post #6211 of 6229 Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

I'm sure there is a clever/greedy/money-grubbing angle in their favor somewhere in the marketing mix with regards to not letting us use our own external HDDs.

There has to be, otherwise the ports would be activated for external HDDs.

Like if you had the ability to utilize virtually unlimited storage space through just buying new large capcity external hard drives and were able to build up a huge library of material, then why would you need to buy pre-packaged movies/content nor use their $$$ on-demand service? No neither the content owners, nor cable companies would want to prevent you from having these choices.

Remember: artificial scarcity keeps prices high.

Why do you think the studios and cable providers fear to death all of the new channels avaliable to consumers for obtaining content? Their house of cards starts to cave in on itself. Competition is a very bad thing for these guys and they want nothing to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6229 Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

No neither the content owners, nor cable companies would want to prevent you from having these choices.

Didn't you really mean to say .... "No neither the content owners, nor the cable companies would want you have these choices."

Otherwise your double-negative sentance yields a positive that implies they (the content onwers, etc) want you to have external HDDs.
post #6213 of 6229 Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

Didn't you really mean to say .... "No neither the content owners, nor the cable companies would want you have these choices."

Otherwise your double-negative sentance yields a positive that implies they (the content onwers, etc) want you to have external HDDs.

Ha! Grammar aside, I agree that neither the cable company or the content owners would want people to have unlimited DVR storage. If we could store everything we wanted to watch, we'd have little reason to spend money on On-Demand/Pay-Per-View. And content owners would have fewer opportunities to sell us DVD's, BD's, iTunes/Amazon downloads, etc.

Plus: The cable company doesn't want to become tech support to the people that buy the crappiest slowest external hard drive and expect it to work (and you know that would happen a lot).
post #6214 of 6229 Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovox View Post

Given how quickly technology advances, it is shocking to me that they can get away with not upgrading these boxes on a more regular basis. There are advances (some incremental, some signicifant) to most electronic media devices annually or quicker, but we are stuck with cable boxes and technology that is years behind. Yes, some of the technology upgrades are made via their system (the guide userface, etc), but the box related issues are not. Specifically, storage capacity is a major problem now with regular HD viewing and 160gb just doesn't cut it. The fact that in 2011, we are still subject to the whims of the cable guy and what box happens to be in his truck is a joke.

Sorry for the rant, but I have not been able to upgrade my 4 year old box with comcast and although this Motorola box has an SATA port to add an external drive, comcast for some reason makes this inoperable.

I could get a TIVO box with higher recording capacity and cablecard, but would lose the Comcast DVR service. Supposedly Comcast has agreed to allow its DVR service on the TIVO but I have not seen this rolled out anywhere yet.

As for a new box, go to your local office and ask "when do they get the new boxes in" and show up that day. Worked for me!

Tivo cardio is coming out, so I wouldn't waste my time with a comcast-tivo box. 500gig HD. Google it and take a look.
post #6215 of 6229 Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Like if you had the ability to utilize virtually unlimited storage space through just buying new large capcity external hard drives and were able to build up a huge library of material, then why would you need to buy pre-packaged movies/content nor use their $$$ on-demand service? No neither the content owners, nor cable companies would want to prevent you from having these choices.

Why do you think the studios and cable providers fear to death all of the new channels avaliable to consumers for obtaining content? Their house of cards starts to cave in on itself. Competition is a very bad thing for these guys and they want nothing to do with it.

Clearly this is their motivation, but they could limit access say to one approved external hard drive that would need to be registered, etc. Alternatively, they could release newer boxes with larger internal hard drives. This is not a question about archiving libraries of content, its being able to effectively utilize the DVR service they charge us a premium for on a monthly basis. The current comcast boxes are way behind the times as far as recording capacity and their service in this area is ridiculous.
post #6216 of 6229 Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure 1TB or even 2TB boxes from service providers will be the norm within a year or two (I have a 500GB now from Comcast) ..... Anyway, I need to lose 20 pounds, so it's time for me to delete a couple of saved series to make more room (I can always get them On-Demand later or even on DVD) and then go hit the gym instead.
post #6217 of 6229 Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Does anyone have a link for the 1TB Motorola DCT3412 image? The date for the sendspace host has passed.

Thanks!!
post #6218 of 6229 Old 08-25-2011, 05:56 AM

Can someone tell me the correct Part # for the 500 GB Comcast DVR? Thanks!
post #6219 of 6229 Old 08-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaug View Post

Can someone tell me the correct Part # for the 500 GB Comcast DVR? Thanks!

Answered my own question: Picked up a new DVR at my Comcast Store in Washington, PA. I asked for the latest 500GB unit and they provided a RNG200N (on the front of the box) but on the sticker on the under side it is listed as a DCX 3501.
post #6220 of 6229 Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Answered my own question: Picked up a new DVR at my Comcast Store in Washington, PA. I asked for the latest 500GB unit and they provided a RNG200N (on the front of the box) but on the sticker on the under side it is listed as a DCX 3501.

That doesn't sound right. I thought the RNG's were from Pace.
post #6221 of 6229 Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

That doesn't sound right. I thought the RNG's were from Pace.

It is clearly a Motorola and marked RNG200N on the front.
post #6222 of 6229 Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is clearly a Motorola and marked RNG200N on the front.

That must be a mistake...maybe the cover lid of a Motorola DCX-3501 happens to fit the RNG200N's (your cable company may have services that unit and stuck the wrong lid on it). Pace/Cisco makes the RNG200N, not Motorola.
post #6223 of 6229 Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

That must be a mistake...maybe the cover lid of a Motorola DCX-3501 happens to fit the RNG200N's (your cable company may have services that unit and stuck the wrong lid on it). Pace/Cisco makes the RNG200N, not Motorola.

I've moved this discussion to the DCX thread, but as I mentioned there Motorola is embossed in the cover of the box and the tag on the bottom says Motorola DCX3501? These just arrived at my local Comcast office. They are new units, not reconditioned units.

I looked at both the Pace and Cisco units online and the face of this unit looks nothing like either of them.
post #6224 of 6229 Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
slb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I've moved this discussion to the DCX thread, but as I mentioned there Motorola is embossed in the cover of the box and the tag on the bottom says Motorola DCX3501? These just arrived at my local Comcast office. They are new units, not reconditioned units.

I looked at both the Pace and Cisco units online and the face of this unit looks nothing like either of them.

pwaug,
I can confirm the Motorola RNG200N. I swapped out our DTC3416 last weekend for a higher capacity DVR, and was given "their newest model", which has a front panel clearly labeled Motorola with model number RNG200N.
post #6225 of 6229 Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question about my 3416. My son likes a cartoon named Gumball. I set up a series recording of only new episodes. I've checked it and rechecked it so it's definately not set up to record repeats. But it records repeats. So at any time I'll have at least 5 or 6 episodes. I know I can limit the total # of shows it records but then it might miss the new ones. I know it's probably a long shot but does anyone else here record this show and/or have a similar issue?
post #6226 of 6229 Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

Question about my 3416. My son likes a cartoon named Gumball. I set up a series recording of only new episodes. I've checked it and rechecked it so it's definately not set up to record repeats. But it records repeats. So at any time I'll have at least 5 or 6 episodes. I know I can limit the total # of shows it records but then it might miss the new ones. I know it's probably a long shot but does anyone else here record this show and/or have a similar issue?

I don't know that show, but I suspect what's happening is that the programming guide doesn't distinguish between new and repeated episodes. I suspect that the description of each episode in the guide is the same, a generic description of the program. In that case, the DVR doesn't know which episodes are new and which are repeats, and therefore it assumes they're all new and records them all. In that case, there's not much you can do about the problem. If you know for a fact that new episodes premiere on a certain day at a certain time, you can go into your upcoming recordings and manually delete the other ones. But that does take time and foresight. Alternately, you can set up a manual series recording for that particular day and time. That way, only those episodes would be recorded. However, if the network changes the airing day or time, you'd have to set up a new manual recording.
post #6227 of 6229 Old 09-12-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

Happens to me ALL the time and that's why I hate this box so much but love my HDTivo's. The Comcast box (in our bedroom) continues to record EVERY episode of Biography even though I have it set to 'new' only (happens with Are Your Smarter than a 5th Grader too). Frustrating especially since the hard drive is so tiny it can't hold a lot to begin with so I constantly have to manually 'do not record' shows each week. And what about the 'bug' in the software? The bug I'm referring to is if you have two shows set to record at the same time you can't cancel both recordings! Only one. If you 'cancel' one it automatically resets the other show to record. Another frustrating issue....

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #6228 of 6229 Old 09-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I don't know that show, but I suspect what's happening is that the programming guide doesn't distinguish between new and repeated episodes. I suspect that the description of each episode in the guide is the same, a generic description of the program. In that case, the DVR doesn't know which episodes are new and which are repeats, and therefore it assumes they're all new and records them all. In that case, there's not much you can do about the problem. If you know for a fact that new episodes premiere on a certain day at a certain time, you can go into your upcoming recordings and manually delete the other ones. But that does take time and foresight. Alternately, you can set up a manual series recording for that particular day and time. That way, only those episodes would be recorded. However, if the network changes the airing day or time, you'd have to set up a new manual recording.

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more detailed in my original description. The shows are always differently titled. For example one was called "The Prank" and had a description matching the title. This is just one that sticks out in my head but they all are individually titled.

I have considered the manual recording so that may be what I end up doing.
post #6229 of 6229 Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Call your cable company and complain. It's not the DVR's fault. It's a problem with the guide data that your cable company purchases from a third-party. I've had problems with it recently where repeat episodes of The Daily Show were flagged as new.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page