VIP 622 - Great HD, Extra-Lousy SD Picture - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'll ask here, since noone answered my topic...
A simple question that the CSRs at Dish had no clue about...
I have a 4:3 Letterbox HDTV & I'm wondering does the box output at 1080i on HD content AND have a 4:3 overide for SD content to display 480i back to full screen? Much like the Moto cable boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchee3 View Post

I don't think the 622 will output 480i content over HDMI.

Last night I confirmed that the 622 will output 480i over HDMI (Sony SXRD).
post #33 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

I have a 4:3 Letterbox HDTV & I'm wondering does the box output at 1080i on HD content AND have a 4:3 overide for SD content to display 480i back to full screen? Much like the Moto cable boxes.

There are some options for supporting 4:3 HDTVs, which I believe will work for your situation. I can't comment how well the 4:3 modes work since I've never owned a 4x3 HD set (not sure why one would want to).
post #34 of 45 Old 08-31-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolard View Post

Just to add my feedback, I just got a 622 a few days ago, upgraded from my SD 522. So far the HD is of course outstanding, and the SD is better than it was on my 522. I am using an HDMI to DVI cable, and sending from the 622 to the tv in 1080i.

Jolard - what kind of display do you have? You seem to be on track with where I am looking to go - a 622 feeding to a DVI input (via HDMI) on my plasma. But this SD quality discussion has me concerned.
post #35 of 45 Old 09-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

Mine is hooked up via component to my Sony KP53HS30, which is a 4x3 RPTV that does 1080i and 480p.

The answer is no. This idiotic box that probably cost them $1000 to sell me does not have a native mode passthrough. I cannot view SD unless it's "postage stamped" on my 4x3 TV. The 2-year old Hughes HD-HTL I had w/D* did.

To say I'm annoyed is a gross understatement. Since this unit can output 480i via component, I would expect this oughta be a firmware update. Not that I'm holding my breath or anything.
post #36 of 45 Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

There are some options for supporting 4:3 HDTVs, which I believe will work for your situation. I can't comment how well the 4:3 modes work since I've never owned a 4x3 HD set (not sure why one would want to).

The reason people buy 4x3s that do HD is because 90% of TV is SD. Given a choice- which is rare these days- I'd still rather do that instead of watching a stretched mode. All those hours you spend working on convergence, picture tuning, etc and you'll watch elliptical balls rolling across a pool table. Not my cup of tea!

Anyway, those options don't work since the unit does not pass 480i to the TV. Any way you cut it, if you've a 4x3 HDTV, you're going to get 'postage stamped'.
post #37 of 45 Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus View Post

The reason people buy 4x3s that do HD is because 90% of TV is SD. Given a choice- which is rare these days- I'd still rather do that instead of watching a stretched mode. All those hours you spend working on convergence, picture tuning, etc and you'll watch elliptical balls rolling across a pool table. Not my cup of tea!

90% of TV is SD, yes. BUT, I would say anyone with an HDTV does not watch 90% SD and 10% HD. I have an HD front projector setup and for me personally it's 90% HD and 10% SD. However, I also subscribe to Dish so there's tons more HD material to choose from than most cable/Direct TV subscribers. When I do watch SD programs, I watch them in their native format with black bars on the sides. I can't stand stretch modes, even the best ones on the nicest plasma screens. I'm still perplexed that so many 16:9 HD set owners insist on having the entire screen filled with something no matter what they're watching! It's actually not that bad letting 4:3 actually display in it's native format with black bars on the sides - you just have to get used to it. For me it would take far longer adjusting to the "elliptical balls on the pool table" than just letting 4:3 display as 4:3! Just thought I'd add my own thoughts FWIW.
post #38 of 45 Old 10-06-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplebuddy View Post

90% of TV is SD, yes. BUT, I would say anyone with an HDTV does not watch 90% SD and 10% HD. I have an HD front projector setup and for me personally it's 90% HD and 10% SD. However, I also subscribe to Dish so there's tons more HD material to choose from than most cable/Direct TV subscribers. When I do watch SD programs, I watch them in their native format with black bars on the sides. I can't stand stretch modes, even the best ones on the nicest plasma screens. I'm still perplexed that so many 16:9 HD set owners insist on having the entire screen filled with something no matter what they're watching! It's actually not that bad letting 4:3 actually display in it's native format with black bars on the sides - you just have to get used to it. For me it would take far longer adjusting to the "elliptical balls on the pool table" than just letting 4:3 display as 4:3! Just thought I'd add my own thoughts FWIW.

I never stretch my 4:3 to widescreen because of course it is going to make it look worse. I have a 622 and have used it on a 60" SD RPTV and a 65" HDTV and think the picture looks fine on both. I do think it is funny though that people keep saying dish is so bad at SD, I what there source is. Years ago when I got my 60" SD RPTV I did some research and found that the experts opinions, in the various A/V magazines, and found that because large TVs magnify every issue with the SD signal it was best to go with Satellite. Now this was before cable had digital signals, maybe they have improved, but back then there was a major difference.

I use and HDMI interface and send my SD signal at 1080i and think they look fine. I however, may be easier to please because I am coming from a 60" SD set and the bigger you go the worse SD will look.
post #39 of 45 Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 PM

Does anyone know if you can download info from the 622 to a pc via tha USB or ethernet ports?
post #40 of 45 Old 12-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparish21 View Post

Does anyone know if you can download info from the 622 to a pc via tha USB or ethernet ports?

If your talking programs than no. They are not allowed to design them where you can download video off them. Even if there was a workaround there would probably be a pretty big fine.
post #41 of 45 Old 02-14-2007, 02:14 PM

My HD Set is setup for 720p @ 16x9. However, my other SD TV (4:3) is cropping all HD downconverted content. Anyone know of a way to force the SD set to show letterbox?

Thanks!!
post #42 of 45 Old 02-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Push the star * key to cycle between crop and letterbox
post #43 of 45 Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks!!

Stoopid girl at Dish said that I had to press page up while setting up for recording an item (which does nothing as far as I can tell)...
post #44 of 45 Old 07-13-2007, 08:59 PM

I just asked DISH about native pass through on the VIP622 by software update. Here is the reply:

Thank you for your email. At this time I do not have any information concerning when native pass through will be available through us. I apologize for any inconvenience but unfortunately there is no estimated date for this software release. You may be able to connect your TV2 out to your DVDO scaler if it has two inputs and simply use the swap button on your remote when your receiver is in single user mode. That could be a feasible option, but may be more trouble than changing the HD format. I apologize I can't give you more information than this.

Andrew S. Mansfield
post #45 of 45 Old 07-16-2007, 07:24 AM

what do you mean? I thought the vip622 did native pass through thru Component video?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page