Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 985 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #29521 of 29549 Old 10-05-2016, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hard Reset for Cable Channel List

Ok I know this may be considered an idiotic move but I was desperate to add a cable channel to my list so that I could record a program. My HDD250 would not let me record Channel 148 because it was not in my list.

I tried to do an auto rescan of cable channels but I got the message that it was not possible to do this with an active cable card installed. I tried to do it with cable card removed but of course no channels were found.

So I turned the HDD250 on with the cable card ejected and selected auto scan for cable channels. As soon as it started to run, I pushed the cable card back into the slot and much to my amazement it did not explode or catch on fire and it found channel 148. Now I can do manual recordings on that channel.

I am sure this not a recommended method so do not try this at home unless I guess you are desperate enough to risk losing your recorder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29522 of 29549 Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1701b View Post
Ok I know this may be considered an idiotic move but I was desperate to add a cable channel to my list so that I could record a program. My HDD250 would not let me record Channel 148 because it was not in my list.

I tried to do an auto rescan of cable channels but I got the message that it was not possible to do this with an active cable card installed. I tried to do it with cable card removed but of course no channels were found.

So I turned the HDD250 on with the cable card ejected and selected auto scan for cable channels. As soon as it started to run, I pushed the cable card back into the slot and much to my amazement it did not explode or catch on fire and it found channel 148. Now I can do manual recordings on that channel.

I am sure this not a recommended method so do not try this at home unless I guess you are desperate enough to risk losing your recorder.
I guess if it failed you could call Sony for support.
post #29523 of 29549 Old 10-06-2016, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I guess if it failed you could call Sony for support.
Wow, I was just about to type the exact same response! What's that saying about great minds thinking alike? Or should that be similarly-warped minds?

- Kerry
JoeKustra likes this.

TiVo Premiere w/2TB internal upgrade and Lifetime Service. Sony DHG-HDD250 retired in 6/13: CableCARD, 1.2.13 firmware, reset weekday & time as needed with 147412356 code. (further time adjustments by the "Izzy method")

post #29524 of 29549 Old 11-29-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Does this mean the HDD 250s may work again? I cut the cable last month and thinking of buying an OTA dvr. It would be great if these things came back to life.
Still using my 500 - from about 2006. Would figure difference between internal clock and world time - and be able to use pretty much full ability of recorder. Recently pulled one of my beautiful accomplishments. Day after Fall Back time adjustment - found recorder no longer had front clock - and internal clock showed Jan. 1, 1990 ?? and unit would not record. Manual recording attempt brought up a screen which asked if I wanted to connect a VCR. After trying 9012 reset - and more than one hot resets - I thought This Recorder has given all it had - and deserved to be put to rest - so off I went to Channel Master and the (Of Color) Friday DVR+ with 1 Terr internal drive sale. After placing order - tried one more reset - this of the factory hard drive variety - and up jumped 2004 - on internal clock - and all recording ability present and accounted for. Giving credit where credit is due: Sony made a long lasting unit - and I'm wearing out.
Regards to all -
Barry Levy
Troy LaMont and joecass like this.
post #29525 of 29549 Old 11-29-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Levy View Post
Giving credit where credit is due: Sony made a long lasting unit - and I'm wearing out.
Regards to all -
Barry Levy
So true. All four of my units are now in heaven. But if you're looking for a good deal: https://www.tivo.com/ I'd buy two if I could use an antenna.
joecass likes this.
post #29526 of 29549 Old 12-26-2016, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Levy View Post
Still using my 500 - from about 2006. Would figure difference between internal clock and world time - and be able to use pretty much full ability of recorder. Recently pulled one of my beautiful accomplishments. Day after Fall Back time adjustment - found recorder no longer had front clock - and internal clock showed Jan. 1, 1990 ?? and unit would not record. Manual recording attempt brought up a screen which asked if I wanted to connect a VCR. After trying 9012 reset - and more than one hot resets - I thought This Recorder has given all it had - and deserved to be put to rest - so off I went to Channel Master and the (Of Color) Friday DVR+ with 1 Terr internal drive sale. After placing order - tried one more reset - this of the factory hard drive variety - and up jumped 2004 - on internal clock - and all recording ability present and accounted for. Giving credit where credit is due: Sony made a long lasting unit - and I'm wearing out.
Regards to all -
Barry Levy
I had the same problem with one of my three units and cleared it with the TV guide reset. Only annoying problem I have with them is auto reset, which means having to reset the clock and sometimes not getting the programs I scheduled. Also, lost clock display on one of them and haven't figured out how to get it back.
Ray
post #29527 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 09:55 AM

