Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 984 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #29491 of 29504 Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some advice please. I still do manual recordings with my 500. I still have a grid (no listings) and a front panel clock (wrong time). I have basic cable, and they give me the local HD channels. When I set it up years ago, I chose cable only. Now I want to record OTA through the antenna input as well. I scanned the antenna channels, and all is fine until I want to record. At that point, the unit changes the input back to cable (still on the antenna channel # so no signal.) Basically, it only records from the cable input. I can watch OTA but I can't record it. My question is: if I go back to setup and choose the same zipcode but pick cable and antenna (instead of cable only), will I lose all ability to record... grid goes away, front panel clock goes away? I have an old software version: 1.2.06

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29492 of 29504 Old 01-16-2016, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm2295 View Post
Some advice please. I still do manual recordings with my 500. I still have a grid (no listings) and a front panel clock (wrong time). I have basic cable, and they give me the local HD channels. When I set it up years ago, I chose cable only. Now I want to record OTA through the antenna input as well. I scanned the antenna channels, and all is fine until I want to record. At that point, the unit changes the input back to cable (still on the antenna channel # so no signal.) Basically, it only records from the cable input. I can watch OTA but I can't record it. My question is: if I go back to setup and choose the same zipcode but pick cable and antenna (instead of cable only), will I lose all ability to record... grid goes away, front panel clock goes away? I have an old software version: 1.2.06

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I think you do have to go back to Setup, same zip code, cable and air (cable box=no) and then do a completely new channel scan, so its scans cable and air together. Then, you'd have to check the Channel List screen and make sure the stations you want to record are set to "On".
The software version shouldn't make any difference. If you had a grid and front panel clock before, it should remain the same. Can't be 100% sure, but that's what I would do.
post #29493 of 29504 Old 01-17-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post
I think you do have to go back to Setup, same zip code, cable and air (cable box=no) and then do a completely new channel scan, so its scans cable and air together. Then, you'd have to check the Channel List screen and make sure the stations you want to record are set to "On".
The software version shouldn't make any difference. If you had a grid and front panel clock before, it should remain the same. Can't be 100% sure, but that's what I would do.
Thanks Joe, the local HD channels that come with my basic cable have been nearly unwatchable lately (pixelation and sound cuts out.) They look fine on my tv tuner. They also look fine OTA through the antenna input on the 500. All the rest of the basic cable seems fine. That's why I hesitate to run setup again. I'm afraid I'll end up with a brick. I think I'll try an inline cable amplifier first.

Thanks again!
post #29494 of 29504 Old 01-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

...the local HD channels that come with my basic cable have been nearly unwatchable lately (pixelation and sound cuts out.) They look fine on my TV tuner.

They also look fine OTA through the antenna input on the 500. All the rest of the basic cable seems fine.

A good, strong cable signal is needed. Adding additional tuners after Cable TV Tech had done original setup, can be a problem if signal level is borderline to begin with. (Adding inline amp - as you mentioned - can help.)

Then there's quality and type of a splitter. I need to look into this myself, as I have one splitter that is ok on one output, intermittent on the other. Another splitter I have is bad on both outputs. HD breakup-pixelization at times.

I'll have to dig up my DHG manual, as I made a note in there about a 'Add a Channel' bug. You have to redo from scratch the tuner setup to 'add' any channels. (And use 00000 as a zip code to help 'stabilize' the unit.)

Also, reEntering the same channel twice switches between Cable/OTA, if you didn't know that already.

- Pj

post #29495 of 29504 Old 01-19-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Too bad the DHG doesn't have a diagnostic that indicates signal level. That might help.
post #29496 of 29504 Old 01-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Too bad the DHG doesn't have a diagnostic that indicates signal level. That might help.

It does, for digital channels. Menu > Preferences > System > System Menu

For analog, you can check the SNR.
Menu > Preferences > System > Diagnostics

- Pj

post #29497 of 29504 Old 01-20-2016, 08:19 AM

I tried the amplifier between the splitter and the DHG with some improvement. Next, I tried a new splitter, put the amplifier before the splitter, and got rid of the tv tuner. So now the signal splits to just the DHG and the cable modem. My problems with HD content seem to be gone! The DHG indicates signal strength: 88% and Quality: Good. I'm pretty sure it was the same before I made the changes, so I don't know how useful the System Menu signal strength indicator is. Thanks for responding to my request for help. I've had my 500 since 2005, and those 2 hard drives have been spinning not stop the whole time. I paid $700 for the unit, and my wife thought I was crazy. I think it works out to about 5 or 6 bucks a month. I looked at the Channel Master dvr+ for $250. The channel guide is included, but it only records OTA. I'd like to find one that does basic cable as well and doesn't require a monthly payment for the quide (I think the tivo requires a subscription for the unit to function). I don't mind just manual recording. I'm used to it with my DHG.
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
post #29498 of 29504 Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

If I remember, 88% was a popular number. It's likely that that number is after AGC is applied, so it is not real helpful.

A box that uses a cable card is hard to find now. I have two TiVo boxes that I got before they raised the rates. I have three DHG 250 if you need one.

Have you ever used the diags to see how many hours are on the HDD?

Last edited by JoeKustra; 01-20-2016 at 09:11 AM.
post #29499 of 29504 Old 01-26-2016, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Signal Amplifier can cause signal degradation

I found that my amplifier caused the program to be unwatchable at times. It took me quite a while to discover it since it didn't happen all the time, and when it did, s/n ratio and signal strength were good. I attributed the problem to DVR ageing.

Quote:
I tried the amplifier between the splitter and the DHG with some improvement. Next, I tried a new splitter, put the amplifier before the splitter, and got rid of the tv tuner. So now the signal splits to just the DHG and the cable modem. My problems with HD content seem to be gone! The DHG indicates signal strength: 88% and Quality: Good. I'm pretty sure it was the same before I made the changes, so I don't know how useful the System Menu signal strength indicator is. Thanks for responding to my request for help. I've had my 500 since 2005, and those 2 hard drives have been spinning not stop the whole time. I paid $700 for the unit, and my wife thought I was crazy. I think it works out to about 5 or 6 bucks a month. I looked at the Channel Master dvr+ for $250. The channel guide is included, but it only records OTA. I'd like to find one that does basic cable as well and doesn't require a monthly payment for the quide (I think the tivo requires a subscription for the unit to function). I don't mind just manual recording. I'm used to it with my DHG.
post #29500 of 29504 Old 03-10-2016, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post
I have had similar experiences over a half century with computers and home electronics. And observed this in business settings. Electronic devices do not seem to take well to idleness. Those who power things up and down seem to have far more problems than those who run 24x365.

I have a DHG-500 powered up but seldom used in the past 2 years. It is still working when I want to use it. I have a hybrid solid state & vacuum tube stereo pre-amp that has been used twice in the past 6 months. It is 20 years old and on standby when not in use. It sounded fine two days ago. I have an Apple Macbook that is 12 years old. It sleeps with power on. It works fine when I use it monthly. And on and on...
Electrolytic/polarized capacitors can need to be "repolarized" after being unused for a while. Some (older, tube generation) types need to be reconditioned by slowly increasing an applied voltage. For more recent equipment, with any luck, just leaving the unit powered on for a few hours may do the trick.
post #29501 of 29504 Old 03-20-2016, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Does this mean the HDD 250s may work again? I cut the cable last month and thinking of buying an OTA dvr. It would be great if these things came back to life.

I love this HD stuff!
post #29502 of 29504 Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Does this mean the HDD 250s may work again? I cut the cable last month and thinking of buying an OTA dvr. It would be great if these things came back to life.
Very unlikely. Ok, impossible. Which DVR are you looking at? I have a few, all on cable. To see what OTA channels are "possible" check with zap2it.com. Just add your zipcode. There are many other sites that are more specific when it comes to reception possibilities, like tvfool and rabbitears.

update: I see you've got the antenna part done. There two major players in the OTA market now. DVR+ from Channel Master, and the TiVo OTA, basic or Bolt. The DVR+ has a large thread on AVS (not as large as this one and for TiVo I would use the TCF.

Yeah, lack of 5.1 on streaming services sucks. Amazon/Netflix do have DD+ however.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 03-20-2016 at 09:02 AM.
post #29503 of 29504 Old 03-20-2016, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Considering the Tablo. OTA has 5.1 with an awesome picture. Streaming through a Roku 2, Netflix & Amazon have great sound, Sling TV requires the AVR kicking it up to PLll.

I love this HD stuff!
post #29504 of 29504 Old 03-20-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Tablo doesn't currently do 5.1. All audio is streamed out as stereo. Other than that, it's a great little box. Different usage model than the others, in general. No HDMI output on the box - all outputs are to streaming clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page