Comcast TiVo DVR - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4010 Old 06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to reboot my 3412 almost daily to keep the DVR portion working. The rest of it works fine, but the DVR has about a 50-60% to just completely lock up and require a power-plug operation if I pause, FF or REW anything (or for any other reason, even when it's turned off).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4010 Old 06-12-2006, 02:58 PM

I have the 3412, compared to Tivo, 3412's search ability is laughable. Nothing like wishlist.

I get wrong show when the guide data clearly states it's the wrong show, but the 3412 picks it up since it occupies the time slot that the show I wanted is in. Some other wrong recordings seem to be due to bad guide data, but c'mon 3412 is running iGuide from TV guide, you'd think they should have at least the guide data right. I never had any problem with Tivo's guide data in 3+ years.

The 3412's trick play is jumpy and annoying, on rewind spped 1, hitting play always takes a few seconds delay to respond, requiring having to FF again. I would happily pay $10 more for Tivo, my main complaints:

1) Weak search
2) Unreliable recording
3) Unresponsive trick play

Pretty much your bread and butter of DVR functionalities
post #93 of 4010 Old 06-12-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Raymo View Post

OK. According to Comcast Corporate, they are beginning testing in an R&D Lab in Phila. PA. They MIGHT add some beta testers in THAT city only before launch. Launch timing remains 2006 (that's the most they'd say.)

Hi Rick,

In House Beta testing of TiVo Softwhere completed in may. There are currently 7 Head Ends / Cable Plants in select Comcast Markets that are completeing Hardware and System buildout so that they can begin active user Beta Testing.

Rollout of Beta Software is by end of month.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #94 of 4010 Old 06-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've heard that Denver isn't one of the beta testing markets. Guess I'll just have to wait until the beta test is over.
post #95 of 4010 Old 06-12-2006, 09:59 PM

Is Detroit a beta area?

Andy

Around the survivors, a perimeter create! - Yoda
post #96 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

There are currently 7 Head Ends / Cable Plants in select Comcast Markets that are completeing Hardware and System buildout so that they can begin active user Beta Testing.

Why are head end / plant changes required?

57 channels and nothing on
post #97 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

Better/ Different guide data, perhaps?

(please Boston be a test area! )
post #98 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Each software type is ran and operated off of a independent server system. The TiVo software will be used along with the current or new version of the IGuide software.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #99 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly5 View Post

Better/ Different guide data, perhaps?

(please Boston be a test area! )

The report I read stated 2 Large head ends and 2 medium sized Headends and 2 smaller Headends.

looks like they want to cover all of there bases for once.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #100 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

scanpa,

What about the MSFT software running on 34xx/64xx here in Washington state? Will that have any impact on making TiVo software available here? I would think not, but one nevers knows for sure.

Do you have any info or thoughts on whether the MSFT software will stay or go?

Dave
post #101 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The STB has to be able to download the software from somewhere.
post #102 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyInCA View Post

Not to mention that you would be hacking a box that you don't own!

Some people OWN their Moto DVRs!! It depends on the market you are in.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #103 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

<<snip>>
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Raymo
OK. According to Comcast Corporate, they are beginning testing in an R&D Lab in Phila. PA. They MIGHT add some beta testers in THAT city only before launch. Launch timing remains 2006 (that's the most they'd say.)

Hi Rick,

In House Beta testing of TiVo Softwhere completed in may. There are currently 7 Head Ends / Cable Plants in select Comcast Markets that are completeing Hardware and System buildout so that they can begin active user Beta Testing.

Rollout of Beta Software is by end of month.

<<snip>>
Typical. I call and chase this in depth--and am given totally wrong information.
I'm glad the corporate shills I spoke to were wrong though.
Any word on which seven markets?
Thanks for the update--it is appreciated.

Rick Raymo,
Knucklehead Extraordinaire
post #104 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

Some people OWN their Moto DVRs!! It depends on the market you are in.

True, but does Comcast operate in Canada? You could maybe lose an explanation point or two to calmly make the point that while the Comcast customers in this thread might not own the box, there are advantages to living up north and having a different cable provider that does allow you to own the box.
post #105 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galfridus73 View Post

It's actually required in Canada - the providers aren't allowed to rent the equipment to you.

That's nonsense.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #106 of 4010 Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldon View Post

True, but does Comcast operate in Canada?

You miss my point entirely. "Comcast customers" aren't the only people who might develop "hacks" for the box.

We in Canada are developing work-arounds to use larger hard drives in the Moto boxes and we can "play" to our heart's content; but even you Comcast users might benefit from our "hacking"!

" - MLK

post #107 of 4010 Old 06-14-2006, 04:23 AM

I thought this thread was about TiVo software on these boxes. (confused)
post #108 of 4010 Old 06-14-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

That's nonsense.

Maybe so... but bicker1 is right - this thread is about the software, not the box itself or what Canadian regs may or may not exist. So let's just drop it, smile sweetly at each other, and talk about some software, okay?
post #109 of 4010 Old 06-14-2006, 10:38 PM

Well, while dealing with an On Demand issue on my Moto box (a 3412, swapped by a tech with a 6408(!), then swapped again today by me with a phase III 6412... none of them acccess OD), I can tell you that the office staff at my local Comcast office looked at me completely blankly when I asked about the TiVo software.

Now, not that I expect a service clerk behind a counter to tell me the wheres and whatfors of the TiVo service... but i would think that Comcast would have a flyer or something for their staff so they could at least answer consistently...

I will say one thing, though: After dealing with the swapping of the DVRs and the constant On Demand problem, I'm going to try and guilt them into putting me on a metro Detroit beta (if the beta goes outside of Philly) when our system is ready.

And, no, I don't seriously think that will work. But it's worth a shot...
post #110 of 4010 Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Boston area gets alot of these things first so I wouldn't be surprised if we're part of the testing...

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #111 of 4010 Old 06-15-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:

Now, not that I expect a service clerk behind a counter to tell me the wheres and whatfors of the TiVo service... but i would think that Comcast would have a flyer or something for their staff so they could at least answer consistently...

I wouldn't expect something like that. The last thing a company wants to do is put a greater burden on their front-line staff than they already are forced to, in order to keep costs low. They need their front-line staff to be focused on supporting the services they offer, not diverting their focus on to services that they may someday offer.
post #112 of 4010 Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I wouldn't expect something like that. The last thing a company wants to do is put a greater burden on their front-line staff than they already are forced to, in order to keep costs low. They need their front-line staff to be focused on supporting the services they offer, not diverting their focus on to services that they may someday offer.

Agreed -- especially as dates and details can slip or change. Most companies keep mum internally until ready for product launch.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
post #113 of 4010 Old 06-15-2006, 09:43 AM

I just made the switch to Comcast's hd dvr, but I did so kicking and screaming because I love my Tivo. I called Tivo to cancel my account today with the full intention of returning when their Series 3 comes out. While I was talking the the CSR he asked if I was a Comcast subscriber and then told me that he has been seeing special accounts pop up recently that they are supposed to watch because these are the Comcast subscribers currently beta testing the new Tivo service.

Unless the guy was lying to me, and I don't know why he would, this would seem to confirm that beta testing is already underway.
post #114 of 4010 Old 06-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:

he has been seeing special accounts pop up recently that they are supposed to watch because

Could you please clarify this? Is there some way we can get ourselves put in as beta testers, by unsubscribing from TiVo Service? or by staying as a TiVo subscriber?
post #115 of 4010 Old 06-15-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Therefore, Comcast should be giving them a script of some sort... something that has them actually sound like they're better informed than someone who does not work for the company. Even if it is a simple "We can't comment on that right now. Wait for an announcement," at least I would know they're somewhat informed.

(I should note that I'm in a special circumstance: I manage a call center that supports 45,000 people and I expect my staff to be informed as to what is going on and to be able to handle rumor control in addition to the troubleshooting they have to do. And, yes, I know that's rare in customer service... but it works well for my users.)

To call back to jocoze:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoze View Post

I just made the switch to Comcast's hd dvr, but I did so kicking and screaming because I love my Tivo. I called Tivo to cancel my account today with the full intention of returning when their Series 3 comes out. While I was talking the the CSR he asked if I was a Comcast subscriber and then told me that he has been seeing special accounts pop up recently that they are supposed to watch because these are the Comcast subscribers currently beta testing the new Tivo service.

Unless the guy was lying to me, and I don't know why he would, this would seem to confirm that beta testing is already underway.

See, I find that very interesting. It had been generally thought, after scanpa knocked down my idea that the customers would be both Comcast & TiVo customers (not just Comcast customers), that it would just be a TiVo service offered by Comcast.

If TiVo is actually maintaining some sort of accounts for the beta testers, then there may be more than meets the eye here. That would mean that TiVo has some sort of need to have those subscribers on their system - either for guide data or HMO/MRV options, or something. Perhaps the remote scheduling that the regular TiVos can do through Yahoo? That would be nice... (which reminds me: does anyone know if Comcast Labs' beta of http://tvplanner.net has anything to do with the TiVo rollout?)

Am I getting my hopes up? No, I'm not. Would I be happy to see this as more of a TiVo-Comcast partnership than TiVo-DirecTV was, one that diddn't treat the TV provider's users as second-class citizens? Oh, hell yes.

I guess we just wait. At this point I'm just happy to be rid of the god-awful 6408 I had in the house for four days.
post #116 of 4010 Old 06-15-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Could you please clarify this? Is there some way we can get ourselves put in as beta testers, by unsubscribing from TiVo Service? or by staying as a TiVo subscriber?

The CSR wasn't offering to put me on the beta test. I would think that would be Comcast's decision. He was just making small talk because I mentioned to him that I was switching to the Comcast DVR but I would return as a Tivo customer as soon as the Series 3 came out. He then asked if I had heard that Tivo was going to be working with Comcast. I said yes and he said that he had started to see accounts for the beta test and that they(the CSRs) were supposed to keep an eye on them.

Thats all he said I didn't ask any followup questions about how to get in on the beta test. Me canceling or staying a subscriber had nothing to do with the Comcast beta test. It was just small talk.
post #117 of 4010 Old 06-16-2006, 03:31 AM

Quote:

Therefore, Comcast should be giving them a script of some sort... something that has them actually sound like they're better informed than someone who does not work for the company.

It is unreasonable to expect that everyone working for a company will be as passionate about the company's products and services as rabid fans who voluntarily spend significant leisure time on an Internet bulletin board devoted to those products and services.

Quote:

Even if it is a simple "We can't comment on that right now. Wait for an announcement," at least I would know they're somewhat informed.

Rather, they should always say, "Sorry, I don't know about that," whenever a question is asked that they don't know the answer to. However, what many call-center workers have indicated is that many callers are actually abusive to them if they try to politely decline to answer a question, which is outside the purview of their job responsibilities. That's the crux of the problem I believe.
post #118 of 4010 Old 06-18-2006, 06:54 PM
km

One nice thing about Tivo's is that you can give them different IR addresses so they can live in the same room without problems on the remote. Thats not true for the 3412's. I wonder if the Tivo software will fix that.

Also, is it clear if Comcast will be charging extra for each box with Tivo software? They don't charge by the box for premimum channels, and Directv does not charge by the box for Tivo support.
post #119 of 4010 Old 06-18-2006, 08:12 PM

OK, my 6412 started doing something strange yesterday. My Comcast universal remote will no longer control my Sony TV power/volume. I tried to reprogram, but it wouldn't accept the Sony IR codes. However, I can now control the volume of the cable box itself, which it's never done before. Not sure if my toddler somehow unlocked the volume when she was playing with the remote or if this is the first rollout of the TIVO-enhanced software. Anybody else have this happen?
post #120 of 4010 Old 06-23-2006, 12:47 PM

Patiently, well maybe not patiently, waiting for the latest information from Scanpa or anyone else about the public beta rollout. Will the "word" come on the TV menu message from Comcast?
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page