Scientific Atlanta HD PVR's / HD STB MASTER THREAD: General Posts/Links Here Only ! - Page 10 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > Scientific Atlanta HD PVR's / HD STB MASTER THREAD: General Posts/Links Here Only !

HDTV Recorders

pepar's Avatar pepar
04:02 PM Liked: 164
post #271 of 441
06-13-2007 | Posts: 25,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khurram View Post

just got a samsung 5054 and love it!
but i'm running video from the box to the tv via hdmi and optical out for sound from the box to the reciever.
What do I set my sa8300hddvr on in the sound settings?
Digital out?
or HDMI?

You said it yourself: optical out for sound. (Hint: optical is digital.)
Khurram's Avatar Khurram
04:20 PM Liked: 10
post #272 of 441
06-13-2007 | Posts: 175
that's what I was thinking
Thanks
Khurram's Avatar Khurram
05:36 PM Liked: 10
post #273 of 441
06-16-2007 | Posts: 175
So one issue that is bothering me and i'm hoping it's a simple fix is..
when I change channels from an sd channel to an hd channel I get the snow screen for like 2 seconds before it dislplays the hd channel.

I have the sa8300hddvr and samsung 5054. Running video thru hdmi.
This did not use to happen when I used it with components but only happens now that i'm using hdmi.
It's getting a bit annoying although it is only 2 seconds of snow.
Any fixes?
DoubleDAZ's Avatar DoubleDAZ
06:41 PM Liked: 60
post #274 of 441
06-16-2007 | Posts: 9,878
Did you perhaps change settings from only outputting 1080i (or 720p) with Component to now enabling more formats (480i, 720p, 1080i)? Or were you perhaps using the Fixed setting and connecting the HDMI now changed it to Auto-HDMI?
boat monkee's Avatar boat monkee
08:58 PM Liked: 10
post #275 of 441
06-29-2007 | Posts: 2
Hope I'm posting this in the right place...

Several months ago, I successfully added an external e-sata hdd to my Scientific Atlanta 8300 (the 500gb Apricorn DVR Xpander). Due to lots of helpful posts in here, I was able to set it up pretty easily. I am in NYC using Time Warner.

A few days ago, my HD Plasma TV crapped out (I am pretty sure it's unrelated to my problem), so today I hooked up my old TV to watch some of the shows that got recorded in the meantime.

The DVR now claims it doesn't see my hard drive, however I see it in the "DIAG" screen. I have tried the following troubleshooting steps, none of which worked, so I'd appreciate some other suggestions.
- rebooted the cable box three times
- disconnected and reconnected the external drive
- disconnected external drive, rebooted cable box, reconnected drive
- unplugged the HDMI connector (not currently in use)

About my TV -- when I explained the problem (and steps I'd taken to troubleshoot it), pioneer said that the problem I'd experienced is not uncommon -- sometimes parts get shaken during shipping but it takes a few months for the problem to become evident. This is why I think the DVR problem is unrelated to the TV problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
09:57 PM Liked: 60
post #276 of 441
06-29-2007 | Posts: 9,878
boat monkey,

There is an entire thread devoted to SATA expansion and although someone might see your post here, you would be much better off posting it there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=516559
Khurram's Avatar Khurram
06:59 PM Liked: 10
post #277 of 441
07-02-2007 | Posts: 175
So I've started getting this message sometimes when I turn my cable box on.
It says your system does not support hdcp and that I need to switch to component.
I have the sa8300hddvr hooked up via hdmi to my samsung 5054 tv.
It never showed that message before for the first two weeks of using it with this tv but now everyone once in a while it comes up on the screen and I have to reset the cable box for it to go away.
I know the 8300 has always been shoddy with hdmi, but any idea why this is happening and better yet any fixes?
Thanks
jfairNYC's Avatar jfairNYC
11:04 PM Liked: 10
post #278 of 441
07-03-2007 | Posts: 2
Does anyone else have the 8300HDC dvr? I just moved and they replaced my old box with it. It just keeps rebooting. I assume it has something to do with the CableCard communication.
opie168's Avatar opie168
09:38 AM Liked: 10
post #279 of 441
07-04-2007 | Posts: 59
I have it here in Raleigh, NC and it deff. took a few hours for me to get all my channels. It has to go through the steps with getting an IP from TWC and all this. I had the installer go through the set up menu's when he was programing it and explain it all to me. He said some of the boxes with the new software take anywhere from 30min to 24-48hrs to completely get sync'd with twc depending on the traffic that day. He said it does take a lot longer to boot up and to make sure that you dont try to turn it on before it reads the time on the display because then you will just start over. It takes longer to boot up than the old box because it downloads everything to the box at once unlike the old one.
If yours is just rebooting on its own then I'd call them about that, I had to reboot mine a few times and wait b/c I hadn't gotten a full IP addy yet and it would freeze on some of the channels. Now it works like a charm though. It deff. takes some time to get used to as the navigation is a little different and the recording of programs is too.

I did notice that if you set it to record new episodes only it wont pick up all of them for certain shows. like some of the channels or shows that are in fact new do not say that in the description so it dosen't set to record it on its own. Dunno why this is happening as it never was the case with my old 8300HD.

I will say the picture does look a little clearer/sharper on the tv though with this new box.
jfairNYC's Avatar jfairNYC
09:57 AM Liked: 10
post #280 of 441
07-04-2007 | Posts: 2
"*BootStrapper unable to get network info"

That's the error message I get before it reboots. I figured out that when the blue splash screen stating "mystro" appears, you can press Select on the box and get more detailed information than the standard, "Initializing, please wait..."
opie168's Avatar opie168
09:06 AM Liked: 10
post #281 of 441
07-05-2007 | Posts: 59
All in all its either a problem with the box or something simple as your cable provider not having your box on their system for your cable line and therfore they are not trying to ping your box and give it an IP to establish communication. Can't hurt to call tech support for twc if thats what you have and tell them, they will more than likely check to see that your port is open and all on their system and if thats working properly then its something with ur box and will require a replacement or a onsite tech.
DVDO+WESTY=1080p's Avatar DVDO+WESTY=1080p
02:53 PM Liked: 10
post #282 of 441
07-05-2007 | Posts: 451
ok, I tried a recording to DVHS JVC HMDH5U from SCi ATL 8300HD thru firewire, SD channels live works fine, analog channels do not and HD live does not work at all

I tried DVR recordings HD and Regular and they work decent, the only thing is that they hiccup audio and video quite a bit, any comments? Is this comcast or is this the HMDH5U messing up the signal?
Comcast in Northern VA
11:36 PM Liked: 10
post #283 of 441
07-05-2007 | Posts: 451
new update, I get occasional audio dropouts, audio sync issues and some pixelization. Also I have seen the 5U just shut down and give error messages stating that I can't record from source use set top box. And I have seen the 5U turn off and power back up in the middle of the recording and keep going. Are these copy protection things? Is using HDMI out to the TV causing this? Should I be using component video instead?
pepar's Avatar pepar
08:21 AM Liked: 164
post #284 of 441
07-06-2007 | Posts: 25,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDO+WESTY=1080p View Post

new update, I get occasional audio dropouts, audio sync issues and some pixelization. Also I have seen the 5U just shut down and give error messages stating that I can't record from source use set top box. And I have seen the 5U turn off and power back up in the middle of the recording and keep going. Are these copy protection things? Is using HDMI out to the TV causing this? Should I be using component video instead?

Occasional hiccuping seems to be "state of the art" with DVRs with usually a wee bit more occurring on material played from our external drives. None of the forty-five or so hi-def movies I have recorded are completely hiccup-free, but then I see hiccups - though much less frequently - on live hi-def TV. Interestingly, I recently recorded the same movie two times over a two day period. One of the recordings had significantly more hiccups than the other. Obviously, I kept the better "copy." I always watch what I've recorded while the movie is still airing so that I can grab another copy if there's too many hiccups. I've always been able to get the dropouts down to a minimum and to the point where the improvement in picture quality outweighs the annoyance of the hiccups.

YMMV.
jgayman's Avatar jgayman
10:40 AM Liked: 10
post #285 of 441
07-06-2007 | Posts: 29
Can no longer get into HD Setup Wizard on SA8300HD

Quick background - I've had the SA8300HD since Dec. When the cable Co. first installed it they could not get the HDMI to work and blamed my TV. After they left I downloaded the manual and was able to get into the setup wizard and turn on the HDMI for audio and video. Happy camper.

Now... I've purchased a Blu-Ray player and need to use the HDMI for that (TV only has one HDMI). So I want to switch the SA8300HD back to use the component connection. I have it working but I can no longer get into the setup wizard to enable bypass mode, etc. I hold in the Info/Guide buttons and then turn the unit on as per the manual but this no longer works. It just turns the unit on and settings gives me the standard selections. Any ideas what may have changed?
genes's Avatar genes
10:45 AM Liked: 10
post #286 of 441
07-06-2007 | Posts: 61
Try turning the 8300 on first, then hit both info and guide. Setup menu should come up, it might be all magenta (its not your TV). Hit B even if it does not appear, to get into the HD menu.
jgayman's Avatar jgayman
11:00 AM Liked: 10
post #287 of 441
With the 8300 on, pressing the two buttons just brings up the TV Guide. With the 8300 off, pressing them displays "Press 'CBL' to power on your cable box". But when I press CBL on the remote it just turns on with the Info banner for the show on the bottom of the screen.
pepar's Avatar pepar
11:19 AM Liked: 164
post #288 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

Can no longer get into HD Setup Wizard on SA8300HD

Quick background - I've had the SA8300HD since Dec. When the cable Co. first installed it they could not get the HDMI to work and blamed my TV. After they left I downloaded the manual and was able to get into the setup wizard and turn on the HDMI for audio and video. Happy camper.

Now... I've purchased a Blu-Ray player and need to use the HDMI for that (TV only has one HDMI). So I want to switch the SA8300HD back to use the component connection. I have it working but I can no longer get into the setup wizard to enable bypass mode, etc. I hold in the Info/Guide buttons and then turn the unit on as per the manual but this no longer works. It just turns the unit on and settings gives me the standard selections. Any ideas what may have changed?

With no HDMI handshake, which there would not be without the display attached to the 8300HD, the component video should work. I take it that it does not?
jgayman's Avatar jgayman
11:26 AM Liked: 10
post #289 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

With no HDMI handshake, which there would not be without the display attached to the 8300HD, the component video should work. I take it that it does not?

Component is working. I was just wanting to check all the settings and see if there was a bypass mode. HDMI did not work initially even though the cable was plugged in. I had to go into the advanced setup and enable HDMI and tell it to send the audio over HDMI. The cable guy kept trying to tell me that all the outputs were enabled by default which I quickly proved was false.

I might want to go back to HDMI at some point. Right now if I plug the HDMI back in it does not work.

The setup wizard was such a no-brainer when I first got the unit, I'm just puzzled why I can no longer get into it.
pepar's Avatar pepar
11:54 AM Liked: 164
post #290 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

I might want to go back to HDMI at some point. Right now if I plug the HDMI back in it does not work.

The setup wizard was such a no-brainer when I first got the unit, I'm just puzzled why I can no longer get into it.

With both your display and the 8300HD turned off, disconnect the component cables and connect the HDMI cable between the two devices. Turn on the display and then turn on the 8300HD. That should re-initiate the handshake and activate the HDMI connection.
11:19 AM Liked: 10
post #291 of 441
07-07-2007 | Posts: 451
thanks for the info
aorta8403's Avatar aorta8403
09:50 PM Liked: 10
post #292 of 441
07-08-2007 | Posts: 2
I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD Digital Cable Box/DVR. I'm wanting to transfer my shows onto my macbook or my PC. Does anyone know how to do this? I've opened the cable box and taken the hard drive out and put it into an enclosure kit and the mac and the pc detected it but the mac said it couldnt read it and my pc only said that it detected but never appeared in my computer. If anyone knows how to do this please help.
pepar's Avatar pepar
07:23 AM Liked: 164
post #293 of 441
07-09-2007 | Posts: 25,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta8403 View Post

I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD Digital Cable Box/DVR. I'm wanting to transfer my shows onto my macbook or my PC. Does anyone know how to do this? I've opened the cable box and taken the hard drive out and put it into an enclosure kit and the mac and the pc detected it but the mac said it couldnt read it and my pc only said that it detected but never appeared in my computer. If anyone knows how to do this please help.

