Scoops on Blu-rays and related musings - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > Scoops on Blu-rays and related musings
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 01:23 PM 12-05-2005
Well, for those having some interest in this……..

The Sony Blu-ray is expected to debut June 6, 006. :)

I say.... 006 :D for all those people familiar with my postings in my regular neighborhood.

Sony originally planned on having a couple models at different price points available to the discerning buyer….. but now it appears there will only be model that should have an MSRP of somewhere around $1300.(this model is much slimmer and compact than prior prototypes you may have seen.)

It will be at CES and they will be announcing titles at CES – which will be available for purchase at the same time the actual machine can be bought.

So, WHAT titles there be, inquiring minds want to know?

Perhaps one of the greatest movies ever made?...........Paul Bigelow and Rob Tomlin hold on to your hats !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :p :eek:

Why, Lawrence of Arabia, of course! :) (You two may stop reading now and daydream for the rest of the afternoon :D )

also.................

Fifth Element
Apocalypse
Ghost Rider
Triple X
Kung Fu Hustle
Resident Evil
There are some more but, I’m not at liberty to publicly disclose them all.

And to all those naysayers bitchin bout how long a wait it will be before current titles become available in the Blu-ray format……….

Well, when Memoirs of a Geisha, Bond (with the new guy), Click, Underworld 2 ? do eventually come out on DVD they will simultaneously appear on Blu-ray for a seamless transition for the discerning videophile. There are other titles which I cannot list at this time.

paintit77's Avatar paintit77 01:32 PM 12-05-2005
Will the new players work with Duel Layer 50 gig disks or just the single layer 25 gig disks?Any word word on the recently restored Bond films availability. Also, will the player output full HD over component or will it down convert? What version of HDMI is needed to recieve the signal? Any plans for Sony's other hot property, Godzilla?
brt3's Avatar brt3 01:40 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
The Sony Blu-ray is expected to debut June 6, 006. :)
666 -- does this mean that Blu-ray presages the arrival of the Anti-Christ? Could it be... Howard Stringer???
:eek:
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 01:43 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3
666 -- does this mean that Blu-ray presages the arrival of the Anti-Christ? Could it be... Howard Stringer???
:eek:
Hey,
Don't I keep telling you.......
It's Sir Howard to you! :D
magillagorilla's Avatar magillagorilla 01:47 PM 12-05-2005
Any word on 1080p vs. 1080i output?
brt3's Avatar brt3 01:48 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
Hey,
Don't I keep telling you.......
It's Sir Howard to you! :D
Hey, I'll call him anything you like -- even bow down and worship him, perhaps -- as long as keeps a little R&D money flowing towards the Qualia 006 end of the line...
;)
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 01:51 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla
Any word on 1080p vs. 1080i output?
Didn't ask.

I may find out something after the holidays when things calm down a bit.
All I can tell you is that previous prototypes have all been 1080i.
tonydeluce's Avatar tonydeluce 02:38 PM 12-05-2005
They will offer 1080i for sure. I suspect they will also offer 1080p...
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 02:46 PM 12-05-2005
"Apocalypse"? If it's not "Apocalypse Now" or "Apocalypse Now Redux", what is it?

larry
wjr's Avatar wjr 03:02 PM 12-05-2005
Will Sony's new video gaming system coming out next year (presumably with Blu-Ray) be able to play the new high def DVDs? I assume the gaming system will be nowhere near the $1300 price mentioned above.
cyclocommuter's Avatar cyclocommuter 03:39 PM 12-05-2005
This is interesting but I for one will probably wait it out a couple of months before jumping in to join the Blu-Ray bandwagon.

From experience, I have noted that in recent years, removable media became popular with consumers only after these became playable / usable on personal computers too... Witness CDs and DVDs among those that became standards and Laser Disc, SACD and DVD Audio that somehow gained a following but did not catch on with the masses.

When I start seeing Blu Ray readers/writers being sold for PCs, I would probably take that as a signal to start investing in Blu Ray discs... until then I am content with DVDs and cable based HDTV.

Furthermore, the recent Sony Rootkit fiasco has made matters worse IMHO when it comes to trusting Sony to come up with a univesal media that will be a real standard for some time to come.

Just my 2 cents, musings...
Grubert's Avatar Grubert 03:43 PM 12-05-2005
No Spidey movies?
steviec's Avatar steviec 04:06 PM 12-05-2005
[quote=PooperScooper]"Apocalypse"? If it's not "Apocalypse Now" or "Apocalypse Now Redux", what is it?

Probably " Resident Evil Apocalypse "
Rob Tomlin's Avatar Rob Tomlin 05:20 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
Well, for those having some interest in this……..

The Sony Blu-ray is expected to debut June 6, 006. :)

I say.... 006 :D for all those people familiar with my postings in my regular neighborhood.

Sony originally planned on having a couple models at different price points available to the discerning buyer….. but now it appears there will only be model that should have an MSRP of somewhere around $1300.(this model is much slimmer and compact than prior prototypes you may have seen.)

It will be at CES and they will be announcing titles at CES – which will be available for purchase at the same time the actual machine can be bought.

So, WHAT titles there be, inquiring minds want to know?

Perhaps one of the greatest movies ever made?...........Paul Bigelow and Rob Tomlin hold on to your hats !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :p :eek:

Why, Lawrence of Arabia, of course! :) (You two may stop reading now and daydream for the rest of the afternoon :D )

also.................
Oh. My. God.

