Enable Firewire Port on 6412? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi! Very informative forum you have here. Thanks for the info.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere in these forums and I didn't see it; I've been looking around for awhile.

MySpecs: Comcast Motorola 6412, firmware 9.19 in the Denver area, installed May 2005. 2 Firewire ports, but it looks like neither are enabled (0); 5C for analog is 0, 1 on HD channels.

So after looking around these forums, am I to assume that the only way to get an enabled firewire port is to swap out the box for a new one? That there is no way to enable it myself?

Also, I also have a DVD recorder with a Firewire input for video cameras in front. Was wondering if with an enabled firewire port on the 6412 you can connect a DVD recorder via firewire and make dvd copies that way, or because of software of one/both ends just won't work?

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 10:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Your 6412 with 9.19 firmware (meaning it must be a Phase II box) already has the firewire ports active, or almost certainly it does.

But I believe that only D-VHS VCR's connected by firewire to the 6412 are recognized as valid firewire target devices for offloading from the DVR. Many many of us (including myself) have such an arrangement, using either JVC or Mitsubishi D-VHS VCR's connected to the 6412 via firewire and performing successful archiving from DVR to D-VHS.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying!

Just so I'm clear, you're saying that even though it says 0, not 1 or 2, after "Active Ports" under the 1394 menu in the super secret menu, you think because my firmware is 9.19 at least one if not both firewire ports are enabled. So I could hook up a PC, but not a DVD Recorder, via firewire.

And that's a bummer that the front firewire ports on dvd recorders don't support that 6412 function. Oh well, it was a nice thought.

Again, thanks for your response!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

You are legally entitled (by the FCC regulations) to a working firewire port from your HD Cable Box and you can demand (politely request) one, and get it.

The DV input on a DVD player does not accept the firewire HD signal. It is intended for dubbing from DV camcorders which is another signal format. The plug is the same though. DVD cannot record HD signal anyway, as DVD is SD.