Put the box back together - carefully - so that your cable company doesn't suspect that you've vandalized THEIR property. There is no way to read the drive with anything other than the 8300HD THAT IT CAME FROM.
vyellen's Avatar vyellen
07:58 AM Liked: 10
post #294 of 441
07-09-2007 | Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaxter View Post

The other day I called my cable company (Cox) to order another SA8300HD, for the bedroom. I already have one in the living room. I was told it won't work, that you can only have one per household. Is this true?

I have two and a regular HD box. Just didn't need three. They can reboot them individually on demand.
aorta8403's Avatar aorta8403
10:12 AM Liked: 10
post #295 of 441
07-09-2007 | Posts: 2
Quote:

Put the box back together - carefully - so that your cable company doesn't suspect that you've vandalized THEIR property. There is no way to read the drive with anything other than the 8300HD THAT IT CAME FROM.

Duh! I'm not worried about that but you didnt answer the question. Why wont it read? If I put an external hard to it and took it off and put it to my computer will it detect then?
pepar's Avatar pepar
10:21 AM Liked: 164
post #296 of 441
Quote:

Duh! I'm not worried about that but you didnt answer the question. Why wont it read? If I put an external hard to it and took it off and put it to my computer will it detect then?

Different file system. High individual STB-level encryption. Your computer will detect it - and offer to format it.

I did answer your question; I can't help that you didn't like the answer.

And if you'd have searched even a little, you'd have found the answer many, many times.
davehancock's Avatar davehancock
10:40 AM Liked: 37
post #297 of 441
07-09-2007 | Posts: 5,457
Quote:

Different file system. High individual STB-level encryption. Your computer will detect it - and offer to format it.

I did answer your question; I can't help that you didn't like the answer.

And if you'd have searched even a little, you'd have found the answer many, many times.

It's really amazing how people come in here, not check around, demand an instant answer to their very common question, and complain when they don't get the answer that they wanted.
holl_ands's Avatar holl_ands
11:08 AM Liked: 69
post #298 of 441
07-09-2007 | Posts: 3,757
Quote:

The ONLY way you MIGHT be able to transfer SOME of those shows is to use
the FIREWIRE port (if it is ENABLED and is even populated in your DVR):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695

You MIGHT be able to transfer whatever UNENCRYPTED files are on the DVR,
which are usually LIMITED to the local channels (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, etc.).

Your chances of actually getting this to work are UNKNOWN.....YMMV....
pepar's Avatar pepar
11:17 AM Liked: 164
post #299 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

It's really amazing how people come in here, not check around, demand an instant answer to their very common question, and complain when they don't get the answer that they wanted.

Yes, and I'm amazed that I'm still amazed.
08:45 PM Liked: 60
post #300 of 441
07-09-2007 | Posts: 9,878
Quote:

He did answer the question and the answer is still NO. As others have said though, the 8300 uses a different file system and the files are encrypted with a code that ties the file to that particular unit, not the drive itself. Like someone else mentioned, you might be able to use firewire to a DVHS recorder or your PC, but you will be limited to the unencrypted channels, mostly your locals. And none of that was asked in your original post.

On a personal note, you will get a lot farther here with a little better attitude, like if you didn't understand the answer, simply ask for clarification instead of getting in someone's face as it were.

Oh, and I'm glad you're not worried about messing with rented equipment. I haven't heard of anyone having to pony up the $600 list price for the 8300, but there is always a first time. What cableco do you have again?

pepar/dave,

I'm not amazed. As is pointed out in the first post, this thread is not really for asking questions and even a simple check of some of the pertinent threads would have answered the question. I generally do not respond to posts here except to play traffic cop. I really wish this thread had been closed right after it was created.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread