AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wildrock,

How long is your HDMI cable?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1510 Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

We you post that info, please also let me know:

1. Was the recording ever playable?

No. When I try to play it a dialog comes up asking if I want play or delete. Won't play and I haven't deleted.

Quote:

2. Have you rebooted and if so, how many times?

I think I have rebooted once. I can try again.

This recording plays:

Application data:
HD Net Test Pattern

Metadata file size: 5152
MPEG file size: 1292894208 {1292894208}
Trick File Size: 573248 {573248}
Clean Termination: Yes
Analog encoding: No
Content type: HD
Recording started at: 12/31/2006 11:50:11
Recording ended at: 12/31/2006 12:00:09
Play Time: 9:58
Digital Copy Permit: CCI_COPY_PERMITTED
Analog Copy Pemit: None
Broadcast Flag: No
Recording Overflows: 0
Recorded with build: 001-600-04-15-02-03
Discontinuities: 0
Avg. Bit Rate: 17296240
Disk full pauses: 0
Audio type: Dolby_Digital
Video type: MPEG2
Stream timeouts: 0
Navigation timeouts: 0
Trim offset: 0
Byte offset: 0
Tuner source: 2
Record session time: 598210
Compact state flag: 1
L+F state flag: 0

This one won't:

Application data:
Chick Corea: Rendezous in NY

MPEG file size: 8434745344 {0}
Trick File Size: 3450304 {3450304}
Clean Termination: Yes
Analog encoding: No
Content type: HD
Recording started at: 12/31/2006 12:00:10
Recording ended at: 12/31/2006 13:00:09
Play Time: 59:59
Digital Copy Permit: CCI_COPY_PERMITTED
Analog Copy Pemit: None
Broadcast Flag: No
Recording Overflows: 0
Recorded with build: 001-600-04-15-02-03
Discontinuities: 0
Avg. Bit Rate: 18754296
Disk full pauses: 0
Audio type: Dolby_Digital
Video type: MPEG2
Stream timeouts: 0
Navigation timeouts: 0
Trim offset: 0
Byte offset: 0
Record session time: 3598110
Compact state flag: 0
L+F state flag: unknown

The above is what I wrote down. I will double check the dates as the recordings were done as we changed over from 06 to 07.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 1510 Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing View Post

Linden

Here is a dump of the contents screens for this recording. I havent watched the whole recording yest- will do that later. I've used short forms for the sections - hope that isOK.
Jim

Short form is fine. I see nothing obviously wrong in the diags info, it looks quite good in fact. Update me when you watch it completely.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #94 of 1510 Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Short form is fine. I see nothing obviously wrong in the diags info, it looks quite good in fact. Update me when you watch it completely.

Linden

I watched the whole recording on PLAY and it was all OK. I Then restrated it and played back at FF3 speed. At about 26min into the recording it started to pixalize and bloc and then freeze. As before - when selecting PLAY- the picture returned to normal!!

Any more checks you want me to do?

A question for you: Should I be pressing my cable Comapny to get my box updated to 9.23?
post #95 of 1510 Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wildrock,

It's a six foot Philips.
post #96 of 1510 Old 01-04-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer970 View Post

Tuner source:

For the problem recording, please double check the Tuner source: entry. Are you sure its empty?

Linden
post #97 of 1510 Old 01-04-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Linden

Any more checks you want me to do?

Still thinking about this one.

Quote:

A question for you: Should I be pressing my cable Comapny to get my box updated to 9.23?

A point of clarification. I mentioned earlier that I can't comment on non-public hardware/software releases. Similarly, I can't recommend how you should interact with your local cable company. Each has their own testing and quality assurance processes so its not unusual that there are different releases at different locations at any single point in time.

Linden
post #98 of 1510 Old 01-05-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Linden

I watched the whole recording on PLAY and it was all OK.

We need to you carefully watch playback at normal speed between 20 and 35 minutes and verify that there is no macroblocking/pixelizing.

Then I need to try FF between 20-35 minutes with each FF speed and report the results. Please do the same with Rewind.

