post #271 of 474 Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Can someone else find this link? I am getting breakups using firestb.msi no matter which software I use (HD only, SD works). I have followed all of the other steps...

Thanks,
xnappo

Found it!

http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/f...b-vistarc1.msi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 474 Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbd90 View Post

Found it!

http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/f...b-vistarc1.msi

Thanks - will give this one a try. There seem to be quite a few floating around - some work better than others but I haven't found any that work for me with no breakup at all (best is like 1 glitch every 5 mins with HD).

I am using a slowish laptop, but the CPU meter doesn't seems stressed...

xnappo
post #273 of 474 Old 08-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

I will glitch if i don't disable processes and wireless for some reason.
I have made many 1 minute clips to test recordings and this has always been the case.
post #274 of 474 Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Liked: 10
I was looking through the list and couldn't find anything about uploading saved shows from my 8300HD to my mac via firewire. Do I need any special programs or drivers so I can simply view the box as a hard drive? I am also running Vista on my pc side, would it be easier to just get the drivers there?
post #275 of 474 Old 08-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmrizzojr View Post

I was looking through the list and couldn't find anything about uploading saved shows from my 8300HD to my mac via firewire. Do I need any special programs or drivers so I can simply view the box as a hard drive? I am also running Vista on my pc side, would it be easier to just get the drivers there?

Look further back. Page 6-8 had mention of the mac efforts and a link to that forum topic.
post #276 of 474 Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM

Hello all. I am new to EVERYTHING on here.

I understand bits and pieces, and was hoping that someone could really simplify all of this.

First, what is "SARA" and "Passport", and what do they have to do with capturing to your PC's HDD?

Next, can anyone find a way to put all the 'vital' info needed to hook all of this up? Like, some sort of step by step procedure, so as to take out some of the non-related garbage posts....eg.- like this one!

After reading through all of this, I'm still unclear how to capture streaming video from my SA8300HD DVR. I am running Windows XP Media Edition, and I have a 'firewire' plugged into the Set Top Box, and my computer. I have downloaded drivers, and associated them where they need to be. I also downloaded the new version of VLC player, but can't get ANYTHING to work.

Can someone make a step by step guide for newbies like me to this new world of HD, and capture ability? College football season is almost here, and I'd like to capture some games.

Thanks in advance.
post #277 of 474 Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwups1 View Post

Hello all. I am new to EVERYTHING on here.

I understand bits and pieces, and was hoping that someone could really simplify all of this.

First, what is "SARA" and "Passport", and what do they have to do with capturing to your PC's HDD?

Next, can anyone find a way to put all the 'vital' info needed to hook all of this up? Like, some sort of step by step procedure, so as to take out some of the non-related garbage posts....eg.- like this one!

After reading through all of this, I'm still unclear how to capture streaming video from my SA8300HD DVR. I am running Windows XP Media Edition, and I have a 'firewire' plugged into the Set Top Box, and my computer. I have downloaded drivers, and associated them where they need to be. I also downloaded the new version of VLC player, but can't get ANYTHING to work.

Can someone make a step by step guide for newbies like me to this new world of HD, and capture ability? College football season is almost here, and I'd like to capture some games.

Thanks in advance.

I'll let the experts give you the long answer, but the I think the short version is that it's a long, involved process that is difficult to succeed at and most folks seem to have better luck with an Apple computer.

At least that's what I gather from seeing the on-going discussions here......

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #278 of 474 Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
SARA, PASSPORT, & NAVIGATOR are software types that each cable company uses on their DVR. (somewhat ~ Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror)

Go here Scientific Atlanta HD PVR's / HD STB MASTER THREAD: General Posts/Links Here Only ! for links to the various pages.

The SARA thread has some pictures of SARA and PASSPORT for comparison.

Go here to get to your local page, where someone has probably already posted what software you are running, except if you are on TWC and PASSPORT - where you might have one of the new boxes with NAVIGATOR on it (especially if it has a CableCard (PCMCIA card in back).

There are a couple of posts in this thread (that you should have already seen) that have the step-by-step instructions for various platforms. Given the general trend, I would not expect this to be simple easy or quick. Can't help there, I never got around to trying it out yet.

When you have some specific questions, it would probably help to include your location, provider, DVR software version and the like, as they are all different based on how the cable provider sets their network up.

v/r,
C-F
post #279 of 474 Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the timely responses.

After toying around for a while, I was able to record a movie I already had on my DVR (16 Blocks), and it looked pretty decent.

I just spent over 300 bucks for a new video card (HD..yeah right) that can capture, but not like the picture I saw using VLC. The picture was a bit choppy still, from time to time, but still blew away my previous attempts with my card (Hauppauge).

Now, the good thing about my capture card is I can use Nero along with it, and once I'm finished capturing, I can change the format Mpeg-2 to Mpeg-4 without hesitating. However, the (.ts) file is becoming difficult to manage. What is the best way to convert this file over to Mpeg, without losing much quality? If I try to use Nero, while the Firewire is still connected, my system shuts down, and restarts. So, I guess I'm trying to find a faster way to convert from a .ts file, to a file I can use like Mpeg-4, to copy to a disc.

Again, thanks in advance.
post #280 of 474 Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 PM

I tried to change the registry like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, but I don't have what they have, even after downloading the "firewire drivers" from Microsoft.

Quote:
"1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\PCI\\13 94_hc _hw_id\\1394_instance_id\\Device Parameters
3. If the SidSpeed value does not exist in the right pane after you click the Device Parameters subkey in step 2, create it. To do this, point to New on the Edit menu, click DWORD Value, type SidSpeed, and then press ENTER.
4. Right-click SidSpeed, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type one of the values that are shown in the following table, and then click OK.
Value Speed
0 S100 speed
1 S200 speed
2 S400 speed (default value)
3 S400/S800 speed (Windows XP Service Pack 1 [SP1] value)
Note If you try to use a value that is larger than 3, SidSpeed will use a value of 0 (S100 speed).
6. Quit Registry Editor.

You'll need to know your 1394 Hardware ID....

mine looks like this...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\PCI\\VE N_121 7&DEV_00F7&SUBSYS_01CC1028&REV_02\\4&2fe911e8&0&0CF0\\Device Parameters"

This is the original message.....however, I can only see this....

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\PCI"....and then it looks nothing like his. I want to make this work the best way I can. I am using VLC to help capture, TSconverter to change to Mpeg-2, than Avivo (nice program) to convert to Mpeg-4 (which makes file much smaller without losing quality).

Problem is, ESPN is choppy, not VERY choppy, but choppy, when I capture a recorded HD show (CFB Live). How do I fix this? 16 Blocks was very easy...recorded it from HBOHD, and then captured it almost flawlessly. Took me no longer than 15 minutes to do everthing, after movie captured.

I want to have this ready by football season, so I can record my favorite games, and watch them when I want to.

Thanks.
post #281 of 474 Old 08-12-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks for the timely responses.

After toying around for a while, I was able to record a movie I already had on my DVR (16 Blocks), and it looked pretty decent.

I just spent over 300 bucks for a new video card (HD..yeah right) that can capture, but not like the picture I saw using VLC. The picture was a bit choppy still, from time to time, but still blew away my previous attempts with my card (Hauppauge).

Now, the good thing about my capture card is I can use Nero along with it, and once I'm finished capturing, I can change the format Mpeg-2 to Mpeg-4 without hesitating. However, the (.ts) file is becoming difficult to manage. What is the best way to convert this file over to Mpeg, without losing much quality? If I try to use Nero, while the Firewire is still connected, my system shuts down, and restarts. So, I guess I'm trying to find a faster way to convert from a .ts file, to a file I can use like Mpeg-4, to copy to a disc.

Again, thanks in advance.

Now that you've got it working, how about throwing together that quick step-by-step process you were looking for?

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #282 of 474 Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\PCI\\1394_hc _hw_id\\1394_instance_id\\Device Parameters

You'll need to know your 1394 Hardware ID....
mine looks like this...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\PCI\\VEN_121 7&DEV_00F7&SUBSYS_01CC1028&REV_02\\4&2fe911e8&0&0CF0\\Device Parameters"

I wrote a bunch before and lost it trying to get a picture to show...

Basically, the thing you missed was that Windows assigns a string of gobbledygook (its actually descriptive, but looks like nonsense) as the Device ID and a Device Instance ID to everything in your computer.

These can be found in the Device Manager.
Start
-Right Click My Computer
--Properties
---Hardware Tab
----Device Manager Button
-----Find IEEE 1394 Host bus controller
------Expand it [+]
-------Find device
--------Right Click
---------Properties
----------Details Tab
-----------Device ID\\Device Instance ID

I do not know how to make the pictures display in the post, you will have to click on them...

v/r,
C-F
LL
LL
post #283 of 474 Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 AM

Ah, okay...cannon. Thank you...I found it. Now, do I type in "2" or do I type in everything on that line?

Also, if anyone had a good setup for VLC, and I know it has an advanced menu, could you please post it. I'm hoping that I'm missing something in VLC when I try to record ESPNHD, and that is causing the picture problems. It looks like a bunch of squares popping up all over the screen, and the audio "statics" out. Is that what it means to "drop packets"?

Thanks yet again.
post #284 of 474 Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You will create a DWORD that should only be {0,1,2,3} as input, any other value will be ignored.

Set to Hexadecimal, it will only accept {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F}.
Set to Decimal, it will only accept {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}.

Be careful mucking about in the registry...
You can back it up by collapsing everything in the left (tree) pane until only "My Computer" is left and highlighted, then hit "File" and "Export".
Immediately rename it to ___.txt because the default action when double-clicked is to import whatever is in there...

v/r,
C-F
post #285 of 474 Old 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM

Has anyone found a good setup for VLC? I want to make sure I have every setting right here. "16 Blocks" came out okay, but ESPN has A LOT of hiccups. I know it can be done, because I found where someone recorded the Maryland/Purdue (Champs Sports Bowl) from ESPNHD, and it was flawless. I don't know who it was, but I'd love to know how he/she did it. When I try to "capture" from the recorded shows on my DVR, I found that if I don't play while I record, it looks better, but not perfect. I'm just wondering if there is a setting I am not seeing here.

Any help would be great. Most on here know way more than I do, so if you can tell me the settings from VLC, and for my computer, I'd be quite thankful.
post #286 of 474 Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most on here know way more than I do, so if you can tell me the settings from VLC, and for my computer, I'd be quite thankful.

My success has only been with TSreader.

VLC never worked for me, but I would try suggested settings as well.
post #287 of 474 Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Hi guys. I have an HP M7757c running Vista and I have installed firestb with no problems. I do have a question though. Is anyone that is using this able to use the LiveTV function? Since my SA8300HD is connected to the pc via SVIDEO, I can only see HD at 480i. I have the firewire connection and it would be great if I can use that connection instead of the svideo. Thanks for your help.
post #288 of 474 Old 09-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Just got the 8300HD box today from Time Warner. Is there a guide on how to transfer recordings from firewire to PC ?
post #289 of 474 Old 09-12-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbd90 View Post

My success has only been with TSreader.

VLC never worked for me, but I would try suggested settings as well.

Now, by success you mean....you can get perfect recordings, or your recordings are just as bad using VLC? I downloaded TSReader Lite, and I had the same results. Only difference is, I could only record for 1 minute.

VLC seems to work, but there has to be a setting(s) that I'm not getting right here. CapDVHS recordings were PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT!!!! However, the program died on me within 10 seconds. Whoever made that program, had it right, and is in the right direction. He/she just needs to tweak it.
post #290 of 474 Old 09-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

HBOHD, CinemaxHD, STARZHD, ShowtimeHD have all be perfect with TS reader.

I had some problems with NBCHD recordings, but i don't capture TV shows so it doesn't affect me.
post #291 of 474 Old 09-26-2007, 04:54 AM

For those of you using SageTV, I've developed a way to use a Macintosh on your home network as a SageTV Firewire Network Encoder. As many have noticed, firewire captures from Mac are often clean whereas from PC it is pixelated. I've only tested it on MacOS 10.4.8 (10.4.x required) and an SA4200HD. Works great. It'll even turn on the box before the recording and turn it off when done.

See http://www.hugolyppens.com/SageTVFir...rkEncoder.html
post #292 of 474 Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guho View Post

For those of you using SageTV, I've developed a way to use a Macintosh on your home network as a SageTV Firewire Network Encoder. As many have noticed, firewire captures from Mac are often clean whereas from PC it is pixelated. I've only tested it on MacOS 10.4.8 (10.4.x required) and an SA4200HD. Works great. It'll even turn on the box before the recording and turn it off when done.

See http://www.hugolyppens.com/SageTVFir...rkEncoder.html

Guho, this is fantastic. This is exactly the solution I have been waiting for. I have SageTV running on WinXP recording SD via firewire only and my MAC Laptop manually pulling HD via firewire. I am on the road but will try this on the weekend. (Funny because I told someone just today that I was waiting for this since I did not have time and possibly the skills to develop it myself.)

In creating this, were your intentions to correct/bypass the firewire "incompatibilities" of XP? Have you tested it using the MAC SageTV Server? Are there any particular areas you want tested by other users?
post #293 of 474 Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskill View Post

Guho, this is fantastic. This is exactly the solution I have been waiting for. I have SageTV running on WinXP recording SD via firewire only and my MAC Laptop manually pulling HD via firewire. I am on the road but will try this on the weekend. (Funny because I told someone just today that I was waiting for this since I did not have time and possibly the skills to develop it myself.)

In creating this, were your intentions to correct/bypass the firewire "incompatibilities" of XP? Have you tested it using the MAC SageTV Server? Are there any particular areas you want tested by other users?

That's exactly why I created it. I'm curious whether it'll work with other cableboxes besides SA4200HD (must be able to change channel via firewire) and whether it'll work on PowerPC Macs. I do not have a MAC SageTV server. Those who have it can run the SageTV firewire network encoder on the same computer of course.
post #294 of 474 Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 PM

I will test on the SA3250HD (I also have a SA3800HD but it will not pass live video via firewire, only previously recorded).
post #295 of 474 Old 09-28-2007, 04:17 PM

guho, I really need some help figuring out the mounting stuff cause it is not working for me.
post #296 of 474 Old 09-29-2007, 03:18 PM

http://scientificatlanta.com/contact...merservice.htm

Let them know of the firewire problems! I already called and told them about the known issues and the rep forwarded it to the engineers. Also, told them about this forum so they could see it for themselves.
post #297 of 474 Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Has anyone figured out yet how to keep "CapDVHS" from crashing upon HD transfer from the SA Explorer 8300HD box to a PC (I don't have a mac so that is out of the question) via firewire? I have successfully transfered 1 one hour show in HD upon install and every subsequent attempt the program has crashed within 2 seconds of starting. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers to no avail.

This must sound redundent by now considering not only how old this discussion has been going, but how old these drivers are....2005? I wouldn't care so much if "CapDVHS" didn't crash or "VLC" could successfully capture anything in HD without pixelating/skipping all to oblivion.
post #298 of 474 Old 10-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorTex View Post

Has anyone figured out yet how to keep "CapDVHS" from crashing upon HD transfer from the SA Explorer 8300HD box to a PC (I don't have a mac so that is out of the question) via firewire? I have successfully transfered 1 one hour show in HD upon install and every subsequent attempt the program has crashed within 2 seconds of starting. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers to no avail.

This must sound redundent by now considering not only how old this discussion has been going, but how old these drivers are....2005? I wouldn't care so much if "CapDVHS" didn't crash or "VLC" could successfully capture anything in HD without pixelating/skipping all to oblivion.

You and I are in the same boat. I tried using different codecs with VLC like....(.dv, .dvr-ms, .mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .m2p, .m2v, .mp4, .nd, .vob, .wmv)

Most work, but I have the same problem. Either, it's extremely pixelated, or it seems to record in "fast forward". I'm still messing around with it, but it seems like there may be other methods of doing this altogether.

Cable outputs (QAM)....right? Seems like this Hauppauge video card would work great. Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800

Does anyone know if this would work? Seems like it would be faster...and less of a headache.
post #299 of 474 Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM

I have search this forum and can't find any details on where I can get the windows drivers for the SA8300HD. I am running Windows 2000, and would like to connect the box to my computer.

Any details would be greatly apprecieated.
post #300 of 474 Old 10-13-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorTex View Post

the firewire port is buggy, can't do anything about it untiil they fix it with a software update...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page