post #481 of 959 Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamemaster
The $299 DIRECTV HD-DVR offer is not a valid offer. It is used in exteme cases only. When you call to order the HD-DVR prepare to pay $649 and get the $100 mail-in-rebate, maybe if your lucky you'll get it for $299, but don't count on it.
strange, I called in just this morning and asked for the offer and got it with no problems. $299, $100 mail in rebate and various programming credits. I wasn't able to get the instant credits others got, but got about the equivalent to the price of the tivo and should get a wider multiswitch (I have a self installed 5x8 switch, which I've outgrown)

custom printed apparel http://www.inktastic.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 959 Old 08-24-2005, 09:53 PM

I hope those who read this forum will assist me by answering these questions.

1. I have an old style monitor which receives HD signals only through a VGA input. The HR10-250 does not have a VGA output. Therefore, if I purchase this unit, it will be to use as a standard definition DVR until I am upgraded to the MPEG 4 equivalent. Has anyone seen the specs for the DirecTV MPEG 4 DVR? Specifically, will it have a VGA output? If not, being forced to invest in a component to VGA transcoder, will reduce the price benefit of this deal.

2. I see the HR10-250 described as a dual tuner DVR. I have two monitors in close proximity to each other. Could I feed separate signals to each monitor from the HR10-250 so that I could watch different programs at the same time, both fed from the HR10-250? If so, I could utilize one receiver instead of two, saving the $5 mirroring fee, so that the $6 DVR fee would be only a one dollar monthly increase over my current payment. Will this be possible?

Thank you.
post #483 of 959 Old 08-24-2005, 10:25 PM

I called both Dish Networks and DirecTV. Dish is being very aggressive and gave me an outstanding deal. Called up DirecTV and asked to speak with the retention department. Explained that I was new to HD TV and was pricing shopping to upgrade my equipment.

Subscriber: 3 years
Package: Total Choice plus w/ HBO
Area: Los Angeles

Hardware Deal
$349.00 HD DVR receiver, Multi-Satellite Dish & Off-Air Antenna
$99.00 DVR SD receiver
$14.95 s/h
$28.79 tax
$392.74
- $250.00 Instant Credit
- $100.00 MIR
Total: $141.00 (After MIR)

Programming Package deal

Total Choice Premier (with free Tivo Programming) $20.00 discount for 6 months
HD Package $5.00 discount for 6 months.

Two year contract…

Also – I expressed concerns about purchasing new equipment with Mpeg4 coming out relatively soon. The CS rep assured me the DirecTV is going to upgrade all current users to the new receivers at their cost. He did confirm the new Mpeg4 HD DVR will be using their own software – not Tivo…
post #484 of 959 Old 08-24-2005, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lman12
I would like to take advantage of the $299 special. I already have a 5 X 8 multi-switch, Phase III dish and the lines run. All I need is the HD Tivo. Does anybody know if Directv will ship the HD Tivo to me for a self-install?
I myself have the same issue. I do my own work and would rather not have an installer sent. I spoke with a rep who said those needing an installer were going through D*, while those doing their own setup could go through 3rd party. I just ordered from VE for $599, the rep noted on my account to give me $250 credit when I hook it up in addition to the MIR. She also offered $5 off HD for 6 months, as well as some other sweeteners. With no shipping/tax on the VE offer, it comes to about the same price as the people ordering from D*.
post #485 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 09:02 AM

For those with the HR10-250, I was told by the D* rep that while the receiver has a built in OTA tuner, you can not record OTA in HD. You can only record D* feeds in HD. Example: You can record Discovery in HD but not CBS. (Assuming you are not in NY or LA where local HD is over the D* feed)

Can someone confirm this?

TIA,
Matt
post #486 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 09:03 AM

Well, we didn't get the best deal under the sun, but I wanted to share because we hate negociating and still did much better than $550, so I hope no one settles for that.

We've had Total Choice Plus, NFL and NHL packages for 3 years. (well, can't really say we had NHL for 3 years, can I?)

My husband called Customer Retention directly.

$299 for dish, HD DVR (already have an antenna)
-$100 rebate
+14.95 s/h
$49 Superfan

HD programing free for 3 months

Then he asked about an SD DVR for upstairs. They told him it would be $99 because they couldn't give another rebate/discount for a second DVR. He put them on hold and asked me what I thought. I said I know people have gotten a deal, the rep checked with his supervisor and we ended up with a $100 rebate on a $99 DVR! Funny.

So the total ended up being $233 after the rebates for Superfan, dish, HD DVR, SD DVR. Oh, and the free HD programing for 3 months. Like I said, not the best deal, but much better than we would have had without this site. Thanks everybody!
post #487 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
For those with the HR10-250, I was told by the D* rep that while the receiver has a built in OTA tuner, you can not record OTA in HD. You can only record D* feeds in HD. Example: You can record Discovery in HD but not CBS. (Assuming you are not in NY or LA where local HD is over the D* feed)

TIA,
Matt
I don't believe this is correct. As long as the receiver has mapped the OTA channels you receive into the program guide, you should be able to record those channels.
post #488 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

a related question - where does D* get the OTA guide info? my local ota guide never has any info

eddieras
post #489 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TIA,
Matt
The rep is wrong - if you can get your local HD channels OTA, you can record them - I do this all the time.

custom printed apparel http://www.inktastic.com
post #490 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

TIA,
Matt
That is not correct, you can record with full functionality (use Season Passes, etc.) your OTA HD channels.
post #491 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieras
a related question - where does D* get the OTA guide info? my local ota guide never has any info
i am thinking the same thing. i got my antenna set up last night and the only this it says on the HD locals is "Regular Schedule".
post #492 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuSuss
I hope those who read this forum will assist me by answering these questions.

1. I have an old style monitor which receives HD signals only through a VGA input. The HR10-250 does not have a VGA output. Therefore, if I purchase this unit, it will be to use as a standard definition DVR until I am upgraded to the MPEG 4 equivalent. Has anyone seen the specs for the DirecTV MPEG 4 DVR? Specifically, will it have a VGA output? If not, being forced to invest in a component to VGA transcoder, will reduce the price benefit of this deal.

2. I see the HR10-250 described as a dual tuner DVR. I have two monitors in close proximity to each other. Could I feed separate signals to each monitor from the HR10-250 so that I could watch different programs at the same time, both fed from the HR10-250? If so, I could utilize one receiver instead of two, saving the $5 mirroring fee, so that the $6 DVR fee would be only a one dollar monthly increase over my current payment. Will this be possible?

Thank you.
1. You can use a VGA to component breakout cable to hook up the DVR to your TV. This should give you an HD feed, although there may be some idiosyncrasy about your TV that prevents it from working. (Can't imagine what this might be if your VGA input accepts video and not just computer signals, but sometimes equipment just doesn't work well together.) Worth a try anyway, as the cables can be purchased on the internet for about $10.

Details on the new box are a pretty well guarded secret (if they have even been finalized yet), but it's a pretty safe guess that the new DVR will not have a VGA out either.

2. The HR10-250 uses two tuners to record two programs at once, but it does not permit two different output signals. Only one HD output (component or HDMI) is active at one time. If you hook up the HDMI, the component output is disabled. Although it can provide multiple SD feeds, they will all be the same.

It actually have four tuners, two for satellite, two for OTA. From a user standpoint they integrate seamlessly. You can record any two sources (D* and/or OTA) at one time, but you may only view one.
post #493 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin75
i am thinking the same thing. i got my antenna set up last night and the only this it says on the HD locals is "Regular Schedule".
My question is if the scenario you presented above occurs, how does one setup season passes to record by the name of the program. I would imagine you could not do it and therefore, you would have to record by time and channel. If the local station isn't sending out PSIP data then the name of the program will not show up. I think.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #494 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

We had the same problem here in Jax a while ago, the information that D* uses actually doesn't come from PSIP, but from a service (can't remember the name but I'll look)

What is happening is the station that you are getting "regular schedule" is not sending the proper information to the service provider. I remember this because we had to inform each station that had this problem and after it got to the right person (who that was, again I can't remember - it was a few years ago) the problem was solved.

I'll do some digging but I will be away from my PC for a few days, so if you search on my username you might find it in the Jax local thread.

Good luck

Jeff
post #495 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Well on my third call, I got even a worse offer.

$299, MIR, no other credits. In addition, I would have to subscribe to the HD Pack at the full $11 a month.

On my second call, they didn't say anything about the HD Pack.

I pointed out that I was subscribing to cable because they offer more HD channels.

She said I could pay retail for the HD Tivo then.

No I wasn't rude to her.

I will see how the MPEG4 thing plays out. I may go with cable's DVR and just drop D* altogether. I was happy with the service for the most part but for them to offer deals to others who've had the service less (I've been with them over 5 years) is intolerable.
post #496 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Im not sure where the receiver gets the guide data from the OTA stuff, but I dont currently have my OTA antenna hooked up, and all the local info is still there, even for channels that are too far away for me to recieve. I believe when you do the guided setup, the receiver uses your zip code or something to determine which locals are near you and downloads the guide info from the satellite. For example, it knew our local NBC affiliate has 2 digital channels before I hooked the antenna up, one for HD and one that shows weather all the time. It also shows all 9 NC-ETV digital stations even though they are like 100 miles away.
post #497 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

wco81,

you must have spoken with a young woman named "Kelly." She's very contemptuous of people like us who are merely trying to get a good deal on a competitive service.
post #498 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What would happen if I deactivated all my packages and receivers?

Could I just reactivate them later on the web site and then look for free upgrades to MPEG4?

Say I get a cable deal for a few months, see how this Spaceway thing shakes out.
post #499 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Local DTV stations provide program guide data to folks at Zap2It.com (I don't know the method they use).

Zap2It furnishes the data to DirecTV.

DirecTV includes local channel guide data with their Advanced Program Guide (APG) data which is transmitted via satellite to all DirecTV receivers.

The OTA HD local channels that appear in your guide data are based on what Zip Code you entered during setup.

There is NO dependency on PSIP data when using any DirecTV HD satellite/OTA receiver/STB, although some (not all) will revert to PSIP if their is no guide data available from APG. I don't know if the HD TiVo is capable of using PSIP data in the absence of APG data--I doubt it.

A couple of years ago I exchanged emails with the folks at Zap2It.com to get them to correct some channel mapping and guide data errors particular to the Seattle area. They responded quickly and corrected things at their end, but it took a fair amount of time (weeks) to get DirecTV to update their side accordingly.

Dave
post #500 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think D* gets guide info for local stations from www.zap2it.com. You may need to go into setup and "tell" your receiver what zip code you are using.
Edit: I see someone beat me by a few seconds! :)
post #501 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think I got one of the older units, my unit via HDMI does the pink screen at least 50-60 percent of the time I turn on the tv :(
post #502 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
I just had mine installed today. Holy Jerusalem. Where do they get these installers? What a flippin' nightmare. I had to eventually rewire the whole setup. He couldn't even figure out how to get my OTA channels off the antenna, had the tv set to 4:3 aspect, and the audio was not set to DD.

Pretty impressed so far, but I do find two things odd about this unit. One is that if you have a dvd recorder hooked up to this thing, you have to change to setting to 480i for the dvd recorder to receive a signal. My Samsung 160 would output DVI and S/composite at the same time. Second oddity is that on the off the air antenna, I cannot get the analog local channels. I will get the Directv local channels, and the -1 or -2 local off the air channels, but not the off the air channel itself (ex: I can get channel 9 from Directv, then 9-1 and 9-2 OTA, but no 9 OTA). The Samsung would pick up all local OTA and the Directv locals. Anyone know if this is possible with this unit?

For what it's worth, I got the $100 MIR, $100 instant credit, free HD package for 6 months, and $5 off total choice for 6 months. Not the best, but not the worst I've seen. I've been a customer for 7 years with direct payment from my credit card (if that makes a difference).
post #503 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 03:09 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

I have a pet peeve and this doesn't apply to everyone so do with it what you will. I keep seeing where people refer to the deal they got on the HD Tivo and they say something to the effect of "This isn't the best deal, but.........." or you call back 80 times to see if you can get it for cheaper b/c, "Well gosh darnit, that $150.00 total price is not enough, I've been with DTV for 50 years and I want more". C'mon! Give me a break. You just got a piece of equipment that last year was $1,000 and now you're essentially getting it for $199.00. We're talking about a 80% drop in the price. 80 freakin' percent.

What do you want, DTV to give it to you for free as well as a check for 200 dollars and a year worth of free programming? Well, I know some of you do! :rolleyes:

[Rant off]/

post #504 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH
I have a pet peeve and this doesn't apply to everyone so do with it what you will. I keep seeing where people refer to the deal they got on the HD Tivo and they say something to the effect of "This isn't the best deal, but.........." or you call back 80 times to see if you can get it for cheaper b/c, "Well gosh darnit, that $150.00 total price is not enough, I've been with DTV for 50 years and I want more". C'mon! Give me a break. You just got a piece of equipment that last year was $1,000 and now you're essentially getting it for $199.00. We're talking about a 80% drop in the price. 80 freakin' percent.

What do you want, DTV to give it to you for free as well as a check for 200 dollars and a year worth of free programming? Well, I know some of you do! :rolleyes:

[Rant off]/
Let you in on a little secret from my mail order retail days, peple will spend HOURS on the phone or searching the web playing one vendor against another to save $5. I'm not exaggerating. Never mind the value of their time or the lost opportunity cost. It's about walking away feeling like you got a good deal.

That being said, I still think you should put your flak jacket on :D
post #505 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH
I

[Rant off]/
Well, yeah. That would be loverly. :p

I'll put it this way, if they are willing to give me a discount or a credit for being a loyal customer, then I'll take it. Besides, it's not like they are going to lose any money on the deal. My monthly bill averages $145 per month.
post #506 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 03:38 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi
Well, yeah. That would be loverly. :p

I'll put it this way, if they are willing to give me a discount or a credit for being a loyal customer, then I'll take it. Besides, it's not like they are going to lose any money on the deal. My monthly bill averages $145 per month.
DTV has their standard programming credits that they're giving to people with this deal. My point is that the credits, rebates and extremely, deeply discounted machine aren't enough for some. You can't get blood from a turnip! What's the point of haggling with 8 different CSRs? Well Bobm answered that part of the question for me in his last post.

post #507 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I guess some people are looking to make their money go further today than they were. I don't blame them, and I certainly don't think they are taking advantage of anyone. I didn't haggle or call 8 or 9 different CSRs to get what I got. I asked the first one to answer what was the best they could do, and what they offered was what I took. I supposed if I wanted to do better I probably could have, but frankly I couldn't be arsed with playing CSR rouelette. I knew what I wanted and knew within reason what I was willing to pay for it. It just so happened that the deal offered was good enough for me. If someone else gets a better deal, that's great. It's all good.
post #508 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 04:05 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi
I knew what I wanted and knew within reason what I was willing to pay for it. It just so happened that the deal offered was good enough for me. If someone else gets a better deal, that's great. It's all good.

That's how it was with me when I ordered mine. I don't have a problem with people getting the best deal they can. It's all good to me. It's just when people make it seem as though they don't like the deal they got, which bothers me.

post #509 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

In on the same deal. Spoke with Thad who gave me no problems on the first call:
HD-Tivo $299
-$100 rebate
-2 for 2 HBO and Showtime for 6 months
- half off HD pack for 6 months
-$49 superfan package
also bought the OTA antenna (wouldn't give it for free). Said upgrade to mpeg4 HD-Tivo in 2006 should be free. Hadn't heard of any new HD channels coming out. Two year commitment. A hot deal, for me about $35 to upgrade to HD-Tivo...can't beat that and no need to try and haggle for anything better.
post #510 of 959 Old 08-25-2005, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Well there's no pleasing some folk I guess. I'm well chuffed with the price I was offered.

Now, how about the weird channel problem I have? Know anything about it?
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page