Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 985 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #29521 of 29525 Old 10-05-2016, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hard Reset for Cable Channel List

Ok I know this may be considered an idiotic move but I was desperate to add a cable channel to my list so that I could record a program. My HDD250 would not let me record Channel 148 because it was not in my list.

I tried to do an auto rescan of cable channels but I got the message that it was not possible to do this with an active cable card installed. I tried to do it with cable card removed but of course no channels were found.

So I turned the HDD250 on with the cable card ejected and selected auto scan for cable channels. As soon as it started to run, I pushed the cable card back into the slot and much to my amazement it did not explode or catch on fire and it found channel 148. Now I can do manual recordings on that channel.

I am sure this not a recommended method so do not try this at home unless I guess you are desperate enough to risk losing your recorder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29522 of 29525 Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1701b View Post
Ok I know this may be considered an idiotic move but I was desperate to add a cable channel to my list so that I could record a program. My HDD250 would not let me record Channel 148 because it was not in my list.

I tried to do an auto rescan of cable channels but I got the message that it was not possible to do this with an active cable card installed. I tried to do it with cable card removed but of course no channels were found.

So I turned the HDD250 on with the cable card ejected and selected auto scan for cable channels. As soon as it started to run, I pushed the cable card back into the slot and much to my amazement it did not explode or catch on fire and it found channel 148. Now I can do manual recordings on that channel.

I am sure this not a recommended method so do not try this at home unless I guess you are desperate enough to risk losing your recorder.
I guess if it failed you could call Sony for support.
post #29523 of 29525 Old 10-06-2016, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I guess if it failed you could call Sony for support.
Wow, I was just about to type the exact same response! What's that saying about great minds thinking alike? Or should that be similarly-warped minds?

- Kerry
JoeKustra likes this.

TiVo Premiere w/2TB internal upgrade and Lifetime Service. Sony DHG-HDD250 retired in 6/13: CableCARD, 1.2.13 firmware, reset weekday & time as needed with 147412356 code. (further time adjustments by the "Izzy method")
post #29524 of 29525 Old Today, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Does this mean the HDD 250s may work again? I cut the cable last month and thinking of buying an OTA dvr. It would be great if these things came back to life.
Still using my 500 - from about 2006. Would figure difference between internal clock and world time - and be able to use pretty much full ability of recorder. Recently pulled one of my beautiful accomplishments. Day after Fall Back time adjustment - found recorder no longer had front clock - and internal clock showed Jan. 1, 1990 ?? and unit would not record. Manual recording attempt brought up a screen which asked if I wanted to connect a VCR. After trying 9012 reset - and more than one hot resets - I thought This Recorder has given all it had - and deserved to be put to rest - so off I went to Channel Master and the (Of Color) Friday DVR+ with 1 Terr internal drive sale. After placing order - tried one more reset - this of the factory hard drive variety - and up jumped 2004 - on internal clock - and all recording ability present and accounted for. Giving credit where credit is due: Sony made a long lasting unit - and I'm wearing out.
Regards to all -
Barry Levy
joecass likes this.
post #29525 of 29525 Old Today, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Levy View Post
Giving credit where credit is due: Sony made a long lasting unit - and I'm wearing out.
Regards to all -
Barry Levy
So true. All four of my units are now in heaven. But if you're looking for a good deal: https://www.tivo.com/ I'd buy two if I could use an antenna.
joecass likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv