Scientific Atlanta HD PVR's / HD STB MASTER THREAD: General Posts/Links Here Only ! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a consensus as to whether or not to power off the SA8300 HD Explorer? I had DTV satellite service with the HR10-250 box and there was no power button on the unit - it was always on and the hard drive wasn't affected. Can the SA8300 be left on as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sass View Post

Is there a consensus as to whether or not to power off the SA8300 HD Explorer? I had DTV satellite service with the HR10-250 box and there was no power button on the unit - it was always on and the hard drive wasn't affected. Can the SA8300 be left on as well?

I think most users turn them off, which is different from powering down (removing AC). If you're on Passport, you may have a General Setting called Power Manager which allows spinning down the internal drive when not being used.
post #93 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Pepar you are correct, I meant to say "turning the unit". If the HD is not spinning is there any harm in leaving the unit on?
post #94 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sass View Post

Pepar you are correct, I meant to say "turning the unit". If the HD is not spinning is there any harm in leaving the unit on?

Leave it plugged in, but turned off. More heat is generated in the completely on state than in the off, but powered one. Just my $.02.
post #95 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 11:51 AM

I just got my HDTV and connected to the HDTV DVR cable box (Scientific American) via HDMI cable.
2 questions:
-With my old TV (connected with regular cables) the remote worked for everything. With the new set the volume bar shows up on the bottom of the screen but has no effect on the actual volume. The volume has to be controlled with the TV remote. I assume this is due to the HDMI connection because that is the only thing that is different. How can I fix this so that I can adjust the volume using the Cable remote?

-With the old tube TV I plugged the tv into the cable box so that with the cable remote I could turn the TV on and off. The new TV has a three prong plug and the cable box only accepts a 2 prong.
-Can I just use a 3 prong adapter or is it not recommened to plug the TV into the cable box? (Samsung HL-S6187)
Thanks!
post #96 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAudiophobe View Post

I just got my HDTV and connected to the HDTV DVR cable box (Scientific American) via HDMI cable.
2 questions:
-With my old TV (connected with regular cables) the remote worked for everything. With the new set the volume bar shows up on the bottom of the screen but has no effect on the actual volume. The volume has to be controlled with the TV remote. I assume this is due to the HDMI connection because that is the only thing that is different. How can I fix this so that I can adjust the volume using the Cable remote?

Isn't there a setting (in the STB) for variable/fixed output volume. If not, try entering your TV's mfg code into the 8300HD's remote so you can control TV volume.

Quote:
-With the old tube TV I plugged the tv into the cable box so that with the cable remote I could turn the TV on and off. The new TV has a three prong plug and the cable box only accepts a 2 prong.
-Can I just use a 3 prong adapter or is it not recommened to plug the TV into the cable box? (Samsung HL-S6187)
Thanks!

This is easy: Never plug a three-pronged device into a two-pronged adapter. The third prong is for grounding (and safetly) purposes. FWIW, I never plug anything into the rear AC outlet on my 8300HDs.
post #97 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 02:57 PM

[quote=pepar]Isn't there a setting (in the STB) for variable/fixed output volume. If not, try entering your TV's mfg code into the 8300HD's remote so you can control TV volume.QUOTE]

It is set on variable. But just understand: The volume control bar moves on the bottom of the screen as it did with the old set, but the volume doesn't change. It must have something to do with the HDMI connection vs. the regular cables.
Could it be that I need an HDMI/DVI cable instead of the regular HDMI?
post #98 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Wireless member

[quote=RealAudiophobe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Isn't there a setting (in the STB) for variable/fixed output volume. If not, try entering your TV's mfg code into the 8300HD's remote so you can control TV volume.QUOTE]

It is set on variable. But just understand: The volume control bar moves on the bottom of the screen as it did with the old set, but the volume doesn't change. It must have something to do with the HDMI connection vs. the regular cables.
Could it be that I need an HDMI/DVI cable instead of the regular HDMI?

I'm not an HDMI expert by far, but if you're getting audio at all through the HDMI cable, then the problem is not in the cable. Something about your TV, maybe. And then again, I'm not that familiar with HDMI. Sorry.

If you cannot find the answer, why don't you look into having your 8300HD remote control the TV volume?
post #99 of 441 Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

2 questions:

Thanks!

I suspect that your issue is that the TV is receiving a digital audio signal from the SA8300HD and the volume control function of the 8300 only works on the analog out. I'm probably not familiar with YOUR 8300's remote, but I thought that most of them could be set-up to control the TV volume.

RE: Power connection. It is probably not a good idea to plug the power cord from the TV into the 8300. Besides the grounding issue, you probably don't want to completely cut the power to the TV. Particularly important is not cutting power to the set just after the lamp is shut off - you want the internal fan to cool down the bulb. That won't happen if the power to the set is suddenly shut off.

Dave Hancock
post #100 of 441 Old 12-09-2006, 07:36 AM

Hi, recently upgraded from the explorere SA 4200HD cablebox to the SA 8300HD DVR.
I noticed that the picture quality of the Hi Def channels on SA 8300HD DVR is not as clear as that of the SA4200HD. I've used the same exact compononent cables for both boxes along with my Sony Bravia HD LCD. Do HD DVR's inherently have a lower picture quality than standard HD box? or is the the SA 8300HD DVR defective?
post #101 of 441 Old 12-09-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushimo View Post

Hi, recently upgraded from the explorere SA 4200HD cablebox to the SA 8300HD DVR.
I noticed that the picture quality of the Hi Def channels on SA 8300HD DVR is not as clear as that of the SA4200HD. I've used the same exact compononent cables for both boxes along with my Sony Bravia HD LCD. Do HD DVR's inherently have a lower picture quality than standard HD box? or is the the SA 8300HD DVR defective?

I have nothing to compare it to but I use HDMI and the PQ is outstanding.
post #102 of 441 Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:

2 questions:

Thanks!

On the remote that came with my 8300HD, I programmed my TV brand on the remote which lets me power on/off the TV via the same DVR remote. It also controls TV volume.

One very neat feature of the remote I was provided, is that you can set it to turn on/off multiple devices "at the same time", so I have both the TV and DVR plugged into a power strip. Hitting the power button on the DVR remote, powers off or on, *both* devices with just one button press. Pretty neat.

BTW, I'm also thinking (unconfirmed at the moment), that the "variable" volume setting on the DVR box, does not apply when it's connected via HDMI.

See if you can find the programming guide for your remote.

Cox - SARA v1.88.19.1
post #103 of 441 Old 12-11-2006, 04:49 PM

Is it possible to set the audio output on the SA 8300 to optical without having it be on standby all the time? Other than by unplugging it?
post #104 of 441 Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvjoe View Post

BTW, I'm also thinking (unconfirmed at the moment), that the "variable" volume setting on the DVR box, does not apply when it's connected via HDMI.

Partially correct. The fixed/variable DVR setting only applies to the analog audio outs (Composite, L-R Audio). It is the same if Component is being used instead of HDMI.

Suggestion to find the remote manual is correct. If it's an SA remote, there should be instructions on how to define which device controls volume, in this case the TV, not the 8300.

Cheers, Dave
post #105 of 441 Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAM4 View Post

Is it possible to set the audio output on the SA 8300 to optical without having it be on standby all the time? Other than by unplugging it?

Not sure what you are asking here.

Cheers, Dave
post #106 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 05:47 AM

What I have done is set the TV button on the cable remote for the TV. I turn on the cable box with the remote on cable then hit the tv buton to turn on the tv and adjust the volume. I need to switch back to the cable mode to change the channel. Not as convenient as before when I could turn the tv on and off, adjust the volume, and change channels all in the same mode but it works. (HDMI connection.)
(I was told NOT to plug my new TV, a Samsung HLS 6187, into the cable box the way I did with my tube set so that the cable box turned the set on and off.. I'm not sure why but I have lost that convenience as well.)
All in all not a huge deal but indeed less convenient.
post #107 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

Not sure what you are asking here.

The SA 8000HD sends out an optical signal even when it is turned off. This interferes with the automatic switch on my system selector, and I would like to know if there is any way to disable the optical signal when the cable box is not in use (other than unplugging it).
post #108 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I have done is set the TV button on the cable remote for the TV. I turn on the cable box with the remote on cable then hit the tv buton to turn on the tv and adjust the volume. I need to switch back to the cable mode to change the channel. Not as convenient as before when I could turn the tv on and off, adjust the volume, and change channels all in the same mode but it works. (HDMI connection.)
(I was told NOT to plug my new TV, a Samsung HLS 6187, into the cable box the way I did with my tube set so that the cable box turned the set on and off.. I'm not sure why but I have lost that convenience as well.)
All in all not a huge deal but indeed less convenient.

There are ways of programming a volume "punch through" so that the volume will control a single specific device in all modes. Programming will depend on your specific remote and instructions, etc. You can also set it so that you can have multiple devices (macro) turn on with one power button press.
DO NOT EVER PLUG YOUR MODERN TV INTO THE AC OUTLET OF THE STB !!! This is a switched outlet that is effectively the same thing as ripping the power cable out of the wall while the set is on or having a neighborhood power outage. It's VERY stressfull on modern TV's and should only be used for older TV's that do not have any memory settings - i.e. analog only knob style TV's.

vegggas
post #109 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SA 8000HD sends out an optical signal even when it is turned off. This interferes with the automatic switch on my system selector, and I would like to know if there is any way to disable the optical signal when the cable box is not in use (other than unplugging it).

The optical out carrier is always lit when the box is powered, there is just no audio data. That's the nature of the optical output - The end device controls the signal. Use coaxial digital out for switched digital audio.

vegggas
post #110 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 08:59 AM

My problem is that both the cable box and my dvd player send out an optical signal at all times and my system selector can't handle it. I would switch to coaxial, but I use a surround sound wireless headphone system that only has an optical input, no coax.
post #111 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

My problem is that both the cable box and my dvd player send out an optical signal at all times and my system selector can't handle it. I would switch to coaxial, but I use a surround sound wireless headphone system that only has an optical input, no coax.

The headphone system is attached to your AVR/pre-pro?
post #112 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 09:42 AM

From the switch I split the signal to 1) the receiver and 2) the headphones. I have to do it this way because my receiver does not have an optical out.
post #113 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

From the switch I split the signal to 1) the receiver and 2) the headphones. I have to do it this way because my receiver does not have an optical out.

Drive the receiver with the coaxial output and the headphones with the optical output?
post #114 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 AM

The problem is that both the DVD player and the cable box both send an optical signal at all times and this interferes with the operation of the switch, before it gets to either the receiver or the headphones.
post #115 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 10:00 AM

I would still have to send optical signals through the switch to get to the headphones.
post #116 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I would still have to send optical signals through the switch to get to the headphones.

More than one optical source?

edit: Not to load you up on gear, but have you considered optical and coaxial switching? All of your sources would need both outputs, but if they did you could use one circuit for the headphones and the other for the main system.
post #117 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The problem is that both the DVD player and the cable box both send an optical signal at all times and this interferes with the operation of the switch, before it gets to either the receiver or the headphones.

Does This work for you?

Dave Hancock
post #118 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

More than one optical source?

edit: Not to load you up on gear, but have you considered optical and coaxial switching? All of your sources would need both outputs, but if they did you could use one circuit for the headphones and the other for the main system.

This is the switch I am using:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/1154A.html

As you can see, it can handle optical and coaxial. In theory, I could pass coaxial from each device through the switch, and then to my receiver. I could also pass optical from each device through the switch, and then to my headphones.

But this doesn't solve the problem, which is that the receiver cannot handle having two optical signals passed through it at all times. It can only prioritize a single always-on optical signal. For example, I can plug my cable box into optical slot #4 and then override that signal when I turn on a game console plugged in to a lower number.

However, if I plug my also always-on DVD player and the cable box in at the same time, the switch will prioritize for whichever one is in the lower # slot. One solution is to use the switch manually, but I would have to use the switch manually every time I wanted to switch anything, not just those two always-on devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Does This work for you?

This would work if I placed it before the main switch in the chain, and it's a little better than having to unplug one of the always-on devices when not in use. Not to sound lazy, cheap, or unappreciative, but I would like to get this system to work 100% automatically as is before I spend $$$ on an extra device and cables.
post #119 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

There are ways of programming a volume "punch through" so that the volume will control a single specific device in all modes. Programming will depend on your specific remote and instructions, etc. You can also set it so that you can have multiple devices (macro) turn on with one power button press.vegggas

How do you do this and how does it work when your done?
post #120 of 441 Old 12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

There are ways of programming a volume "punch through" so that the volume will control a single specific device in all modes. Programming will depend on your specific remote and instructions, etc. You can also set it so that you can have multiple devices (macro) turn on with one power button press.
DO NOT EVER PLUG YOUR MODERN TV INTO THE AC OUTLET OF THE STB !!! This is a switched outlet that is effectively the same thing as ripping the power cable out of the wall while the set is on or having a neighborhood power outage. It's VERY stressfull on modern TV's and should only be used for older TV's that do not have any memory settings - i.e. analog only knob style TV's.

vegggas

There is a "Set:A-C Outlet" general setting that allows the user to keep the outlet "Always On" on the SA 8300 HD, but there is still the problem of grounding since it only has room for 2 prongs.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page