Scientific Atlanta HD PVR's / HD STB MASTER THREAD: General Posts/Links Here Only ! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 441 Old 12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am setting up a friend's HT and need to know what kind of digital audio out's the SA 8000HD DVR has. And, once digital audio cable is connected to a receiver, do I have to turn ON Digital outs or is it automatic? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 441 Old 12-16-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmen View Post

I am setting up a friend's HT and need to know what kind of digital audio out's the SA 8000HD DVR has. And, once digital audio cable is connected to a receiver, do I have to turn ON Digital outs or is it automatic? Thanks!

Don't know off-hand, but why not check SA's documentation here and ask your friend? Near as I can tell by looking at the pictures though, it only has digital coax out, no optical. Since it uses the same software as the 8300, I assume there is a General Settings/Audio: Digital Out option too. You are sure it's the 8000 and not the 8300? If it's the 8000, does he own it? If not, he might want to consider swapping it for an 8300. Just a thought.

Cheers, Dave
post #363 of 441 Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

Don't know off-hand, but why not check SA's documentation here and ask your friend? Near as I can tell by looking at the pictures though, it only has digital coax out, no optical. Since it uses the same software as the 8300, I assume there is a General Settings/Audio: Digital Out option too. You are sure it's the 8000 and not the 8300? If it's the 8000, does he own it? If not, he might want to consider swapping it for an 8300. Just a thought.

Thanks, I found the manual after posting here. I am sure he is leasing via Charter. Is there a reason he should ask for an 8300? Sorry if this is a dumb ? as I am a DTV customer and have no idea about and cable box hardware.
post #364 of 441 Old 12-17-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmen View Post

Thanks, I found the manual after posting here. I am sure he is leasing via Charter. Is there a reason he should ask for an 8300? Sorry if this is a dumb ? as I am a DTV customer and have no idea about and cable box hardware.

Not dumb at all. The 8300 is a better unit, has more connections (HDMI, Digital Optical), is newer, etc. Way back when, the software was different to, but AFAIK today, they both have the same options, etc. I also seem to remember some problems with output formats, but it's been a long time. If he's happy with the 8000 though, that's fine too.

Cheers, Dave
post #365 of 441 Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 AM

All
Everynight my 8300 hd sara HDD turns on/off, on/off several times during the night. Just the HDD.
Cable company says this is normal.
Any comments?
post #366 of 441 Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfnRestore View Post

All
Everynight my 8300 hd sara HDD turns on/off, on/off several times during the night. Just the HDD.
Cable company says this is normal.
Any comments?

Yes, it's normal.

Dave Hancock
post #367 of 441 Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All

If it's really bothersome, you can try tuning both tuners to a non-buffering channel. However, as you can imagine, that gets to be a hassle rather quickly.

Cheers, Dave
post #368 of 441 Old 12-21-2007, 04:09 AM

Double DAZ
Please explain what you meant by setting to a non buffering channel.
(I am not recording during these times at night when the HDD goes on/off.)

I was under the impression that the HDD was either upgrading SW or defragging or the cable company was looking to see we we all had recorded.

Thanks in advance

Bob
post #369 of 441 Old 12-21-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please explain what you meant by setting to a non buffering channel. (I am not recording during these times at night when the HDD goes on/off.)

No, but the DVR only goes into Standby mode when turned Off, it is never fully Off unless you pull the power plug, and may still be buffering content. You don't mention your location, cableco, or software, so it's difficult to tell.

Also, this thread is for general questions to help us point you to the right thread, those mentioned in the First Post and in my signature.

Quote:

I was under the impression that the HDD was either upgrading SW or defragging or the cable company was looking to see we we all had recorded.

Sometimes it is, especially updating the IPG, and that's why I say "try". But, updating software/IPG happens with or without a DVR, so the HDD is not necessarily being used for that.

There is some info on this in the First Post in the SARA Tips thread (link is in my signature). I suggest you read some of that and, if you have SARA, you can try some of the other tips there.

The reference to non-buffering channels is in the HDD Defrag section. Basically, you find a channel, like a Music channel, that doesn't buffer on your system. This is really just a channel that you can't record or use the FF/REW features. I don't know that we have any such channels here, but then I really haven't checked. I do know I can record the Music and PPV channels here though.

This may put the DVR into defrag mode, but that won't last all night every night and the HDD should stop after awhile. Depending on software, the HDD may spin down when not being used.

BTW, I assume we are talking about a bedroom DVR, though I have never heard mine at night.

Cheers, Dave
post #370 of 441 Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 AM

Hi Guys. I own an 8300HD (lease actually) connected to a Samsung plasma. I recently posted a bug to the yahoo group, that I've been suffering with for a few months. I thought I would share it with you guys for confirmation...

If you have a moment, please try this out on your SA8300HD running SARA.
I am on cablevision/iO on LI in NY if it makes a difference:

Go into the guide, and select THEME on the bottom left. Select a theme
your interested in (I like documentary). Now go from the day you are
on, into the next one .. just by scrolling down (not using the B
button to change days). Here is the problem ... once you get to
Midnight, you can no longer hit the record button on your remote!! If
you do, it will simply take you to that channel, but not bring up the
"record this program" screen.

Weird right?? It is bothering the hell out of me because I use this
method to scroll through and record all the shows I may like. But,
once i get into "tomorrow's" programming, my method doesnt work. I
have to instaed use the B button, and then scroll to where I was.
Interstingly, where I was NEVER matches up (try to find the same
program using both methods)

Also happen to you guys?
post #371 of 441 Old 01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Happy New Year everyone.

I am a current TWC subscriber with Navigator in KC.

I'm currently have the "Audio" setting to HDMI, with the HDMI running from the 8300 to my Pio5070.

I'm adding a receiver this weekend and will continue to leave the 8300 connected to the Pio for video. On the audio side I'm going to connect an optical cable from the 8300 to the Onkyo. For this type of setup do I need to choose "Dolby Digital" or "Other" under the audio settings on the 8300?

Through a search of the thread it seems as if the Dolby Digital is the correct setting. Just looking for some confirmation if possible.

Thank you for your time and help.

Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #372 of 441 Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryaske View Post

Also happen to you guys?

Yeah, it does. I never use it though, so I never ran into the problem. Most of us using the 8300 with SARA have given up on the search. You might want to check out the SARA Tips&Tricks thread though. This thread is not designed for specific questions, just questions on which thread to post in.

Cheers, Dave
post #373 of 441 Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

Happy New Year everyone.

I am a current TWC subscriber with Navigator in KC.

I'm currently have the "Audio" setting to HDMI, with the HDMI running from the 8300 to my Pio5070.

I'm adding a receiver this weekend and will continue to leave the 8300 connected to the Pio for video. On the audio side I'm going to connect an optical cable from the 8300 to the Onkyo. For this type of setup do I need to choose "Dolby Digital" or "Other" under the audio settings on the 8300?

Through a search of the thread it seems as if the Dolby Digital is the correct setting. Just looking for some confirmation if possible.

Thank you for your time and help.

Skid

I suggest you post your question in the Navigator thread (see my signature for link). This thread is mainly to guide folks to the correct threads for their software/hardware.

Cheers, Dave
post #374 of 441 Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesskid1 View Post

hi, i just got the scientic atlanta 8300HDC and there is a constant low buzzing that I can hear if I listen carefully? is this standard or no? it's quite annoying, what should i do =(

My 8300HDC does the same buzzing thing, very annoying and very distinct unless the volume is turned up pretty high. The previous non-HD model did the same thing - surprised haven't been able to find further insight on this particular issue thus far.
post #375 of 441 Old 01-07-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblow View Post

My 8300HDC does the same buzzing thing, very annoying and very distinct unless the volume is turned up pretty high. The previous non-HD model did the same thing - surprised haven't been able to find further insight on this particular issue thus far.

I got a new TV stand recently and also noticed a buzzing. My cause was a bit different, but was simply my external hard drive resonating on the shelf it was on. As the drive of the 8300 is spinning much of the time, it can have a similar impact. I solved my problem by putting the drive on a piece of foam. That might not be the right solution for the 8300, but some beefing up of what the 8300 is sitting on might be in order.

Dave Hancock
post #376 of 441 Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 AM

I believe with the earlier Passport software you could somehow set the retention time for recorded programs, i.e. 1 week, 1 month, until space needed, permanently.

I cannot find any such option with my SA8300 HDC using Mystro. Do I have similar capability and if so where or how.

Thanks,

Dennis
post #377 of 441 Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

You should post this in the Navigator thread, see the link in my signature.

Cheers, Dave
post #378 of 441 Old 01-29-2008, 05:41 PM

This probably has been asked thousands of times but here it goes again. I purchased a SA 8300HD.....used....that was, obviously, used with a Comcast system. Is it possible to set it up for use with my Time Warner service I have here in Raleigh/Durham. It just keeps coimg up with 'Call your cable servce...you've been disconnected". I already have a SA 8300HDC in another room. Thought it would be as simple as to connect in another room ,,,,but nope. Any direction would be greatly appreciated - Jumbo
post #379 of 441 Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboco View Post

This probably has been asked thousands of times but here it goes again. I purchased a SA 8300HD.....used....that was, obviously, used with a Comcast system. Is it possible to set it up for use with my Time Warner service I have here in Raleigh/Durham. It just keeps coimg up with 'Call your cable servce...you've been disconnected". I already have a SA 8300HDC in another room. Thought it would be as simple as to connect in another room ,,,,but nope. Any direction would be greatly appreciated - Jumbo

Yes, it has (been asked thousands of times). The answer is that you likely purchased a STOLEN unit. TW just will not "authorize" it. The mechanism is that the SA8300 has an embedded serial number. When you first plug the unit in, the box looks for authorization, software, etc from the cable head end. The cable company has a database of cable boxes they own, and what services that box is authorized for. It didn't find your box there so you got that message.

Dave Hancock
post #380 of 441 Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All you can do is call the cableco, they have to enter it into their system, though my guess is they won't. In any case, there is nothing you can do without them, so make the call and find out if they will enter it into their system or if you need to try to resell it. Let us know what they tell you (I would say when they stop laughing, but I won't, you may just get lucky).

The problem is that a lot of these are stolen units (as The Other Dave mentioned), but even if you legitimately bought it from someone who bought it new, like someone from Canada or even here in Phoenix before they switched to rentals), another cableco is under no obligation to support it. Sooner or later though, these things will go retail and then they will support them. They already allow the Tivo S3 and Tivo HD, so suspected theft is the only reason I can think of that will keep them from supporting your unit. In fact, if they want to take this far enough, there is probably no reason they can't send the serial number to other cableco's to find out just where it came from.

Cheers, Dave
post #381 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the info Dave. I have called and TW said they only support "their" issued equipment but will open up to all in Feb 17, 2008. Looks like I'll put it up in storage till then.
Thanks again!
Jumbo
post #382 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info Dave. I have called and TW said they only support "their" issued equipment but will open up to all in Feb 17, 2008. Looks like I'll put it up in storage till then.
Thanks again!
Jumbo

Did you mean 2009? That's the OTA analog shutoff.

Cheers, Dave
post #383 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Right....2009.
post #384 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you mean 2009? That's the OTA analog shutoff.

This sounds typical: The CST has no answers for you, but has some vague idea that "something" happens 2/17/2009, so he/she gives you that.

For the record: What happens on 2/17/2009 has nothing to do with cable boxes. The only thing that happens regarding cable on that date, it that they are required to provide connection for analog SD sets for qualified local OTA stations that are shutting off their analog service on that date.

Dave Hancock
post #385 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

For the record: What happens on 2/17/2009 has nothing to do with cable boxes. The only thing that happens regarding cable on that date, it that they are required to provide connection for analog SD sets for qualified local OTA stations that are shutting off their analog service on that date.

Of course, that's true, but it could also be that they are making a corporate decision to support 3rd party units that comply with tru2way at the same time as the analog shutoff. I think many cableco's are trying their best to have tru2way implemented by the analog cutoff date and then fully open their systems to devices sold in retail stores, as well as any other user-owned devices.

Cheers, Dave
post #386 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, that's true, but it could also be that they are making a corporate decision to support 3rd party units that comply with tru2way at the same time as the analog shutoff. I think many cableco's are trying their best to have tru2way implemented by the analog cutoff date and then fully open their systems to devices sold in retail stores, as well as any other user-owned devices.

I doubt it. I know that there is a lot of misunderstanding about several FCC dates & rulings and these things get passed on in the weirdest ways!

BTW: Actually the FCC had stated a goal of cable having "two way consumer owned navigation devices" available by the analog shut off - so maybe.

BTW#2: A SA8300HD purchased off e-bay or something is not a "tru2way" device. So even if 2/17/09 was some magic date when they would "support" "tru2way", that wouldn't include his unit.

Dave Hancock
post #387 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I asked this in another thread, but I'll ask it here as well.

How do you stop the Time Warner SA8300 HDC from auto adjusting the standard definition 4:3 content? My brother has a Pioneer 5080HD and wants to use the TV's stretch modes rather than the cable box's. Unfortunately the cable box seems to be automatically attempting to auto adjust the content to fill the screen, which works sometimes but doesn't others. The stretch modes on the TV look better than the ones on the cable box, so we'd like to only use the TV's and disable the box from doing any video processing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. The 8300HD was pretty good, but the 8300HDC sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #388 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

BTW#2: A SA8300HD purchased off e-bay or something is not a "tru2way" device. So even if 2/17/09 was some magic date when they would "support" "tru2way", that wouldn't include his unit.

I agree and tried to word my whole response to include "any" user-owned hardware, even suspect eBay items, along with the tie-in to the tru2way initiative. I'm just anxious to see if the retail stuff pans out the way I think it will, though it may take a bit.

Cheers, Dave
post #389 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

How do you stop the Time Warner SA8300 HDC from auto adjusting the standard definition 4:3 content? My brother has a Pioneer 5080HD and wants to use the TV's stretch modes rather than the cable box's. Unfortunately the cable box seems to be automatically attempting to auto adjust the content to fill the screen, which works sometimes but doesn't others. The stretch modes on the TV look better than the ones on the cable box, so we'd like to only use the TV's and disable the box from doing any video processing.

I don't know, I'm not flamiliar with Navigator options, but he might check what resolutions he has enabled. Generally, the TV can be set to expand/stretch 480i/p resolutions and leave 720p/1080i unchanged. He should also check to see if there is a Pass-Through or Auto-HDMI (if he's using HDMI) setting to make sure the 8300 passes the signals through untouched.

I don't know which other thread you posted, but there is a Navigator link in my signature.

Cheers, Dave
post #390 of 441 Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I don't know, I'm not flamiliar with Navigator options, but he might check what resolutions he has enabled. Generally, the TV can be set to expand/stretch 480i/p resolutions and leave 720p/1080i unchanged. He should also check to see if there is a Pass-Through or Auto-HDMI (if he's using HDMI) setting to make sure the 8300 passes the signals through untouched.

I don't know which other thread you posted, but there is a Navigator link in my signature.

Thanks for the info. He's using HDMI so when he tries to set what resolutions get passed through he receives a message saying something to the effect of:

Setting is disabled when using HDMI for connectivity.

Weird, eh?

He hates the 8300HDC and I'm now beginning to as well, and I don't even use one.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page