New moto 6412 with HDMI and SATA - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The fan in my Phase III unit is whisper quiet. The same can not be said for the hdd itself... it chatters quite a bit. Sometimes I pause what I'm watching just to let the hdd catch its breath.

mr2828 - it sounds like you got a bad unit.

I have noticed one disturbing trend. If I'm recording an HD channel, the other tuner seems to be dropping frames while watching another HD show. This doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened often enough for me to take notice. If this sort of thing is resolved by a firmware update, I may never see it since my cable co. (RCN Lehigh Valley) doesn't seem interested in pushing down updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan View Post

The fan in my Phase III unit is whisper quiet. The same can not be said for the hdd itself... it chatters quite a bit. Sometimes I pause what I'm watching just to let the hdd catch its breath.

mr2828 - it sounds like you got a bad unit.

I have noticed one disturbing trend. If I'm recording an HD channel, the other tuner seems to be dropping frames while watching another HD show. This doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened often enough for me to take notice. If this sort of thing is resolved by a firmware update, I may never see it since my cable co. (RCN Lehigh Valley) doesn't seem interested in pushing down updates.

you might have a signal power issue.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #183 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

you might have a signal power issue.

Seems unlikely since it was recording during the times I noticed frames dropping. As soon as the recording on the other tuner finished, the picture was perfect. I've also checked signal levels and both tuners are good.
post #184 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan View Post

Seems unlikely since it was recording during the times I noticed frames dropping. As soon as the recording on the other tuner finished, the picture was perfect. I've also checked signal levels and both tuners are good.

Were you recording on tuner 1 and watching live TV on tuner 2? You could still have a signal power issue. When the recording was over did you swap tuners to see if the live picture on the channel that was recording was okay?
post #185 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 03:10 PM

It was asked before but never answered. Because the 6412 is a two-tuner STB, can you use it for PIP and more importantly, HD PIP?

I see that you have one HDMI port so you would probably have to use a Component out (no DVI?)
post #186 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijackz View Post

It was asked before but never answered. Because the 6412 is a two-tuner STB, can you use it for PIP and more importantly, HD PIP?

I see that you have one HDMI port so you would probably have to use a Component out (no DVI?)

No.

The same Video signal is sent to all Outputs at the same time. The PIP buttons on the remote are for your TV/Monitor PIP (if you have that option).

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #187 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

No.

The same Video signal is sent to all Outputs at the same time. The PIP buttons on the remote are for your TV/Monitor PIP (if you have that option).

Does this hold true for the PIII boxes? They at least have chipset support for 2 HDTV PIP. Don't know if the bussing to the connectors and the software is there or planned.
post #188 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm View Post

Does this hold true for the PIII boxes? They at least have chipset support for 2 HDTV PIP. Don't know if the bussing to the connectors and the software is there or planned.

Concerning the capabilities of the Phase III box, I think it boils down to what Comcast wants to support/deal with. The box itself seems to be a very capable one for a multitude of functions.
post #189 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

How to program the remote for 30, 60, 90, 120 (and
more) Second Skip

Create a 30 second skip using the following
directions:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote
to put it into
Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the
"Cable" button blinks twice.

This may be a stupid question, but the remote that came with my 6412 doesn't have a setup button. I don't see a model number on the remote but it is a Motorola product. Along the top are four device buttons (audio, DVD, TV, and Cable). Where should the Setup button be located?
post #190 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

If it doesn't look like this one then I don't know what to tell you, I have no experience with anything else.

post #191 of 1929 Old 09-16-2005, 08:50 PM

Thank you folks for the information. I now have quick skip on my cable HD DVR.
post #192 of 1929 Old 09-17-2005, 05:12 AM

Mine looks exactly like the one on the Motorola site. I did some more checking and it's the DRC800 remote. Check out the picture on page 13 of the online manual. The manual is URMD2.pdf (Sorry, I'm a new poster so it's not letting me include URLs).
post #193 of 1929 Old 09-17-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just looked at that remote and I don't know anything about it, someone else here might though.

http://broadband.motorola.com/catalo...?ProductID=392
Motorola - Template

post #194 of 1929 Old 09-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

I used to have one of those with the very first 6412 I got last year. You don't want it - there is no way to program the 30-second skip on it, plus it is not as ergonomic to use/hold as the silver remote, and also I think the IR emitter in it may be a bit less powerful because I remember having to aim it very directly at the 6412.

Call and try to get them to agree to swap it out for a silver one, or if that won't work then take it back to your local Comcast office and play dumb and tell them it's broken and you need a new remote.
post #195 of 1929 Old 09-17-2005, 11:22 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My opinion is that even the silver remote is not so good. I used it for a while, it is not intuitive. Better to get a Harmony, which ever model you choose, it will be a much better layout. If you think you will be good at detailed programming, (I learned on the fly), then I recommend a Home Theater Master.
post #196 of 1929 Old 09-17-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

My opinion is that even the silver remote is not so good. I used it for a while, it is not intuitive. Better to get a Harmony, which ever model you choose, it will be a much better layout. If you think you will be good at detailed programming, (I learned on the fly), then I recommend a Home Theater Master.

I actually use the MX-500, but there's no way I'll be able to program a key on that one unless I have a remote that sends out the correct signal. I could then use learn to program a key on the MX-500. I'll ask my local cable provide to see if they can supply the newer remote.
post #197 of 1929 Old 09-17-2005, 04:33 PM

A quick question. Could somebody with the silver Motorola remote post it's product number? I need to know what to ask my cable company for. Thanks!
post #198 of 1929 Old 09-17-2005, 06:00 PM
km

There were some earlier posts discussing PIP, hoping to get different program streams out of different output ports. We know the 6412 by design puts out the same stream on every port.

However, what about the more standard question about whether the 6412 Phase 3 can compose a single output from two streams with one "pip'd" in a corner of the other. I believe the MS Ultimate TV competitor to Tivo did this. I also believe its been established that the Phase 2 didn't have the necessary hardware support.

Does the Phase 3 have the necessary hardware, and does the IGuide that runs on it support this?
post #199 of 1929 Old 09-17-2005, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can't believe they didn't put a bigger hard drive in this unit. 15 hours for HD is nothing. With the size of hard drives today they could have easily put a in a bigger HD. What were they thinking?

Does cable use MPEG2 or MPEG4 to deliver its HD content? If its MPEG2 and they switch to MPEG4, could they get more content on the hard drive?
post #200 of 1929 Old 09-18-2005, 04:00 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol View Post

I can't believe they didn't put a bigger hard drive in this unit. 15 hours for HD is nothing. With the size of hard drives today they could have easily put a in a bigger HD. What were they thinking?

Does cable use MPEG2 or MPEG4 to deliver its HD content? If its MPEG2 and they switch to MPEG4, could they get more content on the hard drive?

It is actually claimed to be 12-20 hours, apparently depending on the birate. Once, someone was actually able to get 23 hours of HD on it.
post #201 of 1929 Old 09-19-2005, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km View Post

Does anyone actually know what Comcast's plan is for increasing DVR disk storage?

They conceivably could do it with usb or firewire drives on any phase of 6412, or require a phase 3 and do SATA, or just provide units with larger internal drives. They could allow user supplied external drives, or force you to rent one from them.

Have they ever said which of these options they are going to actually do?

I just got a second DVR (a Phase III) and the manual that came with it was for a DCT6412 and a DCT6416, a 160 Gb version.

-b
post #202 of 1929 Old 09-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
My older 6412 was killing all my recordings in the middle (very annoying), so I got it replaced yesterday with one of the phase 3 boxes.

I have noticed two improvements.

1. Analog channels look better. This box is hooked up to a 27" analog CRT, but it didn't seem as sharp as it is does now (connected via S-video).

2. The fast foward function is much faster than before. Even at FF4, the old 6412 seemed to take forever to get through a 30-minute program. This new one got through 30-minutes in about 2 minutes.

I have another older 6412 hooked up to my HDTV, but I don't want to replace it yet since I only have a DVI-HDMI cable.
post #203 of 1929 Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 AM

Just got my 6412 phase III today from RCN here outside Boston. It has firmware 12.13.

Any thoughts on how to enable 30-second fast forward with this remote? It's different than any of the Comcast remotes described here. They gave me a Contec Synergy V universal remote. Model RC-U62CDR. (Picture attached)

Also, anyone know how to tell if SATA is enabled on RCN's system without buying an external HD and trying it?
LL
post #204 of 1929 Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadst View Post

Any thoughts on how to enable 30-second fast forward with this remote? It's different than any of the Comcast remotes described here. They gave me a Contec Synergy V universal remote. Model RC-U62CDR. (Picture attached)

Looks an awful lot like an OFA/UEI remote. Try following the same procedure as described in this thread.

Andy

Not a single Monsterously over hyped cable to be found in my system.
post #205 of 1929 Old 09-20-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post

Looks an awful lot like an OFA/UEI remote. Try following the same procedure as described in this thread.

Except there's no "Setup" button.

D'oh!
post #206 of 1929 Old 09-20-2005, 01:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadst View Post

Except there's no "Setup" button.

D'oh!

What does the mode button do?

It does look a lot like the Comcast remote..
post #207 of 1929 Old 09-20-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phsteele
This may be a stupid question, but the remote that came with my 6412 doesn't have a setup button. I don't see a model number on the remote but it is a Motorola product. Along the top are four device buttons (audio, DVD, TV, and Cable). Where should the Setup button be located?

If your's is dark charcoal it's most likely a DRC 800 and not programmable like mine

Check the manual attached:

DRC800_User_Guide.pdf 193.958984375k . file
post #208 of 1929 Old 09-20-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

What does the mode button do?

On the RCN-provided remote you press the mode button and then one of the "one-touch power" buttons, like "DVD" for example. This switches the meaning of the play button, for example, to mean "play the DVD" as opposed to "play the DVR recording." There are several other buttons, like the volume that might have an ambiguous meaning without knowing which mode you're in. Like should the TV volume go up, or the cable box volume, or the "Audio" device, a.k.a. the receiver. Mode disambiguates. Without pressing "Mode" first the buttons labeled "DVD," "Audio," et cetera act as power buttons.

The remote is programmable, and I have a manual, but I can't figure out how to set up a macro.
post #209 of 1929 Old 09-21-2005, 04:44 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phsteele View Post

I actually use the MX-500, but there's no way I'll be able to program a key on that one unless I have a remote that sends out the correct signal. I could then use learn to program a key on the MX-500. I'll ask my local cable provide to see if they can supply the newer remote.

You are correct, but, if need be, you can buy a very inexpensive ($15 ?) OFA remote at Radio Shack or elsewhere, and program the Motorola STB code into it, and bingo you have the 30 Sec. Skip that can be learned into the HTM MX-500 or other model. BTW, the silver remote is a OFA produced for Comcast. Of course, Harmony has the Skip in a number of it's 6412 profiles, for those that have one of their remotes.
post #210 of 1929 Old 09-21-2005, 09:25 PM

Even with it turned off the fan wont stop running. HELP!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page