Scientific Atlanta HD PVR's / HD STB MASTER THREAD: General Posts/Links Here Only ! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 441 Old 01-24-2007, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsfutter View Post

Here's what's going on:

HDMI from DVR to TV
Optical from DVR to AVR

My TV can't pass through Dolby signals (despite what Samsung's website says). My AVR is not HDMI-capable.

So, when I've got it turned on to HDMI Audio in the DVR setup screen, it must be detecting that my TV can't handle the 5.1 pass through (at least via HDMI) and only pumps it through as PCM.

When I've got "Dolby Digital" selected in the DVR setup, it switches over to the optical output, shuts of audio to HDMI, and causes an HDCP problem.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is an HDMI to DVI adapter to use the DVI port in the back of my TV. I don't think it's my TV causing the problem, but if it is (because it may be confused that there is no audio coming over HDMI) then the DVI port should be fine since it is video only.

Although, I think I've read that others have tried this and there is still an HDCP problem in the signal from the box.

Does that make it a bit clearer?

Yeah, I appreciate the response.

I guess I just assumed that your AVR was HDMI capable. So you are using your AVR as an AR.

You might try using component to the AVR and from the AVR to the TV and ditch the HDMI. I think sometimes it's hard to tell the difference once calibrated properly. That is, if you can stomach the extra wires. I mean you bought the receiver to use as an AVR didn't you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 441 Old 01-24-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexp View Post

I'm running the 8300 to my Denon AVR through HDMI only and have no trouble receiving Dolby digital.

This is a somewhat different subject. What version of software is your cable company using on the 8300? (And by the way, would you please add your location to your profile - when we are talking about cable it can be important in our responses). The reason that I ask is that there has been a problem connecting the 8300HD to displays with HDMI through many AVRs (including Denon). This is the first that I have heard of any Denon being used successfully with the 8300.

Dave Hancock
post #183 of 441 Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

This is a somewhat different subject. What version of software is your cable company using on the 8300? (And by the way, would you please add your location to your profile - when we are talking about cable it can be important in our responses). The reason that I ask is that there has been a problem connecting the 8300HD to displays with HDMI through many AVRs (including Denon). This is the first that I have heard of any Denon being used successfully with the 8300.

Thanks,I'll add my location later today.
I'm in Houston using TWC.
The version is 1.88.22.1.
My setup is as follows:
8300HD==>HDMI==>Denon 2807==>HDMI==>Sharp LC-42D62U

I had a Denon 2307CI that would work also but it would take 3-5 minutes to negotiate with the 8300 for the picture to show up on the TV. After talking to Denon, they aknowledged that a few of the 2307CI's had a "trigger problem" that could be fixed in just a few seconds with a firmware upgrade. I relayed this info to the retailer I purchased the unit from and traded up to the 2807. There is still a slight delay(10 seconds) after turning on the equipment before I get the picture, but all seems to be well with the setup. The 8300 is set for 1080i output only at this time.

By the way, in discovering the problem with the 2307CI, I went through many different configurations with the AVR and the 8300HD including switching it out and running component instead of HDMI to the AVR. I originally thought that it was an issue with the cable box (I've been lurking around this board for some time now - just not posting).
post #184 of 441 Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 PM

I'm noticing a considerable difference between the component and HDMI connections. The component works fine, however. I have no idea how to calibrate my tv beyond the settings intended for consumers.

I appreciate the reply, though. Thanks for caring. =)
post #185 of 441 Old 01-24-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsfutter View Post

...I haven't tried yet is an HDMI to DVI adapter to use the DVI port in the back of my TV ... Although, I think I've read that others have tried this and there is still an HDCP problem in the signal from the box...

It is your money, but I think that might be worth a try.

There have been a couple of reports with a TV offering a dedicated DVI interface with associated L/R stereo inputs that worked to allow DD over optical and digital video signal.
--- i.e. 8300HD HDMI out --> HDMI cable --> HDMI/DVI adapter --> DVI TV input, plus
------- 8300HD L/R stereo out --> Red/White audio cables --> Audio TV input.

The recent failure report using two DVI/HDMI adapters was a slightly different set-up.
--- i.e. 8300HD HDMI out --> HDMI cable --> HDMI/DVI adapter --> DVI/HDMI adapter --> HDMI cable --> HDMI TV input.

v/r,
C-F
post #186 of 441 Old 01-25-2007, 04:12 AM

I'm a little confused. Why do I want the L/R audio if I'm looking for Dolby. Don't you need a digital audio connection to transmit 5.1?
post #187 of 441 Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
DVI is Video only. Therefore, you need L-R Audio cables to get audio to your TV. If you don't care about TV audio, then they are not needed. I use my Denon receiver exclusively for audio, therefore I don't have any audio going to my TV. AFAIK, the way you have it connected now with HDMI really should work though. I don't know why switching the 8300 from HDMI to DD should lose the HDCP handshake. What happens if you turn the 8300 and TV off, then turn the TV back on followed by the 8300 after the setting is switched to DD?

Cheers, Dave
post #188 of 441 Old 01-25-2007, 07:53 AM

OK. I understand the L/R thought now. I don't need my TV audio so that part of it is ok.

As for the HDCP issue, it's not switching it from HDMI to DD that causes the problem. It's leaving it on the DD setting, turning everything off for a number of minutes, and then starting back up. Turning off the DVR still yields a snow field on the TV.

Following your suggestion, full power down, TV on, wait, DVR on: still yields the snow field.

Cycling through display options fixes the issue (always). Switching to component video with stereo (DVR option), then HDMI with stereo fixes it also... and allows me to then change to Dolby Digital (DVR option).

I have some thoughts that might alleviate the problem. I'm going to try to configure an exit macro on my Harmony so that when I exit the TV activity (which I have two of: Surround and Stereo) it sets up for HDMI audio (DVR option).

If my theory is correct, that should alleviate any problems.

I also re-adjusted display settings (just in case I missed something). I've got it set for 1080i, 720p (my TV's native resolution), and 480p (both). I used to have it set for 720p and 480p only. I don't know if the problem has anything to do with a 1080i signal being converted down to 720p in the box and then pushed to the TV. Regardless, I think my display does a better job of downconverting the 1080i signal than the DVR does.

Whew. This is a lot of experimentation. I'm learning a ton, though.
post #189 of 441 Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I have 8300HD's connected by HDMI to Denon 4806's in NYC (TWC) and CT (Cablevision). I have had no problems.

I have another 8300HD connected by HDMI directly to a Sony XBR LCD. That sometimes displays a "blacked-out" screen telling me I need to reconnect it using component cables. I turn it off and on and this disappears (so far). Someone at Cablevision in NJ is telling installers that HDMI is not supported and that all cabling should be coponent.
post #190 of 441 Old 01-27-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am having a problem with my 8300HD. Starting yesterday, after unplugging the 8300HD to reboot it (connecting an external drive), the drive has not been able to reboot itself. The clock does not come on or anything. After waiting for about 30 minutes, I pushed the power button and got a blue screen with "Scientific Atlanta" on it. After another minute, I get the message "Advanced Services Not Available" and my standard, basic cable comes through. I have tried doing a reboot, hard reboot, forced reboot, and even a "last resort" (all as described in the "Tips & Tricks" thread) but was unable to get the 8300HD to boot back up. Finally, I gave up and exchanged the STB for a new one. You'd think all problems would be solved, but nope, the EXACT same thing happens with this NEW box! I called the tech people at TW (for about the 4th time now) and they said that it must be a "digital signal problem" and that I would have to wait for a tech to come out tomorrow, giving me an "all-day" appointment. By now I am very frustrated. I did NOT want to turn in my previous box if it was not the box's problem because I did not want to lose all I had on it. After learning that the problem may not lie in the box itself, I went back to the TW store to try and get my old one back. The man would not let me retrieve it, saying it was already "in the buffer," or something to that effect, and that it could not be given back to me. I literally had just turned the box in to them 30 minutes earlier so I did not see the problem with just handing it back to me. Now I lost everything on that box all for nothing, as this new box produces the same problem. I am really getting fed up with TW and I don't want to have to deal with them anymore. As far as this tech coming out, I am not all too optimistic that they will be able to do something I won't have figured out myself. Half the time I have to tell these techs how to correctly do something. Is there anyone who is familiar with a situation like mine and might be able to direct me on how to rectify it? I would be so greatful to anyone who can point me in the direction to go about fixing this problem. Looking forward to any response. Thanks in advance.

post #191 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I need help with my 8300HD. On Monday night I recorded 24 and Heroes at the same time. Both show up fine in my list. Last night I was watching Heroes without any problems, but when I tried to watch 24 I just got the screen you get if you go to the 'DVR channel'. Any suggestions?
post #192 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Omi View Post

I need help with my 8300HD. On Monday night I recorded 24 and Heroes at the same time. Both show up fine in my list. Last night I was watching Heroes without any problems, but when I tried to watch 24 I just got the screen you get if you go to the 'DVR channel'. Any suggestions?

What do you mean by the "DVR channel?" What program length is shown in the recording list for the episode of 24?

There are two different softwares being run on the 8300HD - Passport and SARA. Do either of those names appear when you turn on the box or go to the program guide?

Please list your location and cable provider - in your sig would be the best place for that info.
post #193 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 AM

"DVR Channel" for us here in Tampa, FL with Brighthouse is 899. All recordings use that for playback. The program length shown in the recording list for the episode is 1 hour. I don't know which software is in my box.
post #194 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

"DVR Channel" for us here in Tampa, FL with Brighthouse is 899. All recordings use that for playback. The program length shown in the recording list for the episode is 1 hour. I don't know which software is in my box.

I guess at this point, we should determine your software as the two operate differently in many respects. Press and hold EXIT and SELECT (on the 8300HD) until you hear a ding. Be patient; it may take five seconds. When you hear it, release the buttons and press EXIT again. You should now be into the DIAG screens. You can now use the UP and DOWN buttons on the 8300HD OR the remote to page through the various screens. Go to the screen called "Versions" and post what you find there for ResApp Version.

As I'm not familiar with the "DVR Channel" thing, I'm betting you're on SARA. If that is the case, go to the first post in this thread and click on the third SARA link. There you will find quite a few SARA whizzes.
post #195 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

pepar,

When you play back a recording, doesn't it use a specific channel on Passport? When I select Menu and scroll through the IPG, I eventually come to one marked DVR, 800 here. It's been too long since I played with Passport in North Carolina.

Also, I believe the instructions you posted work for Passport, not SARA, so if they don't work, he probably has SARA and needs to check in wth the SARA Tips & Tricks thread. If he has SARA, he can press and hold the Pause button on the remote until the Mail LED lights, then press the Page Down (-) button to scroll the diagnostics pages.

Cheers, Dave
post #196 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

When you play back a recording, doesn't it use a specific channel on Passport? When I select Menu and scroll through the IPG, I eventually come to one marked DVR, 800 here. It's been too long since I played with Passport in North Carolina.

Nope, in Passport the GUIDE shows only the cable channels. Pressing LIST brings up recordings. When he said DVR channel, I was sure he had SARA.

Quote:

Also, I believe the instructions you posted work for Passport, not SARA, so if they don't work, he probably has SARA and needs to check in wth the SARA Tips & Tricks thread. If he has SARA, he can press and hold the Pause button on the remote until the Mail LED lights, then press the Page Down (-) button to scroll the diagnostics pages.

I thought it was true for all 8300HDs regardless of software. Thanks for the correction, I will stop giving that instruction unless I know they are using Passport.
post #197 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I suspected SARA too, but didn't know Passport doesn't identify the playback channel like SARA does. But then, Passport tracks bookmarks, so being able to tune directly to the playback channel isn't needed/useful. I think I like the SARA diagnostics scheme a little better though. With SARA, I press Pause twice, holding it the second time. This allows me to still see what I was viewing. When the diagnostics come up, I can press B to make them semit-transparent/transparent and still see what I was viewing. I also like being able to temporarily tune from the Playback Channel to another channel and back and resume viewing my recording from where I left off without having to go through a series of menus. Of course, I'd also like bookmarks, but it's rare that I don't finish one recording before I view another one. Of course, we tend to match out viewing habits to the options available to us, don't we?

Cheers, Dave
post #198 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I suspected SARA too, but didn't know Passport doesn't identify the playback channel like SARA does. But then, Passport tracks bookmarks, so being able to tune directly to the playback channel isn't needed/useful. I think I like the SARA diagnostics scheme a little better though. With SARA, I press Pause twice, holding it the second time.

While standing on your left leg facing true north?
post #199 of 441 Old 01-31-2007, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quote:

When this has happened to me, I was never able to watch the affected show. I have started rebooting the 8300HD every week to try to prevent these kinds of problems.
post #200 of 441 Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

While standing on your left leg facing true north?

I should have noted that the reason I press Pause twice is to restart to program. If I just press Pause once, the program obviously pauses. Pressing the second time lets the program continue while holding it waiting for the Mail LED. The fact that Passport incorporates this stuff into menus is so much better than SARA, but either way, the info is available and it's just a matter of getting used to one or the other. The bigger problem is that some of these SARA button presses are not documented.

Cheers, Dave
post #201 of 441 Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

When this has happened to me, I was never able to watch the affected show. I have started rebooting the 8300HD every week to try to prevent these kinds of problems.

I guess no one made that clear, did we? The program is almost certainly not there, for whatever reason.

Cheers, Dave
post #202 of 441 Old 02-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I guess no one made that clear, did we? The program is almost certainly not there, for whatever reason.

Is RussB's problem a "known bug" or is there something wrong with his specific box? Rebooting weekly wouldn't seem (to me) to be "normal"
post #203 of 441 Old 02-01-2007, 08:31 AM

OK, so in order to go to the DIAG screen I had to hold the Select button on the front of the unit until the Mail light started to flash then I pressed the INFO button (that means SARA righ?).
post #204 of 441 Old 02-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

OK, so in order to go to the DIAG screen I had to hold the Select button on the front of the unit until the Mail light started to flash then I pressed the INFO button (that means SARA righ?).

That'd be my conclusion.
post #205 of 441 Old 02-01-2007, 09:38 AM

OK, so any ideas on how to fix this?
post #206 of 441 Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

OK, so any ideas on how to fix this?

You need to go to the SARA thread and ask the experts.
post #207 of 441 Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Omi,

There is really no way to fix it, the recording is simply not there. If we could figure out how or why this happens, we'd be able to recreate it and get it fixed. Unfortunately, it usually only happens once in a blue moon, so it's hard to troubleshoot.

Some people have developed the habit of rebooting weekly to try to avoid such problems, but I can't find anything that says that really does anything. I never reboot unless I run into some kind of problem I can't figure out, I get a software upgrade, or I'm testing something.

I seem to remember getting a blank recording once too, but it's been so long that I don't recall any specifics. I also recall rebooting once and having some old recordings show up in the list that were also not viewable. Although the reboot/hard reboot didn't recover the recording, hopefully it cleared whatever the problem was and you won't have any further difficulties. So, unless it happens again (or with some regularity), I wouldn't worry about it, but that's me.

Cheers, Dave
post #208 of 441 Old 02-02-2007, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Is RussB's problem a "known bug" or is there something wrong with his specific box? Rebooting weekly wouldn't seem (to me) to be "normal"

It is a preventive measure. Instead of waiting for a problem to show up and then rebooting, I reboot on a weekly basis to try to prevent problems. The reason I started rebooting weekly is because once or twice a month the DVR would miss recording a scheduled program. Click here to go to another post about rebooting. Also, read the post following that one.

I watch a lot of programs and I record every program I watch. This allows me to pause a program without missing any of it even if I have two other recordings scheduled following it. I use the play from beginning option frequently. I wonder if recording so many programs may cause the DVR problems.

I have two other DVRs that don't record as much and they don't seem to miss recording a scheduled program so I don't reboot those unless there is a problem.
post #209 of 441 Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, there are limitations to RAM, but it's difficult to determine just what they are. I record almost everything we watch during Primetime, but generally not at other times during the day. How many recordings are we talking about Russ?

Cheers, Dave
post #210 of 441 Old 02-02-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, there are limitations to RAM, but it's difficult to determine just what they are. I record almost everything we watch during Primetime, but generally not at other times during the day. How many recordings are we talking about Russ?

I usually have about a dozen recordings per day. Most are for first run episodes, but a few are for episodes in this time slot or for episodes at any time. Sometimes, I record one episode, too. In prime time, I record two programs at the same time for about 2 out of 3 hours.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page