Linden
post #99 of 1510 Old 01-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:

We need to you carefully watch playback at normal speed between 20 and 35 minutes and verify that there is no macroblocking/pixelizing.

Then I need to try FF between 20-35 minutes with each FF speed and report the results. Please do the same with Rewind.

You obviously had some idea of what I would find!!! If I had blinked, I might have missed it!!

On normal play at about 26 min, there was a "discontinuity"; the picture momentarily froze, audio stopped, picture restarted, audio came back and then about a half second of pixalization and then the picture and audio restarted. This all lasted for maybe 3 secs.

From this point on, when in playback at normal speed, I selected FF1:
FF1 had severe pixalization and blocking, but the recording kept playing.
FF2 resulted in the playback and picture freezing
FF3 resulted in the playback and picture freezing
FF4 resulted in the playback and picture freezing

When rewind was selected, the picture froze (NO pixalization) but the program was obvously rewinding, because the picture unfroze as soon as it cleared the "discontinuity". RW2,3,4 all behaved the same way.

Then while playing around (no pun intended!!)- I selected FF4 BEFORE the "discontinuity" and as soon as it hit this point, the pixalization/blocking restarted, however the picture did NOT freeze and fast forward mode continued.

I rewound again to before the discontinuity and tried FF2 and had the same pixalization effect as soon as it hit this discontinuity. From FF2, I then selected FF3 and the playback and picture froze.

Hope this helps!! I'm getting really interested to know what you think is happening!!!

Jim

PS I understand your position about F/W revisions.
post #100 of 1510 Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wildrock,

Ok, I looked at this again and just busted out laughing. Twisted AVS forum laughter, cause my newest answer was:

"Just long enough!"
post #101 of 1510 Old 01-05-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the problem recording, please double check the Tuner source: entry. Are you sure its empty?

It was 2. I edited the above post to include that. I have also rebooted and still no joy. I looked at the times of the recordings and what I list is correct. The recordings were done over the midnight hour. The only thing I can figure is that my provider (Bresnan) has their internal clock off by 12 hours. Again, thanks for all of your help with everyones problems. It's really no big deal if I loose this recording, mostly just want to help you figure out the gremlins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #102 of 1510 Old 01-05-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrock View Post

Ok, I looked at this again and just busted out laughing. Twisted AVS forum laughter, cause my newest answer was:

"Just long enough!"

But if it was just a littttttttttle bit longer, maybe that would solve the problem!

Couldn't resist.

post #103 of 1510 Old 01-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just got this set box and I have a few questions.

1. Is there any way to get recording from the DVR onto a computer?

2. Why can't I play some recordings? I go to watch them and when I hit resume all it lets me do is delete the recording or go back to where I was.

3. What functions do they USB and ethernet provide? If I connect it to my PC with either will that allow me to pull stuff of it?
post #104 of 1510 Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post

1. Is there any way to get recording from the DVR onto a computer?

It can be done via the firewire port. See the sticky post at the top of this area: How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP

Quote:

2. Why can't I play some recordings? I go to watch them and when I hit resume all it lets me do is delete the recording or go back to where I was.

Several of us have had problems with playback. See the discussion above. Lindend who works for Pace is trying to figure out what is going on.

Quote:

3. What functions do they USB and ethernet provide? If I connect it to my PC with either will that allow me to pull stuff of it?

At this time neither are active. Hopefully in the future, additions to the software will be made so that they will be useful.

post #105 of 1510 Old 01-06-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You obviously had some idea of what I would find!!! If I had blinked, I might have missed it!!

From your description, one of three things are likely the cause:

1. Recording overflows caused damaged to the information necessary to do trick functions.
2. Corruption in the MPEG content
3. The recording was paused due to a disk full condition.

The diags info ruled out #1 and #3 the symptoms would be slightly different. So #2 appears to be the source of the issue.

Quote:

On normal play at about 26 min, there was a "discontinuity"; the picture momentarily froze, audio stopped, picture restarted, audio came back and then about a half second of pixalization and then the picture and audio restarted. This all lasted for maybe 3 secs.