I have been saying that Lawrence of Arabia should be the first title they release on Blu-Ray because 1) It is the best movie ever made and is Sony's Crown Jewel of its catalogue 2) it is a movie that screams for a High Def release with its vast landscapes and great cinematography, as well as being shot on 70mm film 3) people like me will buy the first Blu-Ray player available for the sole purpose of being able to watch Lawrence in HD!

Man, me so happy. Happy happy, joy joy!

http://www.smileys.ws/smls/action/00000035.gif
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 05:24 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla
Any word on 1080p vs. 1080i output?
UPDATE

I just got off the phone with somebody......"Yes, 1080p WILL be an output resolution."
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 05:25 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
They will offer 1080i for sure. I suspect they will also offer 1080p...
As usual, you be correct Tony! :)

See my post above.
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 05:26 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
"Apocalypse"? If it's not "Apocalypse Now" or "Apocalypse Now Redux", what is it?

larry
oops, :o
what it is .....is......" Resident Evil Apocalypse " :)
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 05:32 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjr
1.Will Sony's new video gaming system coming out next year (presumably with Blu-Ray) be able to play the new high def DVDs?
2.I assume the gaming system will be nowhere near the $1300 price mentioned above.
1. Yes it will and it is scheduled to debut nearly at the same time as the Blu-ray in June of 006.
2. No price yet, they're throwing around $500 - $1000.
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 05:34 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert
No Spidey movies?
It is a GIVEN that there will be Spidey movies in that first batch. :)

I just can't list all the stuff.
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 05:36 PM 12-05-2005
[quote=steviec]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
"Apocalypse"? If it's not "Apocalypse Now" or "Apocalypse Now Redux", what is it?

Probably " Resident Evil Apocalypse "
Not probably, you are correcto-mundo!

Are you still runnning component out on the Pio 59avi, if so, how about sharing any new settings on the Pio thread as inquiring minds would like to know. :)
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 05:41 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
Oh. My. God.
people like me will buy the first Blu-Ray player available for the sole purpose of being able to watch Lawrence in HD!
Me too ! :)

I knew you would be happy! :D
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 05:45 PM 12-05-2005
I re-read my post above and in my haste to type this thing up during lunch, I see that I said "June 6, 006" - that is incorrect, it should just read "June 006".

Sorry, brt, I know 3 6's beats two of a kind but, what can I say?
Rob Tomlin's Avatar Rob Tomlin 06:05 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
Me too ! :)

I knew you would be happy! :D
Extremely! The next question becomes whether Sony will actually deliver both products in June (the player and the titles). Then I wouldn't be quite so happy!

But I will maintain my optimism!

Can you say who your source for this info is? Good stuff! :)
brt3's Avatar brt3 06:08 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
I re-read my post above and in my haste to type this thing up during lunch, I see that I said "June 6, 006" - that is incorrect, it should just read "June 006". Sorry, brt, I know 3 6's beats two of a kind but, what can I say?
RATS! Think you should talk to the gents at Sony and convince them of the wisdom of a 666 release date -- even if it IS a Tuesday...
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 06:17 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
Extremely!
1. The next question becomes whether Sony will actually deliver both products in June (the player and the titles). Then I wouldn't be quite so happy!

2. But I will maintain my optimism!

3. Can you say who your source for this info is? Good stuff! :)
1. Yup, both the machine and the first batch of titles should debut simultaneously.......and they see no problem with the revised date as it originally was supposed to debut in April 006 but actually got pushed back to coincide with the gaming stuff.

2. I need to hear more quotes from you and Paul from that Lawrence movie. :D

3. No can do. But this is all going to be public knowledge at CES soon and the online rags should be buzzing about it as if THEY got the scoop.
sellis16's Avatar sellis16 06:24 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
Fifth Element
Apocalypse
Ghost Rider
Triple X
Kung Fu Hustle
Resident Evil
There are some more but, I’m not at liberty to publicly disclose them all.
The only advance movie you're at liberty to list is...Ghost Rider? I hope King Kong and Narnia are on.
tonydeluce's Avatar tonydeluce 06:24 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
As usual, you be correct Tony! :)

See my post above.
Yep. Looks like time for another upgrade :-) Isn't this fun!
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 06:36 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis16
The only advance movie you're at liberty to list is...Ghost Rider? I hope King Kong and Narnia are on.
Well honestly, I did mention a couple more to my fellow Qualians somewhere on this page http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=285&pp=30

or the following?
Rob Tomlin's Avatar Rob Tomlin 06:39 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man
1. Yup, both the machine and the first batch of titles should debut simultaneously.......and they see no problem with the revised date as it originally was supposed to debut in April 006 but actually got pushed back to coincide with the gaming stuff.
I like being reassured!

Quote:
2. I need to hear more quotes from you and Paul from that Lawrence movie. :D

"Mr. Dryden: Lawrence, only two kinds of creature get fun in the desert: Bedouins and gods, and you're neither. Take it from me, for ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

T.E. Lawrence: No, Dryden, it's going to be fun.

Mr. Dryden: It is recognized that you have a funny sense of fun. "

Quote:
3. No can do. But this is all going to be public knowledge at CES soon and the online rags should be buzzing about it as if THEY got the scoop.
Well, if this pans out, I will be sure to give you credit for getting one of the biggest scoops we have seen on AVS is quite some time!
Penton-Man's Avatar Penton-Man 06:43 PM 12-05-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
I like being reassured!

Well, if this pans out
Hey Rob......don't pans and Lawrence go together? :D
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop