Recording to PC from a SA 8300HD via Firewire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 474 Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched the excellent thread bdraw started for installing Windows Drivers to record on your PC from a cable STB via Firewire for details on connecting up a Scientific Atlanta SA8300HD to your PC via Firewire.

I assure you that I am no newbie to this as the thread was originally written at my request on another site to summarize the 35 pages of postings of trials and errors that were here at the time where people were experimenting how to accomplish this task in an easy step by step method.

Several posts note they are not able to get a SA8300HD to work via the methods listed but other posters state the firewire was not active on the SA8300HD at the time these posts were made (last February).

I switched out one of my Firewire Equiped SA 3250HD as the newer SA8300HD models with active firewire arrived at my MSO. Though they are still clearing out the remaining old discontinued 8300HD models with no IEEE 1394 ports, the new ones clearly have them activated as required by law.

I have confirmed this by looking at the IEEE1394 driver located in the SA 8300HD Diagnostic Screens.

I have also confirmed the output to a DVHS via Firewire.

When I plug in the unit via firewire to a computer with Windows XP, I get the typical unidentified devices x2 and then 2 Tuner AV/C Devices. I can only assume there are 2 because the SA8300HD has 2 tuners in it and it is seeing both of them.

I installed the drivers we have all used for BOTH of the tuners. The Device Manager shows them under Imaging Devices and Windows seems happy with them.

Windows XP Clearly knows this is a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD.

But when you start CapVHS, it's the dreaded Cannot Find Capture Device.

I have fooled around with this for several hours, installing and reinstalling drivers over and over.

I have plugged the SA3250HD back in and I have seen that work. It captures off the same IEEE1394 cable and port - so I know the cable and the Computer side IEEE 1394 is not the issue.

As Windows knows this is a SA8300HD, its clear the connection is there and working - just finding the right device drivers seems to be the issue.

Has anyone had any success installing drivers that allow the SA8300HD to work with a PC in Windows XP?

I hate to go the Firebus route, but will if this is the only way.

If there is a thread about the 8300HD and this poblem, my apology - but as has been noted and documented in the appropriate forum to David, the search feature is missing many keyword posts since the avs forum software ws update 6 months ago. I cannot find a thread where this has been discussed in detail or a workaround has been found.

If one has, please have a moderator merge this post to that thread. I would also suggest they put a link in the 8300HD topics to that thread.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 474 Old 10-22-2005, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Part of the problem is that you are posting the same or similar questions in so many threads that it is hard to keep up.

My opinion is that this should be the thread to discuss this issue and the thread link should be added to the Master 8300 list. The few posts in the 8300 Tips & Tricks thread should be moved here and perhaps you would be so kind as to kind of keep a running summary in your first post. I will PM Mark and see if we can't get tha done. In the meantime I will post the suggestion in the Tips thread to move the discussion to this thread.

EDIT: Mark add this thread to the Master 8300 list, so hopefully folks will move any furher discussion here. I will also monitor this thread so that I can add any tips to the first post in the Tips & Tricks thread. Hopefully, this will work a little better than burying the info in that thread.

Cheers, Dave
post #3 of 474 Old 10-22-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I should add that part of your troubles could be because 1394 is not yet officially supported on the 8300 even though the post may be active. That may be why you can't find an appropriate/usable driver and why the 3250 driver doesn't work right either.

Cheers, Dave
post #4 of 474 Old 10-22-2005, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately there are 8300 threads all over the HDTV Hardware and Recorders threads - so I agree with you - it's hard to figure where to actually put the info without crossposting.

On a Side Note, the SA3250HD does work exactly as its suppose to with the drivers.

One would think the SA8300HD would do the same.
post #5 of 474 Old 10-22-2005, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Let me give everyone an update on this after much more experimentation.

One of my setups consists of a Sony KV-34XBR960 with full firewire and cablecard, an SA8300HD and a Mitsubishi 2000 DVHS.

I can see the 8300 and its output via firewire full screen on the Sony - so it is clearly sending an output - live and off the hard drive.

I can record to the DVHS via the SA3250HD. I have checked the Diagnostics page on the 3250HD and it seems the flags are set the same as they are on the SA8300HD.

However, when I try to record to the DVHS from the 8300HD, it goes for 30 seconds and then stops giving me a CP flashing LED (Copy Protection I would assume).

Even on the OTA Channels that are set to "free" for 5c this happens.

Again, all OTA Channels and Premium Encrypted Channels with 5c work recorded from the SA3250, but fail with CP from the SA8300HD.

I have even tried to move a program from the 8300 to the DVHS as it allows you to do from the menu - but of course it fails there as well - and the 8300HD Menu only seems to want you to move the program to a SVHS recorder????? When the specs should allow you to move it off to the DVHS and wipe it from the SA8300 Hard Drive at the same time with a copy never flag on the DVHS copy of that point.

Has anyone gotten the SA8300HD to work with a DVHS recorder yet?

If you want to save a program more than just a typical time shift, this is the only way to do it and it doesn't seem to be working.
post #6 of 474 Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

This is a good summary of the problems I am having witht he 8300HD and firewire recording. I've got Passport 1.8.112. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by KermitZ
It took a while for me to get through this string, but I didn't see anything related to the problem I am having, so I hope someone out there can help.
I recently got the 8300HD from Time Warner and love it, so much so that I am now at a point that I have to erase programs to be able to save a new one. I can't use the external drive option mentioned in another string since this is a Passport box, so I wanted to offload the programs to my PC using the process provided here. I have the drivers loaded, start playing a non-5C program, and start recording. Generally, the CapDVHS program will close almost as soon as it is started, but once I was able to capture about 2 minutes of video. I converted it to DVD format, played in on my software player, and it looked great....both minutes.
Now I really want to make this work. One thing that is consistent is that my 8300HD will reboot within 2 minutes of starting the CapDVHS program (even if the program closes immediately)happens every time. I've tried different 1394 cables; I have tried the driver recommended in this string, as well as the Timmmore drivers....same results.
I am running XP Professional SP2 (I tried the patch that was mentioned for SP2, didn't help) with NTFS file system to a 250 GB HD (fresh format), P4 3400 processor, 2 GB ram. I even tried a complete format and reinstall of the operating system and software, but I still have the same issues.
Has anyone been able to get this to work with the 8300HD?
post #7 of 474 Old 11-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

On another note I remember reading that aporter had firewire recording working to a computer using 1.8.111. Anyone out there have any success?
post #8 of 474 Old 11-24-2005, 09:06 AM

I am fairly new to this but I have been going thru the same things most of you have with the sa8300. Using capdvhs it works for a few seconds then crashes then the sa8300 reboots. I've gone so far as to buy a media center pc and I've had a little sucess recording non 5c channels but after I stop recording the sa8300 will reboot. Now I've only tried this with shows I've already recorded and not with live tv and I should mention I have passport on my sa8300 as well. I'm almost convinced it's a problem with the sa8300, but again I'm no expert.
post #9 of 474 Old 11-26-2005, 05:43 AM

I am definitely shooting from the hip here, as I don't own the SA8300HD. However, these problems seem very similar to the PC recordings problems I have had with CAPDVHS and a 169Time Dish 6000/AVX1 satellite receiver. If you can successfully transfer valid .ts files from DVHS to PC but not SA8300HD to PC then this would indicate that you have the same XP SP2 firewire problems that have plagued other systems. You could further confirm this by installing DVHSTool and trying the Restore function: if files show zero bytes when connected to the 8300HD but build normally when connected to your DVHS, then the firewire handshake just isn't occurring properly. This is likely not a fault with the cable box, but rather a fault in the Windows XP SP2 upgrade which inhibits correct handling of some but not all firewire devices. One suggested fix for this known problem has been a patch (available on several different websites) which rolls back the IEEE1394 drivers to the SP1 configuration. However, this failed to remedy the problem in four different computers that I've worked with.

Not until I removed XP SP2 entirely and re-installed XP with SP1 only could I restore full functionality of CAPDVHS and DVHSTool

This may seem like a drastic cure, but if you have the time, software, and willingness, I would strongly suggest this troubleshooting step. Both CAPDVHS and DVHSTOOL freeware programs were written before SP2, so future compatibility is definitely not assured.

Again this is just a wild suggestion since I use satellite, not cable, but it has solved the problems for me on four different computers.

Bob
post #10 of 474 Old 11-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Tried rolling back the 1394 drivers with no luck -- same thing happens. I did not go as far as doing a full reinstall. I am still recording on the 3250HD via firewire with no problems.
post #11 of 474 Old 11-29-2005, 02:04 PM

I tried recording a file to my computer about a month ago just to see if I could. I recorded about 5 minutes and had no problem(SA8300). It played back fine. Also I have no problem going directly to DVHS. I have the SARA version and also am using an external HD. I have no need to record directly to the computer and I was just curious if I could. I think the problem is with the service provider not the box.
post #12 of 474 Old 11-29-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

I tried recording a file to my computer about a month ago just to see if I could. I recorded about 5 minutes and had no problem(SA8300). It played back fine. Also I have no problem going directly to DVHS. I have the SARA version and also am using an external HD. I have no need to record directly to the computer and I was just curious if I could. I think the problem is with the service provider not the box.

Can you list the driver versions you have in your SA8300 Randall? It would be appreciated as a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabob View Post

I am definitely shooting from the hip here, as I don't own the SA8300HD. However, these problems seem very similar to the PC recordings problems I have had with CAPDVHS and a 169Time Dish 6000/AVX1 satellite receiver. If you can successfully transfer valid .ts files from DVHS to PC but not SA8300HD to PC then this would indicate that you have the same XP SP2 firewire problems that have plagued other systems. You could further confirm this by installing DVHSTool and trying the Restore function: if files show zero bytes when connected to the 8300HD but build normally when connected to your DVHS, then the firewire handshake just isn't occurring properly. This is likely not a fault with the cable box, but rather a fault in the Windows XP SP2 upgrade which inhibits correct handling of some but not all firewire devices. One suggested fix for this known problem has been a patch (available on several different websites) which rolls back the IEEE1394 drivers to the SP1 configuration. However, this failed to remedy the problem in four different computers that I've worked with.

Not until I removed XP SP2 entirely and re-installed XP with SP1 only could I restore full functionality of CAPDVHS and DVHSTool

This may seem like a drastic cure, but if you have the time, software, and willingness, I would strongly suggest this troubleshooting step. Both CAPDVHS and DVHSTOOL freeware programs were written before SP2, so future compatibility is definitely not assured.

Again this is just a wild suggestion since I use satellite, not cable, but it has solved the problems for me on four different computers.

Bob

Thanks for the suggestion. It might work for some others, but in my case, the firewire driver isn't the cause of the issue as I can record from a SA3250HD with no problem - while the SA8300 clearly has an issue using the same path.
post #13 of 474 Old 11-30-2005, 12:02 AM

SARA 1.87.23.1

I don't know if this will help but I have built a new computer using an AMD DFI Lanparty board and I tried for a bit tonight to set it up for recording. I was having trouble with the VIA OCHI ieee 1394 interface. I could not get it to recognize the 8300. I have no problem on my Intel motherboard. On the AMD I get the other devices errors like in your first post. I think this is a BIOS problem. Since I don't normally record to the hard drive this is not a big problem for me. I would like to try my other firewire inputs on back of the motherboard but I don't have a 6pin to 6pin cable. I may try a different motherboard BIOS later and see if it makes any difference.
post #14 of 474 Old 11-30-2005, 01:07 AM

I just tried recording to the Intel computer that I recorded to about a month ago without problems. I'm getting the same thing you are. It is recognizing 2 turner. I also have the same other devices not working in device manager. It indicates some kind of ieee 1394 problem. I would guess this is probably due to a recent XP upgrade or maybe something has changed in the firmware of the 8300. I haven't tried recording to DVHS in a week or two because I usually just got through the firewire on my Sharp which is more stable when I make recordings. I will try to record a DVHS tape later and see if it is still working.
post #15 of 474 Old 11-30-2005, 08:46 AM

I just made a couple of test recordings to DVHS over firewire from the 8300. First recording about 10 minutes from HDNet recorded perfectly. Second recording was from 8300 prerecorded program. This was Twilight Zone from last night on INHD, it is playing back now and haven't seen any problem in about 15 minutes of playback.