The root question is was it like this in the original broadcast or is it only the recording that has this problem. If the source material is problematic, not much we can do about this.

Linden
post #106 of 1510 Old 01-06-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Just long enough!"

I know it was an oddball question, but believe it or not, there are some HDMI displays where HDCP gets flaky if you use a cable longer than 6 ft.

If you read the manual for these displays, the manufacturer recommends not using cables longer than 6ft, but never says why.

Anyway, given that you have a 6 ft. cable, this isn't an issue.

Linden
post #107 of 1510 Old 01-06-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was 2. I edited the above post to include that.

Thanks.

Quote:

I have also rebooted and still no joy.

With an MPEG file size of 0, there unfortunately never will be any joy on this recording.

Quote:

It's really no big deal if I loose this recording, mostly just want to help you figure out the gremlins.

Its a very big deal to us. We treat any lost recording seriously and appreciate your patience.

Your scenario is actually slightly different that wildrock's. I think his was lost due to the reboot. From the details you provided, I don't think reboot was the cause of the problem.

On the main PVR status page in diagnostics, please post the TRASH RECOVERIES and TRASH EMPTIES values.

Let me think about this some more to see if there's anything else we need before you delete the recording.

Linden
post #108 of 1510 Old 01-06-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

schaffer970's response was very accurate, but I have a couple of additional follow up questions.

Quote:

Do you still have the recordings? If so, please follow the instructions that I posted earlier in the thread to get into diagnostics and post the details. From those details, I'll be able to let you know if you're running in the same issues that we're currently investigating.

BTW, who is your cable company and do you know the firmware revision that you are using?

Quote:

The functionality of the ethernet port varies by site. If it is functional, it would function like a CableModem.

But you can't use it to transfer recordings. There is no published way of doing that with the current version of TV Guide.

Linden
post #109 of 1510 Old 01-06-2007, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No, the recording weren't that important so I just deleted them. I was able to watch them, but later on I couldn't.

My cable company is Cebridge Connections, owned by sudden link.

They came and installed the box mid December, I will have to look exactly later on to see what it is. And I will have to try and run an ethernet cable from it to my computer to see if it will do anything.

ty for the help
post #110 of 1510 Old 01-07-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the recording weren't that important so I just deleted them. I was able to watch them, but later on I couldn't.

Ok, this sounds like the problem we are chasing.

1. Do you know if the recordings were on analog or digital channels?
2. Do you know if you rebooted the box at any point in time after you viewed the recordings but before they became unplayable?

Linden
post #111 of 1510 Old 01-07-2007, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

For those that are willing, I'd appreciate it if you could collect the following details:

1. For each recording that is playable, track the state of the compact flag.
2. If you see that the compact flag is 0, write down the name of the recording somewhere.
3. Use the box normally (if you have to reboot for any reason its ok).
4. If/when you run into an unplayable recording with an MPEG size of 0, post the diags details (particularly if the compact state flag has changed to 1).
5. Also indicate if an EAS happened or you used VOD in between the file being playable and then becoming unplayable.
6. You don't need to post all the diags details.

I just need the

MPEG file size:
Tuner source:
Compact state flag:
L+F state flag:

Note: The last three fields are not available in the 9.21 firmware

For item #5, please particularly note if you used VOD within two to three minutes after deleting or finishing a recording.

Linden
post #112 of 1510 Old 01-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Linden, a thought. The last time I lost the recordings, the event (loosing video on VOD, and then the rest of the cable channels, which forced me to reboot) was preceded a few hours by the weekly EBS (Emergency Broadcast System) interruption. The last time it interrupted a scheduled recording, which was broken into three parts. I just deleted the parts, as I had had this happen several times with the 6412, and you lose too much of the program to want to watch it. So I don't know if maybe the EBS interruption is somehow screwing up the logic on the Tahoe, but if the box was compacting or something like that, I can see it happening. Blame it on DHS (Dept. Homeland Security)? That would be funny.
post #113 of 1510 Old 01-07-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I don't know if maybe the EBS interruption is somehow screwing up the logic on the Tahoe, but if the box was compacting or something like that, I can see it happening. Blame it on DHS (Dept. Homeland Security)? That would be funny.

