Originally Posted by Parker Bro
Quick questions for all of you that have the QIP6416 box with the FIOS service:
1. Can this unit output digital and analog at the same time? I want to hook the unit to my TV via HDMI and then to my DVD recorder via S-video.
2. I am coming from Directv with Tivo to FIOS and was wondering how you felt about both the hardware and the guide interface. I know the hardware has issues (HDMI/ Optical) but do you feel that it really takes away from the experience. I also have heard that the interface is not as clean as the Directv Tivo. Those of you that came from Directv....are you happy with the switch?
3. Have you guys heard any rumblings of new hardware? Have you heard about firmware upgrades to existing hardware adressing the audio issues?
Thanks so much.
It sounds like you are perhaps toying with making the switch from D* to V*?
Here is my quick take on your questions:
1. Don't know about this one, but I seem to recall seeing that this might work.
2. The TiVo is of course a much-nobler animal, but even that box had some problems early on with numerous firmware upgrades to fix them. The QIP is the same. From a functional standpoint is has largely the same feature set as the HD-TiVO (note that I am not including the extended capabilities of the Series 2, which have never been added to the D* box). There are no wish lists, but other than that you can set recordings and options in a somewhat similar manner. The interface may not be intuitive, but some features are actually easier to access. I expect this will be a decent box after a couple of more firmware updates.
3. Yes, there are rumblings of new hardware, and definite promises of new firmware. Rumors are, in fact, that Verizon is talking to TiVo and that MOCA and other compatibility issues are being worked that would make the TiVo a full-function box for FiOS. Just rumors, though, but a nice sound to my ears. There *will* be many firmware updates, of course. Rumor again is that an April update will fix the HDMI/Optical 5.1 problem. I am currently just living with it.
Of course the biggest punch FiOS TV has over D* is picture quality and HD channel selection. Add VOD to this list as well. I expect this to continue and expand in the future.