Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 6229 Old 12-08-2005, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkreef View Post

Just got my 3412 today. My 6412 was rebooting randomly and powering off during DVR fast forward/rewind.

My wife's first comment was "you better call the ISF tech out again". The cable guy unplugged my DVI -> HDMI cable to the TV and switched to component (an input that was not ISF calibrated and still set to the TV defaults).

At first I thought we had gotten an older box (lower number, no front inputs, slots, etc), but it looks like the 3412 is the new box and a good thing, right?

When I first looked in the back, I saw no DVI output and called them to schedule another appt. for a new box (didn't notice the little HDMI output).

Yep that should be the new box. It also says 3412 on the front of the box as well. I just got mine yesterday after returning possibly a defective one. Here are my impressions. After plugging everything in and turning on the tv the lower channels still came in crappy. So I went to the menu features on the box and set the 4:3 output to 480I and all is well. I am not sure that this is what I was suppose to do but the picture sure as heck looks better. By the way my set was previously ISF calibrated back in May. I don't think that my settings would change simply because I switched boxes. The settings are stored on the tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6229 Old 12-08-2005, 06:44 PM

Switched my 3412 back to HDMI and the calibrated PQ is back and looks great.

No difference on SD. Started watching some HD and there are "light" horizontal lines occurring randomly in the picture. Sometimes bad, sometimes you can't see them. I can't see any pattern to them. They appear on all HD channels, but no SD channels.

Never had this problem with the 6412. It is a new HDMI cable (previously used DVI cable with the 6412), but I used this cable with my HDMI DVD player and didn't have a problem with it.

Ugh. This sucks. Very noticible and annoying. HD was perfect before with the 6412 box. I suppose I can try another HDMI cable, but it must be the box (or HDMI output)?

Any ideas? I have not changed any STB settings, it is in the default configuration (assuming it was a new box -- I wasn't home when it was installed).

This is Comcast in Boston-area, Massachusetts.
post #183 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwayne View Post

Please share how to extend recording times for all DVR recordings. I apologize if I missed this in prior posts, but I was not getting any responsive hits to my search. Thanks.

This is not truly a problem with the DVR but a problem with your Head End time sync. You can add additional time to the begining or end of a show and you do this through one of the choices when scheduling the show. But if you do this it causes known problems with overlapping recordings. Generally it is not a good thing to do with the DVR as the software now stands.

Call Comcast and ask them to re-sync the time with a national time service. They finally did that in NJ over a year ago after Mark Jerena and others called and there has not been a significant problem since then. For some reason Comcast does not understand that this must be done automatically and often to keep the system in sync with the start of shows.

On top of this ther are several shows which are started a few moments early or late on purpose. I think Lost is one of them. ABC has been the biggest jerk on this issue. Really screws up the recordings, but I guess that is their reason.

We have met the enemy and he is us! - POGO
post #184 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 07:28 AM

I just got a 3412 and I'm having trouble using the transport functions. One problem is triggered by use of PAUSE. After pausing the picture (on both live and recorded shows), the box will not respond to any further commands other than play--slow motion, ff, rewind. Play will work after several seconds of delay. Also, the rewind function moves at the same slow speed regardless of how many times I push rewind.

This is not the problem were the box freezes up in receiving IR instructions. The graphics indicate that the box has received the instruction and is performing the function, but the picture is frozen.

Any suggestions before I call Comcast? Thanks.
post #185 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miimura View Post

I just did a quick survey of HDTVs.

* Every current model Sony Integrated HDTV (with ATSC tuner) (except 70" Grand Wega XBR which is an old model) has a CableCARD slot.
* Every current Mitsubishi Integrated Set is Digital Cable Ready (with CableCARD slot). Mitsubishi has also had unencrypted QAM tuning since their first ATSC integrated TV.
* Every current Samsung DLP HDTV is Digital Cable Ready and 6 of 9 Samsung Plasmas are DCR. 3 of 5 Samsung LCD TVs with ATSC are DCR.

So, Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD is now in the majority of integrated HDTVs.

I've never heard of free CableCARDs from Comcast. I've heard of $5 to $10 per month. I might pay $5 but $10 is ridiculous. I've never asked for one from my local franchise because I haven't had their service since CableCARD came out and I don't have a new set. However, the office is just down the street from my house so I'm inclined to go ask.

Back to the topic of "free boxes" and STB fees. The only reason I tolerate the $5/mo reciever fee from D* is that their basic monthly is low enough that it's still cheaper than cable. I hated the STBs from Comcast. Mostly because of the terrible IR receiver on the DCT2000 that missed Tivo channel changes. Obviously a 3412 would not have that kind of problem, but I won't go back to Comcast until and unless they have Tivo software on their boxes and the total monthly costs (including STB & DVR fees) are competitive with DirecTV. I currently have 2 SD-DirecTivos and record HD OTA on my HTPC.

- Mike

I have a cable card in my plasma and comcast. After 3 calls, prior to getting the set and cable card -- I got them to say that there would ONLY be an install charge for the cable card, but no additional monthly fee (not even for an additional outlet -- as this is my 2nd HDTV, I also have a 6412 box on another set).

Of course, the first bill after the cable card was $36.00 higher than my normal bill. Took 2 calls, but they finally credited me -- and they didn't even charge an install charge.

So I'm back to the same monthly bill as before, but now I have a cable card (pulling in the entire digital plus tier of channels).

If you talk to 5 comcast reps, you generally get 5 answers as to cable card billing -- they are really bad about this.
post #186 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

This is exactly what I've incurred with Comcast. I have the 6412 in my den at $9.95/month. I got a LCD with CC for my bedroom. I was told there would be no additional charge. THEN I got the bill, CC...no charge, A/O $8.90/month. How can they do this with a straight face? I'll just use the QAM.

Call and complain. I got them to wipe OUT ALL charges for cable card on a 2nd TV.

I have a 6412 on another set.

My monthly bills (for now) haven't changed. We'll see if they try and charge me more again next month.

I told them before I got the cable card that the rep told me there would be only a one-time install charge, but no changes at all to my monthly bill otherwise.

I'm forcing them to stick to that.
post #187 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abogarth View Post

I just got a 3412 and I'm having trouble using the transport functions. One problem is triggered by use of PAUSE. After pausing the picture (on both live and recorded shows), the box will not respond to any further commands other than play--slow motion, ff, rewind. Play will work after several seconds of delay. Also, the rewind function moves at the same slow speed regardless of how many times I push rewind...

Working as designed. If you pause first the transports work in slow motion mode. If you want to FF or REW then just do that without pausing first.
post #188 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 08:19 AM

Perhaps I was not clear: I want the transport to work in slow motion. It does not work at all. The picture remains frozen until I hit play again.
post #189 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abogarth View Post

Perhaps I was not clear: I want the transport to work in slow motion. It does not work at all. The picture remains frozen until I hit play again.

it does, but like accessing the Diagnostic and User settings menu, you have to start hitting the frame by frame button as soon as you pause it. after about 2 sec. it will not work. Same if you stop moving frame by frame it will also stop till you hit play again.

the 3412 DVR functions are very quirky.....

bring on the Comcast Tivo DVR.......

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #190 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Blakeslee View Post

This is not truly a problem with the DVR but a problem with your Head End time sync. You can add additional time to the begining or end of a show and you do this through one of the choices when scheduling the show. But if you do this it causes known problems with overlapping recordings. Generally it is not a good thing to do with the DVR as the software now stands.

Call Comcast and ask them to re-sync the time with a national time service. They finally did that in NJ over a year ago after Mark Jerena and others called and there has not been a significant problem since then. For some reason Comcast does not understand that this must be done automatically and often to keep the system in sync with the start of shows.

On top of this ther are several shows which are started a few moments early or late on purpose. I think Lost is one of them. ABC has been the biggest jerk on this issue. Really screws up the recordings, but I guess that is their reason.

All PA & NJ & MD & DE Comcast areas have the headend time done by atomic clock.

As your area goes ADS, this problem should be corrected.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #191 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 02:47 PM

Thanks Scanpa, but this is beyond quirky. Now the pause function does not work either, and when I try to use it, the sound drops out. The tracker shows the pause symbol, but the picture just keeps rolling along with no sound. I'm going to try a reset.
post #192 of 6229 Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Well, after the reset it seems to be working as scanpa describes. Very irritating, but at least I know there's no point in asking for another box. Is there any indication of when the Comcast TiVo DVR will roll out? Will that be only a software change or will it require new hardware?
post #193 of 6229 Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Hello everybody. I'm new here and I'd like to ask you guys a few questions about comcast and their boxes. I used to have a 6412 HD DVR box for 6 months and it worked without any problems until the hard drive died and I got the box switched for a 3412. Now with the 3412 everytime I FF or RR my recorded shows there is a delay between my button presses and the action happening on screen. Sometimes it will get stuck on FF or RR. Does this happen on all boxes, or is mine defective? I called comcast and they told me "They all do that. It's just how it is.". My old 6412 was very responsive to my button presses and never got stuck. Secondly, it appears to me that my HD channels do not look as good as on the 6412. It tough to describe, but they just appear "softer" and not quite as sharp and crisp. On my old 6412 I was using a DVI cable. Since this new 3412 does not have DVI , I bought a DVI to HDMI adapter for my DVI cable and I now use that. I also tried to hook it up with component cables, and the HD channels still looked soft. Is the lack of true DVI the cause of this? Has anyone else noticed this when going from 6412 to 3412?? I also wanted to know if anyone knew when the TIVO/COMCAST thing is supposed to roll out? Thanks a lot!
post #194 of 6229 Old 12-10-2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraziehase View Post

...Is the lack of true DVI the cause of this?...

Don't know about the other stuff, but HDMI is a superset of DVI - e.g. it contains the DVI-style video signalling plus digital audio, so that's not your problem.
post #195 of 6229 Old 12-10-2005, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello everybody. I'm new here and I'd like to ask you guys a few questions about comcast and their boxes. I used to have a 6412 HD DVR box for 6 months and it worked without any problems until the hard drive died and I got the box switched for a 3412. Now with the 3412 everytime I FF or RR my recorded shows there is a delay between my button presses and the action happening on screen. Sometimes it will get stuck on FF or RR. Does this happen on all boxes, or is mine defective? I called comcast and they told me "They all do that. It's just how it is.". My old 6412 was very responsive to my button presses and never got stuck. Secondly, it appears to me that my HD channels do not look as good as on the 6412. It tough to describe, but they just appear "softer" and not quite as sharp and crisp. On my old 6412 I was using a DVI cable. Since this new 3412 does not have DVI , I bought a DVI to HDMI adapter for my DVI cable and I now use that. I also tried to hook it up with component cables, and the HD channels still looked soft. Is the lack of true DVI the cause of this? Has anyone else noticed this when going from 6412 to 3412?? I also wanted to know if anyone knew when the TIVO/COMCAST thing is supposed to roll out? Thanks a lot!

When I got my 3412 it worked great! but after 3 days, it started to act up. the FF/RW has been reported more then once. The PQ is soft as you describe compatred to the 64xx..

July 2006 area on the Comcast/Tivo DVR....

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #196 of 6229 Old 12-10-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:

it appears to me that my HD channels do not look as good as on the 6412. It tough to describe, but they just appear "softer" and not quite as sharp and crisp.

I agree. It's hard to put a finger on it, but the HD pictures seem to have more motion-related artifacts and they just look thinner. FWIW, I am also using an HDMI/DVI converter.
post #197 of 6229 Old 12-12-2005, 02:02 PM

We signed up for the comcast dvr service and the tech came out this weekend to set it up and I now have a 3412. So far everything looks ok, although I have not had any time to really look at it much. Should I have gotten a manual somewhere? All they gave me was a book for the 6412 on how to record.
post #198 of 6229 Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 PM

I called comcast back and insisted I get a new box. They are coming this Friday to change it out. Ill let you guys know if anything gets any better
post #199 of 6229 Old 12-12-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I called comcast back and insisted I get a new box. They are coming this Friday to change it out. Ill let you guys know if anything gets any better

I just got my Box today and it doing the same thing with the FF and RW functions like your is Kraziehase. Yes please let us know if getting another box fixes that problem. I havent called comcast since i just got it but it can get annoying.
post #200 of 6229 Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good Luck, and please let us know if your rent a cable installer needs help from the AVS list members.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #201 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 08:56 AM

has anyone successfully dumped the video from 3412 to their pc? what outputs did you use? tia
post #202 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb50 View Post

has anyone successfully dumped the video from 3412 to their pc? what outputs did you use? tia

Firewire will work.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #203 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 10:09 AM

I may have missed it while going through this thread, but is there a way to get the PIP to function? I have played back and forth with the buttons on the remote but no PIP.

amajamar
post #204 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amajamar View Post

I may have missed it while going through this thread, but is there a way to get the PIP to function? I have played back and forth with the buttons on the remote but no PIP.

amajamar

The PIP buttons on the Comcast remote are for your TV's PIP controls.

The DCT 64xx & 34xx series STB w/ IGuide does not have the built in PIP ability.

For now you will have to use your TV's Tuner or a VCR tuner or other source as your PIP Tuner.

Were all hoping when the Comcast/Tivo DVR comes out in mid 2006 area, that the software will allow the use of the Duel Tuner Duel output PIP ability.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #205 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 10:27 AM

I have a question, I have 3 3412's coming on Sat, for 2 of the TV's I will be using the component outs, will I still receive the all digital?
post #206 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 AM

I currently have a Phase I 3412, a Phase III 6412, and a older 6412 (6412/2005) so if anyone needs any comparison done between the three, ask. Currently working on getting the other two replaced with 3412 P I's as soon as I get the recordings onto my DVD Recorder. My only HDTV has DVI (well, component too, duh) , and I have a HDMI to DVI adaptor also. The other TVs are hooked up via S-Video and Coax RF.

Also I asked the Comcast Tech about bigger storage for the DVR's. He said Comcast is switching to Sony for their DVRs. Anyone have any info on that.

Also the Tech went through and tested EVERYTHING. He checked that OnDemand worked, that a whole bunch of channels worked, and some settings in the diagnostic menu worked, even the signal strength off the wall. There was a DVR there before though. Thats the first time I saw any tech check all those things. Mainly they turn it on and see that it makes picture and sound and thats it. And fiddle with some settings like auto-tune and thats it.
post #207 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

The PIP buttons on the Comcast remote are for your TV's PIP controls.

The DCT 64xx & 34xx series STB w/ IGuide does not have the built in PIP ability.

For now you will have to use your TV's Tuner or a VCR tuner or other source as your PIP Tuner.

Were all hoping when the Comcast/Tivo DVR comes out in mid 2006 area, that the software will allow the use of the Duel Tuner Duel output PIP ability.

That's a drag...my set doesn't have PIP! Maybe someday Motorola will develop the necessary technology to provide this highly complex function in it's STB...lol!

amajamar
post #208 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 11:19 AM

Quick question. I am having a dvr installed, replacing my 6200. I read something about a Phase 3 box. Can anyone tell me what I should be asking for and more importantly what I should be looking for when the install rep arrives. I live in Reading Ma. Thanks
post #209 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amajamar View Post

That's a drag...my set doesn't have PIP! Maybe someday Motorola will develop the necessary technology to provide this highly complex function in it's STB...lol!

amajamar

The DCT 64xx & 34xx seroes STB have PIP ability built into the box, however users of the IGUIDE Software & the current F/W used by Comcast does not allow you to have more then 1 tuner selected for output at any one time. The Tuner your selected to sends it's video & Audio to All Outputs at the same time.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #210 of 6229 Old 12-13-2005, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssteve View Post

Quick question. I am having a dvr installed, replacing my 6200. I read something about a Phase 3 box. Can anyone tell me what I should be asking for and more importantly what I should be looking for when the install rep arrives. I live in Reading Ma. Thanks

The 6412 phase 1 & phase 2 have a DVI output on the back, The new 6412 phase 3 and the DCT-3412 phase 1 have a HDMI output instead of the DVI output.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page