Although I don't have any use for recording straight to the computer, it bothers me now that I can't do it, especially since I was able to do it before. I may fool around with it some more to see if I can get it to work. I'm not going to reinstall my OS to make it work but I may try a different chipset BIOS on my DFI board.
post #16 of 474 Old 12-03-2005, 12:46 AM

I played around with this some more on the 8300 tonight without much success. I used the Intel 3.4 Pentium computer as I have too many conflicts with the DFI Athlon.

I was able to get the Panasonic DVHS AVC device loaded. It loaded two of these, I assume because of the dual tuners. You want to make sure you don't load the tuner, it has to say DVHS. I was able to do this on both my computers.

When I would start to record from the 8300, after some time I would get a warning that CapDVHS had encountered an error and would have to be shut down. It would record a partial file sometimes but would not play. Also it kept locking up my 8300. I would have to unplug it and let it reboot to get it working again.

On my Sharp Aquos firewire w/cablecard everything recorded perfectly without problems except for Fox and PBS. It would not recognize these two channels at all. I now wonder if I can record these channels directly to DVHS without problem. I will try later. All the other HD channels I tried recorded flawlessly from the Sharp.
I know I recorded a PBS special a couple of weeks ago to DVHS and it worked ok.

I feel that we don't have much longer before we will not be able to record HD at all. I hope I'm wrong.
post #17 of 474 Old 12-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Judging by the comments in the 1394/firewire recording thread, recording to DVHS from the 8300HD w/ passport is not functioning on any available Passport 1.8.XXX version. At this point, I would have to wager that the problems are on the firmware end rather than on the drivers/bios/computer end.

I think the only thing we can do is wait for a functioning version of Passport.
post #18 of 474 Old 01-05-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:

I have confirmed this by looking at the IEEE1394 driver located in the SA 8300HD Diagnostic Screens.

Last weekend I picked up a new 8300HD with 1394 ports but have not been successful at getting Windows XP SP2 to recognize them (so most of you guys are getting a lot further along than I am). A while back I reverted to the SP1 1394 drivers and have no trouble recognizing other firewire devices (such as my Sony HDR-FX1 camcorder and Canopus AV to DV converter) on my computer. I have even used CapDVHS with the camcorder to capture HD transport streams.

Although various CSRs at Time Warner in Houston claim that my 1394 ports SHOULD be active, they cannot tell me of any way to know for sure. When you view your diagnostic screens, what is the 1394 driver called, and are you seeing it listed on the "Component Information" screen (that's what it's called under SARA 1.87.16.104)? I also have a "Copy Protection" screen, and I notice that all the entries for 1394 are listed as disabled, but I'm not sure whether that means that the 1394 ports themselves are disabled.

Thanks in advance for any light you (or other members) can shed on this.
post #19 of 474 Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

I did hear back from the people working on the issue here with SA.

It has been elevated at SA again - whether SA is blowing smoke or not, who knows.

SA originally told the cable companies obviously the Mitsubishi DVHS wasn't compliant. I told them to respond that there are really only Mitsubishi and JVC DVHS units and I have both.

If neither work, show us one that does and that their STBs are compliant.

The local people agree with me and are pressing this.

Atleast I recording Scarface right now from the 3250HD.

It's ridiculous you have to have a cable card, a 8300 and a 3250HD just to get everything to work the way you want it to and look the best it can.
post #20 of 474 Old 01-18-2006, 09:32 AM

I too am having the same problems. Who do I bug to fix this? Anyone successful?
post #21 of 474 Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Supposedly firewire (IEEE 1394) should work on passport 2.X.XXX. According to reports on this forum, only select people in San Diego have this newer, perhaps beta, version of passport. Someone reported that firewire was working with that beta version.