Happy New Year 2017!

I tried using my beloved Sony DHG-HDD250 last night after a long break. Unfortunately, there is no TV guide.

I recall having that same problem in 2010 and used an Artech tuner (which I still have) to solve the problem. Had to connect the Artech to the Sony, press a few buttons, leave it running overnight, and the TV guide grid on the Sony came ALIVE again! Will this work again or has TVGOS stopped broadcasting?

Please suggest an alternative for Sony DHG-HDD250 in case I can't get it running again. The TV guide and easy repeat-recording of nightly and weekly TV series is what I'm after.

Thanks!
post #29528 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othermbx View Post
Happy New Year 2017!

I tried using my beloved Sony DHG-HDD250 last night after a long break. Unfortunately, there is no TV guide.

I recall having that same problem in 2010 and used an Artech tuner (which I still have) to solve the problem. Had to connect the Artech to the Sony, press a few buttons, leave it running overnight, and the TV guide grid on the Sony came ALIVE again! Will this work again or has TVGOS stopped broadcasting?

Please suggest an alternative for Sony DHG-HDD250 in case I can't get it running again. The TV guide and easy repeat-recording of nightly and weekly TV series is what I'm after.

Thanks!
The DHG is still in service as a VCR type device. No guide, no clock. As for alternatives:
2014 list of consumer available DVR's with 2016 updates

I went TiVo since I'm cable only. There is the DVR+ and a larger choice for OTA.
post #29529 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 AM

I have boiled it down to two choices:
- Channel Master DVR+
- Tivo Roamio OTA

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the PICTURE QUALITY of these two?
post #29530 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have boiled it down to two choices:
- Channel Master DVR+
- Tivo Roamio OTA

First: Channel Master DVR+ vs TiVo Roamio OTA

Also, both devices save their content bit for bit (like the DHG). I don't think you will find an answer to your question given the variables of tuners, processors and opinions. But many will try.
post #29531 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
There's no difference. As Joe said, they copy the transmission sent by the station, so there is no quality loss.
post #29532 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Thanks. and I read through the comparison. Very tough choice. Both (with wifi, 1TB hard drive and shipping) are between $350 and $370 from Amazon.
post #29533 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. and I read through the comparison. Very tough choice. Both (with wifi, 1TB hard drive and shipping) are between $350 and $370 from Amazon.
I would not like to be in your shoes. Funny, but both now use a Rovi guide, so there's one item that has changed since that comparison. I would just look at viewing habits, storage needs, and networking. I have four TiVo boxes, but only two are used all the time. And I have four Mini boxes, with only one used right now. What make me happy is a good cable feed, eight tuners and pretty seamless networking. But I don't have the hard drive archive ability or PSIP backup. So good luck.
post #29534 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM

Well, turned out to be an easy decision. I just need to record the late-night talk shows, that's it. Turns out 3 of them (Kimmel, Fallon, Colbert) are on at the same time. So I need at least 3 tuners. Tivo has 4, DVR+ has 2.

***EDIT: I flip-flopped and ordered the DVR+ because:

1) After reading dozens of reviews, it appears the DVR+ has a better tuner than Roamio OTA. Seems like DVR+ tuner is better for rural areas and Roamio is better for metro areas. Saw this in several reviews.

2) Several reviews go on and on about DVR+ great picture quality. Didn't see that for Roamio. I realize they both start with the same signal, but maybe the DVR+ video output path uses a better algorithm or scaler, etc.

