Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't remember the details, but I recall that Microsoft forced the data rate to 100 Mbps in SP2 for compatibility purposes (perhaps with 1394b spec?). The JVC D-VHS decks want to connect at 200 Mbps and the Mits. decks prefer 400 Mbps, so I think the trouble stems from negotiating the bus speed. This point may be moot since the Firebus software installs its own 1394 driver. Then again, bear in mind that most of the active development of the Firebus software occured during the WinXP SP1 era.

-Dylan

PS: Found it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #33 of 42 Old 03-08-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
If someone would actually design this software correctly (read: so it works), I know bunches of people that would buy it.
Well, that and do away with the ridiculous copy protection that ties it to your 1394 card. Want to upgrade your PC? Buy a new one? You get to buy a new copy. And if they stop supporting the product, just by re-installing Windows, you'll lose your right to use it.

Put my name and address in the binary you send me so you can track me down if I post it on the Internet! But don't penalize a paying customer for your piracy concerns.

Xesdeeni
post #34 of 42 Old 03-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

It appears to me that the demo DTVR software makes some permanent modifications to the registry and the startup routine of WinXP, even after you uninstall it, apparently to prevent a users from obtaining a second trial period. For all I know, the software may be making more agregious changes to my OS that are not openly communicated, as was the case with the Turbotax C-dilla controversy two years ago and SONY music CD's DRM more recently.

Steve
post #35 of 42 Old 03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The tying of each installation to the EUI64 of your 1394 card is certainly stupid, but I think the dumbest thing vividlogic guys pulled is writing their own 1394 stack and replacing a perfectly fine working Microsoft stack with it - especially when it wasn't really necessary. But then again, you can't expect much from a project that was entirely made in india by some outsourcing company. And as far as "protection" on the software goes, well, its kinda funny-looking.
post #36 of 42 Old 03-09-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I've read independent verification that the MS 1394 stack can't handle what is needed for transfer to/from a TV (isochronous maybe?). So I wouldn't attack them for that. But I'm right behind you if you complain about inflexible software (only one path for recording and playback, only one source drive for playback, only one accepted file extension, etc.), buggy software, missing obvious features (30-second skip, jump fwd, jump back, etc.--ffw & rew are impractical with this type of digital data and 1394), inability to handle low(!) bitrate streams, and ridiculous copy protection. :-)

Xesdeeni
post #37 of 42 Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

It can.
Proof = the panasonic AV/C filter drivers which do async and iso transfers just fine as client drivers, and with proper coding skills, virtual 1394 subunit driver CAN do the same exact thing.
post #38 of 42 Old 03-13-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs

My email chain follows, and it should be noted that as of this writing, I have received no reply to my last response:
I figured I would update on responses from VividLogic to date, and it seems like they may finally look into it. I got this email from them following my last few exchanges:

-------------------
You have a file named "ConfigLogSvr.exe" (100 KB) waiting for download.

Hi Scott, Please send us file you recorded using the URL: http://www.yousendit.com. Also, please find attached a diagnostic tool "configlogsvr" which logs all the actions of FireBus DTVR. The instructions to use this tool are given below: 1) Change the Windows service settings (so that the log files do not get over written on reboot). Go to control panel -> Administrative Tools->Services From the list of services, choose FireBus DTVR. Double click on FireBus DTVR. In the settings for this service, change Startup Type to 'Manual' from the current setting of 'Auto'. Select 'Apply' followed by 'OK'. FireBus Service cleans up the log file everytime it starts up. This is why we are setting the service to manual mode. Please make sure that service is in manual mode and start it manually only for the case where we are capturing the logs. When the PC reboots after a recording, please do not start the service. First copy or rename the log file before starting the service. 2) Configure the logging application Unzip the attached zip file using WinZip. Copy conFigLogSvr.exe application to the FireBusDTVR/Bin folder of your installation. (e.g., C:/Program Files/FireBusDTVR/Bin). Double click to start the application. On the Application's UI, make the following selections: Option: 1) ALL LOG MESSAGES TraceLevel: Maximum Exclusives: Check all the check boxes General Settings: Check File Logging After you make the selections, click Apply and then choose OK. After the logserver is configured as above, start a recording to the PC DTVR as you have tried before. Logs will be created in the FireBusDTVR/log folder. Please send us the vl_FirebusLog_1.log file. You can set the FireBus DTVR service back to 'Auto' mode after sending the log file. Please do not share the ConfigLogSvr application. This application has been provided only for debugging purposes. Please send us the logs and the content recorded during the recording session which fails for you. We will analyse the logs and see what the problem is. Thanks & regards, VividLogic support

You can click on the following link to retrieve your file. The link will expire in 7 days
and will be available for a limited number of downloads.

ConfigLogSvr.exe (100 KB)

This email was automatically generated, please do not reply to it.

If you have any questions, please email support@yousendit.com.

The YouSendIt Team

If your email client does not accept HTML, please use this link to download your file:
http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...F3SH8567WNXDGO

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:53 PM
To: Support Support
Subject: RE: Firebus Issues

Thank you again for your reply, but I assure you I DO know how to read, and am aware of the in-the-clear requirement from your documentation. I am also aware of the specification that DTVR supports ATSC conforming streams of "about 19.39 mbps", and I also successfully read the response below that says DTVR supports "up to 24 Mbps".

1.) I confirmed all of my content channel sources are flagged as COPY FREE, so digital content protection is not the issue in this case.

2.) You have stated the high bound for bit-rate as 24 mbps, and I conclude from the other documentation that the nominal rate is 19.39 mbps. Can you inform me what the lower bound for bit-rate is please?

If at all possible, I would prefer suggested troubleshooting recommendations, rather than random snippets from the product specification sheet.

Thanks,
Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Support Support [mailto:support@zmail.vividlogic.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 3:47 AM
Subject: Re: Firebus Issues

Hi Scott,

PC DTVR records ONLY IN THE CLEAR contents. This means that it will not record any scrambled or copy protected HD data. You are able to record and play back to the integrated AVDisc because this AVDisc has digital content protection support.

Thanks and regards
Vivilogic Support
post #39 of 42 Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
If someone would actually design this software correctly (read: so it works), I know bunches of people that would buy it.

I second this.

Mitsu 65731 DLP 1080p
Harman AV-435
Harman DV-22 DVD
Koolance Water Cooled Computer
Xbox 360 HD-DVD
PS2
post #40 of 42 Old 11-07-2006, 10:42 AM

Is this the only option out there for a PC? Is there any other software that will record via firewire from a cable box?
post #41 of 42 Old 11-07-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0r
Is this the only option out there for a PC? Is there any other software that will record via firewire from a cable box?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5&page=1&pp=30
post #42 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page