT&T U-verse and now DirecTV, I just ordered a new TiVo Roamio OTA DVR with lifetime service. It should arrive tomorrow.
post #29407 of 29421 Old 05-06-2015, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I'm looking forward to going back to my own no-service-contract DVR again. After several years with Dish, AT&T U-verse and now DirecTV, I just ordered a new TiVo Roamio OTA DVR with lifetime service. It should arrive tomorrow.
I see a lot of fun in your future. For great advice and information, be sure to checkout the TiVo Community Forum.
NashGuy likes this.
post #29408 of 29421 Old 05-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I have (mostly) fond memories of my old Sony DHG-HDD250. I got my first HDTV, a 34" widescreen flat tube RCA Scenium from Circuit City right about 12 years ago. Got a good deal on a floor model. Of course, my old VCR was useless when it came to recording the good stuff in HD, and the networks were starting to show quite a bit of HD in primetime by then. So after a year or so, I began researching my options for recording HDTV. I had my eye on the Sony DVR as well as one from LG (the LST-3410A, I think). By the time I had decided on the Sony, it was almost too late. I could find exactly one of them available in Nashville, a floor model at a Best Buy across town. I think the original retail price was $500 but can't quite remember what I spent on it -- I think $300 and they threw in a $20 gift card.

Being able to pause and rewind live TV was so cool! And since I could keep shows to watch on demand, I decided all I needed was very basic cable. Comcast provided it in clear QAM, so I never used a Cable Card in my unit. Got the local broadcast channels in HD plus the now-defunct INHD and INHD2 (cable companies' answer to HDNet). Playback on the DHG was always great.

The weak point of the unit, of course, was the TV Guide On Screen system. As time went on, I had to do a lot of fiddling with the unit to get the listings, and therefore the recordings, to always work right. Thank goodness for the SpiffSpace webpage with all sorts of tips and tricks, like how to access to service menus.

After two or three years, I ended up subscribing to Dish Network's new Turbo HD package, so didn't use the DHG any more. (Turbo HD was great -- a skinny all-HD channel bundle -- kinda like what's now offered by Sling TV -- with their VIP 722 HD DVR for one TV, all for a regular no-contract price of $35 a month, I think.) I lent the DHG to a friend using an OTA antenna; she liked it when it worked but I think eventually found it to be too troublesome. It sat in my closet unused for a long while and I finally sold it on eBay a couple years ago for $98. (I made sure bidders understood that the TVGOS system was defunct by then.)

So how much does a lifetime service Roamio OTA cost these days ? I could never see spending any extra cash on a Tivo, even though it might be the best way to go at the moment.
Since I have five OTA DVR's, for me it wouldn't make any sense.

Both my Sony DHGs are unplugged for now, eventually I'll try to sell them for whatever I can get. Speaking of "LG", my actual first foray into HD recording came straight from an Ebay seller who thought his LG LST-3410A was 'broken'. Got it years ago for less than $100 shipped, and it still works, even after the demise of TV Guide. Maybe not as fancy as the Sony DHGs, but as long as I can set the clock and timers manually, I'll hold onto it.
post #29409 of 29421 Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
So how much does a lifetime service Roamio OTA cost these days ? I could never see spending any extra cash on a Tivo, even though it might be the best way to go at the moment.
Since I have five OTA DVR's, for me it wouldn't make any sense.

Both my Sony DHGs are unplugged for now, eventually I'll try to sell them for whatever I can get. Speaking of "LG", my actual first foray into HD recording came straight from an Ebay seller who thought his LG LST-3410A was 'broken'. Got it years ago for less than $100 shipped, and it still works, even after the demise of TV Guide. Maybe not as fancy as the Sony DHGs, but as long as I can set the clock and timers manually, I'll hold onto it.
Check this out. TiVo Roamio OTA DVR

There is a special $300 offer right now, but you may need to do some tricks to get it since the offer has "expired". I have four DHG and one LG in a stack. Two TiVo units give me six tuners and almost unlimited storage. And they are networked.
post #29410 of 29421 Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Check this out. TiVo Roamio OTA DVR

There is a special $300 offer right now, but you may need to do some tricks to get it since the offer has "expired". I have four DHG and one LG in a stack. Two TiVo units give me six tuners and almost unlimited storage. And they are networked.

Thanks for the info Joe, but I'm not in the market for a Tivo, even at a $300 special price.
I've had Time Warner Cable for nearly 20 years, I'll be getting rid of it this summer and hopefully replacing cable with either FIOS or Dish Network.
post #29411 of 29421 Old 05-08-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I can't believe it's been 10 years ago today since this thread started. I bought two 500's (so I could record two shows at once) from Tweeter when they were on clearance for $250.00 each. It's too bad they stopped supporting them. Luckily I sold mine before they turned off TVGOS.
post #29412 of 29421 Old 05-08-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
I can't believe it's been 10 years ago today since this thread started. I bought two 500's (so I could record two shows at once) from Tweeter when they were on clearance for $250.00 each. It's too bad they stopped supporting them. Luckily I sold mine before they turned off TVGOS.
Still holding the record for the most posts in this forum. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
post #29413 of 29421 Old 05-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Watching HD recordings from my 250 on a Vizio P50 looks great.

S.S.

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV with Firmware: 1.1.19. Windows7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop Computer.
ClearStream-4 Antenna, a dying DTX9950 Converter Box (See www.BadCaps.Net and Capacitor Plague - Poorly made caps)
post #29414 of 29421 Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Oh No!

Last night was rOuGh sAiLiNg!

It has been a long time since my 250 froze. Last night, as a Recording was ending, and I was watching a previously Recorded program, it froze solid.

I wonder, did this unusual warm weather have anything to do with it? The HDD1 drive was reading 109 degrees. Room temperature was around 80.

I thought I was going lose Day-of-Week sync and my Schedule. Remote commands did not do anything. This time, I let it go to see what would happen.

The 250 reset itself. The 'Welcome...' message eventually came up on the Front Display. The only thing I lost was time. The clock is now 44 minutes behind. I edited my Scheduled Recordings, and may just shut it down Wednesday evening to vacuum the inside.

- Pj
post #29415 of 29421 Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 695
I hope you don't mean that you literally vacuum your electronics, because you should never do that. You should always use compressed air to blow the dust out. You shouldn't try to suck it out.
post #29416 of 29421 Old 05-10-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder, did this unusual warm weather have anything to do with it? The HDD1 drive was reading 109 degrees. Room temperature was around 80.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I hope you don't mean that you literally vacuum your electronics, because you should never do that. You should always use compressed air to blow the dust out. You shouldn't try to suck it out.
I agree, never vacuum. I always used a can of compressed air, but not until the device reached room temperature. The 109F is a little high, but not a concern. I have replaced the fans in three of my units. It was always a trade between air flow and noise. Hardest part is the mounts, since the OEM are rubber and will disintegrate if touched. You can get silicon replacements on eBay IF you can match the fan. Since the mounts are designed with a certain frame design, you need to get very creative. It took months to find the proper fan, and weeks to get it shipped from China. Let me know if you want more information. Of course, if you want to drive to my house I will give you four working units and several remotes.
post #29417 of 29421 Old 05-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Yes, I literally vacuum. Very carefully. Never during low humidity.

I take the cover off, and away I go.

With restricted suction, I use a straw to approach IC chips if needed and only get close enough to lift loose dust. I usually don't worry about thin, layered dust. If so, I use water or alcohol on a swab.

This will be my 2nd vacuum event with the Sony unit. I've vacuumed my computers, also. Knock on organic wood - all has been ok.

- Pj
post #29418 of 29421 Old 05-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 109F is a little high, but not a concern.

The room temp now is 85. The 250 is showing 113 degrees.

- Pj
post #29419 of 29421 Old 05-10-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The room temp now is 85. The 250 is showing 113 degrees.
That's logical. The drive's SMART readout is pretty accurate. As a stopgap measure, you can clean the fan with a small toothbrush and windex. As you see, ambient temp is important. I always had mine sitting low, so the readout was seldom above 90F. A 20 to 30 degree rise is to be expected. Remember, you are reading the drive temp, not the motherboard. The airflow is from the input near the tuner, over the MB, through the fan, and going out through the PS. If all you want is some new mounts, you can email me your address and I can send you four that work with the OEM fan. BTW, fan access will require moving the HDD.
post #29420 of 29421 Old Today, 04:42 PM

I always kept a common household box fan pointed straight at the left side of the Sony ( and other DVRs stacked on a stand ) to keep the temperature down during warm weather. 109F was the highest I ever saw it reach. I think overheating may be a cause of freezing to
some degree.
post #29421 of 29421 Old Today, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
I always kept a common household box fan pointed straight at the left side of the Sony ( and other DVRs stacked on a stand ) to keep the temperature down during warm weather. 109F was the highest I ever saw it reach. I think overheating may be a cause of freezing to
some degree.
My TiVo sits in the same location as my DHG used to and its motherboard temp is usually 102F. In the winter it may drop a few degrees.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page