Last edited by othermbx; 01-31-2017 at 02:36 PM.
post #29535 of 29549 Old 01-31-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, turned out to be an easy decision. I just need to record the late-night talk shows, that's it. Turns out 3 of them (Kimmel, Fallon, Colbert) are on at the same time. So I need at least 3 tuners. Tivo has 4, DVR+ has 2.

***EDIT: I flip-flopped and ordered the DVR+ because:

1) After reading dozens of reviews, it appears the DVR+ has a better tuner than Roamio OTA. Seems like DVR+ tuner is better for rural areas and Roamio is better for metro areas. Saw this in several reviews.

2) Several reviews go on and on about DVR+ great picture quality. Didn't see that for Roamio. I realize they both start with the same signal, but maybe the DVR+ video output path uses a better algorithm or scaler, etc.
Great. Well, I set my basic Roamio for 1080i and 1080p(pass through). That just means I can watch Amazon movies at 24fps.

I record The Tonight Show, The Late Show and Late Night. Sometimes I'll get Jimmy and I also get The Daily Show. SkipMode works except for Late Night.

More information: http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php and $5 a month is worth it to lose the ads.

Have fun. If you start now you might be able to read all the posts: Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread I have.
post #29536 of 29549 Old 02-12-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Greetings From the Future!

Greetings from the future!

I just want to thank dp70 for these fine directions that resurrected my DHG from the dead...stuck on "Welcome".

You saved me from making a hasty decision on a replacement because of external requirements that Bachelor and Survivor, or some such crap, be recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp70 View Post
Found a front panel service menu this evening. This is dangerous stuff, so don't try this unless you are having a problem and your unit is already out of warranty.

When the unit boots up, the instant Welcome appears, press and hold Menu and Format simultaneously. Keep holding until the display says Repair?. Release both keys.

Then press and hold one of the following keys:
  • Format to get Clear NVM? (NVM = non-volatile memory)
  • Select to get Zero HDD? (resets CPRM code? does not appear to modify the disk itself)
  • Exit to get Wipe Unit? (performs both a Clear NVM and Zero HDD in one operation)
Release the key.

Once one of the above questions is displayed, there is a lengthy confirmation step to actually execute the operation. You'll notice there's a 1 displayed above the operation name.
  1. Press and hold Guide until the number changes to a 2 (takes about 5 seconds).
  2. Release Guide and press Exit until the number changes to a 3.
  3. Release Exit and press Format until the number changes to a 4 - the operation will then begin.
post #29537 of 29549 Old 06-01-2017, 05:12 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Made a dumb move by entering my zip in the TVGOS setup just for kicks and the 250 unit acts
up with laggy FF/RR and freezing.

I put in '00000' for the zip, but unsteady performance remained and finally a self-ReBoot.

I'm now minus 3 hours 56 minutes behind current time. Adjusted Scheduled Events as needed.
Events and Day-of-Week remained intact. I haven't done a 'Code Reset' in ages. I just keep
adjusting the Scheduled Events as needed until one day the Day-of-Week is out of sync.

Seems to be operating better for now. Lesson: Don't activate TVGOS even when TVGOS had
been dead for a while and never coming back to these units.

This 250 still works great as an everyday news record/watch and a few weekly programs.

post #29538 of 29549 Old 06-02-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
This 250 still works great as an everyday news record/watch and a few weekly programs.

I'm glad you are still getting good use out of it, with minimal headaches. I am saving mine to use in case I want to set-up a second TV (I live alone now, so it really isn't needed), but I should probably plug in the Sony once a year or so to spin the HDD and the fan. Using the TiVo, I'm happy with most aspects, except that I still miss some Sony features, like being able to bookmark moments on the timeline (so I could jump to those points in future viewing), and the better, adjustable skip ahead/back and smart cue functions. Other than those, the ability to save programs on external drives is what puts the TiVo far ahead. (I have collected almost 700 movies so far) I still hate Rovi for pulling the plug on the TVG data feed, and the fact that they bought TiVo disgusts me as well, but what the heck -- I bought my TiVo used with lifetime service already on it, so TiVo/Rovi isn't really making money on me.

- Kerry

TiVo Premiere w/2TB internal upgrade and Lifetime Service. Sony DHG-HDD250 retired in 6/13: CableCARD, 1.2.13 firmware, reset weekday & time as needed with 147412356 code. (further time adjustments by the "Izzy method")
post #29539 of 29549 Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Amazing these machines still work some 12 years after they were manufactured. I've been wondering about something for years.... if a Sony DHG was connected via USB to a Linux desktop, would the computer be able to read the operating system settings ? The Sony O.S. is supposed to be partly a type of open source Linux.
Maybe then.... the correct time & date could be set without the necessity of TV Guide data, or using time-offset
calculations. I still have my two DHG machines, both operable, but got really tired of trying to adjust timers to real time. Thus, they remain 'retired' in my closet.
post #29540 of 29549 Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post

I still have my two DHG machines, both operable,
but got really tired of trying to adjust timers to real-time.
Thus, they remain 'retired' in my closet.

Yeah, trying to keep 'em in real-time is a pain. What I do
is get the Day-of-the-Week in sync and let the time drift
and adjust the Schedule Timers once a month or longer.

I will do a Code Reset on a Wednesday night if I ever lose
Day-of-the-Week sync again. Of the last few lock-up/resets,
I still have everything intact except for the Event Timer
adjustments.

So, it's been quite a while since I had the need for a Thursday
12:00am Code Reset to sync days of the week.

Code Reset: 653 214 741

post #29541 of 29549 Old 06-03-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 28
For your amusement and edification:

I have had a TiVo PremierXL for a few years. Its tuners like Goldilocks signals, not too strong and not too weak. And very little multipath. The local ABC tower is close by but the picture is a total mess. Other stations have signal strength problems.

My DHG-500 is over 11 years old and periodically stops responding to the remote until rebooted. BUT it produces problem-free watching of the stations that are a mess on TiVo.

Is this what is called progress?
post #29542 of 29549 Old 06-03-2017, 04:37 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post

My DHG-500 is over 11 years old and periodically
stops responding to the remote until rebooted.

The only way I know of to get the maximum stabilization on these units is to wipe the TVGOS part of the software.
It's been a long time, but somewhere in this Thread there's mention of it, whether it's the Code I'm now using or
some other one.

I've gone months and months of trouble-free issues with my 250 until I entered my zip in the TVGOS, just to prove to
myself again that lock-ups, etc will start again... and it did - within a day or two!

The key thing when a lock-up happens is NOT to pile-up on commands one after another. Stop entering any commands.
It'll usually recover on its own or it may ReBoot in a less 'destructive' manner where usually only the time gets further
away, but you may retain Scheduled Events and if synced previously, Day-of-the-Week.

post #29543 of 29549 Old 06-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, trying to keep 'em in real-time is a pain. What I do
is get the Day-of-the-Week in sync and let the time drift
and adjust the Schedule Timers once a month or longer.

I will do a Code Reset on a Wednesday night if I ever lose
Day-of-the-Week sync again. Of the last few lock-up/resets,
I still have everything intact except for the Event Timer
adjustments.

So, it's been quite a while since I had the need for a Thursday
12:00am Code Reset to sync days of the week.

Code Reset: 653 214 741

I have three working units but set only the time of day. Occasionally, I also get the right day. Seems like all of them do a random reset. I'm not willing to wait days to get correct day of week. I'm not familiar with Code Reset. How does it differ from front panel reboot? Could you post the details of how to use it?

I set the zip code to all zeros to minimize random reboot. Is there something else that I can do?
post #29544 of 29549 Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1938 View Post

I have three working units but set only the time of day.
Occasionally, I also get the right day. Seems like all of
them do a random reset. I'm not willing to wait days to
get correct day of week. I'm not familiar with Code Reset.

How does it differ from front panel reboot?
Could you post the details of how to use it?

I set the zip code to all zeros to minimize random reboot.
Is there something else that I can do?

I've gone the longest ever, without a reset that would put
me out of sync with the Day-of-the-Week. Many months!
I just have to adjust the Scheduled Recordings once in a
while to account for the internal clock drift.

I believe random reboots can be minimized further by not
using the Guide System at all, including the 'all-zeros' Zip
Code! When I recently did this, I could hear the relay
clicking inside every so often and the unit became more
unstable. (The clicking being the constant search on Cable
and OTA looking for the 'TVGOS' channel.)

I'll have to dig through this Thread and/or find my scribbled
notes somewhere on the 'Secret Codes' / 'Reset Codes' that
other members first posted on these.

I think one of these 'Codes' wipes the TVGOS 'clean'.
The units are the most stable when this is done and I'd advise
not play with the TVGOS ever again, including any setup with
entering valid or invalid zips, such as the "00000" zip.

post #29545 of 29549 Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've gone the longest ever, without a reset that would put
me out of sync with the Day-of-the-Week. Many months!
I just have to adjust the Scheduled Recordings once in a
while to account for the internal clock drift.

I believe random reboots can be minimized further by not
using the Guide System at all, including the 'all-zeros' Zip
Code! When I recently did this, I could hear the relay
clicking inside every so often and the unit became more
unstable. (The clicking being the constant search on Cable
and OTA looking for the 'TVGOS' channel.)

I'll have to dig through this Thread and/or find my scribbled
notes somewhere on the 'Secret Codes' / 'Reset Codes' that
other members first posted on these.

I think one of these 'Codes' wipes the TVGOS 'clean'.
The units are the most stable when this is done and I'd advise
not play with the TVGOS ever again, including any setup with
entering valid or invalid zips, such as the "00000" zip.

The only reset code I believe is 9012, and as I recall, one option is TV guide reset. Is that the one you used? I've never observed any time drift, perhaps because of the frequent reboots.
post #29546 of 29549 Old 06-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1938 View Post
I'm not familiar with Code Reset. How does it differ from front panel reboot? Could you post the details of how to use it?
There are many 9-digit codes used to test/service DHG. Some examples are:
193758246 Service Information
147412356 Warm Reset (what I used to initialize weekday and time)
653214741 Cold Reset
653274147 System Reset (one of the more "destructive" resets, but subsequent use of Warm Reset provided a fairly stable set-up)

The more destructive codes are the ones that wiped-out the front panel clock display, maybe the old channel grid when we had TVGuide data. If you already have no clock readout on the front panel (just dashes), there isn't much to lose when using the destructive resets. You can enter a code by going to TVGuide, then to the Setup tab, move down to Change System Settings and if not already active press the "info" button once to get the small info box, then enter the 9-digit code.

After using a code to reset the unit a few hours before midnight, I would use the "Izzy method" (see link in my signature) the next day to freeze DHG's clock, and then start it up at that exact time. Except for the code list, much of this is from memory, so hopefully someone else can clarify / elaborate.

- Kerry

post #29547 of 29549 Old 07-08-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mine is blocked off while we do a renovation. But I guess it's time to watch that last movie on it, and pull the HDDs for other uses, and play Taps....

Reunite Pangea!
post #29548 of 29549 Old 07-08-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post
Mine is blocked off while we do a renovation. But I guess it's time to watch that last movie on it, and pull the HDDs for other uses, and play Taps....
Sad. But what's next? Have you made a decision?
post #29549 of 29549 Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Back in the Box

I have put the DHG-HDD500 back in the box; it still works perfectly, except of course no TV-Guide or Clock. 12 years use, not too bad.

I have put a Terk gismo from Frys ($30) in its place and added an old 500GB Seagate drive to it. Been using that for about 2 weeks now, it seems to work ok.

The Terk has a "tiny" EPG and Clock data it gets from the stations; which in Dallas seems to work fine. The Terk, like the Sony before it, is the catch all to get what my overloaded Tivo cannot get.

I might sell the Sony some day or keep it as a collectors item LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page