Verizon FiOS QIP6416 DVR - Master Topic! - Page 144 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4291 of 4308 Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Based on the information that I have, if your Central Office isn't set up for Cisco, you won't be able to get a Cisco STB. Motorola Central Offices only support Motorola, and Cisco Central Offices only support Cisco.

The Moto 7232 should be available in limited markets.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4308 Old 10-25-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Verizon issues specifications to all for STB manufacturers whether they be Cisco, Moto, or others. In the past, there hasn't been a significant difference regarding features or functionality, unless there's a local or state compliance issue. That said, there may be a difference in reliability based on the manufacturers quality control.
post #4293 of 4308 Old 10-25-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Cisco boxes run a different MOCA format so they are not compatible w/ moto boxes for mrdvr and not all Cental Offices are ready to support the format yet.

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #4294 of 4308 Old 11-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Recently, it seems my receiver (Denon AVR-3801) no longer goes into Dolby Digital with my Fios QP6416-2.

I think I have all the settings correct, and the receiver still goes into 5.1 with the other sources I have going into the receivers other digital audio inputs.

I think this has happened fairly recently, as it worked for the past few years.

Anyone else having an issue? Any thing I should try?
post #4295 of 4308 Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a series recording set up for The Event on Mondays. As is my custom, I tried to join the recording about 20 minutes in so I can FF commercials. No matter what I tried, each time I selected "Play", the tuner would take me to real time on the NBC channel that carries the show. I also recorded Hawaii 5 O which follows the Event on Mondays. Playback of 5 O works perfectly as has everything recorded since. I had set up the 5 O recording earlier in the evening. Same channel but different results. Why? The description for the recording shows a 1 hour block taken up by something.

I tried several other times on following days to "Play" The Event recording and I am always taken to whatever is currently showing on that channel. The one thing I haven't done is to reboot the box. I deleted the episode as I watched it on nbc.com.

Is my hard drive dying?
post #4296 of 4308 Old 11-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

I have a series recording set up for The Event on Mondays. As is my custom, I tried to join the recording about 20 minutes in so I can FF commercials. No matter what I tried, each time I selected "Play", the tuner would take me to real time on the NBC channel that carries the show. I also recorded Hawaii 5 O which follows the Event on Mondays. Playback of 5 O works perfectly as has everything recorded since. I had set up the 5 O recording earlier in the evening. Same channel but different results. Why? The description for the recording shows a 1 hour block taken up by something.

I tried several other times on following days to "Play" The Event recording and I am always taken to whatever is currently showing on that channel. The one thing I haven't done is to reboot the box. I deleted the episode as I watched it on nbc.com.

Is my hard drive dying?

This has happened to me on a few occasions with both my 6414 and my 7414. It seems to work as expected the next day. Not sure what that is all about.
post #4297 of 4308 Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 AM

Hello,

I think this is a little different then what the person mentioned about but last night I recorded a program only to find out that when I attempt to play it cuts back to live TV. The file does seem to actually be on the box based on the disk space remaining after this recording, I just can't seem to play it. It seems others have experienced this as well on verizon's forum:
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV...16/td-p/130966

Unfortunately no seems to know to retrieve these recordings so I figured I'd see if anyone here knows anything. I normally wouldn't sweat it but it's an expensive PPV.

Thanks

UPDATE: To anyone who cares, it seems my box did an update last night and all of sudden...it works!
post #4298 of 4308 Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM

What kind of operating system is used on the QIP6416? I have on that I plan to remove the SATA 160GB hard drive for use in a Series 2 TiVo. In case the hard drive doesn't work in the TiVo I would like to be able to restore the drive. Where would a person find an image to restore the drive? Also would a person be able to install a different software onto the hard drive to make the QIP6416 usable for anything other that Verizon Fios? Or would it require a different BIOS?
post #4299 of 4308 Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 AM

Liked: 13
You do realize that in all probability, you are leasing the QIP6416 and don't own it, don't you? You could end up owing FIOS a boatload of money if you don't return it to them at some point. MFSlive.org is the place to find out how to create an image of a working Tivo drive. The hard drive from the QIP6416 will not work in a tivo as is. You are better off just buying a new hard drive if you want to upgrade your tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post

What kind of operating system is used on the QIP6416? I have on that I plan to remove the SATA 160GB hard drive for use in a Series 2 TiVo. In case the hard drive doesn't work in the TiVo I would like to be able to restore the drive. Where would a person find an image to restore the drive? Also would a person be able to install a different software onto the hard drive to make the QIP6416 usable for anything other that Verizon Fios? Or would it require a different BIOS?

post #4300 of 4308 Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM

The QIP6416 is mine. I bought it at a thrift store with a receipt. When I called Comcast about activating it on Comcast I was told that if I bought it at a thrift store that it had been removed from inventory and that it was only good for gutting.

I already have the instantcake disk for my TiVo.
post #4301 of 4308 Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

qip series boxes by motorola work only on fios. dct series boxes by motorola for the most part are compatible between motorola based systems.
post #4302 of 4308 Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM

So, there's no way to convert this QIP6416 to a DTC6416? How would one reflash the motherboard BIOS? Or does it even have a BIOS? Is the operating system installed on the hard drive as in a TiVo?
post #4303 of 4308 Old 11-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

So, there's no way to convert this QIP6416 to a DTC6416? How would one reflash the motherboard BIOS? Or does it even have a BIOS? Is the operating system installed on the hard drive as in a TiVo?

number 1 , modifying a cable box is illegal. number 2, even if you converted this to a dct6416 no cable company will activate it for you. give it up!
post #4304 of 4308 Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If I set SD override to anything other than 480i, it always reverts back eventually.

I know it has something to do with having everything run via HDMI through my a/r receiver -- but the settings SHOULD stick, no matter what.

Has anyone been able to resolve this. And by the way, it doesn't matter if the setting for SD override is changed in Verizon's video menu, or if you go into the setup screen on the set top box itself.

I would like to have the setting at 480p -- which allows me to see the OSD volume settings on my a/v receiver. However, it will not stay that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4305 of 4308 Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

If I set SD override to anything other than 480i, it always reverts back eventually.

I know it has something to do with having everything run via HDMI through my a/r receiver -- but the settings SHOULD stick, no matter what.

Has anyone been able to resolve this. And by the way, it doesn't matter if the setting for SD override is changed in Verizon's video menu, or if you go into the setup screen on the set top box itself.

I would like to have the setting at 480p -- which allows me to see the OSD volume settings on my a/v receiver. However, it will not stay that way.

i share your pain. i also see same issue i set to 480p, it automatically reverts to no override
post #4306 of 4308 Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Does anyone know what the sharpness level setting does in the service menu? Should I set to max or min?
post #4307 of 4308 Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 AM

Hardware built, need software capture suggestions ... I'm an old school IT Systems Architect and just built a Media Server and need software suggestions to capture the video tv shows saved on the wife's FIOS Motorola QIP 6416-2 DVR due to storage space issues.

Running a firewire from the DVR to the PC with Win7 Pro x86; device drivers were loaded and can see the QIP 6416. I am not a software guy and having issues picking the correct software that will capture the video stream, or rather that will play the stream and capture.

Very much appreciate your assistance and replies.
post #4308 of 4308 Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscappa View Post

Does anyone know what the sharpness level setting does in the service menu? Should I set to max or min?

I have mine set at 3, which is off. < 3 softens and > 3 sharpens

-----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page