Thanks for the idea. My initial reaction is that an Emergency Alert System (EAS) shouldn't affect this problem as all it does is terminate recordings early and you end up with lots of little recordings.

However, it may be worth finding out if there is a correlation between EAS and later content loss. Did anyone else notice an EAS broadcast within 24 hours of the unplayable file(s) showing up?

Linden
post #114 of 1510 Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 PM

Lost some recordings all HD Movies from protected channels. I will post the specific info tomorrow, as I am going to bed.

Same as most people, went to watch the movie and was prompted to delete the recording.
post #115 of 1510 Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For those that are willing, I'd appreciate it if you could collect the following details:

1. For each recording that is playable, track the state of the compact flag.
2. If you see that the compact flag is 0, write down the name of the recording somewhere.
3. Use the box normally (if you have to reboot for any reason its ok).
4. If/when you run into an unplayable recording with an MPEG size of 0, post the diags details (particularly if the compact state flag has changed to 1).
5. Also indicate if an EAS happened or you used VOD in between the file being playable and then becoming unplayable.
6. You don't need to post all the diags details.

I just need the

MPEG file size:
Tuner source:
Compact state flag:
L+F state flag:

Note: The last three fields are not available in the 9.21 firmware

For item #5, please particularly note if you used VOD within two to three minutes after deleting or finishing a recording.

Linden, I just had a power blip, and the Tahoe rebooted. So I thought I'd check the program status. First off, I checked all of the recordings yesterday, and they all worked, and had compact state flags of 0 and L+F state flags of 0. No VOD, nor did I notice an EAS (was watching late when it usually happens).

So the first HD recording is fine.

The next one is borked. Here's the stats:

MPEG file size: 16206790656 {0}
compact state: 0
L+F: unknown

Recordings 3-6 fine

Recording 7 gone:

Mpeg file size: 136608448128 {0}
Tuner source: 1
Compact state flag: 0

Recordings 8-10 are fine.

So it does seem that maybe a power interruption has something to do with it. Hope this helps. Might have to dig out an old UPS from the garage and hook it up.
post #116 of 1510 Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Recordings 3-6 fine....Recordings 8-10 are fine.

Could you post the details on the MPEG file sizes for the recordings that are still playable?

Also, on the DVR status page, what is the value for

TRASH RECOVERIES and TRASH EMPTIES?

Third question. If you go into standby and wait three minutes, are you seeing front panel animation when you come out of standby and hear the HDD spin up?

Linden
post #117 of 1510 Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On the main PVR status page in diagnostics, please post the TRASH RECOVERIES and TRASH EMPTIES values.

Let me think about this some more to see if there's anything else we need before you delete the recording.

Both Trash Recoveries and Empties are 0. Hope this helps.

post #118 of 1510 Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm re-reviewing your diagnostics details.

Quote:

This recording plays:

Application data:
HD Net Test Pattern

This one won't:

Application data:
Chick Corea: Rendezous in NY

MPEG file size: 8434745344 {0}

L+F state flag: 0

Is it possible that that the L+F values are reversed?

Typically, when the MPEG file size is 0, the L+F flag is unknown.
The L+F flag shouldn't be unknown if there is a valid file size.

Linden
post #119 of 1510 Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has reported the MPEG File size of 0 bug post their HDD model.

You can get the HDD model and serial number on the HDD Status page (23)

If you could also post the fragmented/max file fields too, it would be appreciated.

Linden
post #120 of 1510 Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has reported the MPEG File size of 0 bug post their HDD model.

You can get the HDD model and serial number on the HDD Status page (23)

If you could also post the fragmented/max file fields too, it would be appreciated.

Model: ST3160023AS
Serial number: 4MT2LZLQ

Fragmented/max files 0/11
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page