Help! HDMI failure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2005, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my HR10-250 and Pioneer PDP-4351HD in February. Everything's been perfect until yesterday. All of a sudden, splotchy discoloration on all channels and with recorded material. DVD via component is OK as is the HR10-250 on component. So it's pretty clearly HDMI. D* support had me disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable and much to my surprise, it worked - until about 30 minutes later. It was late, so I decided to come at it again the next day with a new HDMI cable. That worked for about 3 hours then the phenom was back worse as ever. Have it back on component now.

My dilema is whether or not it's the HDMI in the TiVo or the HDMI in the Pioneer media box. I don't have another HDMI source. The TiVo is still under warranty (haven't checked the PDP yet). Anyway, have extended service plans on both.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005, 03:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
This is a reported problem caused by the HR10-250 and its HDMI. Also shows up with other sets, such as the Sharp Aquos 45". The problem is with the HDMI functionality in the HD-Tivo box, not the HDMI cable or the sets.

It's been discussed in various threads, as "purple" or "pink" discoloration.

As D* instructed, it can be overcome by disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable, which causes the HD-Tivo and HDTV to re-handshake and establish sync. I believe you can also trigger the same re-handshake without disconnecting the cable, simply by changing the channel to one with another resolution... e.g. going from a 1080i channel to a 720p channel or vice-versa.

My nephew has gotten around the problem entirely by changing the connection method from his HD-Tivo to his Sharp Aquos (actually to its media box) from HDMI-to-HDMI to HDMI-to-DVI while running a separate L/R audio cable for the audio portion (assuming you need to use the TV's speakers at all). The discoloration problem disappears when connecting using HDMI-to-DVI on the TV. It's only present when connecting to HDMI-to-HDMI.

But the problem is in the HD-Tivo, and you are not alone.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DirecTV will exchange HR10-250's with defective HDMI outputs. Supposedly units built after November 2004 no longer have the problematic hardware.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. Changing channels/resolutions isn't consistently effective. The annoyance factor is completely unacceptable. I can however live with the component quality.

I've read that new D* PVRs using MPEG 4 are coming soon. Do you guys think it's worth the hassle of replacing the unit considering it's nearly obsolete and there's a chance D* may upgrade everyone for free or a discounted price?