New moto 6412 with HDMI and SATA - Page 58 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > New moto 6412 with HDMI and SATA

HDTV Recorders

Zodiacal's Avatar Zodiacal
09:17 PM Liked: 10
post #1711 of 1929
12-09-2006 | Posts: 98
i only have the digital coax port used on the DVR. it plugs into my digital input on my sony amp, on the digital coax in port labled for dvd. my amp's screen says PCM 48 when i start playing my DVR. when i pause my dvr the amp says UNLOCK. is there a setting for my DVR that tells it to use 5.1 for the digital coax? cuz like i said the optical works fine but im using the optical port on my amp for something else. i guess i can get get a optical spliter or somthing....
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928
10:05 PM Liked: 137
post #1712 of 1929
12-09-2006 | Posts: 4,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post

I have a 6412 III in Frisco TX from TWC (formerly Comcast) Currently, it is only hooked up to a cheap 13"tv via composite video until my HD gear arrives.

My problem is that I cannot seem to record 2 channels, or record one and watch another. I recorded the shuttle launch tonight. If I tried to change channels, I kept getting a menu that said"

Tour recording is in progress. Changing the channel will stop this recording.

The choices are Continue Recording, or Stop recording and change channel.

Any ideas on this?

You need to press the "swap" button on your remote. Then you can change the channel to record one channel and watch another.
wildrock's Avatar wildrock
10:42 PM Liked: 10
post #1713 of 1929
12-09-2006 | Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

You need to press the "swap" button on your remote. Then you can change the channel to record one channel and watch another.

It was a recent SW update that enabled the swap on some systems. On Bresnan, until we got our most recent update, you'd get the same message as above. One of the benefits of the new software is that it enabled an option in the same box that says something like "keep recording but swap channels." It also enabled the swap button on the remote, which hadn't worked before.

What version of SW do you have?
TimHuey's Avatar TimHuey
10:46 PM Liked: 13
post #1714 of 1929
12-09-2006 | Posts: 1,897
I have a Westy 37 1080p LCD "monitor" and I'm getting the loss of HDCP and static when I turn off the TV and leave the cable box on. I know this has been reported here many times and I want to report it to Moto so they know lots of angry viewers are out there.

My question is, how do I report it. Do I go to the Moto website? Do I call the support guy in India at 800-comcast? Whats the best way to make sure my complaint gets to them. This has been doing this for way to long. I'm sure a firmware update will fix it.

Tim Huey
11:04 PM Liked: 10
post #1715 of 1929
12-09-2006 | Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post

I have a Westy 37 1080p LCD "monitor" and I'm getting the loss of HDCP and static when I turn off the TV and leave the cable box on. I know this has been reported here many times and I want to report it to Moto so they know lots of angry viewers are out there.

I have the Westy 37w3 and the 6412 pIII also, using HDMI. But I don't get the problem that you describe. Are you connecting via HDMI? Or DVI, or HDMI->DVI cable? I'm running S/W 73.44

It's usually easier to complain to your local cable csr. That's what I do. I'm on my third moto box in 18 months. This one is going as soon as Bresnan releases the Pace Micro box. This software s*cks. Locks up all the time, and lost the 30 sec skip.
djm's Avatar djm
01:05 AM Liked: 10
post #1716 of 1929
12-10-2006 | Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post

I have a brand new Olevia 342i 42" LCD Monitor that is showing the same problem, though I don't think the particular monitor has anything to do with it.
It's a HDMI->HDMI cable from the 6412 III (firmware 16.20, s/w ver 74.53 - 3321) to the monitor and it works great until the monitor is shut off. When the monitor comes back on I see a blank black screen or snow. I have to turn the cable box off and then on again to get it working. It's like the cable box will not restore the sync/handshake/whatever with the monitor if it goes off.
I leave the cable box on all the time due to its inability to turn it off if it's in the middle of a recording (without stopping the recording first).

So if the TV was off and I want it on, the HDMI signal is dead until the cable box is turned off and then on again. Adding insult to injury, the interface to "stop recording and turn the box off" is on the screen that you now cannot see because the screen is blank! So every time you want to sit down to watch TV, you have to turn the monitor on, then if the DVR is recording, reach behind the cable box, unplug it, plug it back in, wait for it to reset, then the signal comes through again and starts recording again. Brilliant Motorola! How did you come up with such a seamless interface! lol

I'd use component, but this monitor only has 1 component input and that's used up by my DVD player. So the alternative there is to reach behind the tv and play cable swap everytime I want to watch the DVR or the DVD.

I can't find many other mentions of this particular problem. I wonder if the 6416 fixes this problem? Anyone have any idea?

I contacted Comcast and surprise surprise, they "never heard of it before". Funny too when I mentioned this site I got the company line "you can't trust anything from that non-comcast site", at which point I laughed in the rep's face reminding him that there's more useful info here than any comcast drone could possibly ever provide and suggested he spend some time here. Hello!
videoguy60467's Avatar videoguy60467
08:52 AM Liked: 10
post #1717 of 1929
12-10-2006 | Posts: 598
Quote:

Thanks! That did the trick. I am used to the SA8300HD, and it allows you to do two channels without hitting any "swap" key. It also has PIP. No PIP on the MOTO
puck71's Avatar puck71
12:18 PM Liked: 10
post #1718 of 1929
12-10-2006 | Posts: 450
Quote:

Thanks! That did the trick. I am used to the SA8300HD, and it allows you to do two channels without hitting any "swap" key. It also has PIP. No PIP on the MOTO

As mentioned above, a software update to the box adds a "swap" option to the on-screen prompt when you try to change channels while you're recording. So if you're recording something and enter a new channel, in addition to the options you mentioned (stop recording and cancel channel change) you get a swap option. It's just a nicety - I still use the swap button since it's faster anyway.
01:00 PM Liked: 10
post #1719 of 1929
12-10-2006 | Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post

I leave the cable box on all the time due to its inability to turn it off if it's in the middle of a recording (without stopping the recording first).

So if the TV was off and I want it on, the HDMI signal is dead until the cable box is turned off and then on again. Adding insult to injury, the interface to "stop recording and turn the box off" is on the screen that you now cannot see because the screen is blank! So every time you want to sit down to watch TV, you have to turn the monitor on, then if the DVR is recording, reach behind the cable box, unplug it, plug it back in, wait for it to reset, then the signal comes through again and starts recording again. Brilliant Motorola! How did you come up with such a seamless interface! lol

Yah, I hate the moto interface, too. I'm running HDMI from my 6412 pIII to my westy 37w3, but I'm also running a composite video cable. I'm running the composite from the 6412 to my Yamaha receiver, then from the receiver to the westy so I can access the onscreen menus from my Yamaha when I want to (gotta upgrade to an HDMI switching receiver sometime). So if you were to route a composite signal from the 6412 to your panel (I assume it has an open composite connection), then you could just change inputs, kill your recording, turn the moto off, switch inputs to HDMI, and then turn on the moto, and you should be fine. Still a PITA, and you get a gap in your recording, but you avoid having to unplug the box and wait for all the programming info to backfill.
odiggity's Avatar odiggity
01:00 PM Liked: 10
post #1720 of 1929
12-10-2006 | Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post

I contacted Comcast and surprise surprise, they "never heard of it before". Funny too when I mentioned this site I got the company line "you can't trust anything from that non-comcast site", at which point I laughed in the rep's face reminding him that there's more useful info here than any comcast drone could possibly ever provide and suggested he spend some time here. Hello!

I had the same problem and I got around it by unplugging the cable and plugging it back in. they quoted the same line to be on the phone too. they swapped the box out for the older 1 with dvi. he gave me an hdmi to dvi cable, so not a total loss.

i just switched to rcn and got the 6412 III and it does not have the problem.

i'm still upset about the loss of dolby5.1 over the hdmi. my tv has discrete 6 channel output, but no digital input (go figure). so i have a ad hoc surround sound system, but can'[t get dolby.

I tried the firewire connection and was able to get the audio, but the onscreen guide was missing. althought the controls still worked. same on both comcast and rcn's version of the box.
djm's Avatar djm
01:51 PM Liked: 10
post #1721 of 1929
12-10-2006 | Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiggity View Post

I had the same problem and I got around it by unplugging the cable and plugging it back in. they quoted the same line to be on the phone too. they swapped the box out for the older 1 with dvi. he gave me an hdmi to dvi cable, so not a total loss.

Hey Thanks, that does work. Still a PITA, but better than power cycling the 6412 midrecording! I have a tech coming over on Tuesday. I'll mention the DVI->HDMI solution you recommended too. And actually that's fine for me since I'm using the optical out on the 6412 direct to my receiver anyway, so I don't even need the audio.
debyrd's Avatar debyrd
04:43 PM Liked: 11
post #1722 of 1929
12-11-2006 | Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMZombie View Post

so is the hunt for a bigger hard drive still in effect? or is the internal swap not working with anything other than same size drive and what about external? sorry read alot tonight but have to goto sleep...

My 3412 has a 400 gig drive installed. Under firmware 12.31 the rig thinks it has a 160 drive instead of the original 120.

Comcast just upgraded me to 16.20 a couple of days ago. I will force a reformat if my wife and I can ever empty the drive. We have several programs to view first.
I am hoping it will see the drive as a 320 gig, which is the maximum size for this model. I will post the results of the re-format.

-Byrd
debyrd's Avatar debyrd
04:47 PM Liked: 11
post #1723 of 1929
12-11-2006 | Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMZombie View Post

so is the hunt for a bigger hard drive still in effect? or is the internal swap not working with anything other than same size drive and what about external?

External SATA. It never worked before but now that 16.20 is out, someone should try it. Thanks GMZombie.

-Byrd
scanpa's Avatar scanpa
07:38 PM Liked: 10
post #1724 of 1929
12-11-2006 | Posts: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by debyrd View Post

External SATA. It never worked before but now that 16.20 is out, someone should try it. Thanks GMZombie.

-Byrd

Were still waiting on Motorola to fix the DRM problem in the DVR code.

There hoping to have a fix for all MSO's that are users of the QIP / DCT series of DVR STB, by summer 2007.

Untill this problem is fixed no MSO is allowed to set eSATA port to ON.
debyrd's Avatar debyrd
08:52 AM Liked: 11
post #1725 of 1929
12-12-2006 | Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

Were still waiting on Motorola to fix the DRM problem in the DVR code.

There hoping to have a fix for all MSO's that are users of the QIP / DCT series of DVR STB, by summer 2007.

Untill this problem is fixed no MSO is allowed to set eSATA port to ON.

Thanks for the info. I assumed the limitation was a Comcast thing.

-Byrd
MatNeh's Avatar MatNeh
04:12 PM Liked: 10
post #1726 of 1929
12-12-2006 | Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickburns View Post

Jim, thanks for your reply. I wired the Moto 6412 with HDMI to the display and Toslink to the receiver. This worked fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

I also tried wiring the digital audio from Moto to TV (Panasonic TH-37PX60U) to Receiver (Denon AVR-3300). This did NOT work. No sound at all.

Yep, this is the way to hook things up. If you connect Moto to TV via HDMI and TV to receiver via optical, you'll still always get 2-channel even on Dolby Digital channels.

At least, that is the case for the Panasonics (TH-*PX60U)
02:45 PM Liked: 10
post #1727 of 1929
12-19-2006 | Posts: 959
Well, I'm off to a new thread for PVR support. Bresnan just started wide distribution of the Pace Micro TDC-775D, and I just traded in the 6412 . Thankfully, I am rid of the 6412. I suppose there will be a whole new crop of problems. But I now have an active eSATA port. No more limiting HD recording to 12 hours. No more lockups, ignored commands, slow program load times, etc. If I notice any marked changes in PQ or anything, I'll stop in and say hi!
videoguy60467's Avatar videoguy60467
08:16 PM Liked: 10
post #1728 of 1929
12-19-2006 | Posts: 598
I am in Frisco, TX in a Time Warner market (formerly Comcast)

I have a 6412 III that I am hooking up to a JVC 46" LCD via HDMI. I am not getting any signal through HDMI. Component works fine at 1080i. Is there any menu setting to make sure that the HDMI port is on? I have tried power off on the STB, and the TV.
Arvy's Avatar Arvy
10:01 PM Liked: 42
post #1729 of 1929
12-19-2006 | Posts: 587
Quote:

I am in Frisco, TX in a Time Warner market (formerly Comcast)

I have a 6412 III that I am hooking up to a JVC 46" LCD via HDMI. I am not getting any signal through HDMI. Component works fine at 1080i. Is there any menu setting to make sure that the HDMI port is on? I have tried power off on the STB, and the TV.

If you have firmware v.16.20 on a 6416 III, there are HMDI issues that will cause the problem you see. Quoting: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...#Version_16.20

[edit] Version 16.20
Available for Models: DCT-64xx PI, PII & PIII, DCT-34xx
Available Date: 2006-09-20
Build Date: 2006-07-13 15:06:09
Bugfixes:
Tuners fail to tune to a channel following a scheduled recording.
New Bugs:
Audio dropouts and digital video artifacts when watching a recorded or buffered program.
Corruption of DVI/HDMI video outputs.
DVR erroneously claims to be 100% full.
kaetamer's Avatar kaetamer
10:09 PM Liked: 10
post #1730 of 1929
12-19-2006 | Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrock View Post

Well, I'm off to a new thread for PVR support. Bresnan just started wide distribution of the Pace Micro TDC-775D, and I just traded in the 6412 . Thankfully, I am rid of the 6412. I suppose there will be a whole new crop of problems. But I now have an active eSATA port. No more limiting HD recording to 12 hours. No more lockups, ignored commands, slow program load times, etc. If I notice any marked changes in PQ or anything, I'll stop in and say hi!

No cable card slot in the unit - goodbye HBO-HD, SHO-HD, ESPN-HD, etc.

Right?
10:14 PM Liked: 10
post #1731 of 1929
12-19-2006 | Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetamer View Post

No cable card slot in the unit - goodbye HBO-HD, SHO-HD, ESPN-HD, etc.

Right?

No cable card--but didn't have one in the 6412, either. And I still get all of my HD channels, inclluding the ones you mention.
kaetamer's Avatar kaetamer
01:33 AM Liked: 10
post #1732 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrock View Post

No cable card--but didn't have one in the 6412, either. And I still get all of my HD channels, inclluding the ones you mention.

You've intrigued me. I always assumed the cable co enabled the 64xx to decrypt whatever you've paid for. Getting the major networks in HD is easy. Decrypting the others, not so.

Are you saying the TDC775 has similar capability? Or is a wink as good as a nod to a blind horse?

bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928
07:59 AM Liked: 137
post #1733 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 4,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetamer View Post

You've intrigued me. I always assumed the cable co enabled the 64xx to decrypt whatever you've paid for. Getting the major networks in HD is easy. Decrypting the others, not so.

Are you saying the TDC775 has similar capability? Or is a wink as good as a nod to a blind horse?

Ummmm, I think Wildrock is saying that he traded his Motorola for a Pace at Comcast because it was available to him. Comcast can enable that Pace as easily as the Motorola.
11:35 AM Liked: 10
post #1734 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 959
Quote:

Ummmm, I think Wildrock is saying that he traded his Motorola for a Pace at Comcast because it was available to him. Comcast can enable that Pace as easily as the Motorola.

That's right. Except it's Bresnan. There is a cable card slot in the Pace box, but there isn't anything in it. Enabling is done from the head end. I do have to call Bresnan today, though, as my 3 HD channels that I pay for are blocked after the switch. Bresnan gives me 9 channels of hd (including HBO and Starz because I pay for the SD service) included in my standard digital service (2 locals, though 2 more on the way).

First impressions:
  • Same Guide, so no changes there
    runs cooler, same noise level
    active eSATA
    much faster response to remote commands
    weaker menu system
    confusing ouput resolution and format options (had to try all options to find best one)
    lack of configuration menu to see installed options, hard drive size, etc.
    no info on programming remote to regain 30 sec. skip, zoom, pip
    bright blue power light--must tape over, too dim clock
    has passthrough options for component, video, and audio input (optical, too)
    has firewire, usb, and ethernet ports--will probe

My understanding is that Pace Micro has been pushing this box as an alternative to Motorola's boxes, and is trying to make them an easy swap in and out. A little competition for moto in the stb area would be great. My first impressions are favorable.
11:50 AM Liked: 10
post #1735 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 98
My 6412 III is very buggy. since time warner is now my cable co. (was comcast). timewarner has different models of HD DVR's on its web site. would you guys suggest i switch to one of these? SA Explorer 8000 / SA Explorer 8300? if so which one? are they as buggy as the 6412 III? lockups, slow button responce, sound breakups, etc....
jeremyhelling's Avatar jeremyhelling
12:01 PM Liked: 15
post #1736 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 1,112
I've done a search and can't seem to find where I found the 'swap' programming code in the past. Could someone please post the programming code for adding a swap button to one of the buttons on a Comcast 6412 silver programmable remote? I would also like the programming code for the back (15 sec) button that is at the top. I'm trying to make the PIP buttons an array of skipping buttons with a layout that would be easier than having the forward skips at the bottom and the backward skip near the top of the remote.

Thanks!
therealgeno's Avatar therealgeno
12:04 PM Liked: 10
post #1737 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

The 6412 (to my knowledge) using the passport software doesn't allow you to output native resolution automatically like the SA8300 and the Tivo S3. You have to designate 720p or 1080i for your HD content. If you were willing, I suppose you could go into your 6412 setup menu and change the output depending on the native resolution of the signal, but that would be a lot of trouble.

When in the HELL is Motorola going to get this right? When I switched to Comcast, I was unaware that not all boxes allowed the "native passthrough" option. The 6412 pales in comparison to my old SA8300.
12:06 PM Liked: 10
post #1738 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealgeno View Post

The 6412 pales in comparison to my old SA8300.

I guess that answers my question two posts up eh?
snidely's Avatar snidely
02:15 PM Liked: 24
post #1739 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 1,508
1. Does HDMI pass thru CC? I have no trouble w. component connection but do w. HDMI.
2. W. component I get CC on all channels (analog and digital) but don't get CC on the HD channels. Is there some setting I am missing on either the DVR box or the display? Using a Panny 50PX60u.

Thanks.

...mike
therealgeno's Avatar therealgeno
02:33 PM Liked: 10
post #1740 of 1929
12-20-2006 | Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiacal View Post

I guess that answers my question two posts up eh?

Sorry.........Go with the SA8300. No doubt about it. I have really been dissapointed with the Motorola.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread