post #181 of 474 Old 04-02-2007, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyv@cybernex. View Post

a8vdeluxe,

In my case SD channels record perfectly but the HD channels are all pixilated and audio is choppy. If you read some of my earler posts on this page you will find a firewire hotfix procedure from microsoft. In a nutshell here is the information I refer to.

I tryed this and it did make it better but the problem still does exist. It seems the problem is in the firestb drivers. I'm in the process of setting up a Macintosh G4 which from all I have read in the forums seems to work perfectly.

So as fustrating as it is don't give up. Your amoung many of us here who are having the same exact problems.

I borrowed a mini mac from a colleague at work and low and behold like others have mentioned it performs flawlessly for archiving from the SA8300HD. I'm going to pick up a used Mac on ebay for the time being. I'll keep checking in on this thread though hoping one day someone fixes the firewire drivers for the PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 474 Old 04-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertainty View Post

I borrowed a mini mac from a colleague at work and low and behold like others have mentioned it performs flawlessly for archiving from the SA8300HD. I'm going to pick up a used Mac on ebay for the time being. I'll keep checking in on this thread though hoping one day someone fixes the firewire drivers for the PC.

uncertainty,

How well did the mini mac play back the raw .ts stream. I've read a few post that said that the less powerful mac's like the G3/G4 do a great job of capturing streams but playback of the stream is not so great unless you have a powerful machine like a g5 or better.

I just got done setting up a g4 but have not had time to test it yet.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #183 of 474 Old 04-02-2007, 06:46 PM

The mac mini I had for the weekend was the 1.66mhz version (low end) and using VLC it was able to display full 1080i with no pausing. However I'm just going to pick up a low end Mac on ebay to just save my recordings as I already have my HTPC setup for that purpose.
post #184 of 474 Old 04-10-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:

The mac mini I had for the weekend was the 1.66mhz version (low end) and using VLC it was able to display full 1080i with no pausing. However I'm just going to pick up a low end Mac on ebay to just save my recordings as I already have my HTPC setup for that purpose.

Out of curiousity how powerful is your Macintosh HTPC setup (processor speed)? Do you think 1.66mhz is the bare minimum processor that should be used to playback the 1080i recordings?

Also with your MACintosh, which HD-channels were you able to successfully record(CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,etc..)? Were you able to record TNT,DISC, or Universal?

Final question: were there any issues with recording prerecorded content from your SA8300 DVR or were you only able to record live content?
Thanks for sharing this valuable info!
post #185 of 474 Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 PM

I just swapped my old 8300HD for a new one that has the 1394 ports so I'm looking forward to giving this a try. Has anybody tried it with Vista? Are the drivers and VLC going to work in Vista? ...I have a HTPC with a E6600 core2duo and 2GB of RAM, so I expect there's enough horsepower under that hood, but it's runnign XP-MCE right now so I'm wondering if better luck could be had if I dug up a copy of Vista...

-Brian
post #186 of 474 Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbwiz View Post

Out of curiousity how powerful is your Macintosh HTPC setup (processor speed)? Do you think 1.66mhz is the bare minimum processor that should be used to playback the 1080i recordings?

Also with your MACintosh, which HD-channels were you able to successfully record(CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,etc..)? Were you able to record TNT,DISC, or Universal?

Final question: were there any issues with recording prerecorded content from your SA8300 DVR or were you only able to record live content?
Thanks for sharing this valuable info!

The Mac Mini I had (1.66mzh duo core 2) was just a loaner from a colleague and it was fine for playing back my 1080i material (TS flavor). I was able to backup any of my recordings on the SA8300HD and also time-shift (let buffer build for 1 min or so then record the material) some live material, such as TNTHD, would cause many video artifacts when recorded in this manner.

Keep in mind the ability of archiving your recordings is also dependant on your cable provider as they may modify the 'copy once' bit.
post #187 of 474 Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgarand View Post

I just swapped my old 8300HD for a new one that has the 1394 ports so I'm looking forward to giving this a try. Has anybody tried it with Vista? Are the drivers and VLC going to work in Vista? ...I have a HTPC with a E6600 core2duo and 2GB of RAM, so I expect there's enough horsepower under that hood, but it's runnign XP-MCE right now so I'm wondering if better luck could be had if I dug up a copy of Vista...

-Brian

The firewire drivers currently available are for the MCE/XP so you will have to use them for vista. I wish you the best of luck but if you read this entire thread I think you will see that many feel those drivers need to be improved to allow archiving to a PC.
post #188 of 474 Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:

-Brian

If you could dig up a copy of OSX Tiger for X86 systems, then you might have something. Supposedly, it works...
post #189 of 474 Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyv@cybernex. View Post

I'm going to set up a mac g4 with OSX 10.4 tiger this weekend. Can you give me some detail as to what I will need to set up capturing such as firewire driver, video capture software etc. etc. plus any other hints or tricks you can think of.

Just want to follow-up on my attempts with the mac g4 that I setup.
The mac captures far better then the PC. I captured a 1 hour HD program on a network cable channel and a 1 hour HBO HD show and both captured perfectly with no frame dropouts. I had some microblocking and audio dropout which was on the 8300hd original recording. I noticed that after the microblocking and audio dropout on the HBO show. The audio went out of sync for about 5 minutes. On the network show (the program 24 on fox) the microblocking and audio dropouts on the origional recording (8300hd) were present on the capture but did not make the audio go out of sync. The microblocking and audio dropouts were not excessive (once every 20mins or so). I used mpeg2repair on these streams but this did not help. I used avcdvhs to capture and did not need to use avcbrowser to detect the stb. I had to open and close avcdvhs many times before it let me capture anything (capture button remained grayed out). If anyone has a solution or explination as to why this is happening on avcdvhs it would be greatly appreciated.

I copied the stream from the Mac G4 to my PC and used nero vision express 7.0 to convert the stream to DVD and this worked perfectly and resulted in DVD quality video and 5.1 digital audio. Nero also recoginized the stream (.m2t) from the mac and needed no converting.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #190 of 474 Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:

The firewire drivers currently available are for the MCE/XP so you will have to use them for vista. I wish you the best of luck but if you read this entire thread I think you will see that many feel those drivers need to be improved to allow archiving to a PC.

Just a thought... those drivers are for the STB, not the firewire interface itself. Maybe vista's new driverbase has improved upon XP's support of FIREWIRE... Im gonna dig up a copy of vista and try it out, to rule it out.
post #191 of 474 Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

It doesnt, and it didn't.
Those drivers you're all using aren't XP drivers anyway.
No additions were made to AV/C drivers in Vista.
So you might as well not even bother.
If every person who's contacted me over these last 2 years about "writing a new windows 1394 driver" would acutally complete their projects we'd have about 10 different drivers to choose from.
post #192 of 474 Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post

It doesnt, and it didn't.
Those drivers you're all using aren't XP drivers anyway.
No additions were made to AV/C drivers in Vista.
So you might as well not even bother.
If every person who's contacted me over these last 2 years about "writing a new windows 1394 driver" would acutally complete their projects we'd have about 10 different drivers to choose from.

I wish i saw this yesterday. Vista is kicking my htpc's old ass anyway. Who woulda think no nforce2 support, no ati 9250 720p support. What a pain. oh, to uninstall...
post #193 of 474 Old 04-20-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post

paule123

I've been trying to capture HD in so many ways and with different PCs is not even funny and I came to the conclusion the firewire driver in XP is broken, until is fix or we get a new one I don't think we'll be able to sucessfuly capturing HD.
The funny part is I have the same laptop as you and reading your previous post of having good results using a Mac I decided to convert my Dell in a MacIntel and guess what it works great !!! and let me tell you it's a pleasure to run not crashes it just plain work.
My next computer is definitely a Mac, please don't ask how I did it, Google it.
I leave you a screen grab of my Dell capturing HD.

Hey Meteor... excellent work. What version is that? Im trying to see if my hardware is compatible.\\\\ Thanks
post #194 of 474 Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock99rock View Post

Hey Meteor... excellent work. What version is that? Im trying to see if my hardware is compatible.\\\\ Thanks

Rock, what I did it's highly illegal, I was frustrated working with broken firewire drivers in XP and reading from people having success with the MAC I decided to give it a try.
I borrowed tiger OSX version 10.4.8 disk from a friend.
WARNING-- Apple would never ever release the OS for PC users, even if you buy a legitimate OSX disk from the store and install on a PC you're breaking the license agreement.
If you're still want to pursuit this, search on the net or go to insanelymac forum for info in your hardware.
I already bought a MacPro laptop and I am having excellent results transferring from my 8300HD, too bad the cable co. is adding copyright flags in most of the premium channels, leaving just the locals and a few others.
post #195 of 474 Old 04-25-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Rock, what I did it's highly illegal, I was frustrated working with broken firewire drivers in XP and reading from people having success with the MAC I decided to give it a try.
WARNING-- Apple would never ever release the OS for PC users, even if you buy a legitimate OSX disk from the store and install on a PC you're breaking the license agreement.
If you're still want to pursuit this, search on the net or go to insanelymac forum for info in your hardware.
I already bought a MacPro laptop and I am having excellent results transferring from my 8300HD, too bad the cable co. is adding copyright flags in most of the premium channels, leaving just the locals and a few others.

When you encounter the 5c flag with the 8300HD what is the result? Ie is it just degraded video/audio quality or no video/audio at all?

Reason I ask is I'm now and then getting degraded video recording some 1080i channels but not others so I'm guessing the 5c flag is the cause of it.
post #196 of 474 Old 04-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Liked: 11
I just downgraded my cable service to basic cable(channel 2-25) with SA3250 box, and HD pacakge. Current cost is now $30/month($15 for basic and $15 for HD box/HD basic package). I was told by cable company that I could not recieve extra HD package without the $70 digital package. But I still receive most of them(espn, universal, hdnet/movie, inhd). Does anyone know if this is illegal(should I be getting non-network HD channels without standard digital package?)
If ok, I need to complain because I'm not receiving the new ESPN 2 channel or old Discovery channel. If not, I'll keep my mouth and enjoy the HD I should not be receiving.

PS Time Warner website seems vague to me on pricing.
post #197 of 474 Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by a8vdeluxe View Post

I just downgraded my cable service to basic cable(channel 2-25) with SA3250 box, and HD pacakge. Current cost is now $30/month($15 for basic and $15 for HD box/HD basic package). I was told by cable company that I could not recieve extra HD package without the $70 digital package. But I still receive most of them(espn, universal, hdnet/movie, inhd). Does anyone know if this is illegal(should I be getting non-network HD channels without standard digital package?)
If ok, I need to complain because I'm not receiving the new ESPN 2 channel or old Discovery channel. If not, I'll keep my mouth and enjoy the HD I should not be receiving.

PS Time Warner website seems vague to me on pricing.

Where are you located (add your location to your profile please)?

The law regarding what they must carry on the basic tier only really only applies to the local (qualified) OTA stations. They MUST provide the main (HD) channel of any such local digital that they do carry on the basic tier, BUT there is nothing in the rules about how they handle (and charge for) the cable network channels (HD or not).

Dave Hancock
post #198 of 474 Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Has anybody tried it with Vista? Are the drivers and VLC going to work in Vista? ...I have a HTPC with a E6600 core2duo and 2GB of RAM, so I expect there's enough horsepower under that hood, but it's runnign XP-MCE right now so I'm wondering if better luck could be had if I dug up a copy of Vista...

-Brian

I'm recording on Vista with my DCT 6200 with the new TWC FW: 16.35 using CapDVHS "via" firewire. I'm using the firestb-vistarc1 drivers by Timmmoore and using VLC 0.8.4a anything above this build for some reason won't playback HD stuff when watching TV. SD is no prob with the latest build but as soon as I hit HBO HD or any other HD ch it freezes so back to 8.4.

Although TWC has crippled a lot of DVR's with their new FW in different county's I can at least say here in LA I can still record all my HD channels Discovery HD, HBO, @Max etc... Local stations record fine 2 through 13.

Regards,nimo/smurfer
post #199 of 474 Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 AM

Hey everyone, I have my played around with my SA 8300 DVR and I was able to get good, not great captures on my PC. Here is how I did it. Step-by-step. (I can't post links yet.)

I first followed the directions listed on AVS forum for recording by IEEE 1394. With one exception. I am using the Vista drivers. Vista drivers improved performance slightly. You can get the Vista drivers on Timmorre's sight. Google "firestb.msi" for the drivers. Note: Vista drivers are 32-bit only. Not a problem for most people since pre-installs are always 32-bit (though they should be 64-bit because the 32-bit Vista is crippled a little).

I used the latest version of VLC to capture. Although, I was successful in getting other programs to capture.

I turned caching values to 0 in the advanced DirectShow properties in the options for capture. The sound is jittery during playback, but that is not how it is capturing. I find caching values of 0 improve the video capture, decreasing errors. I also find that the video has less errors in Vista. And finally, I find 720p video to have less errors too.

Note, I still haven't obtained perfect capture. But if I keep tweaking and keep playing, I may yet. Hope this helps.

I currently have the latest firmware for my 8300. You know you have it if it can fast forward by 4x. My cable company is Suddenlink in North Carolina.

P.S. Can someone post the correct links?
post #200 of 474 Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Meteor...

I now have a dual boot system of xpPro sp2 AND OSX. It was a pain, but everythng is working flawlewssly... luckily my motherboard has a good following. I say flawlwessly... It was. The first night that i got everything to work( audio, lan, it was brilliant). Captured part of "Planet Earth" , and it played back ffine on the mac using AVCVideoCAP, and VLC. I made the mistake of letting it auto update (the OS) and that broke the installation. So i had to start over (re-install the OS, didnt do anything different). NOW, When i capture... SOMETIMES it shows packets coming in, others it does not, BUT NO MATTER WHAT, even if its a 100mb 1 minute file (.m2t), it will NOT play back on vlc. I tried transfering to a pc via shared drive, wont play there either. Any ideas? Thanks for opening this door... its an awesome setup using a mac on my pc.
post #201 of 474 Old 04-30-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_i_am_wade View Post

Hey everyone, I have my played around with my SA 8300 DVR and I was able to get good, not great captures on my PC. Here is how I did it. Step-by-step. (I can't post links yet.)

I first followed the directions listed on AVS forum for recording by IEEE 1394. With one exception. I am using the Vista drivers. Vista drivers improved performance slightly. You can get the Vista drivers on Timmorre's sight. Google "firestb.msi" for the drivers. Note: Vista drivers are 32-bit only. Not a problem for most people since pre-installs are always 32-bit (though they should be 64-bit because the 32-bit Vista is crippled a little).

I used the latest version of VLC to capture. Although, I was successful in getting other programs to capture.

I turned caching values to 0 in the advanced DirectShow properties in the options for capture. The sound is jittery during playback, but that is not how it is capturing. I find caching values of 0 improve the video capture, decreasing errors. I also find that the video has less errors in Vista. And finally, I find 720p video to have less errors too.

Note, I still haven't obtained perfect capture. But if I keep tweaking and keep playing, I may yet. Hope this helps.

I currently have the latest firmware for my 8300. You know you have it if it can fast forward by 4x. My cable company is Suddenlink in North Carolina.

Thanks for the status update on this... I've been watching this thread hoping that there is some sort of breakthrough on the whole capture from sa8300 issue. Wade, is the system you are using actually Vista or XP running Vista drivers?

On a side note, I actually called SA today to see if they can give any helpful advice and all the guy could say is that the hard drive file formats are proprietary, but if I were to google I might be able to find out some more information about it, good luck. I would love to have a "click and drag" functionality but I know I'm dreaming.
post #202 of 474 Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not only is the file format on the SA8300HD proprietary, the video files are encrypted, most likely with a key unique to that STB.

Even if someone did try and figure out the directory structure, they'd probably be in instant legal trouble courtesy of the MPAA, RIAA, etc etc.
post #203 of 474 Old 04-30-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

Not only is the file format on the SA8300HD proprietary, the video files are encrypted, most likely with a key unique to that STB.

Even if someone did try and figure out the directory structure, they'd probably be in instant legal trouble courtesy of the MPAA, RIAA, etc etc.

Legality smegality. Let's just get these boxes working again. I want my firewire back!
post #204 of 474 Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8vdeluxe View Post

Legality smegality. Let's just get these boxes working again. I want my firewire back!

From what I read you won't have the SA8300HD to kick around much longer. The next generation "SA9000" with CableCard are on the way.
post #205 of 474 Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From what I read you won't have the SA8300HD to kick around much longer. The next generation "SA9000" with CableCard are on the way.

Why would a cable company's cable box need a cable card?

Unless SA will market them like a TIVO alternative and sell directly?
post #206 of 474 Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbd90 View Post

Why would a cable company's cable box need a cable card?

I know it sounds goofy, but it's a new FCC requirement that goes into effect in a couple months, IIRC.
post #207 of 474 Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbd90 View Post

Why would a cable company's cable box need a cablecard?

Because of the FCC "Integration Ban" which goes into effect 7/1/07. Cable can no longer deploy new cable boxes that have built-in security functions. The ruling was made years ago, but delayed till now. It was intended to allow companies like TiVo to "play" on the cable network. The long-term objective is to have downloadable security (DCAS), but the short term "fix" is to use cable boxes with CableCards

Dave Hancock
post #208 of 474 Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SA9000 is still a way off. The Integration ban will be satisfied, in the short term, with the SA8300HDC and similar versions of existing products.

Dave Hancock
post #209 of 474 Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_i_am_wade View Post

Why cant you post links?
post #210 of 474 Old 05-03-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock99rock View Post

Why cant you post links?

You need to have 5 posts till you can post links (I suppose it is some anti-Spam measure).

Dave Hancock
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page