Verizon FiOS QIP6416 DVR - Master Topic! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4308 Old 03-26-2006, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info, biker. I thought Verizon already had CC but they probably will by the time it's available here. I knew I couldn't get VOD with CC1 but that's not an issue with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4308 Old 03-27-2006, 12:09 PM

This may not be the right place to post this ... I just haven't had any luck finding the answer elsewhere.

I've had FIOS service for a few months with no issues. The 6416 is working fine, and I have 2 other non-6416 STB's in my house. Starting a few days ago, the non-6416's now say "No information" on the tv guide. Could this be somehow related to those STB's not getting DHCP address renewals from my own home router?
post #183 of 4308 Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksavage View Post

This may not be the right place to post this ... I just haven't had any luck finding the answer elsewhere.

I've had FIOS service for a few months with no issues. The 6416 is working fine, and I have 2 other non-6416 STB's in my house. Starting a few days ago, the non-6416's now say "No information" on the tv guide. Could this be somehow related to those STB's not getting DHCP address renewals from my own home router?

Whatever the reason, reboot the 2500s by unplugging them momentarily and see if that doesn't solve your problem. It has worked for me in the past.
post #184 of 4308 Old 03-28-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What are the chances FiOS is going to go this route?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12043628/
post #185 of 4308 Old 03-28-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

What are the chances FiOS is going to go this route?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12043628/

I have not seen anything offical but this website seems to have some info on Verizon's plan with what you posted.

http://www.longhornxp.net/Verizon.html

Quote:

So once CableCard 2.0 support is added if you have an HDTV set that supports CableCard 2.0 Verizon will provide a card for no or very low cost like a buck. This would allow you access to all SD and HDTV channels including full PPV and VOD services. Now this is the cool part. Because they have tons of bandwidth with the fiber they will be offering for an extra costs (per account cost) NDVR service. NDVR means networkable Digital Video Recorders. In simple terms you can view the guide and schedule any recording and it will be recorded on Verizon servers and you can play it back like any VOD show and you won't have unlimited recording space but it will be enough from what I hear to record over 100 hours of HDTV content or almost 400 hours of SD content. Now this is the cool stuff. This system would allow you to record six live shows at anytime and play them back on any TV you want including all digital boxes and on your CableCard 2.0 TV set without a box. They will still offer a DVR box as they do today but this will be an option for customers that would provide more homewide storage space along with trust that all recordings will be backed up and not lost. The only drawback is if service goes down you can't playback a show but what can I say.

post #186 of 4308 Old 03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

CC2 is like vapor ware from MS - you never know when it's coming out nor what exact features it will have. I hope Verizon will have CC before we get to V2.0.
NDVR does sound pretty cool. As long as it's less than the current $13/mo I'd go for it - I have no problem getting rid of the DVR next to my TV. The line between VOD and NDVR is pretty blurry at that point.
post #187 of 4308 Old 03-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

Whatever the reason, reboot the 2500s by unplugging them momentarily and see if that doesn't solve your problem. It has worked for me in the past.

Unfortunately, rebooting the 2500s did not work. When they came back on, they said they were downloading the guide ... and they still say that and it was 2-3 days ago!

Called Verizon Fios support and they sent a signal to the boxes and they both reset and are working!

Thanks!!
post #188 of 4308 Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, rebooting the 2500s did not work. When they came back on, they said they were downloading the guide ... and they still say that and it was 2-3 days ago!

Any other suggestions?

Sorry about that. I rent two 6416s and one 2500. When I had the downloading guide issue, it was on one of the 6416s and the 2500. The other 6416 was fine. I actually had to reboot the "working" 6416 to "fix" the other two. As a last resort, try rebooting your 6416 first, let it come back and reacquire its guide data, then see if the 2500s are okay. If they aren't, try rebooting them one more time. Good luck!
post #189 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I got connected to FIOS a couple of days ago, and I have a question. Everytime I power down the Motorola QIP 6416-1 HD DVR, it loses it's basic setup from 16x9/720p output, and converts back to factory defaults. Is their a "store" function to keep the configuration? It seems absolutely stupid that I have to go into a utility menu everytime I power the thing up, just to put the settings back. The installer didn't know how to stop it from doing that either. Of course, they didn't supply me with a manual for the unit!

post #190 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I got connected to FIOS a couple of days ago, and I have a question. Everytime I power down the Motorola QIP 6416-1 HD DVR, it loses it's basic setup from 16x9/720p output, and converts back to factory defaults. Is their a "store" function to keep the configuration? It seems absolutely stupid that I have to go into a utility menu everytime I power the thing up, just to put the settings back. The installer didn't know how to stop it from doing that either.

I think my box has been keeping its settings when powered back up. I know it has at least been keeping my 4:3 settings. Since my output settings are the default I can't speak to this.
post #191 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:

I got connected to FIOS a couple of days ago, and I have a question. Everytime I power down the Motorola QIP 6416-1 HD DVR, it loses it's basic setup from 16x9/720p output, and converts back to factory defaults. Is their a "store" function to keep the configuration? It seems absolutely stupid that I have to go into a utility menu everytime I power the thing up, just to put the settings back. The installer didn't know how to stop it from doing that either. Of course, they didn't supply me with a manual for the unit!

