Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 981 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #29401 of 29407 Old 04-11-2015, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
After an extended period of inactivity a thread can be flagged as inactive, or it used to be that way. I have four 250 units that I would hand over to anyone willing to pick them up. All have good fans and worked until I pulled the plug. I have no boxes and they don't fit into a P.O. flat rate box. Anyhow, don't get nuts about this. I have a ton of stuff that has to go. I went from a four floor house to a 150 sq ft cave. Not everything fits.
Why move into a hole in the wall? Now nothing fits and you have to purge....sometimes change is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29402 of 29407 Old 04-12-2015, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Why move into a hole in the wall? Now nothing fits and you have to purge....sometimes change is good.
Yes, I am always getting new stuff. I was living in a house my sister owned after moving back from CA. She sold the house, and I had a choice of getting an apartment or moving in with my mother. I chose to move in with her, she's 87, and my family spends 9 months in FL every year. I have a room since this is an old house and I don't have the money or desire to fix it up. It's a rural area, I'm retired, and I like living alone with my stuff. This year my cable is all encrypted so I use two TiVo boxes with cable cards. The network I made is really good, so sharing stuff is fast and easy. There's no possibility of OTA, but my cable & internet is pretty good. The DHG taught me a lot, and I use that knowledge every day.
post #29403 of 29407 Old 04-18-2015, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Good grief!

For the first time since having this 250, I did something that I have not done before with it.

I remembered I needed to check on the unit which I didn't do earlier, because I knew disk
memory was getting pretty low. So, I ran to the unit on Wednesday night and turned it
on to check 'System' and WoW! I was down to 3% hard drive space!

What would've happened if it ran out at 0%? Didn't I read here a long time ago that
something bad happens - or could happen when space runs dry?

I deleted some stuff and got back to near 30% remaining, so...

(Things are still SMOOTH SAILING! Whew! That was close!)

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV, Firmware: 1.1.19. Win7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop.
Other Equipment: ClearStream-4 connected to dying DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local CableTV to RF-In - connected to 2nd-time boards-replaced Philips 19PFL3403D (See www.BadCaps.Net - Poorly made caps).
post #29404 of 29407 Old 04-18-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Good grief!

For the first time since having this 250, I did something that I have not done before with it.

I remembered I needed to check on the unit which I didn't do earlier, because I knew disk
memory was getting pretty low. So, I ran to the unit on Wednesday night and turned it
on to check 'System' and WoW! I was down to 3% hard drive space!

What would've happened if it ran out at 0%? Didn't I read here a long time ago that
something bad happens - or could happen when space runs dry?

I deleted some stuff and got back to near 30% remaining, so...

(Things are still SMOOTH SAILING! Whew! That was close!)

Yes-It will stop recorgind video.
Seriously though I dont kow if anything "bad" happens, but in general once hard drives get close to capacity they behave poorly since the read head has to travel all over the place to find free clusters to write to.....

Last edited by qz3fwd; 04-18-2015 at 12:38 PM.
post #29405 of 29407 Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still use my DHG's on a daily basis, with the Phillips HDR5750 as a backup for other recordings. Despite it age, it still runs circles around the cable dvr I had as far as the controls, live buffer etc.
post #29406 of 29407 Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have (mostly) fond memories of my old Sony DHG-HDD250. I got my first HDTV, a 34" widescreen flat tube RCA Scenium from Circuit City right about 12 years ago. Got a good deal on a floor model. Of course, my old VCR was useless when it came to recording the good stuff in HD, and the networks were starting to show quite a bit of HD in primetime by then. So after a year or so, I began researching my options for recording HDTV. I had my eye on the Sony DVR as well as one from LG (the LST-3410A, I think). By the time I had decided on the Sony, it was almost too late. I could find exactly one of them available in Nashville, a floor model at a Best Buy across town. I think the original retail price was $500 but can't quite remember what I spent on it -- I think $300 and they threw in a $20 gift card.

Being able to pause and rewind live TV was so cool! And since I could keep shows to watch on demand, I decided all I needed was very basic cable. Comcast provided it in clear QAM, so I never used a Cable Card in my unit. Got the local broadcast channels in HD plus the now-defunct INHD and INHD2 (cable companies' answer to HDNet). Playback on the DHG was always great.

The weak point of the unit, of course, was the TV Guide On Screen system. As time went on, I had to do a lot of fiddling with the unit to get the listings, and therefore the recordings, to always work right. Thank goodness for the SpiffSpace webpage with all sorts of tips and tricks, like how to access to service menus.

After two or three years, I ended up subscribing to Dish Network's new Turbo HD package, so didn't use the DHG any more. (Turbo HD was great -- a skinny all-HD channel bundle -- kinda like what's now offered by Sling TV -- with their VIP 722 HD DVR for one TV, all for a regular no-contract price of $35 a month, I think.) I lent the DHG to a friend using an OTA antenna; she liked it when it worked but I think eventually found it to be too troublesome. It sat in my closet unused for a long while and I finally sold it on eBay a couple years ago for $98. (I made sure bidders understood that the TVGOS system was defunct by then.)

I'm looking forward to going back to my own no-service-contract DVR again. After several years with Dish, AT&T U-verse and now DirecTV, I just ordered a new TiVo Roamio OTA DVR with lifetime service. It should arrive tomorrow.
post #29407 of 29407 Unread Today, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I'm looking forward to going back to my own no-service-contract DVR again. After several years with Dish, AT&T U-verse and now DirecTV, I just ordered a new TiVo Roamio OTA DVR with lifetime service. It should arrive tomorrow.
I see a lot of fun in your future. For great advice and information, be sure to checkout the TiVo Community Forum.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page