Lost Dolby Digital 5.1 with Comcast DVR overnight? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am curious if this has happened to anyone else. I have a Comcast DVR from Motorola and I keep it powered on all the time. For some reason today I lost the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. It only seems to be outputting Stereo 2 channel PCM sound. When I watched TV last night it was outputting in 5.1 fine, but tonight when I turned on the TV and Receiver it was only in 2 channel stereo. I know it is not my Receiver because I am getting 5.1 fine from my DVD player. I also checked some shows that I have saved that I know for sure are in Dolby 5.1 and they are only playing in two channel as well. Does anyone know if Comcast sent some type of update out or anything that might have changed the sound on the box because I never touched the settings at all?

I thought maybe it was a broadcast issue, but since the saved programs are playing wrong as well I know it has to be my box and it is only hooked up to the Receiver via a Toslink Digital cable no analog cables at all.

Thanks

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2006, 09:13 PM

Press and hold Power on the reciever for 3-5secs until screen says "boot", then release. Wait for it to display the current time and turn back on reciever. 5.1 restored :)

-Derek-
post #3 of 5 Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Do you mean Press and Hold the Power on the cable box remote?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well I did what you said. It never said "boot" but the 5.1 sound did come back. I was afraid to hit the "Power" button because last time I did that I could never get my video back. I only had the menus, but no picture or sound at all. Then I had to power it down which I hate because you lose all your guide info and it takes like hours for it all to come back.

Thanks again -- 5.1 is back :)
post #5 of 5 Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Always try a reboot first when fishy things start happening, the cable box is computing equipment and can benefit from a reboot just like a PC. My box will get the no video thing after power on-off but if you reboot it will work fine for several weeks. Just pull the plug for a few seconds and plug it back in, before you go to bed and the guide will have reloaded almost the 2 weeks by morning.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page