Agree that the unit should keep its settings ... curious, though, why you are powering it off in the first place? It needs to be on to record shows when you are not there.
post #192 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agree that the unit should keep its settings ... curious, though, why you are powering it off in the first place? It needs to be on to record shows when you are not there.

Good point. I guess I didn't consider that. I'm coming off of an HD Tivo unit when I had Direct. It didn't have a power button. So since this unit had a power button, maybe I was thinking it would turn itself on and record like a VCR. But that does make sense to just simply leave the unit on.

post #193 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I will agree that there is no good reason to turn off the box; however, it will record whether it is "on" or not.
post #194 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

I will agree that there is no good reason to turn off the box; however, it will record whether it is "on" or not.

In that case, I would rather be able to turn it off when I'm not using it. The Tivo unit ran the hard drive all the time for it's "live TV" recording, whether I was watching TV or not. I think it would be nice to be able to turn the unit off when I'm not watchin Live TV, and still have the recorder work. Plus as noted, it shouldn't lose it's confuguration settings when it's simply turned off by the remote. I know others here are using this unit with widescreen HDTV's. Do any of you guys have this problem? I'm still thinking it has to be something simple like pressing some sort of "store" sequence.

post #195 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...it shouldn't lose it's confuguration settings when it's simply turned off by the remote.

You're right. I have two questions: What are the "factory defaults" the 6416 reverts to that you referred to in your original post? What type of connection are you using?
Quote:

Of course, they didn't supply me with a manual for the unit!

You should ask them to send you one. I wrote Motorola customer support inquiring about a pdf file for the 6416 and they didn't know when it would be added. It seems ridiculous that they wouldn't have it on their site, but the demand is just not there yet, apparently.
post #196 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right. I have two questions: What are the "factory defaults" the 6416 reverts to that you referred to in your original post? What type of connection are you using?

The factory defaults are 4:3 and 480i. My connection is HDMI to DVI.

post #197 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The factory defaults are 4:3 and 480i. My connection is HDMI to DVI.

Okay. Now, according to the User Guide, the default settings are 16:9 and 1080i. Just for further clarification, you aren't talking about the 4:3 Override setting, are you?
Also, according to the Guide, "when you first connect a TV to the QIP64xx using the HDMI connection, the TV and the set-top exchange information to automatically determine the best possible TV TYPE and HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT settings. To cause the DVI/HDMI TV and set-top to re-exchange information to restore the automatic settings, select Restore All Defaults with the HDMI connector in place and the TV powered on. To reset all User Settings to their defaults, select this option and press the 'right arrow' key."
My 720p DLP TV is connected by HDMI to the set-top and I can verify that the configuration was automatic, that is, from 1080i (default) to 720p. You may have gotten a returned unit and the defaults may need to be reset. This is just a SWAG on my part. If that doesn't work, you might ask Verizon to change it out. Good luck.
post #198 of 4308 Old 03-31-2006, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay. Now, according to the User Guide, the default settings are 16:9 and 1080i. Just for further clarification, you aren't talking about the 4:3 Override setting, are you?
Also, according to the Guide, "when you first connect a TV to the QIP64xx using the HDMI connection, the TV and the set-top exchange information to automatically determine the best possible TV TYPE and HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT settings. To cause the DVI/HDMI TV and set-top to re-exchange information to restore the automatic settings, select Restore All Defaults with the HDMI connector in place and the TV powered on. To reset all User Settings to their defaults, select this option and press the 'right arrow' key."
My 720p DLP TV is connected by HDMI to the set-top and I can verify that the configuration was automatic, that is, from 1080i (default) to 720p. You may have gotten a returned unit and the defaults may need to be reset. This is just a SWAG on my part. If that doesn't work, you might ask Verizon to change it out. Good luck.

Hmm... if it's automatic, then it's not working very well. This is the second unit that I've tried from them. But it was a for a different problem. And I don't know if the other unit also suffered from this "configuration" issue because we never got the video to work on it. But I'll try reseting the factory default setting later when I get home, and see if that gets the unit to re-do it's auto config.

post #199 of 4308 Old 04-03-2006, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, resetting the unit to factory defaults didn't help the problem either. It's still changing itself to 480i and 4:3 AR. Another thing I've found out with this unit, is that if a show starts to record and the unit is still set to 4:3/480i, you can't get into the utility menu to change it back to 16x9/720p without having to stop the recording. I can't believe they don't have some sort of "save" function for the basic setup info. How long has Mototola been in business?

post #200 of 4308 Old 04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't believe they don't have some sort of "save" function for the basic setup info. How long has Mototola been in business?