Good luck getting TWC to act on this. Firewire is apparently not a priority. We probably would not have firewire on our boxes if it wasn't for the federal regulation. Probably the only thing that would get TWC's attention is a lawsuit.
post #22 of 474 Old 01-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Just to clarify since my name was mentioned earlier in this thread, I did have the firwire port working on a SA8300HD box through a program built to use with Media Center. This worked for awhile and then all of sudden stopped. I haven't played around with it much since I also have a Fusion Lite card to capture HD off local tv straight to PC.
post #23 of 474 Old 01-27-2006, 08:04 PM
PNC

I have just received an upgraded SA 8300HD (Pioneer s/w) with active firewire, and have been trying to get the PC to be able to view or record MPEG2 streams from the 8300HD digital tuners. I have accessed the 8300HD diganostics pages (channel 611) and confirmed the firewire is active. I have read the various posts in this forum and have installed various drivers as recommended in this forum. The PC sees the 2 SA tuners but I have not managed to get VLC or CapDVHS to do anything other than produce blue screens on the PC and DVR reboots.
Has anyone managed to get a reliable setup with 8300HD and WXP SP2?
What drivers did they use? And if Pioneer s/w, what version?
Thanks !
PS I've since installed a Microsoft Hotfix for firewire with SP2. So far, and it was a failrly short duration experiment, I have no blue screens and no DVR reboots. I will now go back and uninstall and then reinstall (Panasonic DVHS .... drivers?) firewire drivers and check what happens when attempting to run VLC again
post #24 of 474 Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 AM

I need to try this. I recently got an upgraded 8300 with firewire and SARA 1.87.23.1.

Anyone else get any further with it?
post #25 of 474 Old 02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw View Post

I need to try this. I recently got an upgraded 8300 with firewire and SARA 1.87.23.1.

I haven't tried with a PC but I can record live HD with the above box to D-VHS. I have NOT been able to record a saved program from the SA's hard drive.
post #26 of 474 Old 02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
PNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw View Post

Since my 1/27/06 post I downloaded and installed drivers from the Green Button forum - firewire.zip This is specifically intended to handle the SA8300HD, which I have.

I have the original MCE s/w on my PC with a single ATI analog tuner/capture card. My plan was to initially use the firewire.zip drivers and Cmd application to change channel and try VLC and CapDVHS to view and capture content from DVR. When I use Cmd and do a "channel -v" it shows one Panel device and one Tuner for the SA 8300HD. I am able to change channels (the tuner that is viewed via HDCP on TV). But attempts to use VLC and CapDVHS result in blue screen of death on the PC and the DVR rebooting.
post #27 of 474 Old 02-02-2006, 06:11 PM
PNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

I haven't tried with a PC but I can record live HD with the above box to D-VHS. I have NOT been able to record a saved program from the SA's hard drive.

I know of D-VHS, but do not know any specifics. Wih the D-VHS does it "see" the two tuners of the SA8300HD, or do you see one "current" tuner, whose live TV output is feeding the HDCP?. You can see from my previous 2/2/06 post that I have made some progress with the PC/SA8300HD interface, but am still not able to view or record anything on the PC
post #28 of 474 Old 02-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

I am interested in D-VHS or transfer to PC as a way to archive programs that I have saved to DVR. The second part of the quote has me wondering if this is feasible.

Out of curiosity, has anybody tried the "Copy to VCR" feature. Probably too much to ask that this would direct the DVR stream to the 1394 port in addition to the analog AV outs, but I have not seen this mentioned in any threads I've read on the subject.
post #29 of 474 Old 02-04-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Rememeber, most cable companies use 5C copy protection, which means no PC will work. Only D-VHS.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #30 of 474 Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

It's ridiculous you have to have a cable card, a 8300 and a 3250HD just to get everything to work the way you want it to and look the best it can.

Having just suffered through the whole range of misinformation and ignorance from TWC's CSRs, Techs, and Installers in regards to IEEE1394, I finally perservered and have ended up with the exact same setup you have. But I wholeheartedly agree that it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that TWC, because of its ineptitude (IMHO) forces us into this situation.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page