TDC775 Tahoe Pace 700 Series - High Definition DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1510 Old 03-23-2006, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is anyone familiar with the:

TDC775 Tahoe Pace 700 Series - High Definition DVR?

Are Cable TV operators beginning to offer this STB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1510 Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I called Albany TWC and spoke to Mary this morning. I asked if TWC has any DVR's besides the Scientific-Atlanta models. She said she had to check and put me on hold.

She came back on the line about a minute later and said, "We only have the PACE HD set top boxes at this time, not the DVRs." I asked if the HD DVR's will be coming in the future, and she replied, "Yes they will, but we don't have an exact date yet."

I poked around the Pace website, and the tech specs for this DVR list a 160GB hard drive as standard equipment, with a larger hard drive as "optional".

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #3 of 1510 Old 03-23-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Beyond the features I'm more interested in the internal processing of the MPEG decoder and deinterlacing/scaling capabilities of this STB. Presumably it is built with newer generation/better components. I'd be inclined to add my own external SATA drive if this DVR is significantly better than the SA8300.
post #4 of 1510 Old 03-23-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Beyond the features I'm more interested in the internal processing of the MPEG decoder and deinterlacing/scaling capabilities of this STB. Presumably it is built with newer generation/better components. I'd be inclined to add my own external SATA drive if this DVR is significantly better than the SA8300.

Bump

John
post #5 of 1510 Old 03-23-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up the DC551 from Time Warner today, which is nothing special. The software interface isn't as good as the SA8300s and there is no pass-through option for component output.
post #6 of 1510 Old 08-28-2006, 10:44 AM

We just received a TDC775 from Bresnan for our HD package upgrade. The unit is well made and loaded. Besides component, optical, and HDMI, the rear panel has a NIC, two firewire ports, USB, and an eSATA port. It was delivered with no real use instructions (typical), and so far I haven't found any manual available online.

I've noticed the box runs very hot, so it needs a well-ventilated space.
post #7 of 1510 Old 09-03-2006, 08:45 PM

I have a TDC775D Pace DVR from bresnan that we just received about a month ago right before I started there. I like it but I'm looking to hook into with my computer, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to do that.
post #8 of 1510 Old 09-13-2006, 04:13 AM

Just picked up a TDC775D DVR for Suddenlink in Houston and was also thinking about hooking it into my computer, let me know if you had any sucess, also looking for a users manual if anyone knows where i can find one.
post #9 of 1510 Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 PM

I too have a TDC775. The SATA port is active unlike the 6412 PIII, and I have a HDD attached.

There are also loop through connectors and zoom button on the remote. The front panel has tuner recording indicators too.

Who else has this box?
post #10 of 1510 Old 09-14-2006, 06:58 AM

Here is the user manual..

Pace Manual
post #11 of 1510 Old 09-28-2006, 04:44 PM

I just got this dvr .... so can you just hookup any usb harddrive?

what port do u have your hooked up to? the front?
post #12 of 1510 Old 10-08-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I notice Pace is running a banner ad sponsorship here at the top of the AVS page. It links to this:

http://www.pacemicro.com/americas/co...id=tahoe_promo
post #13 of 1510 Old 10-08-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's an interesting tidbit from the end of the user's manual:

Quote:

... In compliance with the GPL and LGPL Pace makes the source code of the Linux software, libraries and associated utilities it uses, together with its modifications (if any), available to the public in source code form at http://www.pacemicro.com/opensource/TDC770DSeries. You are free to use, modify and distribute the Linux software and any modifications as long as you comply with the terms of the GPL or LGPL referred to above. ...

Note: there's just a placeholder page there, no actual code yet...
post #14 of 1510 Old 10-20-2006, 01:13 PM

or do you get the dreaded repeater error?
post #15 of 1510 Old 10-20-2006, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by soljarag View Post

I just got this dvr .... so can you just hookup any usb harddrive?

what port do u have your hooked up to? the front?

I think the poster said the eSATA port was active - to allow connection of an external SATA drive - not that a USB drive was supported?
post #16 of 1510 Old 12-04-2006, 04:52 AM

Where was this thread the last time I searched? (grrrrr)

I've got my own little thread going here

http://www.pacemicro.com/corporate/p...TDC775%20Tahoe

I'm glad to see someone has actually got the eSATA connection working. My HDD enclosure will be here in a day or two. I tried the firewire connections using the firestb drivers but could never get the box recognized.

Glenn
post #17 of 1510 Old 12-04-2006, 04:00 PM

of course, the key question about this box is...........

how do you program in the 30-second skip????

Glenn
post #18 of 1510 Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 AM

well, finally got my eSATA case in, inserted my Seagate 360GB drive, connected it to the Pace box, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddd................

nothing!

I guess I'll reboot it when I finish recording the current show.......

Glenn
post #19 of 1510 Old 12-09-2006, 09:52 AM

ok, a reboot did nothing either. I will stroll through the menus after they come back up

Glenn
post #20 of 1510 Old 12-09-2006, 10:30 AM

UPDATE:

OK, I just noticed that my "space used" has dropped from the upper 50's down to 13%! I think it has recognized the drive. I'm guessing it formatted it too?

Glenn
post #21 of 1510 Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 AM

When I got digital cable hookup, I was given a Motorola 3412 STB. The HDMI would not work with my Panny Plazma TH-42PX600U (got a green screen after a few seconds) My cable company has been testing the Pace Tahoe TDC775 boxes and I got one of those today. The HDMI now works perfectly, plus I now have 160Gb record capability.
Will see if it has any software glitches as the days go by. For info- my Firmware is Version 9.21.
post #22 of 1510 Old 12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing View Post

Will see if it has any software glitches as the days go by. For info- my Firmware is Version 9.21.

Just got my Tahoe today. Bresnan has begun to deploy them extensively here in western MT. I expect that this will be one of the boxes that will see a lot of deployment in the upcoming year. May this thread thrive! (even though I was getting ready to start a new one in the HDTV dvr section).

My Firmware is 9.23 and S/W v.78.27-0515.

Just hooked it up to replace my Motorola 6412 pIII that I couldn't stand. First impressions of the Pace tahoe is that it is lighter, quiter, and cooler running than the 6412. The HD image is outstanding, but I haven't noticed if it really is any better than the 6412. I'll run it through the menus and optimize the SD and see how the video circuits are for scaling and deinterlacing.

I'm excited about the eSATA, so I can at least record more than the 12 hours of HD the 6412 gave me. I'll check in later after I've had some time to check out the box.
post #23 of 1510 Old 12-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, so I'm trying to get the settings optimized for resolution. HD is fine at 1080i. But when I try to get the SD set, it is a bit akward. To get the image in the right aspect, I have to choose 480i, with auto letterbox on. Then I have to hit the fill button on my westy 37w3. If auto letterbox is off, the screen is too wide. Without fill, too narrow. If I use 480p, with no auto letterbox, the aspect is fine, but I get garbage lines on top. If I use 720p, I get the best image, but the image is stretched out, and garbage on top. If I use...Well you get the point.

The only setting that seems right is 480i, auto letterbox, with panel set to fill. But then if I switch to HD, I have to remember to un-fill the screen. PITA. And the picture at 480i is really awful. Grainy and interlace artifacts. So I'm not sure what to do here. Anybody else played with these settings and come up with a better solution? Am I missing something? I didn't have these same problems with the moto 6412.

But on the other hand, I get much better response to the remote, and haven't had any lockups. And more recording time and expansion options. Guess it means I'll spend even less time in SD. And Bresnan couldn't verify if there was a way to program in the 30 second skip.

Oh, and this is over HDMI.

Thanks
post #24 of 1510 Old 12-22-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrock View Post

Ok, so I'm trying to get the settings optimized for resolution. HD is fine at 1080i. But when I try to get the SD set, it is a bit akward. To get the image in the right aspect, I have to choose 480i, with auto letterbox on. Then I have to hit the fill button on my westy 37w3. If auto letterbox is off, the screen is too wide. Without fill, too narrow. If I use 480p, with no auto letterbox, the aspect is fine, but I get garbage lines on top. If I use 720p, I get the best image, but the image is stretched out, and garbage on top. If I use...Well you get the point.

The only setting that seems right is 480i, auto letterbox, with panel set to fill. But then if I switch to HD, I have to remember to un-fill the screen. PITA. And the picture at 480i is really awful. Grainy and interlace artifacts. So I'm not sure what to do here. Anybody else played with these settings and come up with a better solution? Am I missing something? I didn't have these same problems with the moto 6412.

But on the other hand, I get much better response to the remote, and haven't had any lockups. And more recording time and expansion options. Guess it means I'll spend even less time in SD. And Bresnan couldn't verify if there was a way to program in the 30 second skip.

Oh, and this is over HDMI.

Thanks

I'm having the same problem - but in addition, when I do get the aspect ratio set for full screen on one HD channel (I can change the ratio on my Panny TV), when I change to other channels and then back to the HD channel - the ratio has changed. I'm also on HDMI
post #25 of 1510 Old 12-22-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Just picked up a TDC775 from Bresnan yesterday. I also still have my Moto 6412. I am going to rent both boxes for a month to see whether there are any worthwhile differences. The one thing I noticed last night after I hooked up the Pace is that the graphics from the box didn't seem as smooth as those from the Moto. Other than that it would appear that the Pace at this point is simply a clone of the Moto (with the changes to the resolution output). Hopefully they will add features. I plan to pause frames from both boxes and try to compare image quality this weekend - we'll see how it goes.
post #26 of 1510 Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Great idea doing a side by side. My initial comparison of the two (Over HDMI):

HD PQ: tie (though my memory is fallable here)
SD PQ: 6412
Heat: Tahoe is cooler
Sound level: 6412 quieter when cool, Tahoe quiter when hot (6412 fan is annoying)
Remote response (using same remote on both): Tahoe by a mile
FF: Tahoe faster and smoother, quicker response
Resolution setup: 6412
Recording time: Tahoe, 160GB vs. 120GB
External drive: Tahoe (eSATA)
Input config: Tahoe, component pass-through, audio passthrough
OSD: 6412, more status info

Let me know what you come up with, on your side by side. For me, the benefits of having larger hard drive and eSATA, plus good remote response and no lockups (I'm lucky I didn't throw the remote through the screen or crush it on the 64121) outweigh the downside of poor SD PQ and inferior resolution/letter-pillar box options. If I never have to look at an SD commercial again, I'll never miss it. Maybe some firmware/software updates will improve the SD issues. Glad to have another Bresnan user on thread!
post #27 of 1510 Old 12-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Had another odd thing happen last night. In the middle of playing a recorded show, I hit the rewind button, and the screen went blank. Switched back to a broadcasting channel and it was ok. But when I went to play anything recorded, it was just blank. Had to reboot the box (unplugged it for a minute). When it came up, I noticed that my % of space used by the dvr had dropped from 26% to 12% for the five shows. Three of tghe five shows played fine, but two movies I had recorded would only come up with the delete button when I tried to play them--nothing left, so I had to delete them.

So obviously this box still has some firmware/software problems. Hope the word starts filtering back to Pace, or whomever is writing the updates for this box.
post #28 of 1510 Old 12-24-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So obviously this box still has some firmware/software problems. Hope the word starts filtering back to Pace, or whomever is writing the updates for this box.

Hi,

I'm a member of the Tahoe software team and yes we do monitor your experiences on this forum.

For the recording that played back back, I'd be grateful if you could answer the following:

1. Was this on an analog channel?
2. How long was the box up at this point?

If you don't know if it was analog, you can check (assuming the recording still exists), by going into diagnostics (page 25) and looking at the attributes for that particular recording.

Quote:

Had to reboot the box (unplugged it for a minute).

FYI..safest way to reboot is to go into standby, wait 20 seconds and pull the power.

Quote:

Three of tghe five shows played fine, but two movies I had recorded would only come up with the delete button when I tried to play them--nothing left, so I had to delete them.

Do you know if these were analog also?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #29 of 1510 Old 12-24-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so I'm trying to get the settings optimized for resolution. HD is fine at 1080i. But when I try to get the SD set, it is a bit akward.

I'm sorry, but could you clarify some things for me?

1. Are you using the Power Menu (i.e. Power + Menu buttons back to back) to configure video output resolutions and auto pillar boxing?

2. Have you tried the same settings on the Component outputs? If so, what were the results?

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #30 of 1510 Old 12-24-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer970 View Post

Other than that it would appear that the Pace at this point is simply a clone of the Moto (with the changes to the resolution output). Hopefully they will add features.

Its true that both Tahoe and the 6412 run TV Guide so the primary User Interface/User experience will, by definition, be very similar.

But Tahoe is by no means a clone. Here are a couple of significant (IMHO) software and hardware differences:

1. eSATA port is functional (as wildrock pointed out).
2. HDD spin down in standby (if you use it in your bedroom etc.).
3. Lots of diagnostics enhancements/details.
4. PowerMenu for configuring video outputs, captions and front panel/energy settings.
5. Lots of additional video outputs (as wildrock also pointed out).
6. Front panel notification of DRM attributes (lock icon), HD content, surround sound.
7. Front panel display of active tuner (both recording and playback).

There are other differences, but I'll leave it up to you guys to explore and find out.

Linden
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page