The blame could lie with Microsoft also - they make the underlying OS.
post #201 of 4308 Old 04-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Im not sure if youve tried this but- with the power off press and hold menu(could be info)button The available displays should appear in the front panel.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #202 of 4308 Old 04-05-2006, 06:02 AM

With the power off on the set top box and the TV on, hold the menu button for a short time. you'll get a gray setup screen that allows you to set the output. The installer should have set this for you. Good luck.
post #203 of 4308 Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout7 View Post

With the power off on the set top box and the TV on, hold the menu button for a short time. you'll get a gray setup screen that allows you to set the output. The installer should have set this for you. Good luck.

That's what I've been doing. But the box still won't hold the configuration. I also noticed that if I turn the projector off without turning the STB off, that it still loses it's configuration setting. This is so lame!

post #204 of 4308 Old 04-05-2006, 04:44 PM

Quick questions for all of you that have the QIP6416 box with the FIOS service:

1. Can this unit output digital and analog at the same time? I want to hook the unit to my TV via HDMI and then to my DVD recorder via S-video.

2. I am coming from Directv with Tivo to FIOS and was wondering how you felt about both the hardware and the guide interface. I know the hardware has issues (HDMI/ Optical) but do you feel that it really takes away from the experience. I also have heard that the interface is not as clean as the Directv Tivo. Those of you that came from Directv....are you happy with the switch?

3. Have you guys heard any rumblings of new hardware? Have you heard about firmware upgrades to existing hardware adressing the audio issues?

Thanks so much.
post #205 of 4308 Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Bro View Post

Quick questions for all of you that have the QIP6416 box with the FIOS service:

1. Can this unit output digital and analog at the same time? I want to hook the unit to my TV via HDMI and then to my DVD recorder via S-video.

2. I am coming from Directv with Tivo to FIOS and was wondering how you felt about both the hardware and the guide interface. I know the hardware has issues (HDMI/ Optical) but do you feel that it really takes away from the experience. I also have heard that the interface is not as clean as the Directv Tivo. Those of you that came from Directv....are you happy with the switch?

3. Have you guys heard any rumblings of new hardware? Have you heard about firmware upgrades to existing hardware adressing the audio issues?

Thanks so much.

It sounds like you are perhaps toying with making the switch from D* to V*?

Here is my quick take on your questions:

1. Don't know about this one, but I seem to recall seeing that this might work.

2. The TiVo is of course a much-nobler animal, but even that box had some problems early on with numerous firmware upgrades to fix them. The QIP is the same. From a functional standpoint is has largely the same feature set as the HD-TiVO (note that I am not including the extended capabilities of the Series 2, which have never been added to the D* box). There are no wish lists, but other than that you can set recordings and options in a somewhat similar manner. The interface may not be intuitive, but some features are actually easier to access. I expect this will be a decent box after a couple of more firmware updates.

3. Yes, there are rumblings of new hardware, and definite promises of new firmware. Rumors are, in fact, that Verizon is talking to TiVo and that MOCA and other compatibility issues are being worked that would make the TiVo a full-function box for FiOS. Just rumors, though, but a nice sound to my ears. There *will* be many firmware updates, of course. Rumor again is that an April update will fix the HDMI/Optical 5.1 problem. I am currently just living with it.

Of course the biggest punch FiOS TV has over D* is picture quality and HD channel selection. Add VOD to this list as well. I expect this to continue and expand in the future.
post #206 of 4308 Old 04-06-2006, 09:07 AM

They have a survey on TV service and the most important question
"12. If you did answer HD DVR receiver in question 7, what other features would you like to see in your HD DVR receiver?"
There is a link to the survey on their website, under channel lineup, on the right side. I can't post a link because I am new, sorry.
post #207 of 4308 Old 04-07-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the Forum. I think you are correct. I pulled up this post from a few pages back and my response. Unfortunately there hasn't been any follow-up. Since posting my response to a1rodger, I have read other posts indicating problems with 5.1 DD using HDMI-equipped AV receivers. At least for conventional setups, it is currently a no-go. Supposedly a firmware update is in the works.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I hooked the HDMI V* STB to the Yamaha with HDMI switching and still only had pcm output. It seam that pcm may be the default audio coming out of the hdmi port on the STB.
post #208 of 4308 Old 04-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwedeking View Post

They have a survey on TV service and the most important question
"12. If you did answer HD DVR receiver in question 7, what other features would you like to see in your HD DVR receiver?"
There is a link to the survey on their website, under channel lineup, on the right side. I can't post a link because I am new, sorry.

I took the survey, and answered "TIVO software" for #12.
post #209 of 4308 Old 04-07-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypicky View Post

I took the survey, and answered "TIVO software" for #12.

I told them about my unit not holding it's configuration memory. And I also mentioned that it's not compatible with my DVDO iScanHD video scaler, although my HD TIVO unit was.

post #210 of 4308 Old 04-10-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Bro View Post

Thanks so much.

What I miss most about the DirecTV TiVo is the pop-back feature while fast forwarding. On the DTV Tivo, once you hit play off of FF it would pop back some number of seconds (depending on how fast you were going). I haven't found that yet with FIOS, so I have to reverse every time I skip though commercials. I'd love to have that back.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page